Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: We may even be better next year!

For Dranginis, the starting spot at the 2 or 3 is his to lose IMO. Perkins/Melson at the PG-SG, McClellan/Dranginis at the SG or Wing, Wiltjer/Sabonis at the Wing/PF and Karnowski/Edwards at the 5? WOW!

We know our front court will be better, but Pangos and Bell are irreplaceable. What frontcourt in the nation would be better than Karnowski/Sabonis/Wiltjer? Could Perkins and Melson be better than Pangos/Bell to feed them the ball? I think McClellan might start at PG or SG next year McClellan/Dranginis?

Imagine the guards available to Few with this front court we got coming next year, knock on wood.

The kids who will join us this off-season will be even better than we expected. Expect some transfers out o the program and transfers in again, as always, to be expected.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    For Dranginis, the starting spot at the 2 or 3 is his to lose IMO. Perkins/Melson at the PG-SG, McClellan/Dranginis at the SG or Wing, Wiltjer/Sabonis at the Wing/PF and Karnowski/Edwards at the 5? WOW!

We know our front court will be better, but Pangos and Bell are irreplaceable. What frontcourt in the nation would be better than Karnowski/Sabonis/Wiltjer? Could Perkins and Melson be better than Pangos/Bell to feed them the ball? I think McClellan might start at PG or SG next year McClellan/Dranginis?

Imagine the guards available to Few with this front court we got coming next year, knock on wood.

The kids who will join us this off-season will be even better than we expected. Expect some transfers out o the program and transfers in again, as always, to be expected.
    McClellan isn't sniffing the starting spot at PG... Now the SG that is another thing entirely that he could take from Melson. Perkins was already getting 20mins a game before he got hurt so already right there that shows the trust Few already has in Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    what separates wesley is/was his ability to make moves while attacking the rim, spins, hesitations, changing directions...weaving through traffic and going all the way or pulling up for a floater. dranginis (and bell too) are straight line drivers who need a clear path to the basket. wesley was also like pargo/bouldin in that he could post up anyone close to his size...zags probably could have utilized this trait of his even more when they had the opportunity, especially against the likes of duke when struggling to score.
    like the play against Duke where Draino drove from the right wing baseline, under the basket, swung around to the left wing then across the free throw line and back to the hoop for the layup......disagree he is simply a straight line attacker

I see draino being able to attack the gaps AND shoot the three ball, while being as good a rebounder as Wesley brought to the table. His overall defense is better.

I cant wait to see him on the court for a consistent 25 minutes a game
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    like the play against Duke where Draino drove from the right wing baseline, under the basket, swung around to the left wing then across the free throw line and back to the hoop for the layup......disagree he is simply a straight line attacker.
    that to me was still a "straight-line" drive (long strides)...it was circular but no shorter quicker changes in direction that led to a direct attack on the hoop...semantics . what made wesley special to me was his ability to attack with his back to the basket...off the dribble on drives or post ups...most guards don't have that ability. don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of dranginis and think he has a higher ceiling than wesley cuz of shooting ability, but wesley was someone you could iso with the shot clock winding down and i don't think kd is that kind of player. in fact, imo, few should have put the ball in wesley's hands for every end of half play...we all know how good the zags are at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    like the play against Duke where Draino drove from the right wing baseline, under the basket, swung around to the left wing then across the free throw line and back to the hoop for the layup......disagree he is simply a straight line attacker

I see draino being able to attack the gaps AND shoot the three ball, while being as good a rebounder as Wesley brought to the table. His overall defense is better.

I cant wait to see him on the court for a consistent 25 minutes a game
    Agree with that. KD has more to his game than he is credited for. I can see by the posts in the last few days that KD will likely be a polarizing topic up to and possibly through next season as the forum experts weigh in on why he should or should not be getting X minutes. Replay the Mike Hart debate. I thought KD's contributions to the team this year down the stretch were equal to Wesleys but in a different way. JMO
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Agree with that. KD has more to his game than he is credited for. I can see by the posts in the last few days that KD will likely be a polarizing topic up to and possibly through next season as the forum experts weigh in on why he should or should not be getting X minutes. Replay the Mike Hart debate. I thought KD's contributions to the team this year down the stretch were equal to Wesleys but in a different way. JMO
    A lot of games down the stretch we were flat out better with KD on the floor. I don't think there is now or will be later a question...KD is going to get and deserve heavy minutes. He might not average 20 pts a game, but he will impact every game.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    A lot of games down the stretch we were flat out better with KD on the floor. I don't think there is now or will be later a question...KD is going to get and deserve heavy minutes. He might not average 20 pts a game, but he will impact every game.
    I liked us better with KD than with Wesley too. KD is gonna be a stat sheet stuffer. 12 pts, 8 boards, several assists, a steal here and there...75% from the line, 40% from 3...oh yeah, and a solid defender as well. He's a versatile, crafty, athletic, shooting guard.

