Thread: Question for Mods - Redirect or Hack?

Default Question for Mods - Redirect or Hack?

I tried to log in to the forum today at about 2 pm from my office, which I have done a million times. Instead of getting this site my office computer started flashing various red and white screens and a box came up which invited me to "click here to resolve the problem" - which I obviously did not do. I immediately shut down Internet Explorer using the "task manager" feature on my computer and contacted our IT people. They are currently inspecting my office computer and our firm system for potential viruses or malware.
    Am I the only person that experienced this today? If so, I assume there was some sort of "redirect" problem with my own computer or our office IT system. If others had the same problem, I would like to tell our IT people.

Please PM me as this is obviously not a BB topic. If the Mods could leave this up for a few hours I would appreciate it.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

This is mostly just a bump so that other people an see this, but going to other basketball sites such as realtime rpi .com I have expireinced this problem. Sorry I couldn't help more.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Got same message on my iPad. Just closed page.

realtime rpi.com must have a bug. I've got the 75zag experience multiple times, always connected to that site.

Quote Originally Posted by JPW314159 View Post
    realtime rpi.com must have a bug. I've got the 75zag experience multiple times, always connected to that site.
    Well, I'm glad I don't pay attention to RPI.

I go to Google to log in. 50% of the time it takes the to a bogus page and I shut it down quickly. Last week I tried logging on at work and got a a girl with zero clothes on. Needless to say I shut it down again. The bad part was, my Secretary was looking in my office when that happened.
    " You gotta love the one who loves you "

Thanks for the comments. I will be careful to log in from my favorites list and not via the Google link in the future.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I have noticed that no matter where I am, if I google GU Boards and click on the "Men's Basketball" link, it takes me to some funny page. If I go to the main site and follow the links through GU Boards to Men's Basketball I've had no problems.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

It's junk that's attached to ads.

https://adblockplus.org
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

This just happened to me at work too.

I just tried to get to the boards via a Google search and it re-directed to a malicious looking site, just as you folks mentioned. The work firewall or whatever junked the window very quickly. This would seem to be a Google issue. I usually come here via a bookmark and never have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    I have noticed that no matter where I am, if I google GU Boards and click on the "Men's Basketball" link, it takes me to some funny page. If I go to the main site and follow the links through GU Boards to Men's Basketball I've had no problems.
    I've had the same issue (when clicking on "men's basketball") which starting happening about a month ago. If I just go through the GU Boards forum, then select Men's Basketball I have no issues.

Hmmm.... I was able to recreate this ONCE... I cannot make it repeat again. I have an email into the techs, but not sure if it is the board or if it is Google.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post

I have that turned on... it still happened to me.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post

+1
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I have that turned on... it still happened to me.
    Script blocker? I'm seeing nothin' but GUB over here.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Check your program manager to see if you recently down loaded a unwanted program and uninstall it. It's marketing gimmick

I started to track down this issue but I am no longer able to reproduce the problem. The steps and symptoms I saw:

1. Go to Google and search for "gu boards", click the Mens link
    2. Eventually the browser loaded a site that was not GU Boards, but something like filedownload72.info (something like that), which was clearly a malware site.
    3. I watched the network requests during this time and saw the request to the malware site had a referring header that was from guboards. This indicates that the link from the Google page is not the issue.
    4. I did not see a network request that would directly redirect the request to the malware site, so it is likely coming from javascript (probably using window.location) on the page.
    5. Searching the page and main assets from the page do not point out any direct problems.
    6. The GU Boards site does load ads from Google Ads
    7. While setting up a way to track exactly what was causing the redirect, the issue has stopped for me. I will check again later.

tldr: At this point, I would guess the issue was a bad ad being displayed on the page. If you get redirected to a site that is not GU Boards, do not click to download anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagcity View Post
    Check your program manager to see if you recently down loaded a unwanted program and uninstall it. It's marketing gimmick
    This happened to me on a Linux Box. Although I cannot recreate it

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Can't recommend this enough. Adblock plus and NoScript = amazing.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Just an update... we are thinking but not 100% sure of what the cause of this was. I don't want to go into the nitty-gritty of it. The SR techs have done all they can to clean this up short of bringing the board down. IF you experience this again, PLEASE post on this thread so we can monitor it. Perhaps some downtime will be scheduled after the season is over to do a thorough cleansing and/or an upgrade.

75... thanks for bringing it up.

Just want to say thanks to the SR guys for working on this. I'm gonna have to buy them a beer next time I am in Spokane.