Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meech playing for Packers in NFC Championship

Default Meech playing for Packers in NFC Championship

Caught this mention in today's Tacoma News Tribune. How many guys can say they played in both the NCAA Tourney S16 and the NFC Championship Game??? The list has to be very short. Can someone please post the link to the article, once a ZAG always a ZAG.................

Good luck Meech, but GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Go ZAGS

Another good question is how many college kids come into football programs focused solely on that position, maybe more physically gifted for the position, and yet don't go anywhere near as far as him, all b/c he outworked them.

A true Zag
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Here's the link: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/0...arted-out.html

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Caught this mention in today's Tacoma News Tribune. How many guys can say they played in both the NCAA Tourney S16 and the NFC Championship Game??? The list has to be very short. Can someone please post the link to the article, once a ZAG always a ZAG.................

Good luck Meech, but GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Go ZAGS
    Gotta be a short list, I know his teammate Julius Peppers has also done it (he played in the Final Four & Super Bowl). Not sure Meech will be able to say he played in the NFCCG (this year, at least). He will most likely be inactive tomorrow. He was only active for 6 regular season games this year, usually due to others' injuries. Barring a last-second injury, the other 52 have been reported healthy enough to play this week likely leaving Meech as one of the 7 inactive.

Antonio agates I think would be on it if you included afc title game
    19 Straight Big Dances

9 Straight Round of 32s

8 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Love Meech. But go Seahawks
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Default Tony Canadeo and Tiny Cahoon

And what do they have in common with Meech?

Quote Originally Posted by lawprof99 View Post
    And what do they have in common with Meech?
    They, along with Hector Cyre, Hal Bross, Roger Ashmore, Dick Flaherty & Gil Skeate all attended GU and played for the Packers.

I'm not the only old guy on here after all. Tony C might have been the best known of the bunch. Too bad Jerry Kramer didn't go to GU

Quote Originally Posted by lawprof99 View Post
    I'm not the only old guy on here after all. Tony C might have been the best known of the bunch. Too bad Jerry Kramer didn't go to GU
    For sure.

Meech not playing today.

The following players have been declared as inactive for Sunday’s NFC Championship game between the Green Bay Packers and the Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink Field. The list remains the same from last week’s game against the Dallas Cowboys:
    Green Bay PackersGreen Bay Packers
    26 RB DuJuan Harris
    39 CB Demetri Goodson
    54 LB Carl Bradford
    72 C Garth Gerhart
    80 TE Justin Perillo
    83 WR Jeff Janis
    99 DT Bruce Gaston
    http://blog.packers.com/2015/01/18/n...mpaign=t150118

Default A nice Meech update and a great look-ahead

A nice update and a great look-ahead for the 2015 season for my favorite Packer:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...299280341.html
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

More from JSOnline about Meech during an online chat Q&A with a Packer reporter.

Q: Jason, New Berlin - Hi, Tyler. I really appreciate the work you do. You're a real asset to the JS and its Packers coverage. In your opinion, what's a bigger need: ILB or CB? Arguably, one starter is needed at each position. Clay could always slide inside. We do have Hayward, Hyde, and even Goodson to potentially fill in the gap at CB. If you're Ted Thompson and you have a CB and an ILB sitting on the board at 30, and you like each equally, what position do you go with?
    A: Tyler Dunne - Jason: It's close, but probably inside linebacker. At cornerback, there are players in-house who are ready to compete for the starting job right now. Casey Hayward started seven games at right outside corner in 2012, so he's done it before even if his best plays to date have come inside where he can read a QB. Don't totally discount Demetri Goodson yet, either. As you guys might've read a couple weeks back, he's a confident guy who expects to compete for a starting spot. Picked off Aaron Rodgers "six or seven" times on the scout team through the course of the season and faced Jordy Nelson every day. Sounds like he took some major strides behind the scene. Will be very interesting to see how he holds up in training camp.

