Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go BYU (Why?)

There is no reason NOT to root for BYU. Every win is a plus for our conference and for Gonzaga. As long as their wins to do not come at our expense or ruin any of our records. I don't want my jaded Zag colored glasses to be fogged up at all.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

49 Cougar points in 1st half. Raining 3s. Hope BYU can keep it up

I wonder if the Ole Miss coaches even watched a Gonzaga - BYU game in putting together this scout. Zone and then going under screens? Was this the plan? Someone should have shown these guys a mixtape of Gary Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by hushpuppy View Post
    I wonder if the Ole Miss coaches even watched a Gonzaga - BYU game in putting together this scout. Zone and then going under screens? Was this the plan? Someone should have shown these guys a mixtape of Gary Bell.
    Gary was spectacular fighting through those screens.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I am trying to think when you wouldn't go over the screen - if a team can't shoot from deep and are looking to drive so you stay home to not allow that?

Wow. This is two different games. First half: BYU. Second half: Ole Miss.

They must have watched it over halftime. 94 - 90 final with Ole Miss winning.

Just watched the last few minutes. I can't believe I missed this game. Did BYU get Jimmered by Moody?

I'm sincerely sorry, BYU fans. What a punch to the gut that second half was. I had you picked to upset Xavier

Completely off-topic, so need to oblige the question, but does either Collinsworth or Hawes make the NBA?

Moody played awesome. However, BYU just can not win when Collinsworth has the kind of game he had. Pretty sad. I believe his knee was hurt again. He could not get anything inside like he usually could. He was 1-4 at the line and missed 3 huge foul shots when they were really needed. And he turned over the ball like I've never seen him do before. Strange.

Haws was simply great. 33 points. He goes out a winner. I wonder who BYU who next now that Jimmer and then Haws have gone. Someone is in the wing I'm sure. Isn't Haws' brother due to come next year?

Anyway it was a good game. BYU lost a lot of close one's this year. Difficult to win when you don't have a low post presence at all. Ol' Miss went inside in the second half just like Gonzaga did. They may have seen film of our game. And don't forget, Ol' Miss was a pretty good team. They lost to Kentucky in overtime, so you can see they have the potential once they get hot the way they did the second half.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Just watched the last few minutes. I can't believe I missed this game. Did BYU get Jimmered by Moody?

I'm sincerely sorry, BYU fans. What a punch to the gut that second half was. I had you picked to upset Xavier

Completely off-topic, so need to oblige the question, but does either Collinsworth or Hawes make the NBA?
    Moody hit some clutch shots late... and BYU couldn't buy a basket early in that second half.

As for the NBA, I can see Collinsworth making it with his ability to pass, rebound and score, but for some reason I don't see Hawes making it. Perhaps Hawes goes into the D league and sits behind Stockton to see how to score at the next level!

that was sad and embarrassing. Way to represent the WCC BYU

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    To many BYU fans the loss is on the WCC for failing to prepare them adequately.

Thanks a lot, WCC.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Could the Zags have been able to defend that second half from Ole Miss? They were just on fire executing in second half. Karno would have had his hands full with their big man.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Condolences, Cougars. Forgive you for denting my brackets. However, will remember that next year, and intensify (if that were possible my Zag support when we play you). Both teams could have used that extra $150k. We'll just have to win an extra game to get it back! See you next year for some great competition.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Could the Zags have been able to defend that second half from Ole Miss? They were just on fire executing in second half. Karno would have had his hands full with their big man.
    I think so. They got a lot of easy dunks/alley-oops that got that run started. I don't think that would have happened against us, particularly because we play defense. Its going to be sad to see Haws leave that way. Great career, wish him the best and BYU the best next year (except against Gonzaga)
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Sonofabiznatch! Ole Miss went out there and went Playground Hoops all over the place, but man, what a bummer! I really wanted BYU to go a couple rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    The second half was magical, scored 52 pts. You make a good point about how many teams might be able to handle that. I think we do, though it would be extremely difficult and they'd get a lot of theirs. But, at some point, I think Few might have gone with a near all defense line-up (except our all defense line up can score), we could go Gary, EMac, Dranginis, Sabonis and Karno - and, when one thinks about it, that's not that bad an offensive line-up. But I truly believe that that line-up shuts down Ole' Miss pretty effectively.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

BYU out rebounded us?

That to me is the most scary thing... seeing as they were absolutely crushed on the glass be a mediocre team at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    BYU out rebounded us?

That to me is the most scary thing... seeing as they were absolutely crushed on the glass be a mediocre team at best.
    They had a healthy Collinsworth against us, the guy with the double digit rbs?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Kafusi was their top rebounder against us. Collinsworth had 8. (He had 6 vs. Ole Miss)

And! Even if you take Collinsworth out of the lineup against us BYU beats us in Offensive rebounds last game 11-7.

Meanwhile Miss had 10 more Offensive rebounds than BYU last night.

It's a scary proposition.

BYU lost because of their TO's, plain and simple. The point differential on TO's was 25-0, game over.

If they take care of the ball even reasonably well, they win by 10.

Go ZAGS

It was an entertaining game. Too bad Collinsworth had some knee problems. Hope he's okay.

For those worried about their brackets, you can still change them. If you had BYU beating Xavier but think Ole Miss would have more trouble, change it now, or forever hold your piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    I only saw the 2nd half, but even so I wouldn't call BYU's play as sad and embarrassing.....it was one of the most entertaining games of the year imho. What an offensive display BYU put on in the first half; everyone knows a team with no inside scoring presence and lots of jump shots is gonna live and die by their outside shooting alone. Something seemed wrong with Collinsworth...despite his sweet alley-oop dunk in traffic, he did not seem 100% healthy.

Go Zags!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Unhappy Feelin' Blue (BYU blue)

Really feel badly about BYU's game. Had they been able to be merely average hitting treys in the second half, they would've won. Prior to them joining the WCC, this fan could not stand BYU. Now seeing them on TV in and out of conference, Kiddwell gets acquainted with certain players, starts to admire their grit and skill, and starts pulling for them. So it's a tough pill to swallow seeing Haws and Collinsworth's sad faces last night.

BYU has signed some really, really good players of late, but they're off on missions. Once those talented (and then mature) players return, watch out. BYU will be Top-25 every year for a while. Good, as that'll make GU tougher. Metal sharpening metal. Now, if Pepperdine continues to mature/recruit, and if they hurry up and build their new arena, that'd be a third potential "goodie" in conference. (Kiddwell suspects, isn't gloating, but suspecting that Saint Mary's is in decline). The WCC, I am absolutely convinced, should be putting three teams in The Dance every year.

Back to BYU: Really sad they lost. Methinks they had a real chance against Xavier.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

In terms of the NCAA Tournament, this was a great, great game to begin this GREAT tournament in 2015. All of the commentators loved the game and so did I. Both teams showed such great offensive skill, and in the end I believe that Ol' Miss had better defense as it was their steals that separated them from BYU. And BYU missed some critical free throws. However, in no way is BYU an embarrassment to anyone or any conference. Can you imagine making 15 three pointers. Fisher and Haws were absolutely awesome. I loved that game, and the committee showed their brilliance in having this game to begin the NCAA tournament this year.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!