Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga vs Iowa....predictions and other thoughts

Yes, good odds. I agree.

But, I highly doubt the players, nor Few would even acknowledge this. O please let them show dominance against IOWA!

I like the spot where the Zags are in. If I were an Iowa fan, I would have preferred the nobody sees us coming routine as opposed to we are going to stomp them because all these talking heads are driving the new found bandwagon. Overconfidence can be a dangerous thing and end up leaving you more exposed.

IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Quote Originally Posted by ballerstatus View Post
    Well where to start, if you think the help defense is solid, you're wrong. If you thought the entry passes were solid, you're also wrong.

I have given the Zags the support for 25 years.

Negative, well maybe? But realistic, yes. These are college kids, they make mistakes. But you must be as blind as a bat if you believe they have played great in the last month.

In the beginning of the season, they looked much better. I can sit here all day and say Go Zags! But I can't do that when they aren't playing to their potential. We both like the Zags.

Go watch the NDSU game again.

I'm sorry but I can't be on the wagon of thinking ZAGS are the Best Team Ever La La Land.

I support the Bulldogs, but they MUST PLAY BETTER, MUCH BETTER. THEY MUST PLAY BETTER ON BALL DEFENSE.
    Sorry, but I just don't see how you can call what you do (here on this thread) supports the Zags. Name one player who would read what you've written and then believe you support him and his team. Also I have watched the game again, and like every other time I've done that the Zags always look better the second time I watch them because, like you, I am very critical during a game sometimes. If you read my post I didn't mention what I thought about the last month. I certainly didn't say anything about solid defense or those turnovers last night. I saw the mistakes. I always do, yet I do not let them dominate my thinking or my view of them as a team. I also see Wiltjer and Pangos stepping up and taking over a game in the last 10 minutes. I see them hitting really big shots. I see Sabonis being a prize fighter like he is every game and collecting 11 rebounds. Yes I saw his one bad entry pass, as you did, but I won't let that make me blind to all the good things he did. He even hit a jump shot from the foul line which I have been hoping every day that he would shoot. I saw Wiltjer throw the ball away four times, and look bad at the beginning of the game. But I did see his shooting and intensity on the boards in the second half. Once again he got 8 boards. Very few fans ever give him credit for his tough rebounding (all year). I saw Kevin Pangos play his butt off all game, and fight for every lose ball, and pick up 3 charges on the SDSU. He is one tough player. And I saw him being the All-Star player that he is the last 10 minutes, which are the minutes that really matter.

I believe that you're gonna see what I'm talking about tomorrow night. It's easier to see when they are playing better teams. You can worry if you want. I'm not going to because I DO see a different team then you do. I think it has to do with expectations. Some fans expected the Zags to blow out every team in the WCC this year to PROVE that we are so much better. I did not have that expectation because I know how difficult it is to play in ANY conference. I know how hard it is in ANY conference to with the conference by 4 or 5 games. I agree that the Zags got a little bored, a little complacent, and they let their guards down, and they paid for it against BYU. I feel they are back on track now.

I would agree with you that they will need to play better against Iowa. But don't you just kind of feel that they are going to?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Tomorrow as this time, we will be close to knowing. Id love a win and sweet payback in the s16vs ucla and help my ptsd of that game long ago.
    Love the zags for life

I think Kevin needs to be more assertive. Not just in waiting to look to score when needed, but to penetrate and drive to the middle then either dish off to our bigs or kick it out for a three. Right now he's wasting so much talent by just dumping down to the block and waiting for kick outs. I'd like to see us ditch some of this action and even some of the high-low sets in favor of Pangos getting into the teeth of the defense and picking them apart from there.

this is a predicting board
    has anybody seen the predictions by Las Vegas and other legal betting locations for the game against Iowa Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    this is a predicting board
    has anybody seen the predictions by Las Vegas and other legal betting locations for the game against Iowa Sunday?
    http://www.docsports.com/college-basketball-lines.html

Zags giving 6.5

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

I don't think the team has played as well as they did earlier in the season. If I could tell them one thing to help them tomorrow, I'd tell them to speed up their offensive movement....not getting up the court so much as in the half court set. In early season contests (UGA @ ST. John's) the offense was run much quicker. Obviously we were trying to get it inside yesterday and lofted a few ducks into turnovers....we are much better when we operate quicker AND its much tougher to defend us to....make those offensive cuts like we mean it. We pummeled a s-16 UCLA team with that quick movement.....we are REAL hard to guard when we do it....we also generate more fouls on the other teams. When we get comfortable...we get sloppy and think too much...live on the edge a bit.

Historical odds don't mean a thing....a team's effort/executiont does.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Speaking of crowd.

I've noticed UNI and Iowa fans are aligning themselves via message board to root on their home state!

