Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 126

Thread: We may even be better next year!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,470

    Default We may even be better next year!

    Sabonis, Karnowski, Wiltjer, Edwards, McLellen, Perkins, Melson, Drags.... One of if not the best front court in the nation.

    Who knows what kind of transfers Few is looking to bring in to play the 3.

    We will be back!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Sabonis, Karnowski, Wiltjer, Edwards, McLellen, Perkins, Melson, Drags.... One of if not the best front court in the nation.

    Who knows what kind of transfers Few is looking to bring in to play the 3.

    We will be back!
    Fingers crossed that Wiltjer and Karnowski come back. If this happens we got a chance to be back. If not, i think a solid but not great team.

    Either Melson or Mcclelan need to step up. I am certain Perkins will get the job done. Gotta keep the chemistry up like last year.

    Need a transfer to come in and play immediately. Wesley will be tough to replace.

    Excited to see what Edwards has become. If he is a beast, our frontcourt is dynamite.

    Add Mussini, a transfer and another wing. Bring back Wiltjer and Karno and ill put another $400 on the Zags again next year and enjoy the ride.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,300

    Default That was a grreat dinner, now what's for dinner

    I feel like a fatso after eating a major thanksgiving feast and asking when we feast again. That said, lets analyze next years squad.
    I don't see any of our big 3 departing. I think we only lose Wesley, Bell, Pangos and maybe Nunez.

    I think we have Karno, Sabonis and Wiltjer returning with additional returnees Perkins, Melson, McClellan, Edwards, Alberts, Dranginis, and maybe Nunez. That's the core for a damn good team if the guards can develop over the season. I'm with Jazz, I don't think there will be that much drop off by the time season ends next year. The Zag front court will be one of the best in the country.

    Dranginis will be a minor star, he really improved his game down the stretch, Sabonis, Karno, Wiltjer will be phenomenol. Perkins, McClellan and Melson showed lots of promise. I'm very upbeat for the future. Toss in a transfer and we could be "elite" again or hopefully better.
    Go Zags.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    They aren't first round locks to be drafted, I can't see why either of them would leave early.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    Looks like a thread merge is in order.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Wiltjer is not coming back guys. It hasn't been explicitly stated, but it has been stated as implicitly as can be without being explicit. That being said, Jenks and Melson will be a better back court than the one that just departed and that's saying a lot. If Shem and Don'tmiss return along with Edwards, that's one of the best front courts in America. We have some open schollies, let's see what rabbits Few and Tommy pull out of their respective hats.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,796

    Default

    Also do forget Alberts who has been redshirting. I think he will give us another 6'4" guard that can play the 3.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I feel like a fatso after eating a major thanksgiving feast and asking when we feast again. That said, lets analyze next years squad.
    I don't see any of our big 3 departing. I think we only lose Wesley, Bell, Pangos and maybe Nunez.

    I think we have Karno, Sabonis and Wiltjer returning with additional returnees Perkins, Melson, McClellan, Edwards, Alberts, Dranginis, and maybe Nunez. That's the core for a damn good team if the guards can develop over the season. I'm with Jazz, I don't think there will be that much drop off by the time season ends next year. The Zag front court will be one of the best in the country.

    Dranginis will be a minor star, he really improved his game down the stretch, Sabonis, Karno, Wiltjer will be phenomenol. Perkins, McClellan and Melson showed lots of promise. I'm very upbeat for the future. Toss in a transfer and we could be "elite" again or hopefully better.
    Go Zags.
    front court will be fine even without wiltjer...more worried about a lack of perimeter shooting, especially if wiltjer is gone. perkins & emac aren't shooters and melson needs to improve a lot...alberts might be the best shooter of the bunch.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    It is not easy to replace character........ leadership necessary to create the chemistry to build a team.....Gary and Kevin had that from day one...the next backcourt may have those skills, but it is not a given.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane / Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    1,988

    Default

    Dranginis is already a star in my book. He's the disruptive force like Hart was but has some offense too. Love his game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I feel like a fatso after eating a major thanksgiving feast and asking when we feast again. That said, lets analyze next years squad.
    I don't see any of our big 3 departing. I think we only lose Wesley, Bell, Pangos and maybe Nunez.

    I think we have Karno, Sabonis and Wiltjer returning with additional returnees Perkins, Melson, McClellan, Edwards, Alberts, Dranginis, and maybe Nunez. That's the core for a damn good team if the guards can develop over the season. I'm with Jazz, I don't think there will be that much drop off by the time season ends next year. The Zag front court will be one of the best in the country.

    Dranginis will be a minor star, he really improved his game down the stretch, Sabonis, Karno, Wiltjer will be phenomenol. Perkins, McClellan and Melson showed lots of promise. I'm very upbeat for the future. Toss in a transfer and we could be "elite" again or hopefully better.
    Go Zags.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    It is not easy to replace character........ leadership necessary to create the chemistry to build a team.....Gary and Kevin had that from day one...the next backcourt may have those skills, but it is not a given.
    I agree, but from a purely athletic and talent perspective, the young ones are better than Gary and Kevin. Should be exciting to watch the growth.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    It is not easy to replace character........ leadership necessary to create the chemistry to build a team.....Gary and Kevin had that from day one...the next backcourt may have those skills, but it is not a given.
    hopefully the year spent with those two rubbed off enough to carry over...i think perkins has the makeup to continue the tradition.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Wiltjer is not coming back guys. It hasn't been explicitly stated, but it has been stated as implicitly as can be without being explicit. That being said, Jenks and Melson will be a better back court than the one that just departed and that's saying a lot. If Shem and Don'tmiss return along with Edwards, that's one of the best front courts in America. We have some open schollies, let's see what rabbits Few and Tommy pull out of their respective hats.
    Obviously things change, but this can't be a bad sign:


