Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season Transfer Thread

Default 2016 Transfer Possibility???

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ol-next-season
    http://www.barstoolsports.com/dmv/ma...s-last-season/

A 6'6" wing that can score and has 3pt shooting range. He will be eligible to play next year since he will be a senior graduate transfer. It could be a nice fit to replace Byron at the wing next year. It appears that Maryland has the lead for his senior year services. It would be tough to lure him all the way to the west coast, but it seems like he would be a nice addition for the Zags next year.

Default 2015-16 Off-season Transfer Thread (incoming transfers only)

I am going to start this as we don't want to have a bunch of smaller threads. I or the mods will try to merge in threads when we see them.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

A word of caution. There will be no speculation (or suggestions) of current Zags transferring out of the GU program allowed here. This thread is to speculate on potential (or interesting) transfers from other schools.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    A word of caution. There will be no speculation (or suggestions) of current Zags transferring out of the GU program allowed here. This thread is to speculate on potential (or interesting) transfers from other schools.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I would like to transfer out of my desk job and into a beach setting where I didn't have to do anything this summer. That would be the best off-season transfer of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Why? Nunez has hinted at it...I have a hunch he might change his mind.
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post
    I would like to transfer out of my desk job and into a beach setting where I didn't have to do anything this summer. That would be the best off-season transfer of all time.

Amen to that.

Back to the task at hand. Damian Lee, that kind of transfer would be a huge salve on the three guard loss wound.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Then keep it in another thread. This is for incoming only.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagAddict View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ol-next-season
    http://www.barstoolsports.com/dmv/ma...s-last-season/

A 6'6" wing that can score and has 3pt shooting range. He will be eligible to play next year since he will be a senior graduate transfer. It could be a nice fit to replace Byron at the wing next year. It appears that Maryland has the lead for his senior year services. It would be tough to lure him all the way to the west coast, but it seems like he would be a nice addition for the Zags next year.
    Lee seems like he'd be a great get! Awesome numbers....and his coach is very familiar with our school. I have to imagine Lee has followed our program...maybe he noticed how successful BW has been!!! Makes sense to me
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Then keep it in another thread. This is for incoming only.
    People might get confused by the name of the thread.
    Go Zags!!!

I think it invites too much personal speculation into a kid's motivations and personal choices that are not appropriate for an amateur athlete. I think it is fine to talk about a kid's play or a kid thinking about coming here, but with regard to an opinion on a personal choice of someone who is "family" - that is probably beyond what is fair to the student.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

People might get confused by the name of the thread.
    Changed the name.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I think it invites too much personal speculation into a kid's motivations and personal choices that are not appropriate for an amateur athlete. I think it is fine to talk about a kid's play or a kid thinking about coming here, but with regard to an opinion on a personal choice of someone who is "family" - that is probably beyond what is fair to the student.
    There is already a Nunez thread, is there not?

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    There is already a Nunez thread, is there not?
    True.

Fine line. I see GZ's point. The Nunez "news" came out in response to a public tweet, which I think makes it a little different.

I dunno. I trust the mods to do the right thing on it (yourself included), and I can see instances where the speculation and opinion might not be appropriate regarding an amateur student.

ETA: I hope that we're not also considering transfers of coaches/trainers. I think there are many programs out there that would want Tommy as a head coach and Travis as strength/conditioning coach and have the job / checkbook to be enticing. I suspect the AD will take care of the checkbook component, we may not "need" them, but I'd rather not have to find that out.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

If everybody returns I don't get the need for a graduate transfer. We'll have Perkins, Melson, Dranginis, McClellan and Alberts easily handling the backcourt and Karno, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Edwards even more easily handling the frontcourt. That's a nine man rotation. Where do we fit somebody else who's expecting major playing time?

Clean out your Inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post
    Sorry, that slot is taken.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    If everybody returns I don't get the need for a graduate transfer. We'll have Perkins, Melson, Dranginis, McClellan and Alberts easily handling the backcourt and Karno, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Edwards even more easily handling the frontcourt. That's a nine man rotation. Where do we fit somebody else who's expecting major playing time?
    +1. I hope the Zags stand pat this year, allow walk-ons a schollie next year. I have confidence in the above names and think Griffin may earn some time at the 3 too.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

If a scoring combo guard or wing came knocking, I'm sure we'd listen! I'd take a BW every single year!
    Go Zags!!!

because Lee is better than every wing player that you listed?

If a scoring combo guard or wing came knocking, I'm sure we'd listen! I'd take a BW every single year!
    Why? You don't like our current 5 guards? Let's face it, as good as Wesley was throughout the year, it was Drang getting the crucial minutes in March. I don't want anybody taking away playing time from Perkins and Melson.

It sounds like the cards are stacked with Maryland.

because Lee is better than every wing player that you listed?
    1) Lee ain't coming here.

2) You're going to recruit over Dranginis again in his 5th year senior season?

3) You're going to recruit over Perkins or Melson for a 1 year player?

I don't care who it is. I don't want anybody. If it's a transfer that has to sit out this year then I'm all for it.

Why? You don't like our current 5 guards? Let's face it, as good as Wesley was throughout the year, it was Drang getting the crucial minutes in March. I don't want anybody taking away playing time from Perkins and Melson.
    Love 'em. I have a great feeling about Alberts. Perks is a stud of course. Silas showed flashes. Draginis was a beast in the tourney. McC provides great defense at the point and a nice up tempo speed. Likely a good group to build a team around. That said, I'd be fine bringing in a hired gun to help bridge the leadership gap and provide value time on the court.

At the pre-season dinner event in Seattle, Tommy definitely made a point about not recruiting over our current players...will be interesting to monitor.
    Go Zags!!!

I would like to see what Dranginis can do playing 25-30 minutes a game. I think he's earned that right. Wesley was a nice player for the Zags this year. He blended nicely, fit in with the team concept. His scoring did drop from almost 18 ppg his Jr. year at USC to about 10 for the Zags. Projecting what a guy did at a mid or low major school to what he could bring to the Zags is sketchy at best. I didn't see Lee play this year, I'd guess hardly anyone else did either. I do feel safe saying there's no way he would average anywhere close to 20 for the Zags.

I don't want to see the Zags regularly dipping into the 5th year Sr. transfer pool. Leave that to Oregon and Iowa St. It's a gamble, never know how it will affect team chemistry. Like I said Wesley was fine, but you never know about the motivation of a kid doing it. Does he just want to be part of a winning team and go the Big Dance, or is he looking at his last chance to showcase himself for the NBA, wants a bigger stage and maybe a ball hog/selfish player? I would say these kind of players are not looking to be coming off the bench and just part of the rotation, they definitely view themselves as starters.

I'd be curious to see how much of an impact these kinds of players have had. I'd guess most of the time they are contributors but don't really put their new team over the top.