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    I liked us better with KD than with Wesley too. KD is gonna be a stat sheet stuffer. 12 pts, 8 boards, several assists, a steal here and there...75% from the line, 40% from 3...oh yeah, and a solid defender as well. He's a versatile, crafty, athletic, shooting guard.
    Those are Collinsworth numbers. I hope that you are right.

Wes showed a lot early, then drifted down with a few bright moments. KD came on strong. Two different players, neither a star. I was equally excited and anxious when they both had the ball on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Wes showed a lot early, then drifted down with a few bright moments. KD came on strong. Two different players, neither a star. I was equally excited and anxious when they both had the ball on offense.
    Just curious: what are your reservations about KD's game?

Maybe I look at him through Zags-colored glasses, but I can't help seeing potential all-around star

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Just curious: what are your reservations about KD's game?

Maybe I look at him through Zags-colored glasses, but I can't help seeing potential all-around star
    Sure. Ball handling is shaky and his distance shooting isn't super. His hesitancy to shoot is also of concern. Just not athletic enough to be a Collinsworth, imo. But a solid GU type role player. Mike Hart like with a decent offensive game.

Sure. Ball handling is shaky and his distance shooting isn't super. His hesitancy to shoot is also of concern. Just not athletic enough to be a Collinsworth, imo. But a solid GU type role player. Mike Hart like with a decent offensive game.
    I could sure as heck live with that outcome! I think he's been hesitant to shoot threes because we've had better options from behind the arc. Next year, we won't.

The thing that KD has that many basketball players don't is that he just has a nose for the ball. This is an underrated talent that cannot be explained. The guy always seems to find himself around the action and that's a quality that I love. I think jazz said it best, a Mike Hart type with a better offensive game. As far as stat lines for next season, I'm seeing 12 PPG 6 REB 4 AST 2 STL 1 BLK.

On another note, I cannot contain my excitement for seeing Perkins slicing through the lane and dropping dimes to our front court next season. I don't think we have ever had a PG in the mold of Perkins, if Few cuts him loose, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple 10 AST games sprinkled in next year from him. Any stats guys care to look up the last time we had a player dish out double digit assists in a game?

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    The thing that KD has that many basketball players don't is that he just has a nose for the ball. This is an underrated talent that cannot be explained. The guy always seems to find himself around the action and that's a quality that I love. I think jazz said it best, a Mike Hart type with a better offensive game. As far as stat lines for next season, I'm seeing 12 PPG 6 REB 4 AST 2 STL 1 BLK.

On another note, I cannot contain my excitement for seeing Perkins slicing through the lane and dropping dimes to our front court next season. I don't think we have ever had a PG in the mold of Perkins, if Few cuts him loose, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple 10 AST games sprinkled in next year from him. Any stats guys care to look up the last time we had a player dish out double digit assists in a game?
    This is no doubt in my mind that had Perkins not been injured this year, the Zags would have made it to the FF (not necessarily against Duke as the seeding would have been better). I think that out of all the years I've watched the Zags going back to the start of the run, Perkins has the potential to be the best point guard of the modern Zag era. We know he can drive to the hoop and also shoot the three, but its the passing and play creation that is what is so exciting. It was a huge blow to lose him so early in the season. Kevin did a great job running the point, but having him move to the off-guard as a spot-up three shooter would have added an extra dimension to the Zags overall game. I really cannot wait to see Perkins dumping off no-looks to the bigs next year!
    Last edited by strikenowhere; 03-31-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: clarification

