Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replay of missed foul call on Sabonis near the end of regulation

Default Replay of missed foul call on Sabonis near the end of regulation

https://vine.co/v/OrmITP02rFP

I refuse to blame the refs for the loss, but how can you possibly miss this call?

I'm amazed that Few didn't go ballistic on the sideline, but he was obviously preoccupied with getting his offense set for the potential game winning shot.

That was a horrible whistle swallow by the Zebes.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

It wasn't the only bad call, and some of them were in the Zags favor.

Sabonis should have been fouled out if they had called him for a foul when he drug Ashley down earlier in the game. You win some you lose some. The refs didn't influence the outcome.

Yeah Sabonis deserved that no call and way more. This game had zero contact except for that one play by Sabonis against Ashley. I would have liked a flagrant 1 at least. Great comment BTB!

Totally agree that it was 50/50 on the officiating. Both teams got their share of bad calls. I mean, Wesley wasn't fouled on that three point shot attempt at the end of OT.

Still, it's hard to understand how the refs could miss this one. But it wouldn't be the first time that the refs "allowed the kids to play" in the closing seconds.

When it happened, in the moment, I was actually standing up clapping. I thought for sure they had called it and given us two FTs to win it with 2 seconds left.

It was only after things settled for a moment that I saw we just had to inbound it.

KW got a great look. He probably makes 40% of those - 50% at home.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

when was that play? How much time left on clock. It was obvious that Sabonis would have scored on the play, and Few would have been a genius. Oh well. It was definitely a hard foul by #23 for Arizona. I think Bell knew Sabonis was there too. Good play by Gary.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

This was a big miss...but we had our chances regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    when was that play? How much time left on clock. It was obvious that Sabonis would have scored on the play, and Few would have been a genius. Oh well. It was definitely a hard foul by #23 for Arizona. I think Bell knew Sabonis was there too. Good play by Gary.

Go Zags!!!
    That was at the end of regulation. About 2 seconds left

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    When it happened, in the moment, I was actually standing up clapping. I thought for sure they had called it and given us two FTs to win it with 2 seconds left.

It was only after things settled for a moment that I saw we just had to inbound it.

KW got a great look. He probably makes 40% of those - 50% at home.
    Haha I did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

I'm amazed that Few didn't go ballistic on the sideline ...
    Ha, that's a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Slight correction. He was fouled by two Wildcats on that play. Undercut and over the back (over the body?).
    It was a terrible no call but I agree with the majority. Officials didn't cost the Zags the win. They just lost.
    Too many over reactions.

would have been nice to get that whistle there a smart play by the freshman to be there for the miss actually, but agree with the crowd and CDC's point on this about the officials

Fouls are never called on the last play....

While I realize that it's considered the "norm" for ref's to swallow the whistle late in games, I still strongly disagree with that philosophy. People tend to write it off as letting the players decide the outcome, but some teams RELY on this part of officiating and in turn become ultra aggressive knowing that it's unlikely that they're going to get called for it. The ref's are PAID to enforce the rules for the ENTIRE GAME. This includes calling a foul a foul when it's a foul regardless of time left in the game and regardless of perceived previous good or bad calls. And my biggest problem with the swallowing the whistle philosophy is that it often creates the type of aggressive play that results in injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Fouls are never called on the last play....
    Except for the phantom call on Wesley's 3 with 3 seconds left in OT...

Wesley got hit on the elbow going into his shooting motion. The ball ended up three feet short from it.

Okay. I watched the replay several times and didn't see any contact.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

I refuse to blame the refs for the loss, but how can you possibly miss this call?

I'm amazed that Few didn't go ballistic on the sideline, but he was obviously preoccupied with getting his offense set for the potential game winning shot.
    Doesn't matter. Got a clean look for wiltjer and missed it. Refs didn't decide the game. We did
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

No point in talking about the reality of officiating when on the road v a power team. It is what it is.

Zags gave a valiant effort under adverse conditions.

The reffing is just so inconsistent, and I think teams that play aggressive like Arizona get away with so much. Like where did the focus on hand checking go? A perfect example of this to me was Bells baseline drive. He had Hollis-Jefferson faked out and beat and the guy just forces him OB while in illegal defensive positioning, forcing Bell to do the only thing he could do and kick it opposite corner where no one was.

I understand that both teams got calls, and I think Hollis-Jefferson is the Cats best player, but he especially should have had a bunch more whistles called on him.

Cmon, if anything the Zags got more calls. A walk on a McDonald's AA in waning secs? Took balls. And the three point foul? Give it a break, refs were very good, IMO.

I liked the way the refs called the game and let them play..

Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    Sabonis should have been fouled out if they had called him for a foul when he drug Ashley down earlier in the game. You win some you lose some. The refs didn't influence the outcome.
    Yup.