Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: end of the game- offense

Default end of the game- offense

I have seen the Zags play since 89 and it seems to me that when we have a lead at the end of the game about 4 minutes or less, we always play the same way- slow it down and try to run out the clock. it seems that coach Few insists that's the way he wants the players to play and they have never been that good at it. That's 14 teams, approx 420 games. It seems like we control the ball for 25 seconds and then more often than not take a difficult shot and with the opponents aggressiveness they run down the court shoot and do it again taking very little time off the clock. It seems it really throws the players off to switch their play at the end of the game.If anyone has stats on our end game deficits It would be interesting to see. Why not continue to do what has worked the whole game and keep playing hard. Any thoughts out there?
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

+1

Excellent point, and if not for the 2nd chance bucket from Wesley and the prayer 3 at the buzzer from KP, the result could have been much different. I just checked ESPN and those were the only FG's we made in the last 9+ minutes. I know UCLA was fouling, but come on................

It is so obvious when Coach takes the air out of the ball, we just stop moving and stop pressing the issue. Like it has been said earlier, this has been going on for 14 years and I don't think it is ever going to stop.

We made the FT's down the stretch so I guess tonight it's genius.

Go ZAGS

Dick Vitale says we're a legit FF contender and you post this crap? What an awful post, flat out awful. Boo you!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    I have seen the Zags play since 89 and it seems to me that when we have a lead at the end of the game about 4 minutes or less, we always play the same way- slow it down and try to run out the clock. it seems that coach Few insists that's the way he wants the players to play and they have never been that good at it. That's 14 teams. It seems it really throws the players off to switch their play at the end of the game.If anyone has stats on our end game deficits It would be interesting to see. Why not continue to do what has worked the whole game and keep playing hard. Any thoughts out there?

Agree. That only works if you have at at least one or a couple players who are good at creating their own offense with a few seconds left on the shot clock.

Quote Originally Posted by cscz28 View Post
    +1
    -1million

You miserable people are pathetic. This is quite possibly our best team EVER, we're OT at the #3 teams place from being undefeated and you miserable sacks ##### about running out the clock in a game that was literally never in doubt? You guys disgust me!
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Excellent point, and if not for the 2nd chance bucket from Wesley and the prayer 3 at the buzzer from KP, the result could have been much different. I just checked ESPN and those were the only FG's we made in the last 9+ minutes. I know UCLA was fouling, but come on................

It is so obvious when Coach takes the air out of the ball, we just stop moving and stop pressing the issue. Like it has been said earlier, this has been going on for 14 years and I don't think it is ever going to stop.

We made the FT's down the stretch so I guess tonight it's genius.

Go ZAGS

Agree. It's frustrating to watch when done too early. Started w/ over 6 min left; if you're up a dozen with 3 and a half left, fine. But of course what do I know, or most of the rest of us for that matter.

Definitely one of my pet-peeves too. Also the ridiculous "dribble out the whole clock, and then try something stupid to end the half".

On the bright side, I love that this is the biggest negative we can find right now. Go Zags!

We just went wire to wire on UCLA and less than five minutes this thread pops up. Why is their even a need to be negative? SMH at some of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Definitely one of my pet-peeves too. Also the ridiculous "dribble out the whole clock, and then try something stupid to end the half".

On the bright side, I love that this is the biggest negative we can find right now. Go Zags!

Gotta keep the pedal to the floor for 40 minutes. It might bite you sometime if you don't.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Spy, I love this team and was looking for intelligent feedback not emotionalism
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Dick Vitale says we're a legit FF contender and you post this crap? What an awful post, flat out awful. Boo you!!!
    I don't think it's crap at all. It's been an issue with the program for a number of years. I understand not hucking up poor shots 10 seconds into the shot clock and such, but this team needs to run better offense towards the end of games.

This team has talent and will win a ton of games. But the key is get better, and to not allow a situation like what happened at Arizona last week to come back and bite the team again. Especially in March.

Seacatfan is right. Other than maybe Wesley, there are not many players on this Gonzaga team who can beat people off the bounce with the shot clock expiring. I think the team is better off running smart offense. Keep going for the jugular....but play smart at the same time.

If players were jacking up shots 10 seconds into the shot clock people would be complaining about that. The standard thing is to take time off the clock at the end of the game when you have the lead. It's hard to fault that. It also is natural for a team that is behind to play tougher defense at the end of the game. It's not a surprise during desperation time for the game to uglied up a bit.

That's why they practice free throws.

I have to admit, though, that when UCLA was pressing I was hoping for one designed alley-oop/hail-mary play to the basket. But that wasn't the armchair coach in me- it was the vindictive fan who remembers 2006.

There are other threads. Or start one. If you don't like negativity don't write on a thread that you should know is going to be negative by the title.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

pfft...at no point in this game could UCLA stop us.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

I wrote that completely calm and devoid of emotion.
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 12-14-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    True, bb, but that was not a very good UCLA team. Good performance from the Zags, and a W.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I don't think it's crap at all. It's been an issue with the program for a number of years. I understand not hucking up poor shots 10 seconds into the shot clock and such, but this team needs to run better offense towards the end of games.

This team has talent and will win a ton of games. But the key is get better, and to not allow a situation like what happened at Arizona last week to come back and bite the team again. Especially in March.

Seacatfan is right. Other than maybe Wesley, there are not many players on this Gonzaga team who can beat people off the bounce with the shot clock expiring. I think the team is better off running smart offense. Keep going for the jugular....but play smart at the same time.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    I didn't relax till Kevin put the knife in with that three.....

I have no problem with the offense at the end of games. I actually love it. We got guys that can handle the ball on the court in those situations. No need to keep playing high paced when you have a good backcourt and good ball handlers. No need fr stupid shots or turnovers. In years past 04-11 yeah that offense isn't great.. But these last four ears I think it's been perfect. We have really been eatin at the clock. We have great free throw shooters too. Not many teams can come back on us at all
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

I don't care what you think, it's my opinion, just like yours is yours. I neither seek nor desire your validation. I'm so sick and tired of the constant nit picking of this team by overly negative fans. Right after the hearbreaking loss to Zona someone starts a thread about the loss being on Few, and then we go down to Pauley and beat them that the game was never even in contention and this stupid thread pops up. The level of entitlement and how spoiled some act here is nauseating.

I think it starts with the coach. Buddy's correct, we don't keep pressure on....it may be a problem in some games. BUT Few's just not a killer. We win graciously and go home. It's the temperment of Few's teams. I like to see a comfortable margin but have those kids on the court be able to turn it up if needed.

And I will ask you if during those last 6 minutes, we shoot with 20 seconds on the clock and miss multiple times and Alford makes multiple threes, what then? I am not saying to run it down to 5 seconds, but clock management is important against top teams that know how to defend. I do believe that you are wrong in your comments.

Few might. Not. Be a killer, but he is a winner and shows it. I do not see any of you coaching a top ten team and winning in areas that are just like ours.

I think every game is different with respect to clock and game management. Can you be more specific on what you are looking for with "stats on end of game deficits"? Just seems a bit vague. Actually I think Dickie V. did a nice job articulating the fact Gonzaga did a good job fending off any potential runs by UCLA down the stretch. UCLA cut the lead to 8 before the Pangos big three pointer just before the under 4 minute TV time out. Correct me if I am wrong but that was as close they got. Gonzaga scored 13 points after the last TV time out to ice it. I think the game was coached well tonight at the end. JMHO

PS: and trust me no one can be a bigger Few critic than me in the past even though you might not hear it. I really like what I have seen from Mark Few this year.