Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Karnowski returning

I hope we get to see him on the post-game NCAA interview circuit again next March. . .

Very happy to read this news.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

He certainly has improved over his career and I don't think he will hit a wall any time soon. I expect he will earn some good money at this before he is done.
    I miss Mike Hart

I was much more worried that Shem might have become more homesick over time and was truly considering playing in Europe than I am that Kyle won't come back. (He will.) This is good news. Now let's find a transfer or two to use up some of our four schollies available.

Shem sees the obvious and it is the same argument I use for Wiltjer voicing the "possibility" of entering the draft. It is important to gauge ones value and to at least hear what everyone's opinion is. The only problem with using social media, or any media for that matter, is that rumors and naysayers can become nasty. But these guys don't exactly have self esteem issues and the majority of criticism is constructive, so I am surprised Domas didn't admit the "possibility" either. He clearly has the upside potential that NBA GMs and coaches drool over.

People go to college to get better jobs. Show me one computer science major or electrical engineer who wouldn't leave college early if Apple or MicroSoft offered them a 250K salary. Yet we seem to disparage athletes who leave early on that same salary to play overseas? Heck, I'd say 9 out of 10 students would leave college early and accept ANY JOB offer that paid 6 figures starting out let alone a job in their major.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Kyle Wiltjer is interested in playing in the NBA and will. He is just feeling the water. That's all. He is a smart person, imo. He knows he will get a much better offer next year if he plays in the NCAA. He's second team All American this year, and will hopefully be first team next year. Who knows, he could end up player of the year. He came close this year.

So I have not engaged much on believing he is leaving this year. Why would he?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Default Happy Hour special:

2-4-1 more year!

Welcome back Shem. Now, please trim down to 270lbs and get that body fat % to below 10%!

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Welcome back Shem. Now, please trim down to 270lbs and get that body fat % to below 10%!
    That would probably impress a few GM's.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    That would probably impress a few GM's.
    Yep. That would significantly increase his mobility on D and ability to defend PnR on NBA level. 270lbs would be more than sufficient to push guys around in the NBA.

Yep. That would significantly increase his mobility on D and ability to defend PnR on NBA level. 270lbs would be more than sufficient to push guys around in the NBA.
    Seems a little weird that that has not been a huge priority to the point they make it virtually impossible to put on weight through the season. Dunno, some people are just genetically wired differently and it is very hard to keep off.

He most certainly did come in last season in much better shape physically last year, and thought he improved throughout the year generally, I like to think it could have been even more impressive had he stayed far lighter on his feet.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Seems a little weird that that has not been a huge priority to the point they make it virtually impossible to put on weight through the season. Dunno, some people are just genetically wired differently and it is very hard to keep off.

He most certainly did come in last season in much better shape physically last year, and thought he improved throughout the year generally, I like to think it could have been even more impressive had he stayed far lighter on his feet.
    Yep.

Marc Gasol was also predisposed to being overweight since his teen years:

And while he has trimmed down when he got into NBA, this last year he got into an even better shape and has had his best season yet:

Mind over matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    Shem sees the obvious and it is the same argument I use for Wiltjer voicing the "possibility" of entering the draft. It is important to gauge ones value and to at least hear what everyone's opinion is. The only problem with using social media, or any media for that matter, is that rumors and naysayers can become nasty. But these guys don't exactly have self esteem issues and the majority of criticism is constructive, so I am surprised Domas didn't admit the "possibility" either. He clearly has the upside potential that NBA GMs and coaches drool over.

People go to college to get better jobs. Show me one computer science major or electrical engineer who wouldn't leave college early if Apple or MicroSoft offered them a 250K salary. Yet we seem to disparage athletes who leave early on that same salary to play overseas? Heck, I'd say 9 out of 10 students would leave college early and accept ANY JOB offer that paid 6 figures starting out let alone a job in their major.
    Thanks, Oregonzagnut..this is precisely what I tell all my friends/family who have a knee-jerk negative reaction and judgment toward the news of any athlete who leaves college early to play professionally. The fact is, nowadays an undergraduate degree is no guarantee of lifelong employment or a 'ticket out of poverty' as it has been in generations past. Heck, I know plenty of folks with graduate degrees who are chronically underemployed.

If I was an English major and the N.Y. Times offered me a six figure salary to leave school early and work for them as a reporter, it'd be a no brainer.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Thanks, Oregonzagnut..this is precisely what I tell all my friends/family who have a knee-jerk negative reaction and judgment toward the news of any athlete who leaves college early to play professionally. The fact is, nowadays an undergraduate degree is no guarantee of lifelong employment or a 'ticket out of poverty' as it has been in generations past. Heck, I know plenty of folks with graduate degrees who are chronically underemployed.

