Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Games - 1/31/15 Bonanza

Default Other Games - 1/31/15 Bonanza

Ok. Thanks to the Super Bowl, today is a goldmine with 151 CBB games today (biggest of the season)!

RPI relevant games in bold:

9:00 AM (5) Wisconsin @ Iowa (ESPN)
    9:00 AM Providence @ St. John's (FOX)
    9:00 AM Davidson @ St. Joseph's (NBC Sports)
    1:00 PM (13) North Carolina @ (10) Lousiville (ESPN)
    1:00 PM (12) Wichita St. @ (18) N. Iowa (ESPN2)
    1:00 PM LMU @ Pacific (thew.tv)
    1:00 PM Georgia @ South Carolina (ESPNU)
    3:00 PM Pepperdine @ St. Mary's (thew.tv)
    3:00 PM (19) Texas @ (20) Baylor (ESPN2)
    4:00 PM (4) Duke @ (2) Virginia (ESPN)
    4:00 PM Alabama @ (1) Kentucky (SEC Network/ESPN3)
    5:00 PM (24) Oklahoma @ Oklahoma St. (ESPN2)
    5:00 PM UCF @ SMU (ESPNU)
    5:00 PM USF @ USD (thew.tv)
    5:00 PM Northwestern State @ SE Louisiana
    5:30 PM Stanford @ Washington St. (Pac12 Network)
    5:30 PM Alabama St. @ Texas Southern
    6:00 PM Santa Clara @ BYU (BYUTV)
    7:00 PM Cal Poly @ UC Davis (ESPNU)
    7:05 PM Montana @ Sacramento St.
    7:30 PM Colorado @ UCLA (Pac12 Network)

I'm sure I missed a few gems (Xavier @ Seton Hall, 9 AM, FSN1 should be a good one). Have fun!
    Last edited by caduceus; 01-31-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Thanks for posting the buffet menu for games today, cad. Some good match-ups.

I think over the last three or four seasons the GUB has become a great one-stop shopping spot for game info, info on standings, rankings, RPI and stuff. Great & fun resource to turn to for almost all things college basketball. Thanks to everyone for pitching in !!
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-31-2015 at 10:40 AM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Nice job, Cad. I knew today would be a good day, but I had no idea it was that good.

Does Wazzu have a chance at knocking off Stanford at home? Probably not, but one can dream.

Can Pepp hang with SMC on the road?

Will Dook get their third loss in two weeks? I hope so.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

On the 7:00 am edition of College Game Day, Reece, Jay, Seth, and Jay Will spent the last five minute segment discussing the Zags chances to reach the FF. Props given to Few, Wiltjer, GBJ, Pangos, the Davenport Hotel, Zags offense, Zags D. . .

How cool is it that Gonzaga has been and will remain part of the national college hoops conversation ?

It's always a great day to be a Zag; after viewing the discussion above, it's just a smidge better.

Beat the Tigers !

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    On the 7:00 am edition of College Game Day, Reece, Jay, Seth, and Jay Will spent the last five minute segment discussing the Zags chances to reach the FF. Props given to Few, Wiltjer, GBJ, Pangos, the Davenport Hotel, Zags offense, Zags D. . .

How cool is it that Gonzaga has been and will remain part of the national college hoops conversation ?

It's always a great day to be a Zag; after viewing the discussion above, it's just a smidge better.

Beat the Tigers !

And.....? What was the prognosis by those Durham educated geniuses?

Thanks for the list, but now I am unlikely to get much done today.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    And.....? What was the prognosis by those Durham educated geniuses?
    Paraphrasing here, jazz:

Seth thinks the Zags have the horses to do it this year; even if they don't, Zags are a great program and should be for a long time. He suggested the senior guards, especially a healthy Pangos, were part of the recipe for making a deep tourney run. He had high praise for Sabonis and Wiltjer also.

Bilas called Few a HOF coach; he brought up the UCLA and Wichita State games and suggested the Zags might have already had two FF appearances were it not for those games. He described GU as "major basketball power, not a mid major." He suggested this year's team D might be enough to get them to the FF. Bilas acknowledged that until GU reaches a FF, there will be loud noise from the doubters.

Williams admitted he wasn't sold on the Zags at the start of the year; he and Greenberg have been debating the Zags off and on since the season began. He singled out Wiltjer and Kyle's improvement since his transfer. He said he has seen enough of them to change his mind and thinks they are a FF capable squad.

I don't recall which talking head brought up this point: Will the WCC have the Zags ready to succeed in March? Zags played a strong OOC schedule to offset it (and the Zags are good enough now to insist upon--and receive-- home & home series with top notch competition) and perhaps the Zags have a chip on their shoulder this year to silence the critics who question the pedigree of their W - L record.

