Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs San Diego: Post game thoughts

Default Gonzaga vs San Diego: Post game thoughts

A great win for Gonzaga in Jenny Craig pavilion in San Diego. Lot's of fans there to support the Zags. I think Gonzaga fans were louder then SDU. And one more time, it was Wesley who kept us together when it got close at the end. He is very amazing. It's never pretty there, and this may have been the ugliest win I've ever seen by a Zag team there. Thank God for guys like Wiltjer and Wesley who know how to play one on one because they are the only two who do. I thank God for PK who comes to play every night, and was outstanding with his passing. Few played Sabonis way to much imo. And kept Wiltjer on the bench way to much in the second half. There was no offensive flow without him. The defense was GREAT. The defense won this one tonight. I didn't see the Zags as tired, I saw them as unfocused on offense, especially Bell who must have missed 4 lay ups.

You may have read my post earlier today on my prediction thread about how beautiful Gonzaga plays. Well, I apologize because it sure was not pretty tonight. Very unimpressed with the Zags on the offensive end tonight. Gary Bell played horrible, and to tell you honestly, I'm kind of sick of his poor production, and lack of concentration on the offensive end. He really hurt the Zags tonight in almost every way. If you know me, you know I love Gary, and most of the time his play. But not tonight. And overall, I am very, very concerned with play on offense. I would not have played him much tonight because as I saw it, he wasn't even there.

And I really almost feel the same about Sobanis. I'm kind of tired of this board's unrealistic view of his game. He is definitely not one of the best Freshmen in the country and I'm tired of hearing supposedly analysts who are supposed to know what's going on (maybe they read all the stuff on this board about him. He is not as good as Edwards would have been,imo. I seem him as a very limited game, and a very poor passer, and defender. When he is in the game Gonzaga NEVER goes on a run, and if I am right, they lose points when he's in. He stymies the offense. There is no flow, there is no continuity or cohesiveness.

OH well. As you say. A win is a win, but it was not fun to watch. As several other games have been this year. On to Portland.

Go Zags!!!
    One game at a time!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Good win - It's amazing that they can play so poorly at times and still win by double digits. I thought they took their foot off the pedal with about 9 or 10 minutes left in the 2nd half. Wish they would keep pushing things until about the 4-5 minute mark and then think about slowing it down. Also seemed like they were getting beat on the boards (especially in the 2nd half). Again looked like Byron Wesley stepped up when things got tight. But still a good win....

Agree with most everything Reborn. Im ready to see our offense look like it should again. We arent getting scouted out and shut down by good defensive teams, we just arent clicking or concentrating on it.

Like I said in the prediction thread, Dee cant beat us alone.

A win is a win...but you can't hide UGLY...

Two road games ---two W's --the toughest road game stretch of the year with Portland next---the results so far don't get any better than that.

Go Zags

I just don't like the way SD plays ball. They slow it down, make it ugly and flop all over. So very, very ugly.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Default Gonzaga vs San Diego: Post game thoughts

This team is good at lots of things but closing isn't one of them. I mean, they're making some key plays late but seems ever since Arizona, they seam to have forgotten how to put the pedal down and throttle a team out of contention. That was plain ugly. I'm not sure what's up with Bell. Yeah, he shadowed Dee but so many missed shots and silly fouls. Time to step up. When he's on, this team has 5 guys who can kill you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

I noticed the fans. I was busy cleaning up in the kitchen early in the game, Pangos hit a 3 which I believe put Gonzaga up 15-5 and at first I thought San Diego had scored because there was so much cheering after the basket. That's some great traveling support!

These stretches of barely scoring any baskets to close out games really needs to stop. We've seen it several times this year. Arizona, UCLA and now San Deigo come to mind. There's just too much talent out there for these guys to struggle scoring for extended periods of time. I have confidence in the kids and the coaching staff that they'll find a way to work through this, but in the meantime some of these games are much closer coming down the stretch than they need to be. They're gonna have to play better than they did tonight to beat Portland in their building.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Two road games ---two W's --the toughest road game stretch of the year with Portland next---the results so far don't get any better than that.

Go Zags
    But isn't it okay to discuss the game here. After all this is a discussion board. I do appreciate fans who come here to share there thoughts and analysis of the game.

Go Zags!!!

Who knows what the stomach flu is doing. I'm glad they are getting over it early.

Right now bad games can be good as long as we win by over ten and keep learning from the mistakes. At times in the second half, the Zags looked haplessly disorganized. I'm hoping its part of a growth spurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    I noticed the fans. I was busy cleaning up in the kitchen early in the game, Pangos hit a 3 which I believe put Gonzaga up 15-5 and at first I thought San Diego had scored because there was so much cheering after the basket. That's some great traveling support!

