Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go BYU (Why?)

Default Go BYU (Why?)

I still have a hard time with it - but think of it this way, as was mentioned yesterday, each win comes with $1.5 million. They play Ole' Miss which sure isn't a warm fuzzy school tough to hate, second - do we want that $1.5 going to the WCC? Or the SEC?

Given that reality:

Go BYU
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I hate BYU in conference play. I root for them in the non conference and postseason so that I can hate them again next year.

What is a year in which you have no teams to hate?

Boredom.

Go BYU
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I have no problem rooting for BYU at all. I really like their team, and they're from the same conference as our Zags. I have a certain pride in our conference and always hope that all WCC teams play well when they go to the Big Dance. I certainly really like Collinsworth. He's one of my favorite college players. I think a lot of people are going to be shocked when they see how good he is, and Tyler Haws too. BYU played well last year without Collinsworth. They will be so much better this year.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I pull for Haws and Collinsworth and I think Dave Rose is a class act. . .

FWIW, I think they could knock off # 6 Xavier is they bring their B+ / A - game.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Can't stand them in conference, but do root for them in the Big Dance. Although they are physical, they just always seem to lack the size and height to compete well in the tournament... Hope they get hot from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I pull for Haws and Collinsworth and I think Dave Rose is a class act. . .

FWIW, I think they could knock off # 6 Xavier is they bring their B+ / A - game.
    I think that's right, and I was pleasantly surprised at how many "experts" agreed with that, b/c I guess they were watching the WCC championship, and we still crushed them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I still have a hard time with it - but think of it this way, as was mentioned yesterday, each win comes with $1.5 million. They play Ole' Miss which sure isn't a warm fuzzy school tough to hate, second - do we want that $1.5 going to the WCC? Or the SEC?

Given that reality:

Go BYU

As a cougar fan, thanks for the vote. Although I don't blame you for having a hard time with it. That said, I hope the resentment is competition based only, and not because the team or fan-base has turned you off in some way... Those I know have nothing but the highest regard for GU, it's team, and it's coach.

Go deep Zags!

Thanks reborn!

You want the WCC to be better, EVEN IF they beat Gonzaga as they get better over the next X number of years. Big picture thinking for the win!
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Default Rooting for BYU in tourney

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I have no problem rooting for BYU at all. I really like their team, and they're from the same conference as our Zags. I have a certain pride in our conference and always hope that all WCC teams play well when they go to the Big Dance. I certainly really like Collinsworth. He's one of my favorite college players. I think a lot of people are going to be shocked when they see how good he is, and Tyler Haws too. BYU played well last year without Collinsworth. They will be so much better this year.
    Reborn nailed it. I think/hope most Zags feel the same way. Even if you have an issue with their physical style of play against GU, there is every reason to want them to be successful in tourney.

How is their injury situation? Halford recovered? What about the player (I think he was their third leading scorer) who was too injured to play in WCC conference championship?

BYU fan here Zag365, nice post.

Word is that Halford is fine. Winder (3rd leading scorer) is supposedly "iffy", which hurts more defensively actually, as he was really our only decent perimeter defender. Hopefully he can get some quality minutes; we'll see.

This is a tough one for me, because I've been mistreated every year I have attended the Gonzaga game at BYU. This past year included a heckler bothering my children.

With that said, the players aren't responsible for the awful behavior of their fans. I'm rooting for them to beat Ole Miss and probably Xavier, but it is a bit reluctant.

Sorry former1dog, that's unfortunate, and certainly not appropriate. Wish there was a way to point these knuckleheads out to us; it hurts the perception of the fan-base for sure.

Definitely go BYU! Even if they weren't in our conference, I'd root for them. I love their style of play. With all of the San Diego State, Virginia, Georgia State games, BYU's uptempo style is a breath of fresh air. Plus KC is a stud.
    I have zero affiliation with the school otherwise. It's all about basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by WCCougar View Post
    Sorry former1dog, that's unfortunate, and certainly not appropriate. Wish there was a way to point these knuckleheads out to us; it hurts the perception of the fan-base for sure.
    You sound like a good person. Thanks.

I will note that I sat next to a BYU fan and his two sons at the WCC tourney in Vegas. He was a very nice man and had a solid understanding of the game.

Default Nate Austin

Any updates in him???? I can't remember what happened to him--he could help big time in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    This is a tough one for me, because I've been mistreated every year I have attended the Gonzaga game at BYU. This past year included a heckler bothering my children.

With that said, the players aren't responsible for the awful behavior of their fans. I'm rooting for them to beat Ole Miss and probably Xavier, but it is a bit reluctant.
    As a Gonzaga fan who attended BYU, I second your remarks RE: poor behavior of their fans. A lot of the comments about them are substantiated and, sadly, well deserved. Of course they aren't all like that (many of their posters on this board are quite cordial and respectful, and I have many BYU friends who are the same as well), but I do get embarrassed with how many bad eggs there actually are throughout their fan base, particularly since it's an institution that strives for high values.

However, BYU is my second favorite team and I'll be cheering for them 100%. I also do the same for all other WCC teams outside of conference play and during the post season. I never quite understood how anybody and can cheer against a conference foe. I always want our conference to get better!

With BYU's legions of fans, the small segment that are Billy Buttfaces are simply more apparent. Certainly not on the school or program, as stated several times above.

Represent the WCC like we know you can, Cougars. Respect.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I root for all WCC teams unless we're playing them. In the Dance I'm rooting for EWU too! I'd even root for UW if they ever make the Dance!
    PS - I'm a grad of 3 locals: WSU, EWU & GU - so, saying I'd root for UW is a stretch! Guess I just plain like Washington (the State) too much!
    So, Go BYU!, Go Eastern!, and Go Zags!

Go BYU!

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    You want the WCC to be better, EVEN IF they beat Gonzaga as they get better over the next X number of years. Big picture thinking for the win!
    I've said this off and on since our "cute little run" gained steam ....

I would MUCH rather have 3 or 4 conference losses ... and even finish 2nd (or 3rd) in league if it meant going on a deep run in the NCAA tournament. To me, that's the way I think "Big picture thinking for the win!"

While I take nothing for granted and cherish every win ... I "cherish" NCAA tourney wins far greater than late January wins against Portland or LMU.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I think tonight's game will be an interesting game. Ole Miss lost by 3 to UK....89-86. I would not be surprised if the SEC is a bit underrated and the Big 12 Overrated. Anywho....hope BYU puts a clinic on against them...GO Cougars.

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    Any updates in him???? I can't remember what happened to him--he could help big time in the middle
    Great point realtydog; unfortunately for us he's out for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    Nate Austin tore his achilles in the first 45 seconds of the Utah game, which IMO is the reason Utah won that game and has been out since...he is a Med-Red-Shirt and understand he will be back next season...BYU is going to be deep at the post next season...this year it was by committee next year their two returning freshman Kaufusi and Neilson will be much more skilled...then of course they have Luke Worthington, who is not skilled but worth four more fouls...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Nate Austin tore his achilles in the first 45 seconds of the Utah game, which IMO is the reason Utah won that game and has been out since...he is a Med-Red-Shirt and understand he will be back next season...BYU is going to be deep at the post next season...this year it was by committee next year their two returning freshman Kaufusi and Neilson will be much more skilled...then of course they have Luke Worthington, who is not skilled but worth four more fouls...
    Is it just me (a cougar fan), or has Worthington actually gotten worse and worse? Maybe big men aren't our issue, it's helping them learn to improve..