Q: Matt, West Bend - First, thanks for all of the great work you do giving us all our daily Packer fix! Based on what you've heard from off-season workouts, who do you think is going to make the biggest jump this year for the Packers? I think the Packers need to get something out of Thornton or Bradford this year. Your thoughts?
    A: Tyler Dunne - Matt: We discussed him earlier in the chat but I'd probably go with cornerback Demetri Goodson. Only played on special teams as a rookie but has competitiveness, toughness, confidence needed for the position. Might get a chance to start in 2015. There will be a lot of eyes on him through OTA's, minicamp and training camp.

Complete link below, but nothing really more about Meech.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/300404671.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lewey View Post
    More from JSOnline about Meech during an online chat Q&A with a Packer reporter.

Q: Jason, New Berlin - Hi, Tyler. I really appreciate the work you do. You're a real asset to the JS and its Packers coverage. In your opinion, what's a bigger need: ILB or CB? Arguably, one starter is needed at each position. Clay could always slide inside. We do have Hayward, Hyde, and even Goodson to potentially fill in the gap at CB. If you're Ted Thompson and you have a CB and an ILB sitting on the board at 30, and you like each equally, what position do you go with?
    A: Tyler Dunne - Jason: It's close, but probably inside linebacker. At cornerback, there are players in-house who are ready to compete for the starting job right now. Casey Hayward started seven games at right outside corner in 2012, so he's done it before even if his best plays to date have come inside where he can read a QB. Don't totally discount Demetri Goodson yet, either. As you guys might've read a couple weeks back, he's a confident guy who expects to compete for a starting spot. Picked off Aaron Rodgers "six or seven" times on the scout team through the course of the season and faced Jordy Nelson every day. Sounds like he took some major strides behind the scene. Will be very interesting to see how he holds up in training camp.

Q: Matt, West Bend - First, thanks for all of the great work you do giving us all our daily Packer fix! Based on what you've heard from off-season workouts, who do you think is going to make the biggest jump this year for the Packers? I think the Packers need to get something out of Thornton or Bradford this year. Your thoughts?
    A: Tyler Dunne - Matt: We discussed him earlier in the chat but I'd probably go with cornerback Demetri Goodson. Only played on special teams as a rookie but has competitiveness, toughness, confidence needed for the position. Might get a chance to start in 2015. There will be a lot of eyes on him through OTA's, minicamp and training camp.

Complete link below, but nothing really more about Meech.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/300404671.html
    Way to go, Meech. Keep at it (except vs. the Seahawks early season).
    Go Zags!!!

Default Competition for Meech

Green Bay lost two cornerbacks to free agency, so it looked like Meech had a great opportunity. Still an opportunity, but he has much more competition as they got cornerbacks in the first and second round. And he'll have competition shooting hoops too in his downtime. One of them took a very similar path to Meech, playing basketball before he converted to football.

From JSOnline
    "Yes, the Green Bay Packers drafted another cornerback with experience in Division I basketball. Last year, it was Demetri Goodson, a point guard from Gonzaga. On Friday, in the second round of the National Football League draft, it was Rollins, a 5-foot-11, 195-pounder who played point guard at Miami for four years and then only one year of football"

Packers have 7 CBs on the roster ( their first round CB pick is unsigned to make 8, plus 5 safeties as well). It'll be a battle in the secondary for sure, hopefully Meech comes out on the top end.

In their first OTA open to the media/public yesterday, Casey Hayward (projected starting CB aside Sam Shields) was out with a foot injury. Meech took his spot with the first team defense. Some of that could be due to his familiarity with the team/system after last season, but it can't be a bad thing.

Second-year cornerback Demetri Goodson lined up with the No. 1 defense with Hayward out.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/305407831.html

Rest of the offseason schedule:

Organized Team Activities

May 27-29 (May 28 practice open to public)
    June 2-4 (June 2 practice open)
    June 9-12 (June 10 practice open)

Mandatory Minicamp

June 16-18 (all practices open)

Training Camp

Wednesday, July 29: players report
    Thursday, July 30: practice begins
    http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...camp-announced

Nice article from Wes Hodkiewicz this morning.