Darn it.

What are the chances?

UNI plays immediately after our game. Not hated rivals at all, nothing like Iowa St vs Iowa.

The UNI fans flooding the arena will help neutralize the home court advantage, if not inspire them.

Ugh.
    No worries, there weren't that many UNI fans in the building. And they didn't make much noise. Even though their team played really well for the most part. Wyoming fans were WAY louder in that game, just didn't have much to cheer about.

Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    I don't think the team has played as well as they did earlier in the season. If I could tell them one thing to help them tomorrow, I'd tell them to speed up their offensive movement....not getting up the court so much as in the half court set. In early season contests (UGA @ ST. John's) the offense was run much quicker. Obviously we were trying to get it inside yesterday and lofted a few ducks into turnovers....we are much better when we operate quicker AND its much tougher to defend us to....make those offensive cuts like we mean it. We pummeled a s-16 UCLA team with that quick movement.....we are REAL hard to guard when we do it....we also generate more fouls on the other teams. When we get comfortable...we get sloppy and think too much...live on the edge a bit.

Historical odds don't mean a thing....a team's effort/executiont does.
    This
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Villanova clobbered Lafayette by 41 points in the opening round. North Carolina State didn't stand a chance against Villanova.

Oh wait........I guess that beat down didn't guarantee anything.

On another note, I wonder if NDSU's Werner has ever played a better game in his life. I don't think so because I would have heard of him if he did. Can Iowa's White play any better? I hope not.

Bring on the Hawkeyes!
    Last edited by MickMick; 03-22-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by ballerstatus View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't be on the wagon of thinking ZAGS are the Best Team Ever La La Land.
    33-2
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

One last thing: Only a fool would count this team out. The determination to win with PANG!, Kyle, Sabs, Karno, GBJ, Drano, and Wesley is very apparent.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Gonzaga 73 - Suuuueeee Farmers 60

It'll be a tough game, but I think there are just enough factors in our favor:

GU 70
    Iowa 66

I expect a one possession game, possibly overtime. Scores probably in the 80s because neither team will be able to stop the either. In the end Pangos won't let them lose.

Default It's GAMEDAY...The best day of the week.

And this just could be the best day of the year. This is the day we will find out if we finally make it back to the Sweet 16. This is surely something that we have waited for. As everyone is asking. Could this be the year? We will soon find out.

Both teams are ready for a truly tough fight. And I truly believe that Gonzaga is tougher then Iowa. They may be taller, but we will cut them down like trees. I know how badly our guys want this, and they have been waiting for this day for a whole year. And Kevin and Gary and PK and Draino have been waiting longer then that. And so has Wesley. I KNOW that Byron came to GU for this day. Now they all must just finish the deal. There's really not to say. The time is here. The best thing I can do now is just BELIEVE. That is how I will get myself ready.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Im nervous as there is a possibility of finality to our zags season and careers. I dont want it to end. Id like a couple more weeks, and i know this team will go out on its shield. I believe we win and nothing will change it.
    Love the zags for life

Zags win by 5. They will be up by 10 a couple of minutes before the end of the game, but repeated fouling, mostly on Shem, narrows the margin
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Hope I'm wrong, but don't have a good feeling. Felt better about this game yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guys have heard the talk. They watched Iowa beat up on Davidson. They come out with aggression. This is our turf, our state, our time. Mid seeded power conference teams is wjo the Zags feed on. 5 minutes in Zags take 10 point lead forcing an early timeout. Back and forth game til half, Zags up 7-9. Iowa makes 2nd half run, but we respond each time. Gary breaks out of game 1 slump and Karno\Sabonis control their bigs. UCLA awaits.

Zags 81
    Hawks 70

It should be a good one. Zags prevail 81-77.

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Since 1985, # 2 seeds have played 71 times in the second round versus # 7 seeds. The #2's have a .750 winning percentage (53 - 18). Pretty good odds. . .

Prediction: Zags hold serve and advance to the Sweet 16 in a nail-biter, 76 - 73.
    Very glad to be so wrong. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    And this just could be the best day of the year. This is the day we will find out if we finally make it back to the Sweet 16. This is surely something that we have waited for. As everyone is asking. Could this be the year? We will soon find out.

Both teams are ready for a truly tough fight. And I truly believe that Gonzaga is tougher then Iowa. They may be taller, but we will cut them down like trees. I know how badly our guys want this, and they have been waiting for this day for a whole year. And Kevin and Gary and PK and Draino have been waiting longer then that. And so has Wesley. I KNOW that Byron came to GU for this day. Now they all must just finish the deal. There's really not to say. The time is here. The best thing I can do now is just BELIEVE. That is how I will get myself ready.
    Well said, the doubters have been put in their place. I picked the Zags to win by 4, but still had serious doubts.