Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Iowa....predictions and other thoughts

Default Predictions vs Iowa

Sorry Reborn im antsy.

Zags 73
    Iowa 65

Zags defense lock down, And shem going to town. Hawkeyes 3s go to die, and they asking why? Bell gonna hound for 40 minutes of hell. We will all stand up shouting how sweet it is. Such a treat.

LETS GO!!!!!!!!!

Surgeon in Korean War 185
    Bullpups 40
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default Gonzaga vs Iowa....predictions and other thoughts

OK! On to the game on Sunday with Iowa. It will be another fantastic game. It's the NCAA Tournament. Iowa looked pretty good against Davidson, but will they look that good tomorrow. I doubt it. Their record tells me that they won't. Gonzaga is a much better team then Davidson, and much taller. I think the Zags played just fine last night for their first game in the tournament. Like Izzo said, just advance. Thats the key and that's what we hope for.

I am going with
    Gonzaga 83
    Iowa 74

It will be another very good game.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Gonzaga 79 Iowa 61.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Gonzaga 75
    Hawkeyes 71

Gonzaga will win by double digits..Iowa got hot for one game.

Zags - 83
    Iowa - 71

Zags are built to play against power conference teams.

Iowa is a power conference team.

Ergo, the Zags will win.

72-65 Zags...

This scenario totally reminds me of 2011-12. Zags just smoked WVU in Pittsburgh and the board was riding the adrenaline of said win into the matchup with Ohio State. There was plenty of talk that Gonzaga had the best early performance of the initial NCAA tournament offerings and plenty of people were talking up the Zags. Zags had their chances against Ohio State but it wasn't to be. I will expect a similar result. A few notes:

1) With the recklessness of some of the opponents we have played so far and resulting injuries, I think you have to be more than just a little concerned that Iowa's Woodbury has been accused more than once of gouging his opponents' eyes?

2) Davidson was absolutely not putting much of a defensive effort and were clearly not a physical matchup for Hawks--Zags match up well against most teams physically so it was not surprising Zags absolutely dominated the glass and yet the Hawks didn't dominate Davidson on the glass.

3) Again the FTs need to improve--they just have to;

4) Iowa just isn't a good shooting team or they don't get quality shots. An argument would be coming well if you played B10 teams, you wouldn't get quality shots either. Well if they are shooting at around 42% on the year, last night's 50% was a data outlier. I think Hawks will shoot above their average for 3Pt% (we all know this) but come back to home with a bit under average around 40%. This will be the big difference.

5) Did Melson get in last night? It was good to see EMac get some floor time but I think Melson could be a quality change of pace guy that would afford GU possibly some good breakout baskets.

6) 3/4 press was done out of the gate and broken quickly for a 3 ball. It was quickly shelved. Do Zags unfurl it at any time during Iowa game? I think there were a couple times it could have worked because NDSU was rather sloppy with the rock more than a handful of times. Don't really know how Iowa plays but could be a consideration if Hawks try to matchup size and don't have more than one ballhandler on court.

7) One thing to remember: I doubt many teams have the disparity in player of the game straw polls. It really is pick your poison with this team. Some people were telling me they thought NDSU shut down GU's bigs () but were burned by guards. I brought up KW had 23, Karno had 11 and Sabs had double digit boards. He said exactly. If this is the case, if Hawks institutes M2M and allow the Gonzaga players to play to their strengths, it sounds like a slow death by "when you are everywhere, you are nowhere".

The only thing that would have changed my mind about this matchup would have been something crazy like a key injury (BTW Karno's eye is OK, right?) or some kind of crazy suspension. Outside that, should be business as usual.

Zags 71
    Hawks 68
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Good post, Zag4Hire. WE must remember that Wiltjer and Pangos are our two Wooden award finalists and will carry this team. They played great last night, especially Pangos, imo. He was working his butt off the whole game. The other thing to remember is that SDSU made two threes in the last minute when Gonzaga was letting them to score at will. That should have been a 16 point victory last night. But that's okay. Let them have those final two three's. Their egos needed it I guess. They were fighters all the way. Gonzaga showed a hell of a lot more class at the end in my opinion. Who really cares about the margin of victory now anyway. What matters now is advancing.

Gonzaga is at the door that leads to the Sweet 16. We've been knocking at that door for 5 or 6 years now. It's time to break it down. It's time to blow it down. And we will. We all need to remember that most of us have believed in this team from the very beginning. Why stop believing now? where is your faith? And oh! I like our odds when we don't play a perfect game the first game of a tournament. A tournament is a step by step progress, one step at a time, and the team should gradually get better and better as they go along. I think Iowa played their best game they could, and will not play as good tomorrow. And Gonzaga will play better.

