Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season Transfer Thread

Did I read on this thread correctly that he is a JR? That means 2 years of scholarship for 1 of PT. I can't think of a time GU has done this in the past, but my memory sucks.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    At this point I would be very pleased if Josh Perkins was Gonzaga's point guard in a couple of years. I haven't heard directly (or definitively) but Josh Perkins has a chance to be good enough to be "one and done".

What I DO know (and HAVE been told) is that Perkins is a very "special" player.
    So reading between the lines a bit here. If by all accounts Josh is THAT good, good enough to be one and done, than we would need a point guard to step in right around the time NWG would be eligible. If Josh ends up sticking around for a 3rd year at GU, awesome, if not have to have a replacement ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Did I read on this thread correctly that he is a JR? That means 2 years of scholarship for 1 of PT. I can't think of a time GU has done this in the past, but my memory sucks.
    currently a soph...would be identical situation as wiltjer...would play his senior school year as a transfer redshirt junior in terms of basketball eligibility...if he stayed for his redshirt senior year, he would be in a grad program.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    If we could get Williams-Goss why wouldn't we? It makes no sense at all to me why we would not take him. Yes, he is that good. And it never ever hurts to have a player like him in the GU stable of guards. This year is a great example to me, that you can never have too many quality players. Giving our top players chances to rest during the season only helps them in March and April. WE are losing two really good guards and I believe we need to get at least one, and a guard like Williams-would just be fantastic.
    I agree 100% Reborn. Why not take him. You can never have enough top talent. Injuries happen too. Keep raising the bar if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    You think he's willing to come in and back up Josh? Honest question.
    Gonzaga is actually at its best with two PGs on the court. It's been done since Santangelo/Hall, Dickau/Stepp, etc. If Few could bring in NWG, the Zags would have a backcourt to die for. Toss in Mussini, as well.

More importantly, I really want to see Nolan Narian be a Zag ASAP. With Zach Collins, that'd be a great duo of bigs to bring in for 2016.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    currently a soph...would be identical situation as wiltjer...would play his senior school year as a transfer redshirt junior in terms of basketball eligibility...if he stayed for his redshirt senior year, he would be in a grad program.
    OK, that makes more sense.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Sounds good to me. And if we snag Haley for 2016, redshirt year, he and Wade would make for an awesome backcourt after Perkins, meslon and NWG.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Gonzaga is actually at its best with two PGs on the court. It's been done since Santangelo/Hall, Dickau/Stepp, etc. If Few could bring in NWG, the Zags would have a backcourt to die for. Toss in Mussini, as well.

More importantly, I really want to see Nolan Narian be a Zag ASAP. With Zach Collins, that'd be a great duo of bigs to bring in for 2016.

Sounds good to me. And if we snag Haley for 2016, redshirt year, he and Wade would make for an awesome backcourt after Perkins, meslon and NWG.
    Yup. Now we're on the same wavelength.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Couldn't Haley play at the 1, 2 or 3 spot? Even if he didn't redshirt it would create some interesting lineups that the Zags could put on the court.

Calipari called Perkins.

We all know that if Calipari calls a player, that player is very likely NBA bound and probably good enough to sign a multi year rookie contract.

The next step in program evolution would be dealing with the same problem that NCAA champion Duke will face. They must replace the elite freshman core that took home the trophy.

If the program does take the next step, we fans will eventually be conditioned to accepting such things.

Two thoughts:

1) Enjoy the brief time you get to watch any given player.
    2) The higher player turnover would put Mark Few into unchartered territory with respect to recruiting work load. It may tax him to the point where GU has become the job he has turned down elsewhere. The quaint family atmosphere might not be quite the same.
    I miss Mike Hart

Tweet from Goodman earlier today:

@GoodmanESPN: Washington PG Nigel Williams-Goss told ESPN he is considering Providence. Said he will visit Texas, also looking at UNLV, Mich St, G'Town.

Doesn't rule out Gonzaga, but ...

Long time reader 1st time poster thought I would get in on this thread. Looking at the list of transfers who would have to seat out a year. I think Anton gill from Louisville would a good pickup for the zags a former top 40 player not sure if would be on him tho .What's the boards thoughts on Shaqquan Aaron Or where he ends up ?

