Thread: Post-Duke Press Conference & Media Thread

Post Post-Duke Press Conference & Media Thread

Looking forward to coach and the guys wrapping it up.

Default Post Game Presser

GU post game presser about to happen on CBS Sports Network - 221 on Direct

221 on Direct

AP WIRE RECAP:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400787701

Duke's last Final Four and national title was in 2010, when the Blue Devils were also the No. 1 seed in the South Regional and had to go through Houston.

"This is a magical moment for us, but we played a magical team in Gonzaga," Krzyzewski told the crowd.

No. 2 seed Gonzaga (35-3) had taken a 38-34 lead less than 4 minutes into the second half, putting the Blue Devils in their largest deficit of this tournament.

The young Blue Devils responded with nine straight points and never trailed again. They had stretched it to 60-51 when Winslow made a 3-pointer from the left wing with 2:28 left.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

photo album by Spokesman-Review's Colin Mulvany

Arriving at the NRG Stadium, Gonzaga head coach Mark Few receives a greeting from Tommy, a bomb-sniffing dog, Sunday, March 29, 2015, in Houston, Texas.

Sports Illustrated Game Story

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...ght-final-four

Winslow and Matt Jones had 16 points for Duke, which shot 42.1% from three-point range and only turned it over three times. Wiltjer had 16 for the Bulldogs but a team that shot nearly 41% from three-point range coming into the game went only 2 for 10 from beyond the arc, had 13 turnovers and didn't make a field goal in the final six and a half minutes.

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Garry Parrish, CBS

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-to-final-four

HOUSTON -- Make that a dozen Final Fours for Mike Krzyzewski.

Duke used a 16-point, five-rebound effort from freshman wing Justise Winslow on Sunday afternoon to beat Gonzaga 66-52 here at NRG Stadium and become the third No. 1 seed in this NCAA Tournament to advance to the Final Four. Duke will play No. 7 seed Michigan State in the first national semifinal on Saturday. No. 1 seed Kentucky and No. 1 seed Wisconsin will meet in the second national semifinal.

"On to Indy," Krzyzewski said afterward.

The Blue Devils pulled away after Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer missed a layup that would've tied the score with 4:48 remaining. From there, Duke went on a 13-1 run to secure Krzyzewski's 12th Final Four. The Hall of Famer is now tied on the all-time list with John Wooden.

Gonzaga finishes its season with a 35-3 record.

Duke and Michigan State played earlier this season in Indianapolis.

The Blue Devils won that game 81-71 thanks to a 19-point effort from Quinn Cook.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Here you go:
    Recruit and return: Gonzaga Bulldogs
    March, 29, 2015
    Mar 29
    7:08
    PM ET
    By Joel Francisco | ESPN Insider

To return to the NCAA tournament, a team needs contributions from both returning players and incoming recruits. Here's a look at Gonzaga and its chances of dancing again in 2016.

Quick references:

2014-15 roster

2015 recruiting

Possible 2015-16 starting five

G Josh Perkins

G Silas Melson

F Kyle Wiltjer

F Domantas Sabonis

C Przemek Karnowski

Who is lost: Coach Mark Few will finally part ways with the heart and soul of Gonzaga's program over the past few years, Kevin Pangos. Pangos will not only take his points and assists with him, but his leadership will be missed, as well. In addition, though the Zags will be able to replace multiyear starter Gary Bell Jr.'s scoring, his on-ball defense will be missed. Finally, Byron Wesley, the rugged wing-type with scoring pop, will have to be replaced, as well, and it will not be easy considering there is no one in the program with his combination of strength and skill at the wing position.

Who is added: The Zags signed one recruit thus far, and he's a good one in the ultra-scoring point guard Jesse Wade. However, he will not be able to suit up until the 2017-18 season because of a Mormon mission. One thing to keep in mind is the Zags utilize the international recruiting landscape (Poland, Canada, Germany, etc.) as well as any school in the country.