Demetri Goodson doesn't want to say he was lost.

However, the learning curve was steep for the former Gonzaga point guard-turned-Green Bay Packers cornerback once he arrived at last year's organized team activities. When his position coach, Joe Whitt, shouted directions, sometimes a small panic would overcome the sixth-round pick.

Goodson had questions, but feared raising his hand. He didn't want to draw attention for the wrong reason, especially when sharing a room with veterans like Tramon Williams and Jarrett Bush who knew Dom Capers' defesnive playbook inside and out.

"Coach would tell somebody like a certain thing to do and I'd be like, 'I have no idea what he's talking about,'" Goodson said. "I was scared to say something because I don't want to feel stupid or anything like that."
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ense/28403273/

Nice story. Best wishes to Meech.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Article discussing the Packers cornerback competition. Lot's of quotes from Meech, who is very confident. Coach says all the young corners, including Meech, have a lot of work to do.

So when the Packers took players at his position — 30th and 62nd overall — Goodson wasn't too worried, either.

"To me, I'm the most athletic, well one of the most athletic people on this team," Goodson said. "So if I do what I have to do playbook-wise, I'll be able to play."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...309413961.html

Default Meech has to step it up

Been watching the Packer cornerback news, and there really hasn't been any positive comments about Meech. Now this comment:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...320557692.html

THUMBS DOWN

Demetri Goodson, the sixth-round pick GM Ted Thompson kept over Jumal Rolle, a young cornerback competing for the nickel job in Houston, hasn't shown signs he's going to take the step the Packers were hoping in his second season. Goodson, who started out as a point guard at Gonzaga and finished playing football at Baylor, has fallen behind undrafted rookie Ladarius Gunter on the depth chart and was not sharp in a competitive red zone drill. Rookie receiver Ty Montgomery blew by Goodson so quickly that he couldn't even recover on a pass thrown behind the receiver. Randall Cobb also hit him for a slant. First-round pick Damarious Randall and Gunter make similar mistakes, but every practice they make at least one nice play on the ball and show far greater instincts than Goodson. With second-round pick Quinten Rollins returning from a hamstring injury, Goodson has to start showing up or he'll get completely lost in the shuffle.

Goodson had a nice breakup on a Tolzien pass at Family Night tonight. He's definitely dropped down the depth chart since Randall/Rollins were drafted, but if he can make some plays, he might make it. Everything I've read about his camp so far doesn't sound good though.

Fingers crossed.

-Michael complained last summer when the Packers kept Demetri Goodson over Jumal Rolle. Not because he thought Rolle was anything special, but because he didn’t think Goodson could play cornerback in the National Football League. I’m starting to agree. The former Baylor football* player flashes from time to time, but more often than not he’s having a hard time keeping up with receivers who won’t be around after Labor Day. While Goodson* possesses decent size and speed, he tends to gives up separation at the break point and is often late to find the ball.
    http://packersnotes.com/2015/08/defe...ll-miss-guion/

*Corrected some factual errors.

March didn't travel for the game Thursday, calf injury. Game 2 is next Sunday, 10am PDT on NFLN.

Default Green Bay Roster prediction from Bob McGinn JSOnline

Hopefully he's right:

"With Goodson sidelined by a calf injury since Aug. 11, the hard-charging Gunter has passed him by for No. 5. Goodson, however, has special-teams value and enough raw potential to survive as No. 6."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...322125701.html

The following players did not travel for Sunday’s game between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field:
    Green Bay Packers Green Bay Packers
    10 WR Javess Blue
    39 CB Demetri Goodson
    41 DB Kyle Sebetic
    52 LB Clay Matthews
    53 LB Nick Perry
    69 T David Bakhtiari
    76 DT Mike Daniels
    80 TE Justin Perillo
    84 WR Jared Abbrederis

Hopefully he can play next Saturday. Gunter is looking good.