Thread: Kudos to Lenn Sakata-GU '73-'74

Thumbs up Kudos to Lenn Sakata-GU '73-'74

After an 11 year career in the majors, Lenn Sakata just wrapped up his fifth season managing the San Jose Giants of the class A California League with the team's second title in the last three years. The club came back from an 0-2 deficite against Lake Elsinore to win 3 straight and the Championship. Lenn has taken the team to the playoffs in all five of the years he's managed San Jose. Here's what the series MVP had to say about his skipper: "All the credit goes to our manager. He's my favorite manager. There's no one I want to play for more than him. He doesn't put any pressure on you...I absolutely love playing for Lenn Sakata."

Hopefully, some major league GMs are taking note. Congratulations Lenn!

Thanks for the update, upan. I too hope Lenn makes it BACK to the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Thanks for the update, upan. I too hope Lenn makes it BACK to the bigs.
    Lenn's a good guy. Had a lot of fun talkin' baseball and playing tabletop basegall games (strat-o-matic, etc) when we lived in Robinson House (soph year).

Yes, video games had not been invented yet.

Zags had excellent baseball teams in that era.

Default Lets play Jeopardy (Trivia)

Len Sakata= answer

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Len Sakata= answer
    Who was the player that Cal Ripken replaced at shortstop--thus beginning "the streak?"
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

DING DING DING.

I really thought maybe you restrain yourself Angelo, and leave this for someone else. It was waaaaay tooooo easy for you.

Birddog

My freshman years was Lenn's last year at GU. He was a demon in the weight room. People used to stand in awe at his ability to bench press; it was amazing how much weight a guy that small (relatively) could lift.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

With no apologies, your holiness, for you that was like catching a 6" "stocker" on a red and white Daredevil.

Birddog

I grew up in San Jose and spent a considerable chunk of my summers at old Municipal Stadium watching the Giants. Lenny is very well respected and has been in SJ for quite awhile. Very classy, and always a winner - interestingly enough a couple years ago I asked him if he had been back to Gonzaga and he said "I haven't been back there in years!"

Very happy to see the baby Giants win another title!