Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Kevin Pangos on Gonzaga Basketball's MOUNT RUSHMORE?

Default Is Kevin Pangos on Gonzaga Basketball's MOUNT RUSHMORE?

I always hated thinking about the day when we would see Kevin play his final game in a zags uniform, but it also got me thinking. Did Kevin play himself onto the Gonzaga basketball Mount Rushmore? What do you guys think?

Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Hahaha yes, absolutely he is.

I'd go: Kevin, Ammo, Turiaf, Calvary

My Mount Rushmore:

Frank Burgess
    John Stockton
    Adam Morrison
    Kevin Pangos

Guys who just missed out:

Matt Santangelo
    Dan Dickau

Mount Rushmore of Personalities:

Ronny Turiaf
    Robert Sacre
    Richard Fox
    Bing Crosby
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

It is nearly impossible to try and pick just 4 zags to put up there.....ugh...So many incredible and impossible choices.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

You need a Stockton - pick your favorite, and a Vandersloot.

I think Pangos belongs - but Pangos should go nowhere without Gary pictured alongside, almost as "one entity."

I think Stockton, Burgess, Dickau, Morrison, Pangos-Bell, Vandersloot, and Ronny (b/c Ronny should be left off nothing positive about GU) - I know that is more than four, but, really, FDR should be added to the real Rushmore (Depression and WWII) - so, I feel comfortable adding additional numbers.

Kelly, as another All-American, has great qualifications, too. Maybe a big statue of Kelly right at the entrance.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

No. Not even the POINT guard Rushmore, which is John, Matt, DD and Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    No. Not even the guard Rushmore, which is John, Matt, DD and Blake.
    Dan Dickau made it pretty close for me, but I just don't see how you can't have pangos in the discussion when his stats and tournament success outweigh everyone

#1 in games played
    #1 in career wins
    #5 in career points
    #2 in career steals
    #5 in career assists
    #8 in career FGs made
    #11 in career Free Throws made
    #1 in career 3's made

I guess you can make a case on the eye test, which is something opinionated. And I cannot argue. No real argument from me, when you have all those great names you mentioned jazz.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Don't even know how to answer the question. As noted by others very hard to pick just four. Glad to see Vandersloot get mentioned, she was phenomenal!

Burgess, Stockton, Morrison, Bol Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Burgess, Stockton, Morrison, Bol Kong
    What? No Biggs McGee? lol

Sorry, I limit Mt. Rushmore to those that were here four years and graduated. That takes out Ammo, Dickau, Olynyk, and Micah Downs.

Burgess, Stockton, Pangos, and Bouldin. Sorry Blake...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

Sorry, I limit Mt. Rushmore to those that were here four years and graduated. That takes out Ammo, Dickau, Olynyk, and Micah Downs.

Huh? Pretty arbitrary, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

Agree with you TZF. However, Kelly WAS here 4 years & graduated, 1st team Academic AA.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Agree with you TZF. However, Kelly WAS here 4 years & graduated, 1st team Academic AA.
    You are correct, 50. Tough call, great young man, great Zag. I should have been specific, i.e. playing for four years. Ammo and Kelly made the right move for themselves, leaving with one year of eligibility.

If Karno comes back, he'd have the potential to bust through the door, too. All Academic team in WCC this year. An amazing feat for any foreign student-athlete.

I stand by Kong!

Vandersloot, Stockton, Pangos, and then I'm not sure who:

Ronny
    Olynyk
    Harris
    Morrison
    Casey
    Blake
    Santangelo
    Dickau

A bunch for the fourth spot. I think a face on a mountain should go to a guy like Ronny who could have left early but stayed for the team. A guy whose heart and personality are perfectly in sync with what it means to be a Zag. A player who helped us open up the gates to international recruits. So I'd probably put him up there as the last one. He meant a ton to this program as a player and a person.

Even though Pangos is one of my favorite Zags ever, he does not make the Rushmore of Zags imo. Honestly, he barely makes the top 5 point guards we've had. I would definitely have Stockton, Santangelo, Dickau and Stepp ahead of Kevin. That shouldn't take a thing away from his career though. He is definitely an all-timer.

Some may think Stockton doesn't deserve in because they believe he made his name in the NBA, and not at GU. But please remember, he was invited to try out for the 1984 Olympic team after his senior year, and along with Charles Barkley, was in the final cut. Bobby Knight took his freshman Bobby Alford instead - a move that has made it very hard for me to respect Knight ever since.

Bottom line: John Stockton was a tremendous college player in addition to being arguably the best pure point guard to ever play in the NBA. If he isn't on the Mt. Rushmore of GU Hoops then I guess we need to find a replacement for George Washington on the actual mountain.

Obviously this is so very hard to make a definitive case for any limited number of players.

And, at the risk of sounding like I am in some way dissin' Santangelo and Stepp, I wonder why some think those 2 are clearly above Kevin. Kevin took the team to over 30 wins on average, he was in the top category in points, and took the team to the E8 - seems to me that his career in total eclipses those others.

If Rushmore is made up of "ultimate Zags" - in my mind, the quintessential standard bearer for what it means to be a Zag is Ronny.

Jazz? Though reasonable fans can disagree, I knew which side you would fall on. You play your role around here like a maestro.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Point guard My Rushmore..........yes.
    I miss Mike Hart

The discussion starts and ends with the most accomplished former player in school history.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Burgess

M
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Obviously this is so very hard to make a definitive case for any limited number of players.

And, at the risk of sounding like I am in some way dissin' Santangelo and Stepp, I wonder why some think those 2 are clearly above Kevin. Kevin took the team to over 30 wins on average, he was in the top category in points, and took the team to the E8 - seems to me that his career in total eclipses those others.

If Rushmore is made up of "ultimate Zags" - in my mind, the quintessential standard bearer for what it means to be a Zag is Ronny.

Jazz? Though reasonable fans can disagree, I knew which side you would fall on. You play your role around here like a maestro.
    Try comparing his supporting cast w the others. KP didn't win all those games by himself. Compare the bigs especially. How many were elite vs bigs who played w the others? Sacre, KO, Harris, Karno, Dower, KW, the Bonus for starters.

Record Book

Burgess was one of the nicest, humble guys. I used to ride my bike around campus back then. Always peeked in the Russell theater to see if he was there and hopefully would remember me.....and he always did. SO I shagged balls..........even those that rolled out on boone because the gym was always so hot. the doors were left open. No fans in the place......just nothing. Such a nice man though. I'll never forget how nice he was to a small kid.

Burgess, Stockton, Pangos, Vandersloot

No offense intended to anyone else.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board