X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I have as much if not more confidence in Bell vs KP on the road when it comes to nailing the kick out 3.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      I have as much if not more confidence in Bell vs KP on the road when it comes to nailing the kick out 3.
      Me too. Bell vs Okie state at GI
      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• zagzealot
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I just want to hear an announcer say it's a battle of Kar-new-ski vs Tar-zew-ski.
        Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
        f∞

Comment

• DZ
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
          Me too. Bell vs Okie state at GI
          Honestly, if you only let me pick one guy to shoot that last shot, I think I'd pick Gary ( I know that is sacrilegious) and not just b/c he did it before, but b/c once in a while KP has a tough time shooting on the road, sometimes he's fine - WVU, where he won us the game. Gary is far more steady home/away, plus he's got the purest jumper and can get elevation over a lot of guards. Haven't seen Wiltjer much but that's definitely not a bad shot, since he shoots 70/75, Gary would probably only hit 72, so not a big difference.
          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
          Mark Twain.

Comment

• Larrylegend
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
            I think UA has worn down its opponents in the 2nd half just about every game so far.
            And this is where Gonzaga's depth comes into play.

Comment

• raise the zag
              Zag for Life
              • May 2011

Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
              Not a good match up for the Zags on a tough home court to win on. That AZ-SDSU game in Maui proved to me that AZ is a very physical and skilled team that plays with high intensity.

Zags will have to be about perfect to win this one.
              This.

and then some. . .

Been saying Arizona the most impressive 'looking' team I've viewed thus far -- including Kentucky.

While they haven't been blowing teams out, you can tell they are physical, well-coached/discplined, and always in control. Much like our game vs St Johns, sure, they kept it close, yet you could tell we were going to win.

Arizona is my pick for the Nat'l Championship.

They look just as formidable, if not better defensively, than last season. Yes, they lost Aaron Gordon, yet GAIN a healthy Brandon Ashley AND bigger, faster, stronger Hollis-Jefferson. Not to mention their Top-10 frontcourt freshman.

Their guards are pretty much equal to our guards, yet they are on another level defensively and in pure transition.

This is precisely the type of game we could have utilized Perkins. Pangos will be swallowed up and playing him off the ball with a true-PG would have been ideal, to hunt his shot and knock down 3's. Its the only way we made it game last season, when Stockton set up Pangos for 3's. Karnowski came to play, yet mostly when the game was already decided.

We are improved as well, yet so is Arizona, just differently.

The key will be keeping Domas out of foul trouble -- the only big who can match their athleticism and motor. Pangos making all his 3's. GBJ pushing the ball. And Wesley having the same type of performance (20pts) he did last season vs Zona.

IF we can keep the game within 10 = HUGE success.

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

One thing that makes me feel positive about the Zags' game vs Arizona is how well BYU played against San Diego St. I'm not sure how many GU fans saw that game, but BYU clearly beat San Diego St and got cheated out of a victory by the refs. San Diego just lost by 2 points to Arizona. I see no reason at all why the Zags shouldn't be able to hang with the Wildcats. San Diego St is every bit as tough on D as Arizona, and BYU was able to score on them.

I don't expect the Zags to turn the ball over like they did last March when they played. Kevin Pangos has like 4 turnovers in 7 games. Gary's turnover stats are about as good. As has been written about a lot here on the board, the key I think is rebounding and Gonzaga being able to shoot from the outside in order to make Arizona guard against the outside shout which will open up the inside. I think the Zags do have the advantage in the post play. I also think that PK and Sabonis need to stay out of foul trouble, and especially Sabonis. He NEEDS to play smart and stay in this game.

Go Zags!!!
                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Zags11
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2008

Id take any one of these teams at home. However, i believe the zags will be in it to the very end. I still believe this team is top 5 team and if we lose itll be just a afterthought later on.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                    One thing that makes me feel positive about the Zags' game vs Arizona is how well BYU played against San Diego St. I'm not sure how many GU fans saw that game, but BYU clearly beat San Diego St and got cheated out of a victory by the refs. San Diego just lost by 2 points to Arizona. I see no reason at all why the Zags shouldn't be able to hang with the Wildcats. San Diego St is every bit as tough on D as Arizona, and BYU was able to score on them.

I don't expect the Zags to turn the ball over like they did last March when they played. Kevin Pangos has like 4 turnovers in 7 games. Gary's turnover stats are about as good. As has been written about a lot here on the board, the key I think is rebounding and Gonzaga being able to shoot from the outside in order to make Arizona guard against the outside shout which will open up the inside. I think the Zags do have the advantage in the post play. I also think that PK and Sabonis need to stay out of foul trouble, and especially Sabonis. He NEEDS to play smart and stay in this game.