Ultimately, jazz, they all agreed that this edition of the Zags is the best ever and has an excellent chance to be a FF team. Nothing earth-shattering. Pretty typical banter for College Game Day IMO.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-31-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: punctuation error

St. John's and St. Joseph's both look like they will win.
    Good win for the Hawks who were down 13 at half.

The Hawk Will Never Die.

Im telling ya'll rght now .... St. John's is poised to make a run here. I said it Wednesday.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Good start.

KenPom had St. Joe's losing by 7 @ home, so that's a biggie.

Thanks for the detailed list, cad.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Thanks, Reno. And I concur with your conclusion.

#8 Notre Dame, coming off a win over Duke, loses to unranked Pitt on the road by 4.

Great win for St. Joseph's. Jay Bilas, just this morning on ESPN Game Day was saying that Davidson is definitely a Cinderella team, and one to really watch the rest of the year. Way to go St Joe. Also a very good win by St. John's over Providence at home. I watched that game and enjoyed it. Always good to see St. John's win. They've lost so many this year.....

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

NC State wins a barn burner in OT. GTech had the ball up two with 5 seconds left, missed both free throws. NC State rebounded the ball and Trevor Lacey made a 28 foot 3-point shot at the buzzer to win 81-80.

Edit: GW shot -- https://vine.co/v/Otd7bDd0XLA

Thanks for the recap Reno missed that part of the show. Did see the kid hit the $18,000 half court shot. That was pretty sweet. Said he'd use the money for tuition. When I was that age I would have used it for beer!

Depaul over #7 Villanova 40-33 early in 2nd half

Demons billy Garrett junior a joy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    #8 Notre Dame, coming off a win over Duke, loses to unranked Pitt on the road by 4.
    I love Notre Dame, but that loss keeps them below us in the hunt for a top seed.

Default Saying it right now...

#15 Iowa St is THEE darkhorse candidate for F4.

Every single Cyclones game I catch, I'm blown away how good they look at every position.

A poor-man's Kentucky.

They are aggressive man. They fly for rebounds, pass the rock beautifully, and can score inside and out.

I've watched a ton of College Bball this season they are, by far, my most underrated squad. Look every bit as good as most Top-10 teams, if not better.

They look the part, play the part, and their stats back them up.

Currently rank Top-20 in PPG, APG, FG%, effective O & D, etc.

Impressive group Coach Hoiberg has assembled.

They are predicted to match up with our Zags in Sweet 16. I want NO part of this darkhorse group, not to mention they may have the most athletic PF in the Nation. Gulp.

I plan on them advancing to at least the Elite 8, been thinking this for a few weeks now, finally had to share.

They've never lost a game by more than single digits, only dropped games on the road, and have impressive wins over #9 Kansas, #14 WVU, #18 Arkansas, #19 Texas, Iowa, Okie St, etc. They recently lost to #20 Baylor by 1 @ Baylor.

I like everything about them, a squad built to upset folks.

Default Upset Alert.

#14 VCU is going down to Richmond.

Richmond 54
    VCU 48

2:10 2nd half. ( ESPN2 )

Richmond 64
    #14 VCU 52

Final

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    #15 Iowa St is THEE darkhorse candidate for F4.

Every single Cyclones game I catch, I'm blown away how good they look at every position.

A poor-man's Kentucky.

They are aggressive man. They fly for rebounds, pass the rock beautifully, and can score inside and out.

I've watched a ton of College Bball this season they are, by far, my most underrated squad. Look every bit as good as most Top-10 teams, if not better.

They look the part, play the part, and their stats back them up.

Currently rank Top-20 in PPG, APG, FG%, effective O & D, etc.

Impressive group Coach Hoiberg has assembled.

They are predicted to match up with our Zags in Sweet 16. I want NO part of this darkhorse group, not to mention they may have the most athletic PF in the Nation. Gulp.

I plan on them advancing to at least the Elite 8, been thinking this for a few weeks now, finally had to share.

They've never lost a game by more than single digits, only dropped games on the road, and have impressive wins over #9 Kansas, #14 WVU, #18 Arkansas, #19 Texas, Iowa, Okie St, etc. They recently lost to #20 Baylor by 1 @ Baylor.

I like everything about them, a squad built to upset folks.
    You make a good case for them. Losses to South Carolina and Texas Tech are a bit troubling. Those were on the road, but those are not good teams.

Watching Georgia at South Carolina right now. So far Georgia can't hit the broad side of a barn. 4 minutes to go till half. 28-16.
    thanks again to everyone who digs up all the info in all these threads.

Can't wait for Ron baker and his smirkmeister coach to exit, stage left.