Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official National Title Game Discussion Thread: Wisconsin vs. Duke

Default Official National Title Game Discussion Thread: Wisconsin vs. Duke

6:18 PT = (1) Wisconsin vs. (1) Duke

In case you need a reminder, both teams faced each other on December 3 in Madison. Duke won 80-70. The Blue Devils shot 65.2% in the game. Tyus Jones was nearly unstoppable with 22 points, 6 boards and 4 assists.

I am going with Duke in this game. Although it is very hard for a great team to beat another great team two times in a row, I just have a hard time believing, despite their claims to the contrary, that Wisconsin is going to bring the same amount of energy and intensity to this game as they did the UK game. Saturday's win wasn't just about bringing down an undefeated team....it was also about taking down a team who had finished them off in the previous year's tournament. It was the ultimate revenge game.

Also, as great as Wisconsin looked against UK and Zona, I still feel Duke is playing the best basketball of anyone in the tournament right now. And you also have Coach K's coaching experience at this level. I like that as well.

That being said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Badgers won tonight.

Here's a nice game preview (keys to the game) from TSN:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...frank-kaminsky

Duke.

Everyone knows the road to the championship goes through Gonzaga.

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Badgers in a nail biter. Dekker gets MVP

I thought I read somewhere that Cal didn't bother to spend much time watching tape of Wisconsin. All the more reason to believe that whilst he is a great recruiter... Xs and Os... not so much.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

One of our workers that came up from down south said she is a "Huge" "Duke" "fan"..... Ive never seen her ever talk about the team, and we have seen her about 50 times in the last 7 years and I also worked with her before that down south for 3 years, so a total f 10 years, and she's never said a thing.

"Huge"?

Sure, whatever. Bet you she doesn't even know who they beat in the Elite Eight? She also saw all my Gonzaga stuff in my office and didn't say anything. LOL

On Wisconsin.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    One of our workers that came up from down south said she is a "Huge" "Duke" "fan"..... "Huge"?
    Several years ago, I was listening to a show on ESPN radio while driving to work. One of the co-hosts had been a lineman in the NFL, so when callers came on, they were to lead with their first name, their weight and their favorite sports team. Mostly it was men that were calling so it was quite the call when it was " Hi! I'm Betty! I weigh 280 lbs and I'm a HUGE Giants fan"!

Duke 81
    Wisconsin 75

Of course, I have Duke to win a basketball pool so I may be biased...

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Several years ago, I was listening to a show on ESPN radio while driving to work. One of the co-hosts had been a lineman in the NFL, so when callers came on, they were to lead with their first name, their weight and their favorite sports team. Mostly it was men that were calling so it was quite the call when it was " Hi! I'm Betty! I weigh 280 lbs and I'm a HUGE Giants fan"!
    LOL! Priceless!
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I guess I"m for Duke. It makes Gonzaga's loss more noble if Few can point to the fact that "Yeah, we lost to Duke, but no one else beat them, either."

Plus, I'm getting to the point that I have an aversion to Bo Ryan.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

On Wisconsin, fook Duke.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I hope Raftery has a great game! don't care about Nantz and Hill.
    Birddog

They called an offensive foul on Okafor !!

I'm shocked

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Well, as of 7:00 in the first half, Gonzaga proved it could hang with Duke as well as any team in the nation.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The crowd is pretty crazy tonight. Loud as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The crowd is pretty crazy tonight. Loud as heck.
    So loud I can barely hear Nantz and Kellogg which is a good thing I'm learning. The sound technicians don't have it miked right or the guy on the mixer is bad.
    Birddog

Duke not used to getting a foul disadvantage. Look for K to really work the refs in the 2nd half.
    Birddog

There was discussion in a different thread a few days ago about what a low percentage shot the mid-range jumper is. The "drive the lane floater" can't be a much higher percentage shot.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Used to like Duke, now they are my worst team on the planet. Rafferty is driving me crazy...he's been such a homer against Wisconsin the last two games.

Default One wish for next season:

Be more versatile on defense.

Anyone notice Duke employing M2M with Okafor and Zone without him?

BRILLIANT!

We will have the horses to hold their own, yet its imperative given certain match-ups to ZONE.

I understand the WCC is the best shooting conference in the country, yet implementing some zone is helpful when called upon.

Coach Few and our team were ridiculously predictable on defense this year.

We knew they'd attack Pangos, watch GBJ fights thru ball-screens, have Wesley chase the athletic wing, and our bigs to man up one on one.

Awesome, yet Duke's zone is stifling Wisconsin, because it was UNEXPECTED as Okafor rarely gets fouls called on him.

I love it.

I called all season to swith-it-up more. I thought were weren't very versatile or unpredictable…on defense.

I love our M2M and our ability to hold our own, yet occasionally a stiff zone will help.

Not to mention our PG is 6'3", our SG is 6'3", our wing is 6'5"(Alberts and Dranginis) next season…

Our backcourt is bigger and faster and quicker.

Its OK to zone sometimes. I just hope to see it more, at least mix it up, so we can use it when it counts.

MARCH MADNESS!

Spin cycle YESSSS!
    Birddog

Does anyone know how many times GU has lost to the eventual tourney champion? I think it is 3 (UCONN 99, MSU and UNC). I would rather Wisconsin win than to add Duke to that list of champions that knocked out the Zags.

Wisconsin is just playing really good, fundamental basketball. Wait for the good shot on offense, block out on D.

ETA: You know, I love Rafftery, but he seems to be openly rooting for Duke.

Grayson Allen.....I can just tell....he's going to be the next Bobby Hurley. A Dukie that opposing fans love to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Grayson Allen.....I can just tell....he's going to be the next Bobby Hurley. A Dukie that opposing fans love to hate.
    I was thinking the same thing. The kid is really good, but he is already getting under my skin and I'm not sure why. He has confidence that's for sure.

Nice late whistle.

God I hate Duke