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    It is not easy to replace character........ leadership necessary to create the chemistry to build a team.....Gary and Kevin had that from day one...the next backcourt may have those skills, but it is not a given.
    This could be the toughest part. Lots of good bigs next year but we'll need a good point guard to get the ball to them.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Wiltjer is not coming back guys. It hasn't been explicitly stated, but it has been stated as implicitly as can be without being explicit. That being said, Jenks and Melson will be a better back court than the one that just departed and that's saying a lot. If Shem and Don'tmiss return along with Edwards, that's one of the best front courts in America. We have some open schollies, let's see what rabbits Few and Tommy pull out of their respective hats.
    I'm pretty sure it was stated that he would check his options. Personally i don't see him on an NBA roster unless it's on a crappy team and then he'll languish on the bench or play in the D league. He could play in Europe, but the money will not be that good. It'll beat an entry level job at Enterprise Rent a Car though.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Honest question: What would you expect him to say immediately after the loss? P.S. The "right now" was a dead give away.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    Jim Meehan @SRJimm
    Wiltjer: "I got another year of eligibility so that’s my plan right now (to return)."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was stated that he would check his options. Personally i don't see him\ on an NBA roster unless it's on a crappy team and then he'll languish on the bench or play in the D league. He could play in Europe, but the money will not be that good. It'll beat an entry level job at Enterprise Rent a Car though.
    Nope, it's been said, more than once that he's not returning. Apparently Europe is an option for him. Plus, one of the mods who runs this board, essentially alluded to it, without directly coming out and saying it and he, to the best of my knowledge is almost never wrong.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    This could be the toughest part. Lots of good bigs next year but we'll need a good point guard to get the ball to them.
    Perkins was ridiculous before he got hurt. Granted it was a small sample size, but his vision, court awareness and leadership skills are flat out amazing. He's the best passer not named John Stockton that has ever donned a GU jersey.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Honest question: What would you expect him to say immediately after the loss? P.S. The "right now" was a dead give away.
    I wouldn't say a dead giveaway, but it does leave it up in the air. You may very well be correct (50/50 shot), but at this point I don't think its certain. If it was, I'd expect him to say so.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Hey, I hope I'm dead wrong. But too many "big wigs" here have intimated as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    I wouldn't say a dead giveaway, but it does leave it up in the air. You may very well be correct (50/50 shot), but at this point I don't think its certain.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Nope, it's been said, more than once that he's not returning. Apparently Europe is an option for him. Plus, one of the mods who runs this board, essentially alluded to it, without directly coming out and saying it and he, to the best of my knowledge is almost never wrong.
    He has a great season next year he could turn into a first round pick.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,661

    Default

    Re: Next Year, this blurb from ESPN Insider

    To return to the NCAA tournament, a team needs contributions from both returning players and incoming recruits. Here's a look at Gonzaga and its chances of dancing again in 2016.

    Quick references:

    2014-15 roster

    2015 recruiting

    Possible 2015-16 starting five

    G Josh Perkins

    G Silas Melson

    F Kyle Wiltjer

    F Domantas Sabonis

    C Przemek Karnowski

    Who is lost: Coach Mark Few will finally part ways with the heart and soul of Gonzaga's program over the past few years, Kevin Pangos. Pangos will not only take his points and assists with him, but his leadership will be missed, as well. In addition, though the Zags will be able to replace multiyear starter Gary Bell Jr.'s scoring, his on-ball defense will be missed. Finally, Byron Wesley, the rugged wing-type with scoring pop, will have to be replaced, as well, and it will not be easy considering there is no one in the program with his combination of strength and skill at the wing position.

    Who is added: The Zags signed one recruit thus far, and he's a good one in the ultra-scoring point guard Jesse Wade. However, he will not be able to suit up until the 2017-18 season because of a Mormon mission. One thing to keep in mind is the Zags utilize the international recruiting landscape (Poland, Canada, Germany, etc.) as well as any school in the country.

    What it means for next season: If Wiltjer decides to come back for his senior campaign, the Zags will have one of the most talented frontcourts in the country. Wiltjer has inside-out skills that have the NBA monitoring his each and every move. Sabonis, another possible early NBA entry, has size, skill and a relentless motor that have the professional ranks excited. The last frontcourt talent, Karnowski, a skilled 5-man with a mammoth frame, will give the Zags yet another gifted post threat for opposing teams to deal with. The key for the Zags heading into next season will be the development of their young backcourt of Perkins and Melson. While the Zags may not be as potent from 3-point range after the departure of Pangos, Perkins and Melson will bring more overall athleticism to the table.

    Trending: Level. Although the Zags must replace a terrific senior trio (Pangos, Bell, Wesley), they have recruited very well. The frontcourt strength has been well-documented, but it is the backcourt that has the Zags coaches and fans optimistic and intrigued. Perkins is one of the more dynamic passers in the country and Melson has that potentially lethal combination of athleticism and skill at the 2-guard spot.


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Hey, I hope I'm dead wrong. But too many "big wigs" here have intimated as much.
    I certainly haven't seen such intimations! I know that I only drop by 3-4 times a day, so could have missed it. You could be right, but I hope not.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    139

    Default

    We will be well represented on the floor next year other wise we would of had more incoming players.The coaches do not over recruit so it seems is if most every ones coming back.Next year will be special.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,326

    Default

    I would be surprised if a graduate transfer and possibly another transfer (or high schooler/Euro) aren't brought in. The roster is by no means set. There are plenty of schoolies to spare.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •