Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 221

Thread: Gonzaga vs Arizona Saturday 12/6/2014

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,580

    Default Gonzaga vs Arizona Saturday 12/6/2014

    I know we have a game tomorrow night. I've said what I needed to say about that. It's the Zags business to take one game at a time, and not ours. hahahahaha This game is so huge that I can not, not talk about it. Arizona is such a prodigeous foe that I need to talk about them now. I can hardly wait for the game. I was really hoping that both of us would be undefeated at game time, and that both of us would win our tournaments. And that happened, so I'm so grateful.

    Arizona has been the best team out west for sometime now, and Gonzaga has constantly wanted to replace them, but so far it hasn't happened. Again this year they are ahead of us in the polls. We continue to chase them. I am beginning to feel about Arizona the way I once felt about the U W. At one time they were a formidable foe, until they chickened out on us. Arizona has never done that, and has gladly been willing to play Gonzaga several times in our Out of Conference games (none at GU though until next year). They've beaten us twice now in the NCAA tournament; and it's about time we knock them off that pedestal.

    I really believe that Gonzaga can beat this Arizona Wildcat team. They are tough and confidenct, like all Arizona teams, but they are definitely not the kind of team they were last year. They are missing their two best players from last year. We are not. WE are better. We are bigger, better and tougher. And definitely more experienced. We are tougher inside, beginning with Sabonis. Sabonis is as tough as Arizona will see inside this year. And he's extremely quick for a four who's as tough as him. And we've Wiltjer and Wesley who are both very experienced players who have played at an elite level in basketball. Wesley has played in Arizona two or three years. Gonzaga did not have a player like Wesley last year, and I feel that he will cause havoc in Arizona. Gonzaga, imo is the best team out west this year. Now all they need to do is go and prove it on Saturday.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I know we have a game tomorrow night. I've said what I needed to say about that. It's the Zags business to take one game at a time, and not ours. hahahahaha This game is so huge that I can not, not talk about it. Arizona is such a prodigeous foe that I need to talk about them now. I can hardly wait for the game. I was really hoping that both of us would be undefeated at game time, and that both of us would win our tournaments. And that happened, so I'm so grateful.

    Arizona has been the best team out west for sometime now, and Gonzaga has constantly wanted to replace them, but so far it hasn't happened. Again this year they are ahead of us in the polls. We continue to chase them. I am beginning to feel about Arizona the way I once felt about the U W. At one time they were a formidable foe, until they chickened out on us. Arizona has never done that, and has gladly been willing to play Gonzaga several times in our Out of Conference games (none at GU though until next year). They've beaten us twice now in the NCAA tournament; and it's about time we knock them off that peddastol.

    I really believe that Gonzaga can beat this Arizona Wildcat team. They are tough and confidenct, like all Arizona teams, but they are definitely not the kind of team they were last year. They are missing their two best players from last year. We are not. WE are better. We are bigger, better and tougher. And definitely more experienced. We are tougher inside, beginning with Sabonis. Sabonis is as tough as Arizona will see inside this year. And he's extremely quick for a four who's as tough as him. And we've Wiltjer and Wesley who are both very experienced players who have played at an elite level in basketball. Wesley has played in Arizona two or three years. Gonzaga did not have a player like Wesley last year, and I feel that he will cause havoc in Arizona. Gonzaga, imo is the best team out west this year. Now all they need to do is go and prove it on Saturday.
    I am very VERY nervous about Saturday. I haven't felt this nervous about a game since we played Oklahoma State (in 2012) in Gallagher Iba. Of course I didn't expect to beat Butler, so that doesn't count. I really don't know what to think of this game. Sean Miller is an exceptional coach who is trying to do the same thing Mark Few is doing: Go to a Final Four. The Wildcats have our number, and that's not usually a good thing.

    I really don't have a lot of confidence about this game, but I do hope we win. I agree with everything you stated Reborn. They do seem a bit overrated. Lets look at some of the stats:

    Gonzaga:

    #3 FG Percentage
    #3 in Assists Per Game
    #5 in Points Per Game
    #19 in Offensive Rebounds
    #8 in Defensive Rebounds
    #9 in Defensive FG Percentage (34.3%)

    Arizona:

    55th in FG Percentage
    131st in Assists Per Game
    94th in Points Per Game
    220th in Offensive Rebounds
    153rd In Defensive Rebounds
    125th in Defensive FG Percentage (40.3%)

    Although they have home court advantage. Tough game. Top 20 in all these stats, and they are all sub 50. Who knows if these will be a factor...
    21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,580

    Default

    I'm so glad we played St. John's in Madison Square Garden. Had the Zags not played them there, and won, I would not be so confident. St. John's prepared the Zags to go up against Arizona and beat them. After all, we know this is a special Gonzaga team. And they can prove it too.

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  4. #4

    Default

    To beat Arizona the Zags need Karno to play like the intimidating seven footer he could and should be playing like. To often when he gets a shot blocked or loses a sure rebound to a quicker set of hands he looks dejected. Just once I wish he would tear a back board down or throw a monster dunk on someone. I really believe he is going to be the key to beating Arizona on Saturday. Play with a chip on your shoulder and drop twenty something on them. Intimidate them inside this weekend.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,580

    Default

    Good point, Slam Dunk. He played great last year when we played them. He needs to try to bring that kind of intensity again. I doubt he will get what you hope for, but let's just hope he does not get in foul trouble, protects the basket, gets 6 or 7 rebounds and scores 12 points. AND HOPE HE CAN HIT 2 OR 3 FOUL SHOTS.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Good point, Slam Dunk. He played great last year when we played them. He needs to try to bring that kind of intensity again. I doubt he will get what you hope for, but let's just hope he does not get in foul trouble, protects the basket, gets 6 or 7 rebounds and scores 12 points. AND HOPE HE CAN HIT 2 OR 3 FOUL SHOTS.
    I hope he does drop 20+ on them. If Karnowski gets 20 points, our chances of winning are REAL high.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    968

    Default

    If the Zags win, and win convincingly, the chances for an undefeated, insanely entertaining season go way up. I'm dreaming of a Gonzaga versus Kentucky title tilt featuring two unbeatens!

  8. #8

    Default

    Ok I'll tone that down just a bit. 15 points to include two posterizing dunks 3/6 from the free throw line. Eight rebounds and two big blocks. Last but not least to not foul out. Go Zags

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,145

    Default

    It is very very difficult to beat a elite team on their home court... if the game were in the Kennel that would also be true... I will be very surprised and pleased if Gonzaga wins this game... they could...if they can keep their composure and play at their pace...and someone(s) makes about 12 three's...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane / Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    1,839

    Default

    Great post Reborn, spot on.

    I think this Zag team has a good chance to take them on their home court if they take care of the ball and play intense defense. The scoring will be there. I say we WIN!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Logic dictates we will open the game playing zone against Arizona. As a team they are shooting under 35% from downtown with their two best long range gunners (small sample size) Cartwright & Pitts coming off the bench. Our big concern will be crashing the boards out of the zone (always challenging for any team) and not allowing easy put backs which includes being posterized by Johnson/Jefferson. Our starting 4 man rules out any Man-to-Man options in my opinion. With Nunez/Sabonis we have the potential depth to switch up and rotate defenses better in the front court. It is just a match-up issue vs. Zona and other athletic forwards to start games. I hate zone in general but I think with our team we may have to roll the dice with it regularly. If we find we are not getting production on the offensive end of the court to start games to help compensate for defensive liabilities then coach Few will have to adjust. He already showed in NYC he is willing to sit a player who is a match-up liability on the defensive end if the offensive production is non-existent. I thought our coaching in NYC was very very very very good and I have a tendency to be a critic in that department. At least when thinking the games through to myself afterwards like I did all last year.

    All the player match-ups between Zona and the Zags are so interesting this year. In game Strategy and adjustments I think will decide this game. The Zags have depth like never before and that could be our very slight edge even without Jenks. I don't think Gonzaga will reach its ceiling until February when EM has acclimated himself into the "system" and we hope for a Jenks return (still questionable). Karnowski will just have to be serviceable against Arizona. I think we have a great shot at the win. Our three seniors and that stud named DS give us a punchers chance against any team in the country at any venue. That is why this year is so important. JMHO

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    If the Zags win, and win convincingly, the chances for an undefeated, insanely entertaining season go way up. I'm dreaming of a Gonzaga versus Kentucky title tilt featuring two unbeatens!
    I'm sure if we go unbeaten, the committee would give us a 9 seed and we'd play them in the second game. You should know better than to predict a good draw unless you're in a big five conference. This will worsen as these conferences now expect to be treated "differently"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,138

    Default

    A few keys:

    1) The Zags must keep turnovers to a minimum. Pangos, Bell and company will have defenders in their grill all game long. The bigs must be decisive with their offensive moves and passes. The Zags need to do everything possible to make Arizona run halfcourt offense and keep the crowd out of the game. They must reduce Zona's transition game.

    2) Karnowski and Sabonis must stay out of foul trouble. They have to stay away from cheap fouls so that the fouls they give are legit. They will be battling an elite frontcourt. I expect Wiltjer to struggle in this game defensively (he is going to have a hard time containing almost anyone he is assigned to). Karno and Sabonis need to play a lot of minutes together in order for the Zags to excel in this game.

    3) The Zags must hit their free throws. Arizona may only be shooting 71% from the foul line, but they can stick a lineup out there that consists of 75%+ foul shooters. I don't expect Zona is misfire on the foul line that much in their home arena.

    4) Hollis-Jefferson needs to be boxed out. He is a nuisance on the offense glass and loves blocking shots and stealing the basketball from big men and wings who aren't decisive in their moves going toward the hoop. He is the kind of guy who can completely turn a game around and ignite a crowd with his electric athleticism and ceaseless motor.

    The biggest thing the Zags need to do is just stay in the game. If they can build a lead and maintain it, all the better because Arizona is so good when it comes to getting stops in the final 3-4 minutes. Their defense, which is already elite, goes up a notch in crunch time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,857

    Default

    Incisive post CDC thanks, I'll be keeping an eye on those things!!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    If the Zags win, and win convincingly, the chances for an undefeated, insanely entertaining season go way up. I'm dreaming of a Gonzaga versus Kentucky title tilt featuring two unbeatens!
    Could you imagine all the drama if we played Kentucky at any point in the tourney? Kyle Wiltjer going up against his old squad. Would have to think Kyle would have quite the chip on his shoulder in that scenario. I know it's foolish to even talk about such a hypothetical, but people should not discount what Wiltjer's experience might mean.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    A few keys:

    1) The Zags must keep turnovers to a minimum. Pangos, Bell and company will have defenders in their grill all game long. The bigs must be decisive with their offensive moves and passes. The Zags need to do everything possible to make Arizona run halfcourt offense and keep the crowd out of the game. They must reduce Zona's transition game.

    2) Karnowski and Sabonis must stay out of foul trouble. They have to stay away from cheap fouls so that the fouls they give are legit. They will be battling an elite frontcourt. I expect Wiltjer to struggle in this game defensively (he is going to have a hard time containing almost anyone he is assigned to). Karno and Sabonis need to play a lot of minutes together in order for the Zags to excel in this game.

    3) The Zags must hit their free throws. Arizona may only be shooting 71% from the foul line, but they can stick a lineup out there that consists of 75%+ foul shooters. I don't expect Zona is misfire on the foul line that much in their home arena.

    4) Hollis-Jefferson needs to be boxed out. He is a nuisance on the offense glass and loves blocking shots and stealing the basketball from big men and wings who aren't decisive in their moves going toward the hoop. He is the kind of guy who can completely turn a game around and ignite a crowd with his electric athleticism and ceaseless motor.

    The biggest thing the Zags need to do is just stay in the game. If they can build a lead and maintain it, all the better because Arizona is so good when it comes to getting stops in the final 3-4 minutes. Their defense, which is already elite, goes up a notch in crunch time.
    great post CDC. I agree with what you said about foul shooting. Arizona beat San Diego St at the foul line, as they shot 20-24 and San Diego Shot 13-24. Arizona didn't shoot very well from either the two pt shots or 3's. They shot 36% from 2's and 38 from beyond the arc. The other thing that stands out in their victory was there offensive rebounding. GU must work their butts off on the boards.

    And yes, If GU turns the ball over 17 times against Arizona they will be in trouble.

    I feel differently then you about Wiltjer. If he's hitting his shots he can be very affective. I am really hoping he brings his A game. Sabonis will have a great battle with Stanley Johnson. I can't wait to see it. And the true about the two centers. The match ups are all great. I think Gary Bell is going to have a big game. Pangos too.

