Thread: Experience (Zags) vs. Iowa...

Default Experience (Zags) vs. Iowa...

No player on Iowa has played more than 2 NCAA Tournament games. For Gary & Kevin this will be their 7th NCAA Tournament game. Kyle was on a National Championship team with a limited roll. Iowa is a good team to be respected. Davidson lost by 20 to VCU in BKLYN entering the tournament so they were not playing well heading into the dance. The reason I am very high on Wisconsin this year is they knocked on the door last year in the FF and were turned away leaving them on a mission to take the next step. Gary and Kevin have been here 3 previous times. I put a premium on player experience in games like this. We are in Seattle. I feel VERY VERY good about this game against a solid team. Zags will gut it out and fight with the character of champions tomorrow. Having quality seniors here (Wes, KP & Gary) can be one of the most valuable assets in a game like this against Iowa.

Lets bring home a SWEET16 birth tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't be at the game. I urge all of Zag Nation on the West Coast to bring your A game as fans. The TEAM needs you. The Zags worked ALL season to give themselves this home court edge. Help them bring it home. You can be the 6th man.

Have fun and enjoy!

Amen to that! It seemed like the arena was louder for NDSt than for Gonzaga, and the Bison got hot. Seattle should be our home court! We are an experienced team but just as you said Val, Iowa is good and should be respected.

I hope I don't see this against Iowa: 15 minutes to go, Gonzaga up by 15, and we start slowly coming up the court to run our slowed down "precision" offense. A slowed down offense that by default, slows our defense down when we need to match our opponents intensity. NO, we need to BEAT our opponenets intensity!!

If we want a Final Four, we have to run and gun for 40 minutes and NEVER let the other team get their offense set, or get their defense set. If Few doesn't change his philosophy in the Dance, we won't EVER make a Final Four. Fatigue and risk of injury be damned. IMO, slow down, work the ball offense is a green light to our opponents that we think we have the game won. EVERY opponent sees this as a weakness and a window of opportunity. It is a weakness.

Props to the Bison, they beat us 46-43 in the 2nd half.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

No excuses. None. Its gonna be a gritty game.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    Amen to that! It seemed like the arena was louder for NDSt than for Gonzaga, and the Bison got hot. Seattle should be our home court! We are an experienced team but just as you said Val, Iowa is good and should be respected.

I hope I don't see this against Iowa: 15 minutes to go, Gonzaga up by 15, and we start slowly coming up the court to run our slowed down "precision" offense. A slowed down offense that by default, slows our defense down when we need to match our opponents intensity. NO, we need to BEAT our opponenets intensity!!

If we want a Final Four, we have to run and gun for 40 minutes and NEVER let the other team get their offense set, or get their defense set. If Few doesn't change his philosophy in the Dance, we won't EVER make a Final Four. Fatigue and risk of injury be damned. IMO, slow down, work the ball offense is a green light to our opponents that we think we have the game won. EVERY opponent sees this as a weakness and a window of opportunity. It is a weakness.

Props to the Bison, they beat us 46-43 in the 2nd half.
    Great points OZN! No question going for the jugular is always a key recipe for tournament success. In the NCAA Tournament there are quite a few variables that go into putting the final touches on wins. Clock/time management is always a very risky proposition especially with teams that have a tendency to struggle from the free throw line after the last TV timeout. Countless times since seriously following college basketball the dilemma you so wisely articulate comes back to haunt a team. Great coaches need to be able to decipher time management issues without blinking. Every second of a game can cost you if mismanaged. That is why coaching is at a premium in tournament play.

Unlike others I am not fretting about our close 10 point win against a feisty bunch of Bison. Historically #1 seeds and other higher seeds struggle early to wake up against the 8/9 seed teams in the second game after coasting in the first game. That is why those games can be very dangerous for the #1 and even #2 seeds in the game with a Sweet16 birth on the line. We have every reason to be razor focused from the tip off against Iowa.

Have a great day OZN. xoxoxo

I'm with Val - I'm not fretting about the win last night. I think they will come out with a lot of intensity against Iowa. I think it will be a lot like the OK St game last year with all the talking heads suddenly in love with Iowa like they were with OK St.

When you run into a gang of clowns, always go for the juggler first! Sorry, thats what came to mind. Would that be the zebras?

Default Has anyone on GUB actually watch Iowa play much?

