Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMU Class

Default SMU Class

People at the arena probably would have a better take on this than from the tv screen, but SMU seemed like a class act. They didn't play their A game but didn't take their frustration out on their opponent and both teams showed respected for each other throughout. Can tell they are super well coached and good kids. Glad to have a series with them, and it'll be fun to root for them the rest of the year to boost our RPI.

Way to go Zags!

That crowd is going to be a lot of fun for our return game to Dallas.

I can not agree more. The last 3 minutes I couldn't stop talking to my girlfriend about how classy I thought that team was. They played extremely hard even through the end of the game. You could tell they were frustrated and didn't take it out on us. If I was an SMU fan (or player/coach) I would be extremely proud. Thats a wonderful program.

Can anyone explain why SMU was using a full court press in the last minute of a game that was a blowout, and GU had emptied the bench and had 3 walk ons on the floor? That doesn't seem like class. Can't really see how that's defensible. I'm sure that's on the coach, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Can anyone explain why SMU was using a full court press in the last minute of a game that was a blowout, and GU had emptied the bench and had 3 walk ons on the floor? That doesn't seem like class. Can't really see how that's defensible. I'm sure that's on the coach, but whatever.
    Brown. Always teaching. Not that they 'were not giving up', but rather it seemed Uncle Larry wanted them to play hard no matter what.

Class also isn't attempting to dunk over the losing team in a blowout with 10 seconds left, so we can call it even.

Nick Moore in particular stood out to me to be a class act. Love teams with class.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Griffin's dunk attempt made me cringe

I respectfully disagree. When the other team sends in the scrubs, it's time to ease up a bit. And does SMU not have a bench? Seems like they still had their regular rotation guys in til the end. Yeah, Griffin shouldn't have gone for the dunk, but if the other team is still full court pressing, I'd say it's all fair.

Quote Originally Posted by zagapotomus View Post
    Ditto. No need for it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Disagree with this. The game is 40 minutes long. You want to rest your starters to avoid injury, fine. But the game is 40 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by zagapotomus View Post
    Walk Ons got to get their action too. Mustangs weren't giving up, Zags shouldn't need to either.

I'm not changing my opinion. Trying to teach "never give up" attitude isn't cutting it for me. Pressing til the last seconds against scrubs was bush league.

The thing with Griffin is that he is not a stand in the corner and jack up three type of walk on he is a kangaroo and the only way he gets points is to go up for spectacular dunks

Not bush league IMO. I'd rather bet it was Brown using a lost game for a learning experience. At some point in their season, pressing fullcourt late in the game might be the difference in a game. You can only practice it against your own team so much. I'd bet anything Brown was just getting his kids some extra practice. The game is 40 mins long. They certainly didn't attempt anything dirty, so if they want to work on their press, they should work on their press.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevtelen View Post
    Not bush league IMO. I'd rather bet it was Brown using a lost game for a learning experience. At some point in their season, pressing fullcourt late in the game might be the difference in a game. You can only practice it against your own team so much. I'd bet anything Brown was just getting his kids some extra practice. The game is 40 mins long. They certainly didn't attempt anything dirty, so if they want to work on their press, they should work on their press.
    This.

I don't know if it could be seen on TV but he did more coaching in the last 5 minutes than he had the previous 10.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I thought it was because they missed the dance last year due to a poor OOC schedule. So they came to Spokane. A 16 point loss is more palatable than a 25 or 30 point loss. At least that is my opinion.

I saw no problem with their starters pressing at the end against the GU walk ons.

I DID see a problem with GU not taking a knee the last 14 seconds ....

was at the game and actually gained a lot of respect for smu and had zero issue with them playing hard till the end.

OK, last post for me on this. If Brown was doing most of his coaching in the last 5 minutes of the game...maybe he should've been doing more coaching the previous 35 minutes? It didn't happen, but the Zags would've been justified in running up the score since Brown wasn't letting up his defensive pressure. I still am not buying this as a valuable real game scenario. GU had 3 walk ons in the game at the end. Those are not the kind of players that SMU will need to be full court pressing against in a close game where the outcome isn't determined yet. It's really not much different than practice at that point. I don't see the value of it. I believe there are unwritten rules about end of game etiquette and Brown didn't follow it. And as far as the game is 40 minutes, you have to be prepared to play for 40 minutes, by that logic GU should've kept their 8 or 9 regular rotation guys on the floor and kept the lead at 25 or pushed it to 30. I'm just not going to agree with you guys on this.

Huh? The team that is down has no issue with playing 'til the end? Hope they would and coaches on both sides would expect as much. Never heard of this being an issue. GU has historically played the same way when down big in the last minutes.

As for the Griffin attempted dunk, hey they know that these are those players time to do something. Uber has never understood this complaint. If GU has left the starters in at the end of at 20-30 point blowout, and Pangos and Bell were launching threes with 2 minutes left, then yeah that's an issue. But you clear the bench and those players play hard and want to score? Uber's guess is that Larry Brown would be all for that.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I thought it was because they missed the dance last year due to a poor OOC schedule. So they came to Spokane. A 16 point loss is more palatable than a 25 or 30 point loss. At least that is my opinion.

I saw no problem with their starters pressing at the end against the GU walk ons.

I DID see a problem with GU not taking a knee the last 14 seconds ....
    +1

"They're deep. They've got great guard play. They've got depth and size," Brown said. "I love 'em."

Coach Brown is basketball royalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevtelen View Post
    Those last minutes felt like a scrimmage on both sides. They practiced their press. Our kids practiced breaking the press.

I'm not changing my opinion. Trying to teach "never give up" attitude isn't cutting it for me. Pressing til the last seconds against scrubs was bush league.
    I disagree wholeheartedly....SMU was smart to try to make the score look as respectable as possible; not Larry Brown's problem if Zags put in all their bench players for the last 2 minutes. The only time running a full court press is "bush league" is if your team is wining by 20 in the final minutes and you keep pressing. The losing team, imo, has every right to fight for respect to the bitter end.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Unhappy Wait till we go to their place...

In Kiddwell's humble opinion two items were "cringe-worthy":
    (1) That late dunk attempt
    (2) Student Section chanting, "Over rated! Over rated!"

C'mon, if it's UWKFC, Saint Mary's, BYU, or similar clubs, yeah, we chant "over rated, over rated!" But we've no built-in "beef" with SMU. And this was a nice resume builder for both clubs, so thank you, Ponies, for coming to play. (Kiddwell's buck-twenty.)

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!