With the addition of Edwards and KW's return we will have an improved inside game and if Sabonis takes a jump we could have the best in the nation.
    Jenks will anchor the guards and we have a very good batch to draw from for the 2 and 3. if we get a surprise in these we will be better than this year.
    FF Book it!
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    The thing that KD has that many basketball players don't is that he just has a nose for the ball. As far as stat lines for next season, I'm seeing 12 PPG 6 REB 4 AST 2 STL 1 BLK.
    i hope you're right, but that's extremely optimistic imo...that would mean he scores more than pangos did this year, more assists than pangos in any of his first three years, and basically same/more rebounds than karnowski this year. you sure???

kd averaged 17.2 min/game this year...if we double his averages from this year it would play out as 8.2ppg / 5.2rpg / 3.4apg -- which seems more realistic to me, though it would be really really helpful to next year's team if his scoring trends towards your prediction...at least break double digits.

i hope you're right, but that's extremely optimistic imo...that would mean he scores more than pangos did this year, more assists than pangos in any of his first three years, and basically same/more rebounds than karnowski this year. you sure???

kd averaged 17.2 min/game this year...if we double his averages from this year it would play out as 8.2ppg / 5.2rpg / 3.4apg -- which seems more realistic to me, though it would be really really helpful to next year's team if his scoring trends towards your prediction or at least break double digits.
    KD won't get 30+ mpg next season. I'm willing to bet another 12 pack on that. Time for me to collect from Zag67.

Default Totally agree with thi about Wesley.

that to me was still a "straight-line" drive (long strides)...it was circular but no shorter quicker changes in direction that led to a direct attack on the hoop...semantics . what made wesley special to me was his ability to attack with his back to the basket...off the dribble on drives or post ups...most guards don't have that ability. don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of dranginis and think he has a higher ceiling than wesley cuz of shooting ability, but wesley was someone you could iso with the shot clock winding down and i don't think kd is that kind of player. in fact, imo, few should have put the ball in wesley's hands for every end of half play...we all know how good the zags are at that.
    No question. Best Bball assessment of Wesley and suggestions for his use. Would much rather have had him shooting at the end of periods than Pangos this year. Wesley would also have a significantly greater chance of getting to the line.
    montanazag88
    P....A....TIENCE!

Agree on Josh (henceforth my name for him whether he likes it or not), with him all year we are a better team. But the notion that as a result KP wd have had a better year if he played SG at times does not wash for me. Sliding him over never had its desired effect, when David took the point, or Josh, or Mac, or even GB. KP was just not that kind of player who cd get his own shot. Indeed he had a better chance of doing so with the ball. We saw glimpses in his soph year but nothing since. So scratch that advantage w a year of Josh but all the rest, such as getting into the lane and dishing, something KP did not do much of, for sure.

KP was just not that kind of player who cd get his own shot. Indeed he had a better chance of doing so with the ball. We saw glimpses in his soph year but nothing since
    Did you forget that Pangos played while he was injured for almost his entire Jr year.
    Birddog

Did you forget that Pangos played while he was injured for almost his entire Jr year.
    No I have not. What does that have to do with the price of asparagus? Perhaps the injury hampered him, is that your point? Maybe, but KP is not a shake and bake player and my point was having Josh all year would not have materially aided KP as an off guard, though it would have been a major plus for the team.

No I have not. What does that have to do with the price of asparagus? Perhaps the injury hampered him, is that your point? Maybe, but KP is not a shake and bake player and my point was having Josh all year would not have materially aided KP as an off guard, though it would have been a major plus for the team.
    partly disagree -- in that it would have allowed the zags to practice running him around screens all over the place like a haws or dee...

Perhaps the injury hampered him, is that your point?
    Precisely. I get where you are going, but I think you are short selling "what might have been", based at least in part on what you saw from him as a Jr. Alas, we'll never know. it's all speculation but i have to believe the coaching staff saw something in that scenario.
    Birddog

don't think the discussion surrounding kd will be anything like hart...hart was a non-factor on offense. every post on kd i've seen has the expectation of him being a starter, to start the season at least...the debate is on how much of a leap in his game can we realistically expect? i'm worried about next year's perimeter shooting because both kd and melson shot 34% from deep taking basically only wide open stress free 3's (well, melson pulled the trigger on some questionable attempts, also small sample size, but point remains).