I see all the usual comments about how Zags need to play aggressively, execute offense, use their experience, etc. I think the team is well-aware of all that and will come to play. In today's The Seattle Times, Bud Withers said that Pangos, Bell, and Wesley each gave impassioned speeches to the team before yesterday's game. He quotes Coach Michaelson as saying that this was a decision by the seniors and wasn't staff-inspired. "We've never done something like that," said Michaelson.

So, assuming the team brings attitude and executes with skill they have, has anyone studied Iowa enough to suggest what concepts might work well against them? For example, would it help us to play more zone in order to contain them inside and to get rebounds? Or, are they too skilled from outside that we need to stay in man? On offense, can we count on repeatedly going inside with Shem, Domas, and Kyle or will their bigs prevent us from using that as our primary concept?

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    I see all the usual comments about how Zags need to play aggressively, execute offense, use their experience, etc. I think the team is well-aware of all that and will come to play. In today's The Seattle Times, Bud Withers said that Pangos, Bell, and Wesley each gave impassioned speeches to the team before yesterday's game. He quotes Coach Michaelson as saying that this was a decision by the seniors and wasn't staff-inspired. "We've never done something like that," said Michaelson.

So, assuming the team brings attitude and executes with skill they have, has anyone studied Iowa enough to suggest what concepts might work well against them? For example, would it help us to play more zone in order to contain them inside and to get rebounds? Or, are they too skilled from outside that we need to stay in man? On offense, can we count on repeatedly going inside with Shem, Domas, and Kyle or will their bigs prevent us from using that as our primary concept?
    Iowa has middle-of the road efficiency stats (kenpom) on the offense/defensive end in comparison to the rest of the field. Gonzaga statistically has the advantage. Only 4 or 5 tournament teams had worse defense than Davidson coming into the tourney. No surprise they got lit up. I think Iowa is a good match-up for us. Compared to Ohio State another 10 seed for instance. We should be able to control dribble drive on the defensive end playing man. Iowa is good enough to beat a large sampling of the tourney field on a true neutral court if everything is clicking to perfection. In other words enough of an uptick from their norm offensively and defensively to compensate for average statistical #'s in relation to the field. We are the protected seed for a reason. This should equate to a home court feel to the game for Gonzaga thus mitigating to a certain degree the "neutral court" label.

I have watched Iowa play the last few years. Jok is athletic but should be neutralized. The Wisky transfer Uthoff has a high ceiling but he shouldn't create match-up issues. White is a PTP'er but not many good BCS teams lack a good go to guy. Losing Marbel (sp) was a big loss from last years Iowa team. The last I knew he was logging a few minutes in the league (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta View Post
    Iowa has middle-of the road efficiency stats (kenpom) on the offense/defensive end in comparison to the rest of the field. Gonzaga statistically has the advantage. Only 4 or 5 tournament teams had worse defense than Davidson coming into the tourney. No surprise they got lit up. I think Iowa is a good match-up for us. Compared to Ohio State another 10 seed for instance. We should be able to control dribble drive on the defensive end playing man. Iowa is good enough to beat a large sampling of the tourney field on a true neutral court if everything is clicking to perfection. In other words enough of an uptick from their norm offensively and defensively to compensate for average statistical #'s in relation to the field. We are the protected seed for a reason. This should equate to a home court feel to the game for Gonzaga thus mitigating to a certain degree the "neutral court" label.

I have watched Iowa play the last few years. Jok is athletic but should be neutralized. The Wisky transfer Uthoff has a high ceiling but he shouldn't create match-up issues. White is a PTP'er but not many good BCS teams lack a good go to guy. Losing Marbel (sp) was a big loss from last years Iowa team. The last I knew he was logging a few minutes in the league (I think).

I don't know that the statistical advantage for Gonzaga is all that great in this case. For example, Iowa is currently touting the #28 offense and #28 defense nationally vs GU's #6 offense but #41 defense. And if we look at our late season trends, things get worse for the Zags.

In the last ten games Iowa has been averaging 1.093 points per possession (roughly as I used numbers from games and did not adjust for variable number of possessions per game because I'm lazy and this is to only demonstrate a point) and giving up only .913 points per possession. A difference of .18 ppp. They did this against teams with an average Pomeroy rating of 97.

GU has scored 1.157 ppp over the last ten games while giving up 0.959. A margin of .198 ppp. This was against teams with an average Pomeroy rating of 139.2 (so worse competition). I'm not sure who the adjusted efficiency numbers would favor but it'd probably be Iowa over the past ten games. Close to a draw when you account for strength of schedule.

