Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Black uniforms ( The Mega Thread )

I really don't care for the blacks and can't stand the reds. Lets save the reds until we see U of Oregon with in blue unies!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    win or lose, i just do not like them, black is not a school color.
    And "Zags" is not a school nickname.

"Zags" is an "alternate" nickname, and I do not believe the word should be stricken from Gonzaga lexicon.

Nor do I believe the "alternate" black uniforms displaying the "alternate" nickname "Zags" should be eliminated. Neither one is "official" but they're both fine by me.

My rank of our jerseys:

1. Black. I love the "ZAGS" across the front and the uni looks sharp overall. I also love them because a few months before they came out I said "we should make a black alternate that says ZAGS on the front"... and they did it! My idea.

2. Blue. Also a great look. Road games should be split fairly evenly between the blacks and the blues.

3. White. They look good but are my 3rd favorite. I think this is because it's our home jersey and we play so many garbage teams at home. Not the most exciting games.

4. Dark navy. The one with the Bulldog logo on the front from 2 years ago that we wore at Butler and at BYU. They were a one-year deal. Looked good overall, but the "BULLDOGS" across the back was lame. This is college, not middle school. If they had player names across the back I wouldn't have minded. Look of that uniform top reminded me of a practice jersey. Shorts were awesome, though. Had to buy a pair.

5. Red. They were ugly. That is all.

I think we will be coming up with a light grey home alternate uni in the near future. I hope they have a set of the 1999 royal blues made for this team--set aside for an Elite 8 game.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

How awesome would it be if they did a special 'throwback' uniform, in the style of THESE---

They could update the material, length of shorts, etc, however they wanted, but it would be a modern take on these old uni's.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Default Will we ever see the blue uniforms again?

2 games in a row for the black uniforms. I think we have only seen the blue uniforms once.

UGH !

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    2 games in a row for the black uniforms. I think we have only seen the blue uniforms once.

UGH !
    We are on a 2 game win streak in the blacks. Leave it alone, sonny, and let the good times roll!
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    How awesome would it be if they did a special 'throwback' uniform, in the style of THESE---

They could update the material, length of shorts, etc, however they wanted, but it would be a modern take on these old uni's.

Yes. This would be terrific. I'd go buy one of these "remade throwbacks" in a second. Also wish they had the real old jerseys to buy. I'd get myself a santangelo.

Quote Originally Posted by stevet75 View Post
    I have to agree. Although I have never liked black, it always seemed boring.

Be careful what you wish for because Nike could go all Oregon on us with the uniform color selection. I might not love the black but I sure as hell don't want a Neon Red, with Black tiger stripes, and white/blue trim uniforms on the court which Nike could easily do.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Be careful what you wish for because Nike could go all Oregon on us with the uniform color selection. I might not love the black but I sure as hell don't want a Neon Red, with Black tiger stripes, and white/blue trim uniforms on the court which Nike could easily do.
    Okay, I take it back. Black looks pretty darn good compared to Oregon's uniforms.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

The black uniforms should not exist and should never be worn again. Ever.

They only exist as a marketing gimmick. Mostly to line Nike's pockets I am sure.

I am a graduate of not only Gonzaga, but the University of Washington. I went to law school there, and I have been a UW football fan since I was a kid. (Hoops is a different story).

I feel the same way about the black jerseys as I feel when I tune into a UW game and see them running around the gridiron like a bunch of clowns in white helmets and white pants.

Or black helmets and black pants. They are equally atrocious, and equally disrespectful of the traditions and the esteem of the purple and gold.

It is a joke. They are the University of Washington--they have an iconic helmet (Purple W on gold) with a ton of tradition. Same with the purple jersys and gold pants. They only wore those uniforms once or twice all year this season--the rest of the games they were in their clown suits out there. Object to the "Oregon-ification" of Washington football. And Gonzaga basketball. Criminy--I even saw the Nebraska Cornhuskers--"big red"--decked out in black uniforms this year in football. For shame.

At least Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, and Ohio State seem to be sticking with tradition. I could have missed a game where they didn't but I think they have all avoided this trend for the most part.

Can you imagine if the Michigan Wolverines wore black helmets? Or if Penn State, god forbid, wore black anything on their uniforms?

We should wear home whites, road blues. Occasionally a road red, which is a part of our color scheme. That's it.

Wear your school colors, be proud to do it, and when Nike calls wanting to put you in black for more money, don't "just do it."

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post

I miss those uniformsm so clean and classic.

The redesign you describe would be terrific.

C'mon Angelo, those black unis cost us at least a 20-point win last night.

I incorporate here all that Sinto said. Fly your school colors.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    C'mon Angelo, those black unis cost us at least a 20-point win last night.

I incorporate here all that Sinto said. Fly your school colors.
    My quibble is not with those who don't like black as a matter of preference. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm poking fun at those who believe that the color of the uniform is some how causative of what happens on the floor.

But, if we're committed to honoring tradition, then the boys should roll onto the floor sometime in uniforms that say "Fighting Irish."

I can remember when the Zags' home uni's were "Columbia Blue" (the same shade of blue as North Carolina).
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    My quibble is not with those who don't like black as a matter of preference. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm poking fun at those who believe that the color of the uniform is some how causative of what happens on the floor.

But, if we're committed to honoring tradition, then the boys should roll onto the floor sometime in uniforms that say "Fighting Irish."
    OK I'm guessing but did the school I attended at some point go by the name of Gonzaga Fighting Irish?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    OK I'm guessing but did the school I attended at some point go by the name of Gonzaga Fighting Irish?
    Yes.

http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205182922

And for those that deplore the red uniforms, red is a "school color."

http://www.ncaa.com/schools/gonzaga
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Yep.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Somebody must have been having fun poking the Irish by changing it to English Bulldog.

Default Burn the Black Uniforms

As a former baseball player and by nature rediculously superstitious... Can we please burn the black uniforms. I don't care how good they look, the Zags appear to lose every freaking big game where they wear them! Go back to the Blues, Whites and Reds.

Great Season Zags. Love this team.

I love the blacks

Quote Originally Posted by Colbyspapa View Post
    As a former baseball player and by nature rediculously superstitious... Can we please burn the black uniforms. I don't care how good they look, the Zags appear to lose every freaking big game where they wear them! Go back to the Blues, Whites and Reds.

Great Season Zags. Love this team.
    I couldn't agree more. My first thought when the game came on today was "Oh F***, the black unis"...

They look cool. We lose in them. So I'd rather look bad and win than look cool and lose!

Who picks 'em? Why do they pick 'em? Have the Zags ever won in them?
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

The black unis are OK, it's the red ones that suck.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The black unis are OK, it's the red ones that suck.
    This. We've won in black before people. It's not the black it's the red
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

If I'm recalling correctly, the seniors pick which uniforms (within the regular rules regarding home and away, etc).