Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An open letter of thanks to all members of the GU Community

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Mrs. Wesley,

First; Once a Zag, always a Zag, no matter if it is for four years, or one.

Second: Mods, move this to the Hall of Fame, immediately, do not pass go, although, collect 200 internet points if you want.

Quick story that will warm your heart;

Your son was interviewed by the local sports station just before the season. I had never seen him play - couldn't pick him out of a line-up. But, when I heard what he had to say, I knew he was going to be a "Zag" in every definition of the word. I made a comment on here that what I heard was "A combination of funny, fun, cool perspective and a wonderful friend of the team, paired with a guy that wanted to win, doing whatever is asked, and be a leader to those wins. I declared him at the time to be so obviously "a Senior" in his maturity and that he would lead as if he'd been here 5 years. His attitude and approach was just too dialed in to not do so.

Thank you for your son, you've shared him with us and going forward all of us will consider him our son, too. I dearly hope that, like so many players from the past, that he will continue to come back in the summers (or live here. ) and help the younger players, and strengthen the Zag family bond. No doubt, he will always be welcome/wanted.

Now, let's go win - that's what he wants.
    Absolutely!!!!!!! This !!!! Hall of Fame! Thanks for posting this Dixie! Absolutely incredible. I am sincerely going to miss Bwes
    20 Straight Big Dances

10 Straight Round of 32s

9 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Thank you for sharing you're son with us. I just wish we could have had him for 4 years. Did anyone ever tell ya you're son looks like a young Karl Malone? Thanks again....James

Thank you Mrs. Wesley for such a kind note. Byron quickly became one of my favorite Zags after seeing him play the first time in the Kennel. We took a friend to a game over Christmas break who had never been before and she asked who my favorite was and I told her I love them all for different reasons but my favorite is Byron Wesley number 22.
    He is such a solid, unselfish and calming player. The interviews I have seen of him show what a quality young man you have raised. So thankful to have had him this year. I only wish we could have him a couple of more. I can't wait for Vegas and beyond. Perhaps we will see you in Vegas but regardless, thank you and GO ZAGS!

Dear Chantal:

Truly, truly, my favorite post ever. Thank you.

This has been my favorite season ever. I firmly believe that the one person who truly made that possible was Byron. He was the missing element in taking this team to a new level. His one year will echo for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Thank you Mrs. "Wes".

Your son is a fine player but based on my observations an even better young man. And for that you & your husband are to be congratulated.

Enjoy the rest of the ride!!
    And just to add, does he have any buddies in SoCal to take his place next year?
    "but I did not shoot the deputy...."

I'm just an old retired CYO Coach who has loved basketball for much longer than I will ever admit to?, and a HUGE Zag Fan. From his actions both on and off the Court, it is apparent your Son is a Class Act. Your Message touched my heart. LIve Long, and Prosper!
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Mrs. Wesley, my son is a ball boy for the Zags. He speaks of your son with great reverence. I appreciate so much that he is such a great young man. Not to mention a tremendous basketball player. I don't know that my son will ever play hoops in the big time, but if he did I would love for him to emulate your son! Thanks for your great words. You have so much to be proud of!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac5360 View Post
    Mrs. Wesley, my son is a ball boy for the Zags. He speaks of your son with great reverence. I appreciate so much that he is such a great young man. Not to mention a tremendous basketball player. I don't know that my son will ever play hoops in the big time, but if he did I would love for him to emulate your son! Thanks for your great words. You have so much to be proud of!!
    It's so nice of you to join in on the thread, Coach Few, not a lot of coaches would do that......

Kidding Tmac, good job giving that tidbit.

Oh, and "UCLA grad" with a son went to "USC"? Must have been one intense discussion his senior year of HS.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default You are part of our family now

You are very gracious, Chantal. I hope your family and Byron feel like you will forever be part of the Zag Family.

wow......puts things in perspective...

Dear Mrs Wesley,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice open letter. It is so representative as to what is special about your son, this year's team and the GU program.

As the parent of two sons attending college back east, I have some understanding of how difficult it is for parents to let their children pursue their dreams when it means they will be far from home. So thank you and your husband for sharing Byron with us this season. It has been an absolute pleasure watching him play and to hear him interviewed. He exemplifies the best combination of leadership, selflessness, character and talent through his hard work.

I am so very happy for Byron, and for his other teammates who will soon experience the NCAA tournament for the first time. They all have worked so very hard and what they have accomplished to date this season is so very special. As you indicated, there is still much more to come, and I believe, the best is yet to come.

All the best to you and your family. PNW Zagfan

Awesome. This is why people should think before they post. This was a treat to open and see. Thx
    Love the zags for life

Thank you Chantal
    I kept skipping over this thread till now, but saw the five stars and decided to see what the fuss was all about.
    I am so glad I did, I have to admit I am a bit choked up right now,
    and so glad your family is part of zag family.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Thank you Chantal
    I kept skipping over this thread till now, but saw the five stars and decided to see what the fuss was all about.
    I am so glad I did, I have to admit I am a bit choked up right now,
    and so glad your family is part of zag family.
    Another reason why I'm grateful to Byron's mom for her letter is because this whole thread is like when guests come over for dinner and the kids are on their best behavior. Makes you feel proud :-)
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Just awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Chantal:

What a wonderfully warm and classy post! But I would expect no less from the woman who raised Byron - he is clearly a quality young man. It has been obvious that he brought maturity and leadership to our program in addition to outstanding skills. i hope to get a chance to meet you in Las Vegas. I think you will enjoy how well the Zag community "travels."

Thank you to you and your entire family for sharing Byron with us. All of you are now Zags for life and we are glad you are!

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Another reason why I'm grateful to Byron's mom for her letter is because this whole thread is like when guests come over for dinner and the kids are on their best behavior. Makes you feel proud :-)
    There is such a special charm knowing how connected Chantal is to the greatest basketball community in the universe. Chantal is a gift to be cherished and appreciated. She is our guiding light and bright ray of hope as we head towards basketball's Promised Land in INDY. It would be great to play through Staples Center. I can envision Byron and Chantal embracing as Mark Few climbs the ladder to cut down the nets after the Regional Final. Tears of joy for Gonzaga fans !

No matter what though it is the power of having loving and committed parents that can make the world a better place. Byron and Chantal are blessed.

Wishing "Wes is the Best", Chantal and ALL of ZagNation the best of health life has to offer. Count your blessings.

Byron Wesley has been everything I hoped he could be and more. He is the missing link that put this team over the top. I look forward to him hitting some key shots and grabbing some important rebounds in the NCAA tournament.
    Bring back the OCC

Thank you Chantal for posting! Byron has been one of my favorite players this year - always seems so composed, and when needed, aggressive on the court. I definitely wish he could spend a few more years with us - a quintessential Zag. It was great to hear him at Senior Night say that this was the best year of his life - Here's hoping he has a long ride to go here and finishes the season where no Zag team has finished before!

we thank you, as we, coaches and university and fans, want young men of good character, those who will represent us well, those who like you, we can take pride in. we get all that with byron.

hope to see you in vegas

I'm not sure how I missed this thread/note! Outstanding post! Byron deserves a lot of credit also for being willing to sacrifice points and playing time to fit into the Zags plan. I have been extremely impressed with his attitude and demeanor. Great asset for the GU community and one who'll represent the University well! I, as a fan, couldn't be happier.

Thanks for posting! We've had a couple other parents post in the past and it's a treat to read each one.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Dear Mrs. Wesley,

Thank you for your open letter. You, alongside every GU parent, have sent your very best to us: your son. The least we can do is appreciate that fact, that you have put your heart and faith in a place you weren't familiar with. It is a blessing And I am so pleased that this blessing has worked out for you as well as it has for GU. We are lucky to have Byron, not only as an excellent ball player, but more importantly as a member of this community. And we are lucky to have you, as well.

Thank you, again, for your words, and for sending us Byron, who we know that you hold precious and dear. He will always be a Zag, and that means a great deal to all of us in this community.

Great letter! Thank you!

Mrs. Wesley, thanks so much for the gift of your letter and even more for the gift of your son. I got kind of teary when I read that Byron said this has been the best year of his life. Classy guy and a great player!

It's mid-April now and I am just seeing this thread somehow. I'm a regular but somehow missed it. Better late than never though!

I had on my signature "Bow to Sir Byron" all season long. Why, because of everything all these Zag family have expressed about him as well as my own perspective. Truthfully I was giddy when I learned he was coming to Gonzaga. I knew of him at USC and felt like a kid who just got the keys to the candy store. He lived up the hype in every way and more. He was my favorite player this year because of the way he carries himself. Now I know why he does mom. Good job!

Nothing wrong with an elite 8 and only losing in the tourney to the eventual championship team. Byron is a huge part of why we got there. Keep us posted on where our man goes and what he does. Thanks for loaning him to us
    We will miss him greatly.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!