Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: This is strange. I'm not euphoric.

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,313

    Default

    If you want to feel a little of that ecstacy, go downtown. I just got back. I had to run to a sports store to get arch supporters for my shoes (for tennis). I ran into a number of fiends who know I love GU, and to a couple of strangers who recognized the GU gear I am wearing. Wow! If feels good to talk about the game last night and being back to the Elite 8 again.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    So, I sit here having my morning coffee, reading all the media from last night. I'm satisfied. I'm content. I'm not euphoric. I'm very happy that the boys performed to seed thus far and escaped two curses. The first weekend curse and the dreaded curse of aught 6. I'm not sure how I'll feel Sunday. This is super weird. I always imagined that if we ever reached the elite 8 again I would be over the moon. Am I the only one? If anything throughout the course of this run, the Zags have been extremely consistent; mostly performing to seed. Now we get to see how the boys perform when they need to perform _above_ their seed.

    I hope Sunday evening, I'm looking for flights to Indy. Then I think I'll be euphoric.
    As excited as we are to be back in the Elite Eight, the game did not have a lot of drama. We all knew going into that game that we were heavily favored to win and would win if the team played reasonably well. This felt like beating St. Mary's. UCLA is a decent team. We're far better. Our kids went out and played hard, disciplined ball for forty minutes and slowly buried a smaller, less-experienced team.

    As for Duke? We'll all be a little more euphoric, if we beat that team.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Might be the most important game we've played! It's a big one!! This game with Duke, if won, elevates us tremendously. I think we can win this one. Defense is key. I'd get those experienced seniors on the court in droves. Guards must be shut down. I do think we can handle their bigs. The battle will be won or lost in the back court.
    +1

    In the front court, it's our 3 bigs against Okafor. I think we have an advantage there. To me, the key is Tyus Jones. He makes things happen for them by getting into the lane. May tomorrow is the time for a mix of zone? It may be misguided, but I'm not afraid of Okafor because he tends to get a lot of points by going through smaller people- he won't do that to Special K. Going around, that's another story, and I hope that doesn't become a problem- but PK should be able to direct Okafor into some help (ie put some help in the middle and have PK force him there).

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    If you want to feel a little of that ecstacy, go downtown. I just got back. I had to run to a sports store to get arch supporters for my shoes (for tennis). I ran into a number of friends who know I love GU, and to a couple of strangers who recognized the GU gear I am wearing. Wow! If feels good to talk about the game last night and being back to the Elite 8 again.
    The rural town I work in has a large truck stop /travel center where I normally gas up my commuter car. Since the tourney started, I have had pleasant exchanges with strangers (who notice my vanity license plate) and they usually ask if I went there and if I think they can go far in the Big Dance. Guy yesterday offered good wishes and said "I hope you guys get to play Duke. I can't stand them."


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Fair enough, Beez. But we only glimpsed Jenks and even Melson. Add Eddie and a full year of Mac plus a major 3 transfer from Powerfive U. and I think we will be ok. Different, but just fine. Dont forget, the bigs who stay will all improve as well, esp the Bonus.
    Great post! Jazz is a magic man with words.

  6. #31

    Default

    At this point I'm satisfied, but certainly not euphoric. Beating Iowa and getting to the Sweet 16 was relief, not euphoria. As silly as it is, failing to get to the Sweet 16 would have made this season a failure in my mind. Now we've gotten to the Elite Eight, which is exactly the place where we ought be this season, no matter what happens next this season will be a big success. But euphoria is what will occur when we defeat a team as good or better than we are. Euphoria will occur when we advance beyond the place where we expect to be.

    Euphoria will come when we beat Duke and advance to the Final Four.

    Euphoria comes tomorrow.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    I will be euphoric after we beat Duke.
    You can't not get any higher than that.
    Go Zags!
    Beating Kentucky?

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    As excited as we are to be back in the Elite Eight, the game did not have a lot of drama. We all knew going into that game that we were heavily favored to win and would win if the team played reasonably well. This felt like beating St. Mary's. UCLA is a decent team. We're far better. Our kids went out and played hard, disciplined ball for forty minutes and slowly buried a smaller, less-experienced team.

    As for Duke? We'll all be a little more euphoric, if we beat that team.
    The game yesterday just seemed strange. The bad shooting caused by playing on a lit up rectangle inside the vast dome and with what seemed (on TV anyway) like a sedated crowd just didn't feel like a GU game for me anyway. I was happy the team was ahead at the half, but worried that it was only by 7. When the LA team scored the first 6 pts of the 2nd half I tossed my remote and let out some inappropriate expletives. Luckily I was alone. I got excited in the 2nd when the guys responded with a run of their own capped off by a couple of sweet dimes by "the mountain masquerading as a man,” as Jon Rothstein from CBS Sports like to say. I was euphoric when it was over for the players and coaches, for Adam and all the old Dogs.

    I know the broadcast team referenced the 2006 game during the game, but I didn't see them show a shot of Adam or show the video of that ugh moment. Did I miss it? Maybe CBS was waiting for the LA team to hit a 3 to get the deficit under 10. I was still worried with a minute to go, but Alford subbed in some benchers and I thought that was very classy. Then I celebrated with the team and felt euphoria.