Go Zags!!!

That's just not true. There was one possible foul where Haws tried to flop and didn't get rewarded. I could see the argument for a foul, but it was one play. BYU got plenty of breaks as well. I watched the whole game and SDSU, while greatly overrated, was the better team. BYU looks good, though.
                    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
                      That's just not true. There was one possible foul where Haws tried to flop and didn't get rewarded. I could see the argument for a foul, but it was one play. BYU got plenty of breaks as well. I watched the whole game and SDSU, while greatly overrated, was the better team. BYU looks good, though.
                      BYU just lost to Purdue. Maybe BYU is overrated too.
                      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Ekrub
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2009

Nothing to lose really in this game. Huck up threes. Going to need our most athletic players in the floor. Just looks like too tough of a game and a bad match up. If we can keep it close it will be a moral victory.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2011

The key to winning this game is to go in to McKale with the mindset that visiting teams, like SELA, bring into the Kennel. Just toss up some threes and see what happens. We are very good but not as good as Arizona. They are at least as talented and more athletic than us at every position and they are at home with one of the best home court advantages in the country. Their guards will get penetration, leading to open kick-out 3s, and-1s, and dunks. Our main keys to victory are going to be ball security, staying out of foul trouble, and hitting some tough 3s. If we come out and hit a few bombs early, we will spread the defense out and be able to use all aspects of our offense. I really like our chances if this happens. If we come out and miss a few from deep, Zona's defense will bunker down and we won't start hitting shots until we are down big. This has the potential to be a game for the ages if we play well, but a blowout if we don't. I think we will show up, so I'm leaning towards this being a great game that we remember for a long time.

In 2009, when Jimmer burst onto the scene, BYU stomped Arizona by 30 in Tucson. Jimmer had a very impressive 49 points that led to him receiving a standing ovation from the Arizona crowd at the end of the game. Lookin' at you, Kevin...
                          "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• BULLDOG#1
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Aug 2011

It's a tall order beating AZ on their home turf. This is a skilled GU team, though, and the way they can shoot it, I'd give them a fighters chance against anyone/anywhere.

Assuming the combination of Pango/Bell/Drang/Melson can play even with the AZ guards... I think Wiltjer and Wesley will be key.

Wiltjer, though not as physical, can score over top of Hollis-Jefferson or Stanley. Wesley is skilled enough to guard Hollis-Jefferson on the wing and a good enough rebounder to keep him off the offensive glass. If AZ has to double on Wiltjer, then their defense will be faced with a challenge I don't think they've seen all year. Much has been made of the way AZ manhandled the GU guards last year, but this is a different group of guards (healthy and bigger and stronger). Much respect for McConnell, but I'm wondering if he can d-up the Pangos/Wiltjer two man game (I'm hoping he can't).

The refs will likely favor the home team and let them play physical. If that is the case, then Sabonis and Karnowski must play hard nosed (not really an issue for Sabonis) and look to score on the block. Karno will need to make some FTs. Karno needs to play like he did against them last year.

In the end, it's going to take a great team effort to win this game. If they do, I wouldn't consider it a huge upset -- but rather a great win.

Comment

• raise the zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2011

As much as I adore our starting 5, I worry about them defensively.

Our first unit has been able to score on anyone, yet have yet to really defend anyone either.

Their defense to start games have been slow to react -- its been the addition of Domas or Nunez or Perkins/Melson or Dranginis that sets the tone for our D.

While we'll certainly begin the game with Pangos, GBJ, Wesley, Wiltjer, PK, its not our best defensive unit by any stretch.

I sincerely believe we have enough offensive weapons, options, and versaility to HANG with Zona. Even their vaulted defense -- some say best in nation -- will be confused on whom to defend.

Having said that, our first unit cannot, no way, no how defend Zona. Its been our bench who have played the best defense along with our main guys.

I feel we have enough of said offensive tools to score on Zona while potentially changing our lineup to best defend Arizona. imho.

Comment

• seacatfan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2014

Some of you really aren't understanding the matchups. Stanley Johnson will not be guarding Wiltjer. Hollis-Jefferson could be a little bit. Johnson plays the 2 and 3, Hollis-Jefferson 3 and 4. It will mostly be Ashley. He's long and lanky, not really a banger but more athletic than Wiltjer.

Comment

Working...
                                X