What it means for next season:
    If Wiltjer decides to come back for his senior campaign, the Zags will have one of the most talented frontcourts in the country. Wiltjer has inside-out skills that have the NBA monitoring his each and every move. Sabonis, another possible early NBA entry, has size, skill and a relentless motor that have the professional ranks excited. The last frontcourt talent, Karnowski, a skilled 5-man with a mammoth frame, will give the Zags yet another gifted post threat for opposing teams to deal with. The key for the Zags heading into next season will be the development of their young backcourt of Perkins and Melson. While the Zags may not be as potent from 3-point range after the departure of Pangos, Perkins and Melson will bring more overall athleticism to the table.

Trending: Level. Although the Zags must replace a terrific senior trio (Pangos, Bell, Wesley), they have recruited very well. The frontcourt strength has been well-documented, but it is the backcourt that has the Zags coaches and fans optimistic and intrigued. Perkins is one of the more dynamic passers in the country and Melson has that potentially lethal combination of athleticism and skill at the 2-guard spot.

Gonzaga Post-Game Press Conference Transcript: LINK

COACH FEW: Well, we knew it was going to be a tough, hard fought game, and, you know, we were right there at the four-minute mark, and we just had some empty possessions that we didn't quite convert on. And, man, if you get down to Duke inside that four minutes, I don't think there's anybody better at finishing games as far as burning clock and getting the right guys to the free throw line, and then, you know, you just have got to convert on your offensive possessions. These guys have done that all year, and I thought Duke played great defense on us, stretches in the first half and late stretches in the second half, and that was probably the difference.
    Q. For all three of you, what has this year meant to you guys?

GARY BELL, JR.: It's meant everything. You know, we made it to an Elite Eight, and this is something you dream of, to play on this stage, the final eight teams playing college basketball. You dream of that stuff growing up. And to be playing for a guy like Coach Few made me a better basketball player. Definitely fortunate enough to be in this position right now.

KEVIN PANGOS: Yes, it's meant everything. The best team I've ever been on talent-wise and the best group of guys and best coaching staff. So, you know, we accomplished a lot and obviously wanted to make it to the Final Four, but we can look back and be pretty happy with what we've been able to do. We just fell a little short. So, great memories of this year, though, that I'll take for the rest of my life.

KYLE WILTJER: We had a lot of fun this year. Close group of guys. We got to take the good from the situation because, I mean, anytime you lose it's not very fun. Great group of guys, and I'm just fortunate to have been on this wonderful team.

Duke: Post-Game Transcript LINK

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Gonzaga Post-Game Press Conference Transcript: LINK
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9oykr9A3oQ

Zimbio game photo album.

Okay, got to find a choice photo to post here ..

From Jim Meehan an Jacob Thorpe of the S-R: "Notebook: Zag seniors already missed"
    HOUSTON – Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski stopped Kevin Pangos in the handshake line for an extended verbal pat on the back.

“He was really nice about saying how he really valued my game and how he wishes we could have been in the Final Four, and I do, too,” said Pangos, after his stellar four-year run at Gonzaga ended with a 66-52 loss to Duke on Sunday. “He was great about it and how this team deserved it.”

Time ran out on the Gonzaga careers of three seniors but teammates and coaches talked at length about the contributions of Pangos, Gary Bell Jr. and Byron Wesley to the program.

“It just sucks that I’m not going to be able to play with them again,” said junior Kyle Dranginis, who was in the same recruiting class as Pangos and Bell but redshirted. “For four years, basically living together, hanging out every day, it’s going to be weird me being the only one left. We made history with these guys and I’m just glad I was able to be part of their team.”

Great piece from Jerry Brewer. Painful five minutes to recap, but a great story of rising to this stage through hard work and savvy recruiting.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/g...our-greatness/
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

That was a nice piece, Fu. Thanks for posting it.

Jim Meehan's Game Story:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ed-final-four/

S-R Links to other coverage can be found at the S-R page linked below:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sport...s-tourney-run/

John Blanchette's Column

http://www.spokesman.com/zags/storie...il-final-four/

If there seemed to be fewer wet eyes and catches in the throat in the Zags’ locker room after Duke’s 66-52 victory Sunday in the NCAA South Regional championship game than after some of the program’s previous crushing ends, it wasn’t because they’d been fulfilled just by getting this far.

Maybe it’s because they’d seen what was possible in a way many other Gonzaga teams hadn’t.

“You could feel it,” said forward Kyle Wiltjer. “We were right there.”

And then they were so far away.
    As always, Blanchette adds a touch of humanity to his prose.