Thread: A question on the rules.

Default A question on the rules.

An associate and I were at work, discussing the game (what a surprise) and the topic of the out of bounds play, where Karno was laying down, out of bounds, and the Duke player threw the ball off of him.

Shouldn't Karno have been considered the same as the floor? He clearly had established being OB. I don't know the answer to this.

Thanks, Will

Fascinating. I don't know the answer...but if you can establish yourself as being "in bounds," stands to reason you can be established as "out of bounds" too.

No the rule states that karnowski is still an active player on the play. I wish I could find this specifically in the rules, but the play was called correctly.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Fascinating. I don't know the answer...but if you can establish yourself as being "in bounds," stands to reason you can be established as "out of bounds" too.
    That's true too. And it has been noted in the rules that if a player is injured play does stop after the opposing team has possession of the ball and advanced the ball up the court ... Play was never advanced nor was karnowski injured (just exhausted) ..... So I would expect that karnowski was still a legal person on the play.

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

NCAA Men's Basketball 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 Rules. Rule 7, Out of Bounds and the Thow-in, Article 1 and Article 2, page 72 of 140.

RULE 7
    Out of Bounds and
    the Throw-in
    Section 1. Out of Bounds—Player, Ball
    Art. 1. A player shall be out of bounds when he touches the floor or any object
    other than a person on or outside a boundary line. An airborne player’s status shall
    be where he was last in contact with the floor.
    Art. 2. The ball shall be out of bounds when it touches a player who is out of
    bounds, any other person, the floor or any object on or outside a boundary, the
    supports or back of the backboard, or the ceiling or overhead equipment.

Unfortunately, the out of bounds player was a Zag and the Duke player was still in bounds per Article 1.

Thanks! I'll pass that along! I guess, according to that, if he had landed on Karno, then thrown the ball at Karno, before he touched the floor, it would have been the same. Weird!

Will

That's the way I read Article 1 also, Will. (Kind of like a runner with the ball in football and rolls over a defender on the ground without his knees, hands or elbows touching the ground and continues to run.) And if he landed on Karno and threw the ball in-bounds, it would have remained to be a live ball. Really weird. I can picture the Duke player standing on Karno's back, looking for another Duke player to pass it to. To take it one step further,... Article 1 says, "...other than a person...". It doesn't say, "... other than a player...". Imagine if the Duke player landed on the back of a cheer leader and proceeded to throw the ball to an in-bounds Duke player. Now that would be really, really weird!

If anyone is interested, the link below takes you to the NCAA Men's Basketball 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 Rules. You can order a hard copy for around $8, or download a pdf and print it out yourself for free. I chose the later option. (There are also free options for ePub and Mobi.)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-43...all-rules.aspx

The number one rule in college basketball is that all rules, regardless of wording, shall always be interpreted for the benefit of Duke. This rule is constant and shall never vary.

Regardless of legality I have always found that move to be the singular biggest d**che move in all of basketball at every level, especially including non-competitive gym level. They need to amend the rule. I can't think of an example of someone throwing it off of someone else where I thought, "yeah, that makes sense. That's some good basketball there."

Quote Originally Posted by MTZag03 View Post
    Regardless of legality I have always found that move to be the singular biggest d**che move in all of basketball at every level, especially including non-competitive gym level. They need to amend the rule. I can't think of an example of someone throwing it off of someone else where I thought, "yeah, that makes sense. That's some good basketball there."
    Disagree with you on that one, 03. Thought the kid made a terrific play. Freshman + split second = heady.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

What about the play where a Duke player was fouled on a drive while in the act of shooting, and the ball slipped out of his hands and he batted it into the hoop and it counted. How is that a made shot? Once the ball leaves his hands on the foul it can't be redirected into the basket can it?

The only illegal thing on that play was the Duke player fouling Karno on the loose ball. That should have been called, but it was a nice play seeing as it (of course) wasn't.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    What about the play where a Duke player was fouled on a drive while in the act of shooting, and the ball slipped out of his hands and he batted it into the hoop and it counted. How is that a made shot? Once the ball leaves his hands on the foul it can't be redirected into the basket can it?
    correct that was a poor call and basket should have been waived off and two shots awarded
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Disagree with you on that one, 03. Thought the kid made a terrific play. Freshman + split second = heady.
    agree heady play
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    The number one rule in college basketball is that all rules, regardless of wording, shall always be interpreted for the benefit of Duke. This rule is constant and shall never vary.
    This is correct. It's one big conspiracy.

Default You're Back?

Quote Originally Posted by JJsJumpshot View Post
    This is correct. It's one big conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Never left. Gonzaga boards are my new favorite case study.

"It's over, go home" is hilarious in context though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    That's awesome zaga. It's one of my favorite movies. Brings back my childhood days.

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR