Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An open letter of thanks to all members of the GU Community

Default An open letter of thanks to all members of the GU Community

As I sit here and reflect on the record and results of this regular season, I find myself filled with a sort of contentment that only a mother can have. When my son decided to transfer from USC, the fear of the unknown was real and the foreseeable future cloudy. Soo many questions came as to where would Byron go, would he fit in, would he be accepted and embraced by both the fans and current players and would he be able to modify his game to truly help his teammates win. The answer to all of those questions was a resounding YES!!! Not only did he seamlessly transition into the program, but he did so with the acceptance of everyone involved. And for that, from the bottom of my heart, I THANK ALL OF YOU for the love and support that Byron has received during his time at GU. I was lucky enough to get to the Kennel 3 times this season and I must say, that experience alone was Phenomenal!! (Being a UCLA Grad, and attending games there cannot hold a candle to attending games at GU). On the road, in the mall, in hotel lobbies, in airports, at away games, the fans that I met were extremely knowledgeable and the support was incredible!! I found myself reading this message board since the day Byron decided to invite Coach Few & Coach Daniels to our home. The enthusiasm at the prospect of Byron attending was awesome and throughout the season, the support, comments (both positive and negative), have been fun to read. I even sent some of the comments made after the Arizona game to Byron just because they were soo encouraging and supportive.

So I guess I am saying all of this to say, THANK YOU Gonzaga University, GU Fans, GU Alumni & GU Students for embracing Byron, for making him feel at home and for accepting him as one of your own. He said that this has been "the best year of his life," and I for one agree 10000000%

Now I know that there is a WHOLE lot of basketball yet to be played because this incredible ride isn't finished yet but I just wanted to send out my thanks before the real fun begins!!

Chantal Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by cwes22 View Post
    As I sit here and reflect on the record and results of this regular season, I find myself filled with a sort of contentment that only a mother can have. When my son decided to transfer from USC, the fear of the unknown was real and the foreseeable future cloudy. Soo many questions came as to where would Byron go, would he fit in, would he be accepted and embraced by both the fans and current players and would he be able to modify his game to truly help his teammates win. The answer to all of those questions was a resounding YES!!! Not only did he seamlessly transition into the program, but he did so with the acceptance of everyone involved. And for that, from the bottom of my heart, I THANK ALL OF YOU for the love and support that Byron has received during his time at GU. I was lucky enough to get to the Kennel 3 times this season and I must say, that experience alone was Phenomenal!! (Being a UCLA Grad, and attending games there cannot hold a candle to attending games at GU). On the road, in the mall, in hotel lobbies, in airports, at away games, the fans that I met were extremely knowledgeable and the support was incredible!! I found myself reading this message board since the day Byron decided to invite Coach Few & Coach Daniels to our home. The enthusiasm at the prospect of Byron attending was awesome and throughout the season, the support, comments (both positive and negative), have been fun to read. I even sent some of the comments made after the Arizona game to Byron just because they were soo encouraging and supportive.

So I guess I am saying all of this to say, THANK YOU Gonzaga University, GU Fans, GU Alumni & GU Students for embracing Byron, for making him feel at home and for accepting him as one of your own. He said that this has been "the best year of his life," and I for one agree 10000000%

Now I know that there is a WHOLE lot of basketball yet to be played because this incredible ride isn't finished yet but I just wanted to send out my thanks before the real fun begins!!

Chantal Wesley
    You son and family are a blessing to the Zag Nation and to all who love the team. You should be very proud of an excellent young man who will be a success in life.

Oh and I forgot. The Seasons is not over and the legends are still to be written with your son front and center within the next stage.

Go ZAGS!!
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Thank you so much for coming here to share that with us. We love Byron and hope he gets the same special experience us alumni got from GU.

Wow! What a great mother with such a wonderful, humble heart. I am so moved by this "open letter." Love surrounds ZagNation and the Gonzaga team. Byron has been a great surprise, and he DOES CONTRIBUTE SO MUCH TO THE ZAGS. And I trust that as we now go forward to the toughest part of the season that Byron will contribute even more. He will be better, tougher, and play with 100% effort in every game. I saw so much of his talent demonstrated in the second half of the BYU game. He needs to do this more, and Few needs to find ways to let Byron isolate one on one against his opponents.

Thank you so much Mrs Wesley for you moving letter. You are certainly a classy woman and fantastic mother.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Cool Great Addition to Zags

Byron's been terrific. A hard-to-rattle, very stable presence on the court. Seems like a wonderful young man too. Hope he and his fellow players experience the Final Four.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Thanks Chantal. My favorite post ever.

What a nice surprise to have you post this. We all know that family members do view this forum, though posts from them are infrequent.

Despite all the back and forth that may go on here, we are all deeply committed to Gonzaga and we all believe it is a tremendous university and we are very proud of our basketball team. Byron has been absolute gold and has burnished the GU basketball tradition. I am exceptionally impressed with his commitment to the team and its success. It can be hard giving up a lead role, but he has become part of a very special team. We look forward to a another 8 or 9 games with him!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Thank you so much Chantal. Byron is an extremely great player and an even better person. I am sooooooooo glad he chose Gonzaga University.

Funny you bring up the Arizona game. I felt bad for him. But I knew he would rebound. And he has. That speaks volumes to the great commitment Byron has shown to get better and better every day.

We are blessed to have had him this year, and we hope that he will be a great contributor to an awesome NCAA Tournament run.

Thanks for stopping by:

gonzagafan62
    19 Straight Big Dances

9 Straight Round of 32s

8 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

This is exactly why GU is so special. Mrs. Wesley, your post is fabulous and made me tear up. We are all so glad Byron became part of the "family" and he's been a great contributor. God Bless for sending him our way.

Let's put a 9-0 run together and complete the story.

Go Zags!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Thank you and Byron for becoming members of the Zag family. Your son has been an outstanding member of the team and his dedication and commitment to the team is a large part of why we have experienced this years successful results.

Looking forward to that continued success as we move into the post season.

Go Zags

Thanks CW for sharing! You warmed my heart with that post.

The strength I see in Byron is evident in your voice.

As they say it's not about falling down its about getting up!

The best is yet to come.

Go Zags

We've been so blessed to have him. Thank YOU for doing such a good job raising him and thanks to him for choosing GU.

From everything I've seen, guy seems super humble, well-spoken, and well-rounded - three of the traits I admire most in anyone... and he's not afraid to show his geek side (Harry Potter). Wish he could have been here 4 years! But I'm always gonna claim him as ours just as if he'd never attended anywhere else.

Will we get to meet Mrs. Wesley in Vegas? See you at the social, and make sure you are sporting your 22 jersey!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Post of the year...thanks Chantal!

I'd say the smooth transition for Byron and the team is a 50/50 reflection of some very smart, humble and 'team first' guys who just want to win. We are very very fortunate Byron chose Gonzaga and look forward to seeing how this season plays out. Go Zags!!
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Chantal,

Thank you for coming here and sharing. It really makes me glad to be a Zag fan to know that there are good people that are sending their kids to the program. I know sometimes the board can be a bit... shall we say, boisterous, but it comes from a place of love.

Here's to a great run in March!

Cheers,
    Chris

Chantal Wesley for threeeeeeeee !!!

Nothing but twine !!!

BTW the love and respect is mutual. What a priviledge for us, having Byron a Zag.

GoZags aka Ken Devones

I echo all the positive comments made about Brian and he wonderful family. We are fortunate to have him. He is definitely a Zag. From the beginning I noticed his movement on the court. He has such fluid movement and is best described as 'smooth'.
    Thank you,
    Mrs Wesley for sharing you wonderful letter with us.

He is a fine young man. You should be proud. I certainly have enjoyed watching him play this year.

Mrs. Wesley: Before the start of the season I heard him being interviewed on the radio and he was well spoken, articulate, humble, positive and wanted to make himself and Gonzaga a better team by contributing as best he could. Several days later we had our Crazy in the Kennel and after the scrimmage I stood in line to get a poster signed for my grandson of all the players. When I came to your son, I mentioned I had heard him on the radio earlier and he was once again articulate, humble and appreciated my observations of his radio interview. I am only sorry we got to have his talents for one year. I also go to all the home games and he is the only player on the team that bows his head respectfully during the national anthem at every game. Many do it but I have noticed he does it every game. All of this leads me to conclude the he is going to be a successful member of society and positive and helpful to mankind in whatever he chooses to do. I would further say that after witnessing your family the other night and reading your comments here today, that he must be a chip of the old block. You are to be congratulated on raising a beautiful son and a great representative of Gonzaga University.

Quote Originally Posted by cwes22 View Post

Chantal Wesley
    Ms Wesley,

While we would have loved to enjoyed Byron, his personality, his love for the game, his approach, his demeanor, his unselfish engagement to better others for a full 4 years, I honestly can say having for one year has been an awesome time. The young man embodies what Gonzaga teaches and stands for. He will take his lessons and become a tremendous contributing individual to society without a doubt.
    BUT in the mean time, I look forward to watching that "wry" smile of his on the court, the soft tip of the head (one could only wonder what goes on in his head when this occurs) when a call goes south or sideways, and his unbelievable first step move to the hoop, combined with his simply DEEP DESIRE to get rebounds. He is an integral part of the teams success and I know he believes, as we all do there is a lot of basketball left to be played.

You can be proud of the young man in so many different ways.

Ed Casey/Hoopaholic
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Chantal so glad your son was able to experience Gonzaga University. GU is truly a special place with special people! I look back on my years at GU and it truly was one of the best times in my life. The spirit that exists on campus gives me great faith in humanity. Coach Few is a great example of what GU is all about and he only brings in certain players and your son Bryon is an example of that. Thanks for sharing and I wish you and your family the best! And remember you'll always be apart of ZagNation! Go Zags! Lets make it one LONG journey through the tourney!

Wow, what an awesome post. Thank you for writing that. It is so easy for us fans to get wrapped up in the games and what goes on in them. Thanks for letting us remember that the experience and the journey for these young guys is the good stuff. As others have stated, I hope he gets to extend his career for while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    Thanks Chantal. My favorite post ever.
    I have been a fan and have followed the Zag's since the mid 90's. Thank you Chantal!

Best thread ever!

I heart Byron.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Mrs. Wesley,

Thank you your post, it has been my favorite read here all year (if not of all times). Byron has been such a gift to GU and will be forever remembered as an a ZAG in every sense of the word. I have truly enjoyed watching him play and was equally impressed by his eloquence and demeanor when he spoke with the media.

I'm thrilled to know that Byron will finally get his chance to "dance" and will be part of this special team that will be playing deep into the tournament.

Cheers ... ZagDad