If I was an English major and the N.Y. Times offered me a six figure salary to leave school early and work for them as a reporter, it'd be a no brainer.
    I don't think disparage is the right word, so much as think the athlete is making the wrong decision. The difference in your analogy is that the offer you mention above is probably the best offer you would get regardless of whether you stayed another year. In the case of a couple of these guys, they could triple or quadruple their value by improving certain facets of their game. In either case, as fans we should support their decisions and cheer them on in their endeavors

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I don't think disparage is the right word, so much as think the athlete is making the wrong decision. The difference in your analogy is that the offer you mention above is probably the best offer you would get regardless of whether you stayed another year. In the case of a couple of these guys, they could triple or quadruple their value by improving certain facets of their game. In either case, as fans we should support their decisions and cheer them on in their endeavors
    See this is what y'all are missing. Read this post. Thanks
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

It's true that an undergrad degree is no guarantee of lifelong employment nor is it a ticket out of poverty, but it dramatically increases your odds of lifelong employment and living out of poverty. A pro contract comes with no guarantees against career ending injuries, or inability to play at the level required to hold your position. In academics, it's mind over matter and sheer determination is 99% of what it takes to succeed in most fields. It's true that (like pro basketball) some fields are more rigorous and there is fierce competition for jobs, but in most instances, the degree and a good work ethic is enough to succeed. True, the retired baller can always go back to school and pursue a career later, but don't think for a minute age is not a factor in that equation either. That's one of the many reasons I'm against telling Freshman they can't be starters on the team, an idea being kicked around now. Yes it might help more of them get up to speed academically, but why punish them for being young? It's just as unfair as punishing them for being old.

With the exception of the few freshmen talented enough to make a big splash in the pros at age 19 or 20, it's always best to get that degree, enjoy the college life, and worry about a career when you're done. Why mess with the current system, it isn't broke. I suspect the graduation rate among college athletes may be higher than among non-athletes. Just a guess.

Yep.

Marc Gasol was also predisposed to being overweight since his teen years:

And while he has trimmed down when he got into NBA, this last year he got into an even better shape and has had his best season yet:

Mind over matter!
    That makes me think of Kevin Love. He was pudgy throughout high school. Slimmed down a bit during his 1 year at UCLA, but still kinda soft. Since he's been in the NBA he has completely transformed his body, he's much sleeker and more athletic, really a different player, reinvented himself. It's not easy but it's possible.

I hope he sheds even more off this summer and then they monitor it more closely during the year. It will really help his play and it will impress pro scouts.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

No disrespect to anyone, but based upon vertical leap and speed I am very doubtful that Karno has a future in the NBA, but I cannot imagine why he would not want to enjoy another fantastic year in Spokane (especially if he has a girlfriend who is still there). Stay in Spokane, make some connections in Washington State and Oregon State and elsewhere, and then choose your path, which may be to return to Poland to play ball or might be something else. I would be happy to buy my next Mercedes 500SL from the Big Pole.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

No disrespect on some of our posters--- the same was said about D Stockton ----sometimes your just wrong. Only time will tell.

Sometimes the only thing standing in our players way is themselves.... some just need the motivation to put in the extra work to go the extra mile--- Kelly is a great example--he put in the work and he reaped the rewards.

Karno has the ability to get there--he just needs to put his mind to it.

Go Zags

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    He certainly has improved over his career and I don't think he will hit a wall any time soon. I expect he will earn some good money at this before he is done.
    When Karno hits the wall, I'm putting my money on Karno.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    When Karno hits the wall, I'm putting my money on Karno.
    Karnowski has legit shot at the nba. If his quickness and vertical improved he would be a first rounder. In either case, he will be a very good pro somewhere. Lucky to have him at GU

Count me in as one who think Karno can be a first rounder after his senior year. The dude is MASSIVE. NBA, College, Europe. There just arent guys that are that big around. If he can get his body sculpted more, which I dont think can be a huge dilemma, and improve his quickness just a little bit, the guy is HUGE, has a soft touch, is a great passer and is left handed. IF i am him, i spend a lot of time in Spokane this offseason just working on my body.

Not sure where or for how long Karno will play for pay, but I would assume that afterwards he has higher aspirations than hawking automobiles, not that there's anything wrong that. Pretty self congratulatory and condescending comment, 75.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Count me in as one who think Karno can be a first rounder after his senior year. The dude is MASSIVE. NBA, College, Europe. There just arent guys that are that big around. If he can get his body sculpted more, which I dont think can be a huge dilemma, and improve his quickness just a little bit, the guy is HUGE, has a soft touch, is a great passer and is left handed. IF i am him, i spend a lot of time in Spokane this offseason just working on my body.
    You're correct but this is one big dude that will probably come out next year with PK.

I would love to see a game with Irvine in the Kennel.

Mammado Enjeye (I know I butchered the entire spelling of that name.) I am sorry, but at work, where they have blocked mostly everything but this board, lol.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.