Then we can look at the last five games. Iowa is averaging 1.102 ppp and giving up .924. A difference of .178 against opponents averaging a 75 pomeroy rating.

GU is averaging 1.17 ppp and giving up 1.026. A difference of only .144 against worse competition (average Pomeroy rating of 101.6).

One might be tempted to throw out the offensive explosion Iowa had against Davidson. That'd be fair if you threw out the defensive effort we had against USD that is skewing our numbers.

In short, at some point prior to the last ten games we stopped playing defense the way we were earlier in the season and Iowa started playing defense like we were earlier in the season. I'd say, taking that into consideration, Iowa has as many stats on their side (and the more recent ones) than we do.

Did somebody say DOOMED?

Thanx for the thread, Val.

Here's a link to yesterday's Iowa game with Davidson (courtesy of the Iowa board);
    http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-li...FQqoaQodSY0Akw

Here's their roster;
    http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/...askbl-mtt.html

...and stats;
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../iowa-hawkeyes

Great data from mgadfly, thanx. Iowa looks well coached and run a well spaced offense. They didn't foul Davidson, either but that might only be because of the size advantage.

Great matchup for Iowa in length, but ZAGS have more mass.

Push, push, push, 3/4 press (like Iowa will), sharp, crisp (but not hurried) passes, play inside out, trap on D.

Don't get frustrated when they score, just take it at them one play at a time. Don't force (Wiltj!) and Wesley and KD will fill the holes. EMac could have a breakout game if given the minutes (and he should get the minutes).

In fact, everyone should get minutes (including Melson and Nunez) to keep legs fresh and avoid the bad fouls. This may be a game where even the extra number of (and extra long) time-outs need to be supplemented with blows for Pangos. His fresh legs, combined with the experience of the ZAGS, should find him shooting from charity (with Wiltj) to close it out.

Everything but the links is just my opinion, and I'm not a successful D1 coach.

Last year, year before, yesterday..., none of that means squat but in positive preparation for...

...this place, this time, this opportunity!

#letsgobaby

Go ZAGS!

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post

In short, at some point prior to the last ten games we stopped playing defense the way we were earlier in the season and Iowa started playing defense like we were earlier in the season. I'd say, taking that into consideration, Iowa has as many stats on their side (and the more recent ones) than we do.

Did somebody say DOOMED?
    Two counter-points: Iowa is 216th in the nation in FG %, and are not good from the perimeter, which is how you beat Gonzaga most nights. As a team they shoot .333 from the perimeter. No one shoots over 40%. Iowa had one of the easiest schedules down the stretch in the B1G - their schedule was really front-loaded and they kind of got handled by the big dogs, losing to Wisconsin 2x, and Michigan State. They were also losers by double figures to UNI and ISU in non-conference. They beat Ohio State 2x, which is definitely impressive, but OSU is a 10 seed so not as stout as many years. They beat North Carolina. They beat Maryland at home too. The can definitely play, but they are a bi-polar team. My take: If they're off, they're off. If they're on, watch out.

They won 6 in a row before losing to Penn State in the B1G tourney, but none of those teams were ranked, and mostly were the cellar dwellers. Before that stretch they were .500 in conference play.

We'll have to see which team shows up tomorrow. The one that beat OSU 2x, Maryland, and the Tarheels? Or the team that lost to Texas, UNI, ISU, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisky, Michigan State, and Penn State?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DADoZAG)

Great data from mgadfly, thanx. Iowa looks well coached and run a well spaced offense. They didn't foul Davidson, either but that might only be because of the size advantage.

Great matchup for Iowa in length, but ZAGS have more mass.

Push, push, push, 3/4 press (like Iowa will), sharp, crisp (but not hurried) passes, play inside out, trap on D.

Don't get frustrated when they score, just take it at them one play at a time. Don't force (Wiltj!) and Wesley and KD will fill the holes. EMac could have a breakout game if given the minutes (and he should get the minutes).

In fact, everyone should get minutes (including Melson and Nunez) to keep legs fresh and avoid the bad fouls. This may be a game where even the extra number of (and extra long) time-outs need to be supplemented with blows for Pangos. His fresh legs, combined with the experience of the ZAGS, should find him shooting from charity (with Wiltj) to close it out.

Everything but the links is just my opinion, and I'm not a successful D1 coach.

Last year, year before, yesterday..., none of that means squat but in positive preparation for...

...this place, this time, this opportunity!

#letsgobaby

Go ZAGS!
    I strongly agree that everyone should get minutes. I keep thinking about Perkins and how we are missing his attitude as much as his skills. Melson and Nuñez could bring a little fire to the court. We need more energy to be able to play with intensity and that can come from subbing. I understand Sabonis frustration last night. At times he looked like he was playing by himself. Everyone needs to step up on D.

Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post
    Two counter-points: Iowa is 216th in the nation in FG %, and are not good from the perimeter, which is how you beat Gonzaga most nights. As a team they shoot .333 from the perimeter. No one shoots over 40%. Iowa had one of the easiest schedules down the stretch in the B1G - their schedule was really front-loaded and they kind of got handled by the big dogs, losing to Wisconsin 2x, and Michigan State. They were also losers by double figures to UNI and ISU in non-conference. They beat Ohio State 2x, which is definitely impressive, but OSU is a 10 seed so not as stout as many years. They beat North Carolina. They beat Maryland at home too. The can definitely play, but they are a bi-polar team. My take: If they're off, they're off. If they're on, watch out.

They won 6 in a row before losing to Penn State in the B1G tourney, but none of those teams were ranked, and mostly were the cellar dwellers. Before that stretch they were .500 in conference play.

We'll have to see which team shows up tomorrow. The one that beat OSU 2x, Maryland, and the Tarheels? Or the team that lost to Texas, UNI, ISU, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisky, Michigan State, and Penn State?
    Nice post, rennis.

When you break it down, game by game, team by team, none of their 11 losses were "bad".

UNI, Texas, ISU, MSU, Wisconsin all spent time in the Top-20 at some point this season.

Though, none of our losses were necessarily bad either.

ZagaZags put a list of Iowa's losses up last night. There were some clunkers......3 or so as I recall. As I review this upcoming game though, I think Iowa is much undersold and overshadowed by the top four in the Big 10-12. It's worth it to know that they are ( for the first tie this season) bigger than we are. It's a huge team. Mobility for White is much better than we have. He's scores like Wiltjer. Rebounds very well. 3 kids 6-9 and up start. Frontline reserves are 7-1, 6-10. 3 top guards are 6-1 and 6-6.
    They set up the bigs generally.
    The Hawks are not a running team. But they play defense and score decently.

It's a tough match up for GU.
    I do think this will be a close one. If our 3 gurads play as they can, we'll win. If it's a rebound contest, we won't. If the outcome is dependent on Karno's ability to catch a pass, we lose.
    Defense, TO's, rebounding are the big 3 that'll cinch this one was or the other. If I was Few, I'd be running from the beginning. A slow plodding game is what Iowa's good at. We need to put up lots of points early and then control the tempo.
    I hope it works.......I have my doubts. Iowa's in a very very tough league and they've held thir own.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Iowa's in a very very tough conference and they've held their own.
    Totally. I was watching some pre-conference B1G talking heads and some people thought Iowa would come out and challenge Wisconsin for the tournament title. They totally looked past Penn State, but they easily could have been playing last Sunday.

Gonzaga has to approach this game like they approached the game with Arizona - control tempo and try to get points on the board early and often. They just can't fade down the stretch the way they did in Tempe. And throw in a dash of underdog desperation. Play reckless when the flow of the game will allow for it, because we're going to need to stretch them out. Kevin and Gary need to make some 3s in the first half.

This is Karnowski's kind of game. He loves playing against other physical bigs. This thing will be a chess match in the paint. I can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post
    Totally. I was watching some pre-conference B1G talking heads and some people thought Iowa would come out and challenge Wisconsin for the tournament title. They totally looked past Penn State, but they easily could have been playing last Sunday.

Gonzaga has to approach this game like they approached the game with Arizona - control tempo and try to get points on the board early and often. They just can't fade down the stretch the way they did in Tempe. And throw in a dash of underdog desperation. Play reckless when the flow of the game will allow for it, because we're going to need to stretch them out. Kevin and Gary need to make some 3s in the first half.

This is Karnowski's kind of game. He loves playing against other physical bigs. This thing will be a chess match in the paint. I can't wait!
    Very true.

Heard many Big 10 analysts claiming Iowa was the best team in Big 10, not named Wisconsin.

They felt many things didn't seem to go their way, yet believed the Hawkeyes were the 2nd most impressive team this season.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Though, none of our losses were necessarily bad either.

Yes, but it's such a small sample size. I'm positive that if we had 11 losses, some of ours would be equally "not bad."
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.