    Beat Dook. Go Zags!
    Last edited by MJ777; 03-28-2015 at 02:04 PM.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    The battle will be won or lost in the back court.
    I agree, especially if Pangos and Bell can get hot from behind the arc. But IMO, it could be decided at the free throw line if the game turns into a physical defensive grind of a game. If you look at the team stats for offense (not including S16 games), Gonzaga and Duke are scarily close.

    Zags: FTM (free throws made) 551
    Duke: FTM (free throws made) 551

    Zags: FGA (field goal attempts) 2033
    Duke: FGA (field goal attempts) 2034

    Zags: PPG (points per game) 79.4
    Duke: PPG (points per game) 79.9

    and there is more.

    But defensively, Gonzaga is stronger. At least on paper in the power rankings. so I think if our offense can at least match our averages, then our defense will fluster Duke enough to win this game by 4-5 points, primarily due to our rebounding margin. But we will need a perfect storm to unleash on Duke and I think our back court will shoot better and Duke will go down 68-64.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Fair enough, Beez. But we only glimpsed Jenks and even Melson. Add Eddie and a full year of Mac plus a major 3 transfer from Powerfive U. and I think we will be ok. Different, but just fine. Dont forget, the bigs who stay will all improve as well, esp the Bonus.
    Real surprised you didn't mention KD returning. He is more than a glue guy and he is key piece to have. I think we are more than in good hands next year as well.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag4Hire View Post
    Real surprised you didn't mention KD returning. He is more than a glue guy and he is key piece to have. I think we are more than in good hands next year as well.
    My bad. KD of course. It's just he is so versatile i lost track of his position. He's been brilliant in the tourney.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia Suburb
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Beating Kentucky?
    OK You got me.
    But we have to get to Indy first.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    2,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag4Hire View Post
    Real surprised you didn't mention KD returning. He is more than a glue guy and he is key piece to have. I think we are more than in good hands next year as well.
    KD is a huge piece for next year. It's definitely going to be his turn to shine. He's shown some serious flashes of brilliance this year, he could be a real force next year if it all comes together for him.

    .............

    As for the euphoria, or lack thereof, I agree. I'm not as pumped as I thought I'd be, but I'm also pretty hungover so there's that. haha. I think it will hit me later on. This is exactly how I felt last year after Seattle beat New Orleans to advance to the NFC Championship game. Seattle was the better team and it was a grinder of a game, and we'd been begging for another shot at the 49ers, but it was just more of a relief they got past the Saints so they could face the real challenge that everyone wanted.

    And in that vein, when it's "4th down with the game on the line," I hope it's Gonzaga making the big stop or getting the big bucket to seal this deal. Let's go Zags!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Fair enough, Beez. But we only glimpsed Jenks and even Melson. Add Eddie and a full year of Mac plus a major 3 transfer from Powerfive U. and I think we will be ok. Different, but just fine. Dont forget, the bigs who stay will all improve as well, esp the Bonus.
    Tough to talk next year on the eve of a potential Final4 birth that the program hasn't seen in 15 years. So much happens in a season as we saw this year with the Perk injury. You have to grasp the moment in the present as a player and a fan. Tomorrow is NO guarantee. Unfortunately I know oh to well.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    I agree, especially if Pangos and Bell can get hot from behind the arc. But IMO, it could be decided at the free throw line if the game turns into a physical defensive grind of a game. If you look at the team stats for offense (not including S16 games), Gonzaga and Duke are scarily close.

    Zags: FTM (free throws made) 551
    Duke: FTM (free throws made) 551

    Zags: FGA (field goal attempts) 2033
    Duke: FGA (field goal attempts) 2034

    Zags: PPG (points per game) 79.4
    Duke: PPG (points per game) 79.9

    and there is more.

    But defensively, Gonzaga is stronger. At least on paper in the power rankings. so I think if our offense can at least match our averages, then our defense will fluster Duke enough to win this game by 4-5 points, primarily due to our rebounding margin. But we will need a perfect storm to unleash on Duke and I think our back court will shoot better and Duke will go down 68-64.
    Thanks great info!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,296

    Default

    First I would like to say thank you to all who post and contribute to this board for enriching the Gonzaga fan experience, especially this year when I am juggling more than usual as are my family members. Thinking back to 1999, I remember watching fewer tournament games with milder interest yet being completely riveted by Gonzaga during the entire season. (Remember getting good seats in the Kennel with no problem?) Since then, every tidbit of Zag news has been gobbled up and at some point became a part of my day as much as morning coffee. Gonzaga basketball is a big part of the environment in Spokane and a happy shiny place we find throughout the virtual environment we have all become accustomed to inhabit as electronic information has increasingly shaped our lives. We have a cozier, more intimate and more pervasive relationship with our team because we can. They certainly continue to earn our interest. The highs and lows we experince now are somewhat muted as we have gained knowledge and understanding. This board has changed since I first started reading here with my coffee cup. The voices are rarely shrill, the posts are more pensive and the information is vastly more extensive. Go Zag Fans!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •