Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about UCLA, Utah & Duke....this is a week of great entertainment and fun

Default Let's talk about UCLA, Utah & Duke....this is a week of great entertainment and fun

I can't think of three better teams that I would like to play this weekend then these three. UCLA because of what happened in '06, as well as the fact that UCLA has such a great past. I have always loved UCLA because of what John Wooden did there, as well as all the great players that he developed there. Yes developed. Honestly, I don't really like UCLA ANY MORE. They are NOT who they once were. They even have difficulty filling their arena for games. To me Gonzaga, and yes Duke, are the programs who most resemble the Wooden era and Wooden philosophy of basketball. UCLA is playing very good basketball right now, and I am glad. I want the Zags to have to beat a team who is playing well, like Iowa. They have a great starting five, but I see a weakness in their bench. And yet, Alford is as good of a guard as there is in the country, and he will be as difficult to stop as Aaron White was. And I can say the same about Powell. He's a tough player to guard. And Hamilton can really drive to the basket and finish. They also have Parker in the low blocks who weighs 260. Finally they have Looney who is also 6'9". All five of these players average double figures. It's a very good team, and it will be a very good game. But in the end it will be Gonzaga who moves on.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I hope we win this game. I cannot take another loss in the tourney at the hands of UCLA ..... Go Zags!
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

A nice, pleasant tune to get in the proper mindset, but not to get too pumped up quite yet:

Ditto. this would be devastating in my opinion. I can barely tolerate their fan base as it is.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I hope we win this game. I cannot take another loss in the tourney at the hands of UCLA ..... Go Zags!

The law of averages has to catch up with UCLA soon. They are 7-3 in their last ten starts, with two of those losses coming to Arizona. I think I know why the committee put them in the field, but most fans still believe they were gifted an at-large bid. They were gifted a first round win with a phantom goal tend by SMU. And they were gifted a favorable 2nd round matchup with an upstart 14 seed UAB who they already played and beat earlier in the season.

It's a cute story, but it ends Friday. Go Zags!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

ESPN: Strengths and Weaknesses of each team

SOUTH REGION
    Duke Blue Devils

Reasons the Blue Devils advance: Duke has more weapons than you. It all starts with the Blue Devils having arguably the nation's best center in Jahlil Okafor. Whether he has the ball or not, he commands attention. That's partially why Quinn Cook and Justise Winslow have been open to connect on 40 percent of their 3-pointers. Winslow's ability to play power forward gives Mike Krzyzewski the versatility to start a small lineup that complements Okafor from the perimeter. And while most years, the thought of a freshman point guard leading a team would be reason to question its title credentials, Tyus Jones has shown throughout the season (against Michigan State, Wisconsin and North Carolina, especially) he comes up big in the biggest moments.

Reasons the Blue Devils go home: Even with a dominating presence like Okafor inside, when Duke isn't hitting 3-pointers results like its 74-64 loss to Notre Dame in the ACC tournament semifinals can happen. The Blue Devils shot 3-of-17 from behind the arc despite getting 28 points from Okafor. The freshman center has been a liability at the free throw line where he shoots just 51 percent. In a tight game late, opponents might opt to send Okafor to the place on the court this season he's proven he can't deliver.

Utah Utes

Reasons the Utes advance: Delon Wright, a 6-foot-5 guard, should have a size advantage over smaller Duke guards. He can either take them in the post or simply shoot over them. The Utes' 7-foot center Jakob Poeltl has the size to at least stand toe-to-toe with Okafor. Maybe that means the Utes don't have to double team. They pride themselves in helping on defense anyway, that's why they've allowed just 21.8 points per game in the paint, which is the seventh-fewest among major conference teams, according to ESPN Stats and Info.

Reasons the Utes go home: Utah last reached the Sweet 16 in 2005. The Utes could get starry-eyed not only from playing in the second weekend, but facing a marquee team like Duke. The Blue Devils will put pressure on Utah to keep up with their scoring, but that hasn't been a strength in the last part of the season. In losing four out of seven to close the regular season and into the Pac-12 tournament, Utah averaged just 68.1 points. The Utes are going to need more than that to keep playing.

UCLA Bruins

Reasons the Bruins advance: "The team that shouldn't even be here" is the only double-digit seed in the Sweet 16. The Bruins should play loose knowing that, for once, the blue blood program will be considered an underdog. If that somehow leads to more 3-pointers than the 15 UCLA has already made in two NCAA tournament games, look out. Guard Bryce Alford had nine of those 3s in one game as he helped send SMU packing. The Bruins aren't all about finesse though, Kevon Looney -- not Okafor -- has the most double-doubles for a freshman this season with 15. Tony Parker's 22 points in the paint against UAB is the most by any player in the tournament.

Reasons the Bruins go home: The Bruins' play sometimes resembles more of a collection of individuals than a cohesive team. The downside of making so many 3-pointers early is they could easily get infatuated with the idea of launching too many at the expense of their inside game. Defensively UCLA isn't very good defending the 3, allowing opponents to shoot 36 percent from behind the arc. Only Wisconsin and West Virginia allow higher percentages among the remaining field.

Gonzaga Bulldogs

Reasons the Bulldogs advance: Forward Kyle Wiltjer has dropped 45 points in a game this season and is as good a stretch-4 as there is in college basketball. Point guard Kevin Pangos can go head-to-head against anyone. The Zags are tough to stop offensively and their 52.6 field goal percentage provides a good omen. According to ESPN Stats and Info, that's on pace to be the highest shooting percentage by a Division I team since Florida in 2006-07. That Gators team just happened to cut down the nets as national champions. Gonzaga also averages 121.3 points per 100 possessions, which is on pace to be the most efficient offense in the last 15 seasons.

Reasons the Bulldogs go home: It's been called arguably the best team Mark Few as assembled -- potentially better than the squad that was a No. 1 seed in 2013. Gonzaga has had season-long expectations of capturing the program's first-ever Final Four. But those are the kind of expectations that could turn into a burden -- especially against UCLA in a game the Zags will be favored.
    Bring back the OCC

Wright locking up Jones wouldn't surprise me. Poeltl & Co. w/Krystkowiak neutralizing Okafor wouldn't surprise me. That game has the potential to be a donnybrook. What do you guys think?

The Zags erase history in the name of Adam Morrison. No way our program lets UCLA win this. We have to have a chip the size of Everest for this game!

Call me crazy, but I have Utah beating Duke in my south region bracket. The Utes have that good combination of tough defense and good shooting from the outside that can cause Duke trouble. They also have two really tough centers who I believe will give Okafer trouble. Duke also starts three freshmen, and I believe their confidence will begin to crumble in this game. Utah has been given very little consideration by the talking heads this year in this tournament. I think they play with a chip on their shoulder. And that's good. I also believe that there is not a great deal of respect for the PAC 12 nor West Coast basketball (Gonzaga). So far we have mostly heard about The ACC and Kentucky, and all year long we heard about The Big 12, and it still continues. West Coast basketball is a lot tougher then most analysts realize. 3 of the 4 PAC teams who went to the tournament are still in. Yes the ACC has 5, but there has not been any talk about the PAC 12 getting 3 of 4 in the round of 16. And if you include Gonzaga in the talk of West Coast ball, you have 4 of five teams still standing. Take a look at the South bracket. Three of the four teams still left in the South are West Coast schools (Gonzaga, Utah and UCLA). And if you look at the one team who was illiminated, Oregon, you will see a very very good team who played a hell of a game against Wisconsin. Utah also has a truly fantastic guard in Delon Wright. I have really enjoyed watching him play this year. He is capable of controlling the game. In order to beat Duke you have to play tough defense and have three point shooters. Utah has that. As good as Duke's outside shooters are, Utah shoots a little bit better from the 3 point line then Duke. I think that that is good news.

Not only would I like to see UCLA taken out to the woodshed again for revenge for 2006, I'd also like to see a revenge/statement game against Duke in the Elite 8. The last few times the Zags have played Duke the games were blowouts in Duke's favor. Nothing says the Zags have arrived at the top of the mountain like beating down NCAA Hoop royalty!

We already won the mascot battle:

Zags #12, UCLA #39: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...rney-ranked/41

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Not only would I like to see UCLA taken out to the woodshed again for revenge for 2006, I'd also like to see a revenge/statement game against Duke in the Elite 8. The last few times the Zags have played Duke the games were blowouts in Duke's favor. Nothing says the Zags have arrived at the top of the mountain like beating down NCAA Hoop royalty!
    I agree. If Gonzaga beats UCLA, I would love to have the next matchup be against Duke. I think Gonzaga matches up very well with them and I would love to see that game.
    Bring back the OCC

Well, Duke is Duke. They will always have the psychological edge. And they have the best coach in college basketball. Mike has done a great job with this talented group, three are freshmen. He has brought them along wonderfully. He has the best player in college basketball this year (but we'll say more about that after this weeked). He is extremely talented in the low post. He has a lot of ways to score. But this has also been said about Wiltjer.

Because point guard play is so vital in this tournament, I give the advantage to both Utah and Gonzaga vs Duke. I also believe that a number 1 will fall this weekend and Duke is the mostly likely one who will fall. I think they are very very very talented, but they are also very very very young. I think if it comes down to GU vs Duke, Gonzaga's experience will prevail.

Considering I still have that futures bet that nets me 30 k if the Zags win it, and considering I already have Final Four tickets, I am saying, LETS GO ZAGS! LETS GO UTES!

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Considering I still have that futures bet that nets me 30 k if the Zags win it, and considering I already have Final Four tickets, I am saying, LETS GO ZAGS! LETS GO UTES!
    think of you every day………….GO ZAGS

Your bet is worthy of a scene in a future movie about ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    think of you every day………….GO ZAGS

Your bet is worthy of a scene in a future movie about ZAGS
    I appreciate the good vibes! Thanks brotha! That would be something. Regardless, the season has been a wonderful ride.

I also never mentioned this, but before the season started I just started talking again to a kid i grew up with who happened to be my best friend as a youngster. I told him also to put a few hundred on the Zags as I thought they would have a chance. The guy knew nothing about this team, but we used to have our parents follow the Zags bus around to the local hotel and ask for autographs as 8 year olds so he did it for nostalgic purposes. Neither of us are big timers with a lot of $$ but we thought what the hell. Even if we lose, we are still living with our parents. He has shared this ride with me, and its renewed a friendship from long ago. LETS GO ZAGS!

I appreciate the good vibes! Thanks brotha! That would be something. Regardless, the season has been a wonderful ride.

I also never mentioned this, but before the season started I just started talking again to a kid i grew up with who happened to be my best friend as a youngster. I told him also to put a few hundred on the Zags as I thought they would have a chance. The guy knew nothing about this team, but we used to have our parents follow the Zags bus around to the local hotel and ask for autographs as 8 year olds so he did it for nostalgic purposes. He has shared this ride with me, and its renewed a friendship from long ago. LETS GO ZAGS!
    Awesome awesome story. Lets go zags!

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Call me crazy, but I have Utah beating Duke in my south region bracket.
    Agree with you on this, Utah is really good.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

All I gotta say until we predict scores .......

I also never mentioned this, but before the season started I just started talking again to a kid i grew up with who happened to be my best friend as a youngster. I told him also to put a few hundred on the Zags as I thought they would have a chance. The guy knew nothing about this team, but we used to have our parents follow the Zags bus around to the local hotel and ask for autographs as 8 year olds so he did it for nostalgic purposes. Neither of us are big timers with a lot of $$ but we thought what the hell. Even if we lose, we are still living with our parents. He has shared this ride with me, and its renewed a friendship from long ago. LETS GO ZAGS!
    Wow …….OK scene just became script!

Make copies of the ticket and frame at least 1 ……

Duke is the one team that I have really watched this year.

IF we play them (assuming UCLA and they beat Utah)

The key in my opinion is containing Okafor (obviously) and that can be done through a mix of three things.

A. "Hack-Saw" an Oak. He's 50% from the line, rotate Nunez through, have everyone pick up one or two getting him frustrated and to the line.
    B. Shem and Domas stand their ground. 50% of Okafor's game is just bum-rushing over guys to the hoop. He doesn't have all that great a spin or drop step, he just goes through. Shem might be one of the only people in the country that he can't go through.
    C. Get the charge called on Okafor. Few needs to pull a ref aside very early and say he won't tolerate Okafor going right through his guys to the hoop, at least let the ref know that he is on notice that it is a huge problem. If we could get just two of those charges called early, it changes everything about Okafor.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Appears that the metrics favor the Zags advancing out of this region at 50-plus percent. For what it's worth, the only "reason" that the Zags don't advance according to many pundits is the burden of our history of tourney flame-outs. If our history is our greatest weakness, I like our chances.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be.
    Coach John R. Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Duke is the one team that I have really watched this year.

IF we play them (assuming UCLA and they beat Utah)

The key in my opinion is containing Okafor (obviously) and that can be done through a mix of three things.

A. "Hack-Saw" an Oak. He's 50% from the line, rotate Nunez through, have everyone pick up one or two getting him frustrated and to the line.
    B. Shem and Domas stand their ground. 50% of Okafor's game is just bum-rushing over guys to the hoop. He doesn't have all that great a spin or drop step, he just goes through. Shem might be one of the only people in the country that he can't go through.
    C. Get the charge called on Okafor. Few needs to pull a ref aside very early and say he won't tolerate Okafor going right through his guys to the hoop, at least let the ref know that he is on notice that it is a huge problem. If we could get just two of those charges called early, it changes everything about Okafor.

Thought the same thing watching Duke. Nunez and even quick doubles pinning Oka on base line. Lets see how he likes shooting free throws early in games with getting Nunez in early and putting him on the line. Set the tone

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Call me crazy, but I have Utah beating Duke in my south region bracket. The Utes have that good combination of tough defense and good shooting from the outside that can cause Duke trouble. They also have two really tough centers who I believe will give Okafer trouble. Duke also starts three freshmen, and I believe their confidence will begin to crumble in this game. Utah has been given very little consideration by the talking heads this year in this tournament. I think they play with a chip on their shoulder. And that's good. I also believe that there is not a great deal of respect for the PAC 12 nor West Coast basketball (Gonzaga). So far we have mostly heard about The ACC and Kentucky, and all year long we heard about The Big 12, and it still continues. West Coast basketball is a lot tougher then most analysts realize. 3 of the 4 PAC teams who went to the tournament are still in. Yes the ACC has 5, but there has not been any talk about the PAC 12 getting 3 of 4 in the round of 16. And if you include Gonzaga in the talk of West Coast ball, you have 4 of five teams still standing. Take a look at the South bracket. Three of the four teams still left in the South are West Coast schools (Gonzaga, Utah and UCLA). And if you look at the one team who was illiminated, Oregon, you will see a very very good team who played a hell of a game against Wisconsin. Utah also has a truly fantastic guard in Delon Wright. I have really enjoyed watching him play this year. He is capable of controlling the game. In order to beat Duke you have to play tough defense and have three point shooters. Utah has that. As good as Duke's outside shooters are, Utah shoots a little bit better from the 3 point line then Duke. I think that that is good news.
    Depends on which Utah shows up--bad Utah means they get blown out of the water but a good Utah means they will beat Duke. In my opinion the good Utah is going to show up and Duke goes home early.

Interestingly UCLA's "best" games down the stretch were a pair of losses to Arizona. After a disastrous 0-2 road trip against the Arizona schools they won four in a row against bad teams UW, Wazzu, USC (twice). Their road to the Sweet 16 wasn't exactly daunting. They may be playing better than when Gonzaga beat them in December, but think the Zags are clearly still a better team than the Bruins.

I said it on the other thread. This week is going to be a daunting task. A very daunting task. UCLA/Duke/Utah will not be easy to get past. AT ALL. I really think it will take some breaks to go our way to win both games. That being said, if we somehow get through this week, and on to the next week, I think we will be playing for the title. I don't see a team in the other region that scares me. Not NC State, not the fighting Izzos, not Lon Kruger and his Sooners. Not even Pitino and his cardinals.

But my belief is that whoever does win this region goes to the title game. And I will stand by that. Whoever it is, please let it be the Zags!

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR