Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Jenks?

Default With Jenks?

Lots of hours to fill so let's conjecture. Where would the Zags be now if they had a healthy Jenks all year? Undefeated? A solid #2? Or about the same place? Have fun.

I've thought about that question for months. It hurts my head.

Undefeated? Maybe. Better off? No doubt. Pangos would be playing a few less minutes a game and have a greater impact in those minutes, not to mention what Perkins would have brought to the table.

Well lets see

Undefeated: Do not think so. The Arizona game he could have helped and possibly with giving Pango some rest, allowed pango to have the legs to finish in overtime. But the BYU game, unless he suddenly grew overnight and was able to defend collinsworth and rebound, we still lose.

Solid 2----ummmmm we are a SOLID 2

Unknown: if the board would be in meltdown with anticipation for next year (he is good and will be fun to watch)
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I meant #2 in the polls.

I don't think we would have lost to AZ. Pangos was clearly gassed at the end of that game and McC took it to him. Who knows after that game, but a good chance we could be undefeated.
    Go Zags!!!

#1 in the country w/ a record of 45-0. Avg margin of victory of 31ppg.

(or maybe just a tad better - enough to be locked into the West bracket as a #1 or #2, but most everything else the same.)
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Undefeated. The problem at Arizona: Pangos was gassed and couldn't stop McConnell. Perkins solves the first problem, and maybe solves the second, too. The problem at BYU wasn't defense on Collinsworth; after all, Collinwsorth went off last night, too, and even scored 8 more points than at the Kennl. The problem in that game was lack of offensive flow. I think Perkins is worth at least four points in that game, too.

If he or his friends do not call him Jenks, I think it is disrespectful for this board to do so. We hopefully have 4 years to root for him let's give him the respect of getting his name right.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    If he or his friends do not call him Jenks, I think it is disrespectful for this board to do so. We hopefully have 4 years to root for him let's give him the respect of getting his name right.
    By now, I am sure they do.

Jazz if you find out that is actually true please let us know or else I stand by my statement. I believe mdabe in his haste to give a summer update on all the new players first posted it but to my knowledge it was an error so please once again respect the young man and use his name.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 03-11-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Jazz if you find out that is actually true please let us know or else I stand by my statement. I believe mdabe in his haste first posted it but to my knowledge it was an error so please once again respect the young man and use his name.
    Yes Abe either coined it or mistyped it. And it's been Jenks or Josh or Perks or .... since. I see no harm, it's felicitous. If we learn he dislikes it, of course we would all cease using it. I can't imagine why he would. The Bonus, that bother you as well? Now that one was mine.

I disagree hat calling Perkins "Jenks" is disrespectful. It makes me smile to remember a poster's strange error in calling him by the wrong name, and it's just an inside joke to keep it going. Long live Jenks!

I thought we had decided we liked it because it was a code that other teams might have trouble deciphering when referring to said freshmen.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    I disagree hat calling Perkins "Jenks" is disrespectful. It makes me smile to remember a poster's strange error in calling him by the wrong name, and it's just an inside joke to keep it going. Long live Jenks!
    Exactly. I think it's a funny inside joke. Unless we find out that he's actually upset by it, I say stick with it.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Lots of hours to fill so let's conjecture. Where would the Zags be now if they had a healthy Jenks all year? Undefeated? A solid #2? Or about the same place? Have fun.
    They beat Arizona and don't lose to BYU, so I'm guessing #2 in polls and #1 seed in West. Perkins had gained Few's trust which McClellan, Melson and even KD to a certain extent, have not achieved. It's great to have EM allowing Pangos to play off the ball, but Pangos would function better with a short rest in each half, IMHO. Perkins was also an offensive threat that may have gotten hot against BYU, thereby solving our lack of point production. Few seems to be reluctant at times to replace players who are not shooting well. We have plenty of firepower. Keep subbing until someone gets hot.

It's interesting to consider.

First, just to note, it was cruel to Jenks, and us, that the injury seemed horrible, but not horrible like a year-long devastating medical redshirt, akin to an ACL or Achillies, though I suspect it is good b/c there is little doubt he will heal without susceptibility to re-injury like an ACL. But, we sure didn't predict "out a year" at the time. Probably a good thing, we were mad enough at Gaines and the refs who failed to note the either reckless or intentional kick of a shin to the head as "odd" and not a normal "foul."

Impossible to know but I think we hang on to win at AZ. Pangos was just so gassed that he gave up a few turnovers at critical times that were "Unpangos" like. BYU? The issue there was just the whole team being outworked, if challenged to throw the ball and hit the ground, they'd miss, and the fact that BYU was pretty hot. I just don't think there is much that could have been done with that one. But, going into the game undefeated and some good wins, we'd be two and stay at 2 with a one seed.

That's my call.

And, I will never, ever, believe that Gaines shin to the head wasn't intentional. Never. It's also the one time that I wish Few's head would explode and get kicked out of the game embarrassing the refs.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Remember this: Whether Jenks played the full season or not.....we're only 6 pts from 34-0 and an unquestioned no 1 seed. I like that. A game of inches this basketball is.

With Jenks, we...

Win the WCC regular season title;

Win the WCC tourney;

Win 30+ games;

Enter Selection Sunday with a Top 10 RPI...

no Doubt in my mind that jenks is worth at least 4 points in each of those games. We would be undisputed #2 behind Kentucky, undisputed 1 seed in west.

Like many others, I say we beat AZ if Perkins plays. Pangos had no legs left by the end of that game. Another ball handler would have been huge. In fact, I don't it makes it to OT. Not sure how he impacts the BYU game. That game was more an attitude than it was anything else. The whole team (and coaches) were flat. We only scored 70 pts, at home, on a team that can't spell defense let alone play it - the same team we just hung 91 on and on a neutral court. I do know that I would have liked to seen what it would have been like with him for this full season.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    And, I will never, ever, believe that Gaines shin to the head wasn't intentional. Never. It's also the one time that I wish Few's head would explode and get kicked out of the game embarrassing the refs.
    You've expressed this quite often. I'm sorry you feel this way. I personally don't think it was his intent to kick him. I think he tried to hustle and lost control. Very amateur play. I don't think he went from thinking that he'd try to block the shot to realizing he was going to fly into Perkins to kicking him. I understand how you'd view it that way, but you have to let things go sometimes. Karma takes care of things quite often if he did maliciously kick him.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    You've expressed this quite often. I'm sorry you feel this way. I personally don't think it was his intent to kick him. I think he tried to hustle and lost control. Very amateur play. I don't think he went from thinking that he'd try to block the shot to realizing he was going to fly into Perkins to kicking him. I understand how you'd view it that way, but you have to let things go sometimes. Karma takes care of things quite often if he did maliciously kick him.
    Let me know if you've ever seen a similar, reckless play.

There was no attempt to block the shot. None. Zero.

It wasn't a basketball play. At all.

Even if the intent was to fly by Jenks, to distract him, it wasn't a basketball play.

Even if the intent wasn't to kick, or injure Jenks ... it WAS flagrant (according to the rules).

That is wasn't called a flagrant is a travesty. Plain and simple.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Remember this: Whether Jenks played the full season or not.....we're only 6 pts from 34-0 and an unquestioned no 1 seed. I like that. A game of inches this basketball is.
    Abe, not sure we'd be undefeated. There was an obvious strain as the winning streak grew, and the media attention that goes with it. There would be daily news stories comparing Kentucky and GU as the remaining undefeateds. BYU burst the bubble, and we saw the results in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

Even if the intent was to fly by Jenks, to distract him, it wasn't a basketball play.

Even if the intent wasn't to kick, or injure Jenks ... it WAS flagrant (according to the rules).

IIRC, it's been reported that Gaines has a history of dirty play.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

Can you cannot just be content that the refs possibly made an error in judgement? It is not like that call had any effect on that game and it is highly unlikely that an official designation of "flagrant" to that foul would have inspired the team to "win one for Perkins" at Zona or vs BYU.
    I am working on being a more all around square.