• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwes22
    Redshirt
    • Nov 2014

An open letter of thanks to all members of the GU Community

As I sit here and reflect on the record and results of this regular season, I find myself filled with a sort of contentment that only a mother can have. When my son decided to transfer from USC, the fear of the unknown was real and the foreseeable future cloudy. Soo many questions came as to where would Byron go, would he fit in, would he be accepted and embraced by both the fans and current players and would he be able to modify his game to truly help his teammates win. The answer to all of those questions was a resounding YES!!! Not only did he seamlessly transition into the program, but he did so with the acceptance of everyone involved. And for that, from the bottom of my heart, I THANK ALL OF YOU for the love and support that Byron has received during his time at GU. I was lucky enough to get to the Kennel 3 times this season and I must say, that experience alone was Phenomenal!! (Being a UCLA Grad, and attending games there cannot hold a candle to attending games at GU). On the road, in the mall, in hotel lobbies, in airports, at away games, the fans that I met were extremely knowledgeable and the support was incredible!! I found myself reading this message board since the day Byron decided to invite Coach Few & Coach Daniels to our home. The enthusiasm at the prospect of Byron attending was awesome and throughout the season, the support, comments (both positive and negative), have been fun to read. I even sent some of the comments made after the Arizona game to Byron just because they were soo encouraging and supportive.

So I guess I am saying all of this to say, THANK YOU Gonzaga University, GU Fans, GU Alumni & GU Students for embracing Byron, for making him feel at home and for accepting him as one of your own. He said that this has been "the best year of his life," and I for one agree 10000000%

Now I know that there is a WHOLE lot of basketball yet to be played because this incredible ride isn't finished yet but I just wanted to send out my thanks before the real fun begins!!

Chantal Wesley
  • titopoet
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by cwes22 View Post
    As I sit here and reflect on the record and results of this regular season, I find myself filled with a sort of contentment that only a mother can have. When my son decided to transfer from USC, the fear of the unknown was real and the foreseeable future cloudy. Soo many questions came as to where would Byron go, would he fit in, would he be accepted and embraced by both the fans and current players and would he be able to modify his game to truly help his teammates win. The answer to all of those questions was a resounding YES!!! Not only did he seamlessly transition into the program, but he did so with the acceptance of everyone involved. And for that, from the bottom of my heart, I THANK ALL OF YOU for the love and support that Byron has received during his time at GU. I was lucky enough to get to the Kennel 3 times this season and I must say, that experience alone was Phenomenal!! (Being a UCLA Grad, and attending games there cannot hold a candle to attending games at GU). On the road, in the mall, in hotel lobbies, in airports, at away games, the fans that I met were extremely knowledgeable and the support was incredible!! I found myself reading this message board since the day Byron decided to invite Coach Few & Coach Daniels to our home. The enthusiasm at the prospect of Byron attending was awesome and throughout the season, the support, comments (both positive and negative), have been fun to read. I even sent some of the comments made after the Arizona game to Byron just because they were soo encouraging and supportive.

So I guess I am saying all of this to say, THANK YOU Gonzaga University, GU Fans, GU Alumni & GU Students for embracing Byron, for making him feel at home and for accepting him as one of your own. He said that this has been "the best year of his life," and I for one agree 10000000%

Now I know that there is a WHOLE lot of basketball yet to be played because this incredible ride isn't finished yet but I just wanted to send out my thanks before the real fun begins!!

Chantal Wesley
    You son and family are a blessing to the Zag Nation and to all who love the team. You should be very proud of an excellent young man who will be a success in life.

Oh and I forgot. The Seasons is not over and the legends are still to be written with your son front and center within the next stage.

Go ZAGS!!
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• MTZag03
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2012

Thank you so much for coming here to share that with us. We love Byron and hope he gets the same special experience us alumni got from GU.

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Wow! What a great mother with such a wonderful, humble heart. I am so moved by this "open letter." Love surrounds ZagNation and the Gonzaga team. Byron has been a great surprise, and he DOES CONTRIBUTE SO MUCH TO THE ZAGS. And I trust that as we now go forward to the toughest part of the season that Byron will contribute even more. He will be better, tougher, and play with 100% effort in every game. I saw so much of his talent demonstrated in the second half of the BYU game. He needs to do this more, and Few needs to find ways to let Byron isolate one on one against his opponents.

Thank you so much Mrs Wesley for you moving letter. You are certainly a classy woman and fantastic mother.

Go Zags!!!
        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Kiddwell
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Great Addition to Zags

Byron's been terrific. A hard-to-rattle, very stable presence on the court. Seems like a wonderful young man too. Hope he and his fellow players experience the Final Four.

:]
          Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• mgadfly
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Thanks Chantal. My favorite post ever.

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

What a nice surprise to have you post this. We all know that family members do view this forum, though posts from them are infrequent.

Despite all the back and forth that may go on here, we are all deeply committed to Gonzaga and we all believe it is a tremendous university and we are very proud of our basketball team. Byron has been absolute gold and has burnished the GU basketball tradition. I am exceptionally impressed with his commitment to the team and its success. It can be hard giving up a lead role, but he has become part of a very special team. We look forward to a another 8 or 9 games with him!
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

Thank you so much Chantal. Byron is an extremely great player and an even better person. I am sooooooooo glad he chose Gonzaga University.

Funny you bring up the Arizona game. I felt bad for him. But I knew he would rebound. And he has. That speaks volumes to the great commitment Byron has shown to get better and better every day.

We are blessed to have had him this year, and we hope that he will be a great contributor to an awesome NCAA Tournament run.

Thanks for stopping by:

gonzagafan62
                Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• 77Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Aug 2007

This is exactly why GU is so special. Mrs. Wesley, your post is fabulous and made me tear up. We are all so glad Byron became part of the "family" and he's been a great contributor. God Bless for sending him our way.

Let's put a 9-0 run together and complete the story.

Go Zags!!
                  “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Thank you and Byron for becoming members of the Zag family. Your son has been an outstanding member of the team and his dedication and commitment to the team is a large part of why we have experienced this years successful results.

Looking forward to that continued success as we move into the post season.

Go Zags

Comment

• Zagceo
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2013

Thanks CW for sharing! You warmed my heart with that post.

The strength I see in Byron is evident in your voice.

As they say it's not about falling down its about getting up!

The best is yet to come.

Go Zags

Comment

• DarkZagRises
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Jun 2013

We've been so blessed to have him. Thank YOU for doing such a good job raising him and thanks to him for choosing GU.

From everything I've seen, guy seems super humble, well-spoken, and well-rounded - three of the traits I admire most in anyone... and he's not afraid to show his geek side (Harry Potter). Wish he could have been here 4 years! But I'm always gonna claim him as ours just as if he'd never attended anywhere else.

Comment

• 77Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2007

Will we get to meet Mrs. Wesley in Vegas? See you at the social, and make sure you are sporting your 22 jersey!
                          “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Post of the year...thanks Chantal!

I'd say the smooth transition for Byron and the team is a 50/50 reflection of some very smart, humble and 'team first' guys who just want to win. We are very very fortunate Byron chose Gonzaga and look forward to seeing how this season plays out. Go Zags!!
                            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• adoptedzag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Chantal,

Thank you for coming here and sharing. It really makes me glad to be a Zag fan to know that there are good people that are sending their kids to the program. I know sometimes the board can be a bit... shall we say, boisterous, but it comes from a place of love.

Here's to a great run in March!

Cheers,
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X