These stretches of barely scoring any baskets to close out games really needs to stop. We've seen it several times this year. Arizona, UCLA and now San Deigo come to mind. There's just too much talent out there for these guys to struggle scoring for extended periods of time. I have confidence in the kids and the coaching staff that they'll find a way to work through this, but in the meantime some of these games are much closer coming down the stretch than they need to be. They're gonna have to play better than they did tonight to beat Portland in their building.
    Over the years this may be the worst trait Gonzaga has. And then night when the team needs to play great in the second half, they are not used to it and lose. The games in March that I feel were games we should have won were games that Gonzaga lost in the last five minutes of games. An analysis of this tendency needs to be noted by the coaching staff and then deal with it. Teams do form habits, and it is a BAD habit to not CLOSE OUT GAMES well. And I believe it's all about substitution, and I've complained enough already about that this year. So I won't tonight. Kevin and Gary were horrible in the second half tonight. Very, very very poor guard play. I'm disappointed really.

Go Zags!!!

Bell's offensive production is a disappointment but I think he makes up for it (and then some) on defense. Thought he did an excellent job on Dee tonight.

WCC road games are rarely a thing of beauty.

Congrats to the Zags for starting the conference schedule 2 - 0 and for going 7 -1 in December.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

I give Bell Jr. a pass for this game, guarding Johnny Dee for most of the game is enough for 1 person let alone also contribute his usual average on the offensive end.

To the point of not being able to keep the intensity the whole game, I feel this is where Perkins is missed the most. When he played he brought some swagger to the second unit. He also allowed Pangos to play off the ball. Having to floor generals that can really make the offense run seamlessly can really break the will of the other team. They play a bit different style too but are both really effective.

I think it has more to do with everybody playing defense all of the time. Some players looked a little lost on offense in the second half which puts a much greater burden on Pangos and Bell.

Not sure what you are trying to say--I shared my thoughts--- I may not meet the 800 word minimum requirement of some for a post--but I will stick with quality over quantity.

By the way--the kids name is Sabonis----if you are going to bust on him--at least spell his name correctly. Kids a freshman and still learning --give him a break before you toss him aside.

My .02 I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    I just don't like the way SD plays ball. They slow it down, make it ugly and flop all over. So very, very ugly.
    Agreed.

I, personally, have little respect for Grier for multiple reasons. Flopping, hacking, fouling down by double digits with 30 seconds left are just some of them. I will be glad when San Diego cans him.

Ok Sabonis AND Wiltjer.

I don't want to pick any fights or be seen as hypercritical, but Kw's defense was awful in stretches. They are both learning the system.

Great win in The Whales V. Happy to see them redeem after losing on that floor last year.

Tough grinder, not fun to watch, but great sign they can win a grinder in a game following an offensive showdown as we saw in BYU. Won't be the same in K2, Bulldogs will win by 30 at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Bell's offensive production is a disappointment but I think he makes up for it (and then some) on defense. Thought he did an excellent job on Dee tonight.
    This. There are two sides to a basketball court, and GBJ is far and away our best perimeter defender. He locked down dee for 30 minutes. KD did a great job on dee as well, but KD actually made the mistake late that let Dee pop loose for a three that sort of got him going there. Gbj missed two layups early that he should have made, but his defense was fantastic.

In general, sd knows how to blow up our sets. They double well and push our guards away from our sets and Anderson gives pangos fits. I was impressed with how patient PK was, and KD was just a monster...man that kid is a great all around player. Wesley is tough as nails going to the rim, love that.

I am not disappointed in that win at all. My only "concern" is our back up guard spot. We need Perkins. Melson, despite some posters saying is a likely one and done (that still cracks me up) is just not ready for major minutes. He is going to be a major player, but no way could he deal with anderson's ball pressure tonight.

Good win...2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
    Agreed.

I, personally, have little respect for Grier for multiple reasons. Flopping, hacking, fouling down by double digits with 30 seconds left are just some of them. I will be glad when San Diego cans him.
    Few wouldn't let players lead with their jaws on defense.

Bell did a great job on Dee tonight. So he missed some shots... What matters is the job he did on Dee. Both Bell and Dranginis shadowed him like crazy. I think this was a rock solid win for the zags...

Karno's wicked behind-the-back dish was a thing of beauty.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Karno's wicked behind-the-back dish was a thing of beauty.
    One of my favorite plays of the season. How many 7 footers make that pass? I rewound that thing 12 times and still couldn't believe it.

Grier knows Gonzaga better than any opposing coach in the WCC ---since he worked with Few for so many years--- he has Bankhead as an assistant----they know exactly what they need to do to disrupt the Zag system/sets---- As long as Grier is at San Diego--they will have a solid shot at beating us.

Go Zags