• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kreese555
    Bulldog Fan
    • Oct 2011

Post Portland game thoughts + Karnowski

i haven't posted here in awhile, but I lurk basically everyday. With this in mind, I have to say a few things that haven't been said.

1. Przemek Karnowski will go down as one of the best big men that we've ever had here. He's that good. Think about it. His hands are buttery, his footwork could use some work but he works hard and keeps the ball, upon receiving, above his chest. That's day one stuff. Think about our past bigs. Sacre's hands were so small he was like Dante Culpepper but with a bigger ball. He's becoming more and more aggressive and is the most intimidating force we've had on the inside since...maybe ever.

2. Our offense today was awful, especially in the first half. There were multiple times where we settled for BS shots for no other reason than we were looking past our opponent.

3. No one wants to say it, but Domas is the most selfish player on the team, followed closely by Melson. Those two know how good they can be, and chuck everytime they get the ball. I have zero confidence in either of them passing when they get their turn. Still, I believe that sometimes your best players are the ones that are selfish (see AM), however this is a big concern if they can't dial it in by tournament time.

4. Eric McClellan is the real deal, and lends to the idea that no team is complete by February. With he, Perkins, and Silas continuing to grow, we have a great chance at going deep.
    https://twitter.com/#!/kreese555
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Love the candor. Post again soon, don't be a stranger.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kreese555 View Post
      3. No one wants to say it, but Domas is the most selfish player on the team, followed closely by Melson. Those two know how good they can be, and chuck everytime they get the ball. I have zero confidence in either of them passing when they get their turn. Still, I believe that sometimes your best players are the ones that are selfish (see AM), however this is a big concern if they can't dial it in by tournament time.
      i really wouldn't label them as selfish players yet...right now i would say that both of them are extremely confident in their abilities and therefore look to score whenever they have the ball in their hands. considering his field goal percentage, i don't have a problem with sabonis, but i think melson certainly takes some questionable shots.

Comment

• ZagaZags
        Banned
        • May 2010

True Story

Originally posted by kreese555 View Post
        i haven't posted here in awhile, but I lurk basically everyday. With this in mind, I have to say a few things that haven't been said.

1. Przemek Karnowski will go down as one of the best big men that we've ever had here. He's that good. Think about it. His hands are buttery, his footwork could use some work but he works hard and keeps the ball, upon receiving, above his chest. That's day one stuff. Think about our past bigs. Sacre's hands were so small he was like Dante Culpepper but with a bigger ball. He's becoming more and more aggressive and is the most intimidating force we've had on the inside since...maybe ever.

2. Our offense today was awful, especially in the first half. There were multiple times where we settled for BS shots for no other reason than we were looking past our opponent.

4. Eric McClellan is the real deal, and lends to the idea that no team is complete by February. With he, Perkins, and Silas continuing to grow, we have a great chance at going deep.
        If GU plays like that again, they will be a 3-5 seed.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Melson appears to fit that noxious euphemism, a volume shooter. Back in the playground we called it chucker. Still, doesn't seem to faze Few. Would prefer he channel Chris Paul, not Russell Westbrook. While we're at it, Wesley should be more Jimmy Butler, less Klay Thompson.

Comment

• ZagaZags
            Banned
            • May 2010

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
            Melson appears to fit that noxious euphemism, a volume shooter. Back in the playground we called it chucker. Still, doesn't seem to faze Few.
            Melson will be fine.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

both melson and sabonis are freshman so i expect shot selection and passing out of double teams to improve with more experience...karnowski didn't become good at it until this year if you think about it.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post
                Melson will be fine.
                Mark?

Comment

• Zagger
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                  both melson and sabonis are freshman so i expect shot selection and passing out of double teams to improve with more experience...karnowski didn't become good at it until this year if you think about it.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I agree with you on all counts except #3. I thought last night was one of Sabonis' best games yet if not the best. I saw him make a couple nice passes and love the fact that he looks to force the issue in the post when he knows he can overpower his defender. No problem with a post player looking to score every time he gets the ball down low... especially when he leads the nation in field goal %age.

Not so pleased with Wiltjer and Melson settling for long jumpers early in the possession. Move the ball around a bit first and make the defense work and look for the best shot.
                    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Spotted Jenks last night in the huddle and he looks very gaunt. Can't see him playing this year. What a shame, but let's hope the best is to come.

Comment

• gueastcoast
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Agree with the sentiments here that the OP is largely correct except for #3. I think neither Silas nor Domas are selfish, but I also think they have different developmental issues. Silas is a chucker as noted but part of that is figuring out what his role on this team should be. With our senior guards graduating I thiink his role will be clearer next year.

Domas on the other hand shoots because much of the time he is in scoring position AND, unlike Shem, he's not a true "5" (dump it in and either score or dish it back out). He's a crafty guy in the paint and I would hope a guy shooting at his percentage would take shots when he gets the ball in and around the lane.
                        Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Great pt, eastcoast. DS brings more to the table now than SM. He bounds, passes, blocks. SM in search of a 2d thing to do.

Comment

• Birddog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                            i really wouldn't label them as selfish players yet...right now i would say that both of them are extremely confident in their abilities and therefore look to score whenever they have the ball in their hands. considering his field goal percentage, i don't have a problem with sabonis, but i think melson certainly takes some questionable shots.
                            Agree with most of this, disagree with a lot of the OP's views. Karno is good this year but he hasn't been a phenom since his frosh year. Most if not all of Melson's shots last night were open looks and I'm betting he has the green light. Sabonis had a great game, how do you call a 70% shooter selfish?

Not mentioned elsewhere that I have seen is the fact that Nunez got yanked in mop up time, anybody else catch that? I think he might be sleeping with Snoopy.
                            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                            All mimsy were the borogoves,
                            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                              Agree with most of this, disagree with a lot of the OP's views. Karno is good this year but he hasn't been a phenom since his frosh year. Most if not all of Melson's shots last night were open looks and I'm betting he has the green light. Sabonis had a great game, how do you call a 70% shooter selfish?

Not mentioned elsewhere that I have seen is the fact that Nunez got yanked in mop up time, anybody else catch that? I think he might be sleeping with Snoopy.
                              Saw that, tough to watch a player immolate himself on TV. Sleeping with the salmon, more like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X