Quote Originally Posted by MR.HUSTLE View Post
    Long time reader 1st time poster thought I would get in on this thread. Looking at the list of transfers who would have to seat out a year. I think Anton gill from Louisville would a good pickup for the zags a former top 40 player not sure if would be on him tho .What's the boards thoughts on Shaqquan Aaron Or where he ends up ?
    gill's not a shooter so doesn't fit the zags system at the 2...and he's from carolina so probably heading that direction.

guessing aaron will go home and play for romar (if he's still around).

Turns out folks that Gonzaga is in the Damion Lee hunt:

https://twitter.com/DL_XIV/status/587326120145588226

I have narrowed my list down to these schools in alphabetical order:

Arizona
    Gonzaga
    Louisville
    Marquette
    Maryland

Twitter:
    Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 13m13 minutes ago

Damion Lee, arguably most coveted transfer in country, told ESPN has narrowed list to Arizona, Gonzaga, Louisville, Marquette, Maryland.

From Scout:
    Lee narrows list to five

Damion Lee, who averaged 21.4 points a game last year for Drexel, cut his list of schools to five.

Damion Lee, one of the top available graduate transfers, informed Scout that he has cut his list down to five schools. The finalists include Arizona, Gonzaga, Louisville, Marquette and Maryland.

“With all of them it's mainly the fit,” Lee explained. “It's a goal I set for myself and what I want to accomplish for myself in the next year. All the schools meet the criteria. Those are the five main ones.”

Lee told Scout what he likes about each of the five:
    Gonzaga: “They possibly have the best frontcourt in the nation with [Domantas] Sabonis and [Przemek] Karnowski and they lost all three of their guards this past year. Once again, they made it to the tournament and have a great coaching staff with coach [Mark] Few.”

Zag material?

"Lee is looking for big-time minutes in a big-time program.“I want to go to a school where I can play 30-35 minutes a game for a team I can come in and lead and, hopefully, make a deep run,” Lee said. “A place where I come back afterward and be a second home for me. Lastly, a place where I can give myself the best chance to get drafted and market myself, and if getting drafted doesn’t work playing overseas.”

Twitter:
    Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 3m3 minutes ago

Elite transfer Damion Lee has set a visit to Gonzaga per @jeffborzello. Will also visit Louisville and Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Zag material?

"Lee is looking for big-time minutes in a big-time program.“I want to go to a school where I can play 30-35 minutes a game for a team I can come in and lead and, hopefully, make a deep run,” Lee said. “A place where I come back afterward and be a second home for me. Lastly, a place where I can give myself the best chance to get drafted and market myself, and if getting drafted doesn’t work playing overseas.”
    Sure. I don't know anything about this guy but I see nothing in that quote that is out of line. In fact I find it quite reasonable and honest.

I would be ecstatic to get this kid. With that said somebody on this team will take a hit and wont be happy. The one player who comes to mind is Melson...I really wished he could have RS. Perkins will be the guy. Can Lee play 1-3? How would we balance EM,KD,BA etc. I dont mind having this problem but something will have to give.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Zag material?

You mean a driven player who wants to lead by being on the court? A player who is driven? I'd take him. If he doesn't fit with our players Few wouldn't risk the move.

The free throw shooting fans on this board will be happy to know that Lee shot 89% from the line last season. Like Wesley, he's also a terrific rebounder for a wing....averaged 6.1 RPG per game.

It's going to be hard to get him away from Maryland. He's a Baltimore area kid, and the Terps are going to be a top 3 team next season. But as long as GU can get him on campus, they have a legit shot. I wouldn't be surprised if Wesley is his host.

Any time we have a chance to get an elite talent, I'm at least interested. Nothing in what he said sounds problematic to me. In fact, sounds much like Wesley.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I would say 90% chance hes at Maryland, maybe higher.

Dude is from that area, great friends with Melo Tremble, could fill an empty spot left by Dez Wells and they are a championship contender. Would be shocked to see him go anywahere else.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I would say 90% chance hes at Maryland, maybe higher.

Dude is from that area, great friends with Melo Tremble, could fill an empty spot left by Dez Wells and they are a championship contender. Would be shocked to see him go anywahere else.
    This.