    I'm not worrying about the Zags hanging with Arizona. They can. It's going to be a great game, imo.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pendleton Oregon
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    I expect Arizona to block the middle pretty well initially. I think GU should be able to open it up by hitting from outside. Once the middle opens up our bigs need to go at them very aggressively and get them into foul problems.
    I have seen Arizona play a few times on TV and am convinced we can beat them.
    We need a very aggressive PK.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    They embarrassed us pretty bad last year...turnovers did us in. They physically overwhelmed us last year and their bigs are at least as good...make that better this year. To me the key will be not coughing the ball up and not getting lazy with passes. I think that we should shorten our passes up a bit..as they owned the passing lanes. If we hang onto the ball and get fair shots then we will have a chance.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,645

    Default

    Turnovers are always critical - especially on the road in true away game, b/c it amps up the crowd. obviously a big deal.

    What is not obvious, at least I have not heard it in this thread, is the importance of hitting the 3s. If we can shoot our 40-50% from 3, the game becomes much easier. A hot 3 pt shooting team, or even our average at home, would cover a great deal of mistakes. If we have a 2 for 10 clunker, we're in trouble b/c everything else becomes magnified. 3s also are one way to shut up a road arena in a big hurry.

    You don't have to rebound offensively on a made shot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    271

    Default

    there fans are pretty confident bunch
    http://pointguardu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79302

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    great post CDC. I agree with what you said about foul shooting. Arizona beat San Diego St at the foul line, as they shot 20-24 and San Diego Shot 13-24. Arizona didn't shoot very well from either the two pt shots or 3's. They shot 36% from 2's and 38 from beyond the arc. The other thing that stands out in their victory was there offensive rebounding. GU must work their butts off on the boards.

    And yes, If GU turns the ball over 17 times against Arizona they will be in trouble.

    I feel differently then you about Wiltjer. If he's hitting his shots he can be very affective. I am really hoping he brings his A game. Sabonis will have a great battle with Stanley Johnson. I can't wait to see it. And the true about the two centers. The match ups are all great. I think Gary Bell is going to have a big game. Pangos too.

    I'm not worrying about the Zags hanging with Arizona. They can. It's going to be a great game, imo.
    You feel good about KW's defense???? Hitting shots can easily be mitigated by being forced to go zone to cover weakness. Also Wiltjer is the starting 4 not Sabonis so we need a stop gap measure defensively until DS starts logging minutes. Wiltjer is an intelligent player though so he has the capability instinctively to get in proper position for defensive rebounds out of the zone. I think the concern is Wiltjer was a no show against SJ who possess an athletic front court. Wiltjer is skilled enough offensively to position himself and score against anyone in the country if he brings a tough mindset to the game. What do you guys think??? jmho

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRZagFan View Post
    there fans are pretty confident bunch
    http://pointguardu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79302
    Last years beat down they gave works to our advantage mentally for this game. We only have a bad match-up at the 4 on the defensive end. With great coaching we can mask it and still utilize Wiltjer's strengths. Zona is very beatable. They don't respect us. That could turn out to be very fatal for Arizona.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Turnovers are always critical - especially on the road in true away game, b/c it amps up the crowd. obviously a big deal.

    What is not obvious, at least I have not heard it in this thread, is the importance of hitting the 3s. If we can shoot our 40-50% from 3, the game becomes much easier. A hot 3 pt shooting team, or even our average at home, would cover a great deal of mistakes. If we have a 2 for 10 clunker, we're in trouble b/c everything else becomes magnified. 3s also are one way to shut up a road arena in a big hurry.

    You don't have to rebound offensively on a made shot.
    I don't think they can contain Sabonis in the block. Last year Karno even played well down low. I think Johnson could get into early foul trouble if we go at him. Play inside out with Sabonis as the PTP'er. It will open up our dagger shooting hit men from downtown 3 range. So you are right we can kill them from deep with the right approach. jmho

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,580

    Default

    Neither GU or Arizona are the same teams as last year. There are some of the same players back, and ours are as good as theirs, imo. The post players who killed us last year was mostly Eric Gordon, and then Hollis-Jefferson, and especially Gordon. Sam Dower was non-existent in that game. And so was Gary Bell; so I'm excited to see how Gary plays this year.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,389

    Default

    I hope their players read their board! If Rizona thinks that the Pango they saw last year is the same Pangos they will see this year, They will have their 'A' handed to them.
    The game has to be played. On a neutral court I would take this years Zags 70-80% of the time. On their home court I think it is 50/50. Well see...except I will be at work and will DVR the game, so will not be live at anytime. I won't get home until after 6!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •