Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An open letter of thanks to all members of the GU Community

Byron has played like a man on a mission the past few games when many others seem to be sleepwalking. Hopefully, he can convince some of his under-performing teammates to play as hard as him, so they go further in the tournament. He has been such a big part of GU's success this year.

He of all the players knows that they can't take this opportunity lightly, because for some it only comes once. Carpe diem.

We should be thanking you. You gave us, albeit only for one year, a great kid. You did a great job raising him and he will forever be a Zag. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Ms. Wesley,

Thank you to your family for sharing Byron with Zagnation for one season. He's not only a HUGE reason for the success of this year's team but obviously a fantastic person.

Once a Zag . . . always a Zag Wesley Family!

Go Zags!!!!

BoZarth

Beautifully expressed, and something Byron can keep too!

Thank you so much for the kind message. It has been an absolute delight having Byron Wesley join GU this year, and he has been an exemplary Zag throughout the season. It's a great testament to him (and his family) that he has so easily melded with this group and has so willingly sacrificied his own numbers for the sake of the team. Mature, talented, and unselfish...what a great young man.

Happy Mothers Day, Chantal. Surely not your first or last. Both you and Wesley have much to be proud of. As for us, thanks for sharing with us your one shining moment.

Watching Byron play this year has been special. He has done things on the floor that we haven't seen at his position in a long time. And by all accounts he's also a leader and valued member of the community off the court. I think it's safe to say that all of us, as fans of the program, feel very fortunate and thankful he chose to spend his year as a Gonzaga Bulldog.

Thank you, Wesley family!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Chantal, you are like the crocuses pushing up through the snow today! Thank you for your lovely words to us.

Of course we can't say enough about Byron's wonderful year with Zags. His terrific character, maturity, heads up play and basketball wisdom have made us proud from day one.
    Last edited by Mantua; 03-03-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Thank you Mrs. Chantal for sharing your son with us! The Zags as a team and GU Nation as a whole have benefited from his decision to be an integral part of this team. HOF Post.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Thank you and family for raising a great young man!

Hall of Fame post!!!
    Go Zags!!!

One major criticism of wesley: he didn't transfer to GU sooner. Definitely could have used him the last two years. He is terrific with pangos and bell.

Your son has been a tremendous addition to the Gonzaga team this year. I have enjoyed watching him play and agree with other posters that I wish we would have had him longer. I am looking forward to watching a deep run in March and so glad he will get to experience it. I am also glad he was here for the warmest winter we have had!

Thank you Mrs. "Wes".

Your son is a fine player but based on my observations an even better young man. And for that you & your husband are to be congratulated.

Enjoy the rest of the ride!!
    GU Boards, where men (?) talk about their underwear.

Thank you Thank you and Thank you Mrs. Wesley. I rarely ever post on this board but am a frequent visitor. This is by far the best post I have ever seen. It has been an absolute pleasure watching Byron play even if that means stay up to 1:30 A.M. often. I wish him the greatest success after basketball! Here is to a fun and long run in the NCAA tourney! Go Zags!!

How very classy ....and thoughtful ....it is a very compelling story and I will very much enjoy Byron going to the Dance.

Like the song says...." If you get a chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance...".....Thanks Byron..

Quote Originally Posted by cwes22 View Post
    As I sit here and reflect on the record and results of this regular season, I find myself filled with a sort of contentment that only a mother can have. When my son decided to transfer from USC, the fear of the unknown was real and the foreseeable future cloudy. Soo many questions came as to where would Byron go, would he fit in, would he be accepted and embraced by both the fans and current players and would he be able to modify his game to truly help his teammates win. The answer to all of those questions was a resounding YES!!! Not only did he seamlessly transition into the program, but he did so with the acceptance of everyone involved. And for that, from the bottom of my heart, I THANK ALL OF YOU for the love and support that Byron has received during his time at GU. I was lucky enough to get to the Kennel 3 times this season and I must say, that experience alone was Phenomenal!! (Being a UCLA Grad, and attending games there cannot hold a candle to attending games at GU). On the road, in the mall, in hotel lobbies, in airports, at away games, the fans that I met were extremely knowledgeable and the support was incredible!! I found myself reading this message board since the day Byron decided to invite Coach Few & Coach Daniels to our home. The enthusiasm at the prospect of Byron attending was awesome and throughout the season, the support, comments (both positive and negative), have been fun to read. I even sent some of the comments made after the Arizona game to Byron just because they were soo encouraging and supportive.

So I guess I am saying all of this to say, THANK YOU Gonzaga University, GU Fans, GU Alumni & GU Students for embracing Byron, for making him feel at home and for accepting him as one of your own. He said that this has been "the best year of his life," and I for one agree 10000000%

Now I know that there is a WHOLE lot of basketball yet to be played because this incredible ride isn't finished yet but I just wanted to send out my thanks before the real fun begins!!

Chantal Wesley
    This letter gave me the chills....as a Gonzaga alumn, father of a Div1 athlete, and as a complete and utter Zag basketball honk. I personnally feel both honored and humbled that Byron Wesley (and his family) chose Gonzaga. Thank you!

Go Zags!

Transfers can be hit or miss, but I can honestly say my only regret - one that's been expressed by my Zag friends as well - is that Byron was only here for one year.

That said, as far as I'm concerned, he's a Zag, and always will be a Zag.

Default Amazing Mm

Byron is a testimonial to an amazingly gracious woman. He is lucky to have her for a mom (and Sili knows moms given from his Profession). The Zags were lucky to have his leadership and inspirational play, even if it was only for a year, and GU is lucky to have such devoted fans. Byron brought a dimension to the team that it lacked, but more than his athletic slashing style, he brought passion and determination that hopefully can help ignite this team and eventually overcome their recent regretable lethargy. Mrs. Wesley, thank you for your beautiful letter. It touched all Zag hearts that read it and helps remind us of what is unique and special about our alma mater and why your son will remain part of this legacy forever.

Sili

Mrs. Wesley,

First; Once a Zag, always a Zag, no matter if it is for four years, or one.

Second: Mods, move this to the Hall of Fame, immediately, do not pass go, although, collect 200 internet points if you want.

Quick story that will warm your heart;

Your son was interviewed by the local sports station just before the season. I had never seen him play - couldn't pick him out of a line-up. But, when I heard what he had to say, I knew he was going to be a "Zag" in every definition of the word. I made a comment on here that what I heard was "A combination of funny, fun, cool perspective and a wonderful friend of the team, paired with a guy that wanted to win, doing whatever is asked, and be a leader to those wins. I declared him at the time to be so obviously "a Senior" in his maturity and that he would lead as if he'd been here 5 years. His attitude and approach was just too dialed in to not do so.

Thank you for your son, you've shared him with us and going forward all of us will consider him our son, too. I dearly hope that, like so many players from the past, that he will continue to come back in the summers (or live here. ) and help the younger players, and strengthen the Zag family bond. No doubt, he will always be welcome/wanted.

Now, let's go win - that's what he wants.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Very nice, Mama Wes!

Let's make sure they all get more than a few more games to play.

Go Zags.

What a great post! Your son's been a man out there all year, a blast to cheer for. To you Chantal

BTW: Hearing that he considers this "the best year of his life" is just so wonderful b/c his hard work and sweet nature sure deserves to be rewarded with him truly enjoying the experience.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

She has some moxy! I like her confidence about the BIG DANCE! Basketball moms are so special. Yep they are...

As Coach Few refers to Byron as BWes, I am going to take the liberty to think of you MsWes.

I can not match the gratitude expressed here by my fellow board members even though I wish I could.

I notice you said you began reading this forum once Byron decided to become a Zag. I want to point out something you would most likely need to look back a few years to realize. That would be how many times newcomers to the Zags basketball team lag in efficiency for awhile because it takes a bit for so many newcomers get up to speed with the Zag offensive system. I do not recall a single comment that came close to that idea with Byron. He was on board and up to speed from the first day he saw daylight as a Zag.

That shows he is a very quick study of the game of basketball. It also shows he was completely invested from the beginning. As Zag fans we are all very lucky to bask in the results of this basketball season and it would not have been anywhere the same show without Byron.

Thank you all the way around MsWes!

GoZags!!!
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

What a great post...totally made my day reading that. So glad bwes chose gu!