Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keating on Wiltjer and Sabonis......

Default Keating on Wiltjer and Sabonis......

Santa Clara coach Kerry Keating is hoping at least two Gonzaga players pursue their personal agendas and decide to play professionally – like next year. He was referring to the 6-foot-10 Wiltjer, a redshirt junior, and Sabonis, a 6-10 freshman.

“There are four pros on that team,’’ Keating said. “The two left-handers are going to make millions with those left hands, hopefully next year.’’

More here from the WCC Athletics Site: http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-ba...020915aab.html

A summation like this could only be found on the WCC website:

2.As long as it holds up its end and keeps racking up wins the rest of the season, 18-5 SAINT MARY’S should have a decent chance of making the NCAA Tournament. And an upset of the Zags on Feb. 21 in Moraga would certainly improve the Gaels’ RPI, currently at 63. Getting a third team in the tournament is another matter. BYU might slip in with a strong finish but PEPPERDINE is probably looking at the NIT.
    The near assumption that SMC will get in (though I wish it were true) is sort of mind-boggling since I have not even seen them mentioned on the "Next 12 Out" lists.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I hear Walters has a tweet ready to send that he wouldnt start either of them.

Walters mentions domas and kyle W. the first time, for going pro
    next he mentions two left handers going to the pros - probably different statements at different times, but I assume he knows Wiltjer is right handed
    I guess it is probably that wiltjer leaves, but I sure hope the other two stay for next year.
    I expect Domas is staying, Shem, I can only hope

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Walters mentions domas and kyle W. the first time, for going pro
    next he mentions two left handers going to the pros - probably different statements at different times, but I assume he knows Wiltjer is right handed
    I guess it is probably that wiltjer leaves, but I sure hope the other two stay for next year.
    I expect Domas is staying, Shem, I can only hope
    "If ya' can't beat 'em, hope they're just too good to stick around to beat ya'."

Keating.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I hear Walters has a tweet ready to send that he wouldnt start either of them.
    Nice call back :]

On another note, it is an interesting admission that it would take an off night by the Zags for his team to beat them. Maybe the Dons aren't completely delusional, after all. They played just about as good as they can play (and that is a complement), but still lost to the Zags by a healthy margin.

I wonder if the rest of the WCC sees this possibly historic all-time GU team and roots for GU's, and therefore the WCC's, success come March...

Regarding the SC coach's statement, what would Dean Smith have said?

No WCC team besides Gonzaga is making the tournament without the auto bid.

No Zag will go pro early this year.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    No Zag will go pro early this year.
    Go (NBA) pro, I agree. Try to go pro, I think that is what everyone is more concerned about

There are the pros, and there are the Cons. The Zag players have mostly avoided being Cons! LOL

Which 4 is he thinking of?

The 2 left handers are PK and Domas - both should get a shot at the NBA
    Wiltjer is another - NBA? Maybe not but borderline if he looks like he can guard the 4 position

Who is the 4th? Pangos?

No buzz about Kevin as an NBA player though he'll likely have options in Europe after graduation. I think Kevin is good enough but his unselfishness this year has probably hurt his stats. Teams would have to look at his leadership and basketball IQ to get past his size and perceived gaps in athleticism.

ZZ

I agree whole heartily.They all need to stay.Domas can rebound, and that is great,but thats about it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Nice call back :]

On another note, it is an interesting admission that it would take an off night by the Zags for his team to beat them. Maybe the Dons aren't completely delusional, after all. They played just about as good as they can play (and that is a complement), but still lost to the Zags by a healthy margin.

I wonder if the rest of the WCC sees this possibly historic all-time GU team and roots for GU's, and therefore the WCC's, success come March...
    They should be rooting for GU. The farther the Zags go, the more money their own Athletic Department makes.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Nice call back :]I wonder if the rest of the WCC sees this possibly historic all-time GU team and roots for GU's, and therefore the WCC's, success come March...
    Simply, the answer is a resounding "No."
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    I would hope that at least the fans do. I root for other WCC teams to do well and to make the tournament and make a run, but the problem is it seems that the only way anyone can get respect in our league is to go through conference play with less than 2 losses, or to beat us...

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    It's hard to separate the head from the heart.

Wait a minute. What do WCC teams hear from Gonzaga fans?

Slams on other coaches, especially Rex Walters (still talking about 3 year old tweets?).
    Calls to leave the WCC for better competition.
    Claims that other coaches care about nothing other than beating Gonzaga.
    Slams on other school's lack of attendance.
    Blaming the WCC after your tournament losses (WCC doesn't "prepare" you to beat better opponents).
    After a rare Gonzaga loss? 90% of the Gonzaga fans blame the refs. Very little, if any credit is given to the winner.
    Reference to "7 Dwarves", "dreck", etc.
    Every "prediction" before WCC games is for a blowout or 20 point wins. Every time.

So, yes, I know a lot of WCC fans who don't shed a lot of tears when Gonzaga loses.

And I expect several negative comments in response to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post

Slams on other coaches, especially Rex Walters (still talking about 3 year old tweets?).
    Blaming the WCC after your tournament losses (WCC doesn't "prepare" you to beat better opponents).
    After a rare Gonzaga loss? 90% of the Gonzaga fans blame the refs. Very little, if any credit is given to the winner.
    Every "prediction" before WCC games is for a blowout or 20 point wins. Every time.

So, yes, I know a lot of WCC fans who don't shed a lot of tears when Gonzaga loses.
    A) Yes, that is what you hear. So? They all sound pretty appropriate to me. Deal with it.
    B) No one cares if WCC fans cheer when we lose. We're fine with being hated. See answer (a).
    Mark Twain.

Still waiting for a dispute of any of the factual statements described here.

Smile

Hey, that's me!
    Always loved Koolaid - even better than Tang!

Default I think you are right

[QUOTE=USF;1083807]Wait a minute. What do WCC teams hear from Gonzaga fans?

QUOTE]

USF, I believe you have a legit comment here. I see the same thing. I don't feel the same thing and I believe that I am in the majority, vs the minority who post after a loss. I never predict a blow out in the WCC. While the rest of the league hasn't traditionally held up against out of conference competition (they just don't) every game in the WCC is contested. These teams and coaches know each other very well and it is easy for someone in the WCC to get up for the Zags. The Zags always walk in with a ranking; who doesn't want to beat a ranked team? And the tradition of winning is outstanding over the past 20+ years. BTW, other schools don't like Rex either. My sister went to St. Mary's and she has the same opinion of him as I do. Most of the other WCC schools don't sell out except when the Zags come to town, the Zags sell out every game, even when the students are on break. SMC has a pretty good head to head record against the Zags the past 6-7 years so I don't believe we reference the entire league as poor basketball programs. Your perception of the "7 dwarves" is more the national perception of our league. The only way to combat it is to win your opportunities. I think the majority of Zag Alumni don't wish to change leagues. If you experienced what it was like to go to Gonzaga, you would understand that the Jesuit Mission and closeness of the community of Gonzaga are the real reason we are passionate about our school. We fit with the WCC in what our school hopes to accomplish. So I'm sorry that you have felt slighted by Zag fans. USF over the past 15 years has always been a team that makes me nervous when we play. Good luck the rest of the season.

The Seven Dwarves comments disappeared after the addition of BYU years ago.

And all of these are true except two. We always give credit to the winner. I don't know what fairytale snowland hole you live in USF but I didn't see anyone blaming the refs after we lost to Arizona to end our season last year, or when we got beat by San Diego or BYU at the end of the conference season last year. So again, these accusations you speak of are clearly untrue. Oh, and Rex Walters is nothing but a nutcase.

Second, I don't blame any tournament losses on the WCC. None.

Lastly. Rex is a little child. Nobody has stated they actually wanted to leave the WCC and those who do are damned fools.

I do care about other schools attendences, which are by far excruciatingly terrible, including San Franciscos ... Nobody ever shows up, except when Gonzaga comes. Go watch your team play when you play Pacific. Or Portland... Then we might respect the little brother that just wants to be a pain.

7 Dwarves and dreck is true.

Predictions are predictions. Deal with it. You just mad because your team can't ever win by 20????

And we don't care what any WCC fans say about Gonzaga. Haters going to hate.

Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

For what it is worth... I always predict a GU loss.

I for one would rather see the WCC improve than for GU to leave. Update that crackerbox gym and you might get better recruits.

Rex is disliked by more than just GU fans. GU fans liked Max Good when he was at LMU... I know I and many others were downright ticked the way Dick Davey was treated. Bennet, Reveno, and Rose are respected by the fan base here... so you might think we slam other coaches, but it is mostly Rex and Keating (which is likely also part residual anger over the Davey issue) that get the worst, mostly because they earn the dislike.

We complain about WCC refs when it isn't even a GU game... lets face it... they suck.

To an extent... crappy, uneven, inconsistent reffing and gimmicky attempts at beating the Zags doesn't help prepare them. I'd much rather have GU, BYU, Pepp, SMC, and yes even USF be to 100 in RPI, year in and year out. That is what would prepare not just GU, but any other WCC team for the tourney. I would LOVE to see 3 or even 4 teams make the field... I really would.

Just for the record, we attack the refs after a win too... but I think the 90% number is way too high... 20-30% maybe but not 90.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    For what it is worth... I always predict a GU loss.

I for one would rather see the WCC improve than for GU to leave. Update that crackerbox gym and you might get better recruits.

Rex is disliked by more than just GU fans. GU fans liked Max Good when he was at LMU... I know I and many others were downright ticked the way Dick Davey was treated. Bennet, Reveno, and Rose are respected by the fan base here... so you might think we slam other coaches, but it is mostly Rex and Keating (which is likely also part residual anger over the Davey issue) that get the worst, mostly because they earn the dislike.

We complain about WCC refs when it isn't even a GU game... lets face it... they suck.

To an extent... crappy, uneven, inconsistent reffing and gimmicky attempts at beating the Zags doesn't help prepare them. I'd much rather have GU, BYU, Pepp, SMC, and yes even USF be to 100 in RPI, year in and year out. That is what would prepare not just GU, but any other WCC team for the tourney. I would LOVE to see 3 or even 4 teams make the field... I really would.

Just for the record, we attack the refs after a win too... but I think the 90% number is way too high... 20-30% maybe but not 90.
    Perfectly said LIZF. In a much nicer tone. I don't have that switch, yet. Older = wiser I guess.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.