Zags 85 - Iowa 70
    Methinks the crowd will be into it Sunday night and so will the Zags. These Zags are destined for more than one more game! Determination, Depth, Defense will pluck the Hawkeyes!

http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

GU has a big advantage in the backcourt. Eric, Bell, and Pangoes can dominate. Time for the 3/4 press and keep the pressure. Many have made much of Iowa being NDSU, but remember the this same Iowa team got owed by Texas only a few weeks after GU scrimmage with Texas. The Longhorn guards owned the Hawkeyes backcourt. Attack that advantage in the backcourt and GU wins 83-74. Pangos and Bell have their last hurray in this tournament, time for them to dominate and stamp themselves as the legends.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Speaking of crowd.

I've noticed UNI and Iowa fans are aligning themselves via message board to root on their home state!

Darn it.

What are the chances?

UNI plays immediately after our game. Not hated rivals at all, nothing like Iowa St vs Iowa.

The UNI fans flooding the arena will help neutralize the home court advantage, if not inspire them.

Ugh.

Good lord...relax!

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Speaking of crowd.

I've noticed UNI and Iowa fans are aligning themselves via message board to root on their home state!

Darn it.

What are the chances?

UNI plays immediately after our game. Not hated rivals at all, nothing like Iowa St vs Iowa.

The UNI fans flooding the arena will help neutralize the home court advantage, if not inspire them.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Speaking of crowd.

Darn it.

What are the chances?

Ugh.
    well maybe they will pull for us when we play Duke. Think positive. Ok Sorry. I see what you're saying. UNI plays after us on Sunday. So there will be more fans for Iowa tomorrow. It's ok. Gonzaga will have enough fans. I'm sure we'll have at least half of them. And the Seattle neutral fans who will be there will pull for the Zags in my opinion. I don't think Seattle people will root for Iowa the way they may have rooted for a smaller NDSU team. Fans love upsets. I think that Iowa might be favored as It's been a long time since Zags have made it past the round of 32. Many basketball fans will be looking for the Zags to choke again. Maybe the fans will really get behind the Zags to finally break through. Afterall, we are the best team in the State and the Best team in the PNW.

"Choke again?" I can only think of one time in the past ten years the Zags could be classified as choking? Do you have some games I'm not aware of?

ZAGS in a track meet, 85-74. KW plays great D by outscoring his guy by 14 (AMMO defense). KP runs the show flawlessly again and drops 20 on the Hawkeye backcourt. GBJ plays great defense again and makes 4 3's. Karno and Bonus outrebound the Hawkeye bigs and we punch our ticket for Houston and UCLA.

Go ZAGS

Zags: 80
    Not Zags: 75

Very close battle, neither team able to pull away. I think we'll be down a bit throughout the first half. I actually think that might not be a bad thing. We don't play our best ball when out in front 6-10 pts (or 13 as last night).

I do not think we'll get more than 10 ahead of them at any point. I think Kevin must get more involved in the offense throughout the game, not just "crunch times" - we'll have fewer crunch times if he is attacking offensively. The guy is just too good a shooter to not use that advantage. I think our size will wear down a very big team that isn't used to going up against people their size.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I predict if Gonzaga can make their free throws they will win.

By that I mean >75% for the game.

Bigs can't let these guys get in their heads. These guys average like 5 blocks per game as a team. Take the medicine and put the ball back up on the iron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ANYCHawk View Post
    We understand. It's a bad side effect of hard fought games in March. But, you'll have all off-season to get over it. Make it to mid-summer, then football will take your minds off it for a while.

Sorry to bring up football. I'm sure you could beat us in football.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Let's all take a look in the mirror here and be realistic.

For whatever reason the Zags haven't played consistent in the last month. The defensive effort is there most the time, but the help is awful, and despite NDSU hitting 3's the ball wasn't even being denied to the wings, in other words it was too easy for them to get a shot off at times. I love Bell's defense and thought he played solid. But that pud NDSU had gave even our bigs a clinic at times, yes I know we had foul trouble. And for the love of god, why don't we switch to zone from time to time, especially with teams in the past who can't drain from the outside. The Zags have no chance playing man to man against a more athletic team who's game plan is to get the bucket.

The post entry passing was predictable and terrible, against a lengthier opponent, those will turn into more turn overs.

I want McClellan to play a lot more, he has great vision and athleticism.

Welsey shouldn't be shooting from the outside, ever. His strength is near the bucket, and he should do it much more.

Pangos needs to take over sooner when the Zags fall apart a bit. His job of being the facilitator is great, but in the tournament he needs to get more aggressive offensively.

In the end, NDSU had nothing to lose and it showed, but they played hard, made some great shots, and fortunately we won. HOWEVER, I am concerned, and I am sick and tired of hearing the national press give Gonzaga so much credit because right now, we are barely getting by teams. It'd be great if they had that killer instinct, but truthfully I don't think that's Few's style. Defense wins games, in order to go deep into the tournament, that absolutely has to happen. GO ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by ballerstatus View Post
    Let's all take a look in the mirror here and be realistic.

For whatever reason the Zags haven't played consistent in the last month. The defensive effort is there most the time, but the help is awful, and despite NDSU hitting 3's the ball wasn't even being denied to the wings, in other words it was too easy for them to get a shot off at times. I love Bell's defense and thought he played solid. But that pud NDSU had gave even our bigs a clinic at times, yes I know we had foul trouble. And for the love of god, why don't we switch to zone from time to time, especially with teams in the past who can't drain from the outside. The Zags have no chance playing man to man against a more athletic team who's game plan is to get the bucket.

The post entry passing was predictable and terrible, against a lengthier opponent, those will turn into more turn overs.

I want McClellan to play a lot more, he has great vision and athleticism.

Welsey shouldn't be shooting from the outside, ever. His strength is near the bucket, and he should do it much more.

Pangos needs to take over sooner when the Zags fall apart a bit. His job of being the facilitator is great, but in the tournament he needs to get more aggressive offensively.

In the end, NDSU had nothing to lose and it showed, but they played hard, made some great shots, and fortunately we won. HOWEVER, I am concerned, and I am sick and tired of hearing the national press give Gonzaga so much credit because right now, we are barely getting by teams. It'd be great if they had that killer instinct, but truthfully I don't think that's Few's style. Defense wins games, in order to go deep into the tournament, that absolutely has to happen. GO ZAGS
    Ha ha ha. When I look in the mirror I see a winner. When I look at the Zags I see a winner. I don't see what you see at all, and I think you are the one who needs to look in the mirror. You'll see a very negative person who sees the world through his negative lens, and of course he's going to focus on the negative things in the world. You say Gonzaga is undeserving praise that the media is giving them. And I reply, what kind of a fan are you? I just don't get guys like who. But I know there are as many negative people in the world as positive ones. I just never expected them to surface so much during the NCAA Tournament, when our boys are fighting to become the best Zag team ever. I know one thing, sir. The Zags would certainly appreciate your suppport. But unfortunately, every team has ungrateful fans. So don't try to convince me that the world you see is reality, and although you want me to buy the crap you sell, you'll never get me on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Sorry Reborn im antsy.

Zags 73
    Iowa 65

Zags defense lock down, And shem going to town. Hawkeyes 3s go to die, and they asking why? Bell gonna hound for 40 minutes of hell. We will all stand up shouting how sweet it is. Such a treat.

LETS GO!!!!!!!!!
    Hey It's March Madness. Everything is at stake now. Who isn't a little antsy. hahaha. It nerve racking. However this is what we have waited for all year long. this next game is our chance to finally make it back to the Sweet 16. I have believed in this team all year, and I sure ain't quittin right now. Yes, Iowa looking scary good last night. They pounded Davidson. They are big. They are almost Kentucky Big. So it's going to be a true test, and it should be. My God it's the NCAA tournament. At this point we CAN'T hope to play easy games. There just aren't any. And I will say one thing. NDSU has more fight in them then Iowa does. Iowa, although big, is not what I'd call tough nor real physical. What I'm trying to say is that I never wanted to play Davidson, and prefer Iowa. I predicted that Iowa would beat Davidson. Their size was just too much for Davidson to handle, and when their best player went out with 3 fouls in the first part of the first half that really killed them. They never recovered really. We have been described as big, but it's truely iowa who is BIG. We will be smaller them then, and in this game we will need to have the fire in OUR belly. We will need to be the FIGHTER. We must be aggressive. we must take the fight to them.

This is only the beginning of a whole lot of fun, and a whole lot of anxiety too. We have believed in this all year, so let's just keep the faith, and believe in our team. They can do this. They will be tougher tomorrow night, just wait and see. We have been prepared for this moment. And it's here. Tomorrow night the Zags will finally break through that door leading to the Sweet 16. Pangos and Bell have nocked on it, kicked it, pounded it for 3 years. It is now time for them to just blow that door up and rush through screaming, yelling, acting crazy. I AM READY TO SEE THAT.
    Last edited by Reborn; 03-21-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Well where to start, if you think the help defense is solid, you're wrong. If you thought the entry passes were solid, you're also wrong.

I have given the Zags the support for 25 years.

Negative, well maybe? But realistic, yes. These are college kids, they make mistakes. But you must be as blind as a bat if you believe they have played great in the last month.

In the beginning of the season, they looked much better. I can sit here all day and say Go Zags! But I can't do that when they aren't playing to their potential. We both like the Zags.

Go watch the NDSU game again.

I'm sorry but I can't be on the wagon of thinking ZAGS are the Best Team Ever La La Land.

I support the Bulldogs, but they MUST PLAY BETTER, MUCH BETTER. THEY MUST PLAY BETTER ON BALL DEFENSE.

Since 1985, # 2 seeds have played 71 times in the second round versus # 7 seeds. The #2's have a .750 winning percentage (53 - 18). Pretty good odds. . .

Prediction: Zags hold serve and advance to the Sweet 16 in a nail-biter, 76 - 73.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.