Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga vs UCLA...predictions and other thoughts

One factor which always concerns me is the Dome atmosphere. I hate them not only from the standpoint of the fans, but also the players. Occasionally good shooting teams go cold in domes. Defense becomes a very important factor. Have the Zags had any experience in Domes?
    The Zags defense is showing improvement, although there are still occasional lapses, and prayer is occasionally the default defense against treys.

I truly believe that at this juncture it is all about getting crucial stops and making clutch shots. I saw the game in Pauley live, and I think the defense has improved a lot since then. Alford got quite a few open looks. He might also be adversely affected by the Dome, so one strategy is to double down on Parker, and go back to prayer. In a dome, Alford might clunk a few bricks.

I predict a double digit victory for the Zags also, and like Reborn, 20 sounds a bit overly optimistic. It should be an up tempo game. In Pauley KP went 1/6 from 3 point, but both GB and BW shot 2/2. (Wesley scored 20 points). KW went 3/5 from, scored 24 points, Sabonis scored 10 points and collected 6 rebounds in 21 minutes. I don't think we hold Parker to 5 points this time. The Zags took the foot off the pedal in the second half and a late UCLA rally almost brought them back when the Zags lost their defensive intensity.

This time: Zags 83 Bruins 73

Zags 84
    Bears from LA 79

Go Zags!

Zags get it done....

Go!! Zags!!!

78-71, Zags. Slow start, get going after a bit and hold on down the stretch.

The Zags played and won the first ever basketball game at Lucas Oil Stadium against IU. the site of the final 4!!

Gonzaga vs UCLA Preview- http://www.zagaholic.com/2015/03/gon...-sweet-16.html

Zags to the E8....feelin it!

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Bulldogs by 13.
    Cash your winnings check on Saturday or double down on Duke?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Cash

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Zags stunned in first half and down 17 at half. UCLA Giddy over lead and commentators mention that zags have deer in headlight looks. Zags nibble at lead in second half and still down by 10 with 4 to go. Bonehead plays by UCLA bring Zags back. Zags take first lead with 7 seconds left and win 73 to 71. Bryce goes to dad and cries in his arms only to be consoled by Wesley. GAME of the year. Zags continue on and meet Kentucky in final.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post
    Zags stunned in first half and down 17 at half. UCLA Giddy over lead and commentators mention that zags have deer in headlight looks. Zags nibble at lead in second half and still down by 10 with 4 to go. Bonehead plays by UCLA bring Zags back. Zags take first lead with 7 seconds left and win 73 to 71. Bryce goes to dad and cries in his arms only to be consoled by Wesley. GAME of the year. Zags continue on and meet Kentucky in final.
    I get the poetic justice and symmetry of that...but I'd rather lead wire to wire. Would be better for my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I get the poetic justice and symmetry of that...but I'd rather lead wire to wire. Would be better for my nerves.
    indeed.

ZAGS - 81
    UCLA - 70

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

I expect a tough game from the Bruins. The victor will win by less than 5 points...hopefully it will be the Zags. 78-75

UCLA is still in the field because they earned it. They are deserving of healthy respect.

GU played it's best basketball game of the season against Iowa. Folks say UCLA is better. GU is much improved as well.

I'm feeling fairly confident about this game. I think it is a double digit win for the Bulldogs only because of how well they played last weekend. GU doesn't have to shoot 61% to win, but 50% will give a comfortable margin.

Last weekend was the true emergence of Sabonis. That young man is ready for prime time.
    I miss Mike Hart

Game day! Yippee! It took way too long for Friday to get here! If there's any Spokane non-retail business open until 5 today - they're nuts! TVs are gonna be ablazin'!
    Break on Few to the other side! (Love it)

I feel like Gonzaga is on a roll right now and UCLA has used up all of its 9 lives for the season just getting to this point. Both head and heart tell me this game SHOULD be a statement win for GU. That, and GU needs as much momentum as possible if it wants to break through to the FF. They are so close right now I can almost taste it.

We all know there are no guarantees in these games, but 8/10 times I believe Gonzaga wins this game convincingly.

Gonzaga 84
    UCLA 69
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    One factor which always concerns me is the Dome atmosphere. I hate them not only from the standpoint of the fans, but also the players. Occasionally good shooting teams go cold in domes. Defense becomes a very important factor. Have the Zags had any experience in Domes?
    The Zags defense is showing improvement, although there are still occasional lapses, and prayer is occasionally the default defense against treys.

I truly believe that at this juncture it is all about getting crucial stops and making clutch shots. I saw the game in Pauley live, and I think the defense has improved a lot since then. Alford got quite a few open looks. He might also be adversely affected by the Dome, so one strategy is to double down on Parker, and go back to prayer. In a dome, Alford might clunk a few bricks.

I predict a double digit victory for the Zags also, and like Reborn, 20 sounds a bit overly optimistic. It should be an up tempo game. In Pauley KP went 1/6 from 3 point, but both GB and BW shot 2/2. (Wesley scored 20 points). KW went 3/5 from, scored 24 points, Sabonis scored 10 points and collected 6 rebounds in 21 minutes. I don't think we hold Parker to 5 points this time. The Zags took the foot off the pedal in the second half and a late UCLA rally almost brought them back when the Zags lost their defensive intensity.

This time: Zags 83 Bruins 73
    very true shooting backdrop is dramtically different and the bounce on a built up floor is different as well, these two factors give those teams who go inside out an advantage, especially at the beginning portions of a game.......that is our strength

If the bruins incorporate a similar defensive strategy, Wesley with his attacks to the rim will be huge....but I don't think we will see the same defensive game plan from the Bruins, I suspect we will see a weakside hi double down on our bigs , staying tight on strongside shooters.......This will mean we will need to hit a few open jumpers weakside with good ball rotation to loosen that up

zags playing very good defense and will continue.........might see nunez on defense in first half
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default It's Gameday!!!

And it's the best day of the week! Wow! Good morning! I'm feeling good this morning. I am wearing a nice smile on my face. I'm feeling nervous and excited. And for me I felt the best thing to do today was to take the day off and just out with fans here on GUBoards. And talk Zag basketball. Both the nervous feelings and feelings of excitement are pretty normal for a game in the Sweet 16 and having the possibility tonight of breaking on through to the other side of that door that leads to the Elite 8. I know that all of ZagNation is waking up just about now and are so excited for the game tonight. We have waited a long time for this moment. I feel a sense of being connected to ZagNation like never before. I feel that sense of unity that we all love. And there is power in ZagNation today and tonight. And the source of this power comes directly from the heart of the Zags. This is a great team. It's a team we all can believe in.

And there could not be any greater foe the UCLA. And we all know why. It's not because they are not a good team because in fact they are a really good team and are playing very good basketball right now. Can they beat the Zags? Of course they can. This is the NCAA Tournament and any team can beat any team. Regardless. UCLA has great talent; and so does Gonzaga. UCLA has one of the best shooters in college basketball. But still, imo Gonzaga has more. And more than anything they have more experience. And in my opinion more unity and more chemistry and these ingredients are so very important in tonight's game.

Let's begin with Kevin and Gary. They have been waiting for THIS game for four years. I can hardly wait to see them play. They are on a mission. Gary has been playing his best basketball of the season and I know he will be ready tonight. And Kevin is Kevin. He's our leader and he will lead the way. And I know that Kyle Wiltjer and Byron Wesley will be ready because they too have been waiting for so long for this moment. These guys came to Gonzaga to play in this game tonight. Expect a great performance from these guys tonight. And Kyle Dranginis and Przemek Karnowski and Kyle Dranginis have been waiting almost as long. I see them smiling. They are "waiting for this moment to arise." I can't remember what song those words come from. This takes me to Domas Sabonis. He has become the heartbeat of the Zags and brings such power to the game. He fire in him burns so brightly. I know he is ready for this moment because i now know he came to Gonzaga to play in this kind of game that will be played tonight. And that takes me to Eric McClellan. If his play in the last game against Iowa is an indication of how prepared he is to play tonight, I know we will see more of him and his defense on Bryce Alford tonight. McClellan came to GU to resurrect his basketball life, and he is doing just that right now. And I am sure that Silas Melson and and Angel Nunez will get to play tonight and they will also be ready to contribute. The team seems to play best when Few lets all of these guys play because they have all certainly contributed to the success of the team this year. And this tournament is a celebration of that success. And Connor Griffin, Rem Bakamus, Dustin Triano, Ryan Edwards, Bryan Alberts, and Leo Roese will all be so involved in every play of this game, cheering on their brothers with everything they have. They will be fun to watch as they always are. Finally, I want to pay tribute to Josh Perkins, who I know will be there pouring out his love to his brothers. We all miss him, and we all love him, and we all know he is STILL important to this band of brothers. The Zags are ready to "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE of that door that has been locked for way to long.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    This is my mantra now. BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE! BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE!! BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE!!! YA, YA, YA, YA, YAAAAA!!!
    Born, I never took you for a Doors fan, I love them as well. Here are a couple more, paraphrasing.........

UCLA, the Music's Over, Turn Out the Lights
    KW, Light My Fire, from Deeeeeeeeeeeep
    KP is the Lizard King, he can do anything.....

ZAGS by 10.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Born, I never took you for a Doors fan, I love them as well. Here are a couple more, paraphrasing.........

UCLA, the Music's Over, Turn Out the Lights
    KW, Light My Fire, from Deeeeeeeeeeeep
    KP is the Lizard King, he can do anything.....

ZAGS by 10.

Go ZAGS
    Yeah! I graduated in 1970 and the music of those wonderful years certainly affected my life. Maybe because my zoniac sign is scorpio, i have been and am attracted to those deep philosophies at the core of life. Regeneration is the symbol for scorpios, and I believe in that, as I think did the Doors. Nice to know we share this. Oh. And I spent a couple years in Tacoma a few years back teaching at Lincoln High. I really liked Tacoma a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Yeah! I graduated in 1970 and the music of those wonderful years certainly affected my life. Maybe because my zoniac sign is scorpio, i have been and am attracted to those deep philosophies at the core of life. Regeneration is the symbol for scorpios, and I believe in that, as I think did the Doors. Nice to know we share this. Oh. And I spent a couple years in Tacoma a few years back teaching at Lincoln High. I really liked Tacoma a lot.
    Sweet.......I never forgave my Dad for not taking me with him when he saw the Doors in 1967 in San Francisco. I was only 7 but I know I would have appreciated it. He passed all his Doors albums down to me years ago, some of my most prized possessions.

Anyway, back to the ZAGS. I agree that KP and GBJ have waited 4 years for this game, they will not be denied. They need to stay loose and just play........

Go ZAGS

Zags win by 10 or so.

McClellan's contribution are really coming on at the right time and could be the xfactor from here on out. BWes' dominance over UCLA will continue...
    Go Zags!!!

I had the Zags by 14, won by 12. Could have won by 16. Great game win though, but I hated that dome stadium. It just didn't seem like a basketball game.