Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other games thread 11/14/2014

Default Other games thread 11/14/2014

Other good games that directly effect Gonzaga going on tonight:

Georgia vs Georgia Tech
    Minnesota vs Louisville (if Minnesota beats St. Johns, and Gonzaga beats Georgia)
    San Diego vs Boise State
    Long Beach State vs BYU
    NJIT vs St. John's (See above)
    Fairleigh Dickinson vs St. Joseph's
    Mount Saint Mary's vs Arizona
    Pacific vs W. Illinois
    SMU vs Lamar
    Pepperdine vs Fresno State
    Washington State @ UTEP - Zoinks!

Games taking place but not effecting RPI:

St. Mary's vs Cal St. LA

Overall not a bad slate of games to open up the season
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Another common opponent playing right now vs EWU. I don't think this got enough press. EWU had the 1st college football game of the year and now the 1st basketball game. Pretty cool.

The Eagles, under fourth-year head coach Jim Hayford, moved their men's basketball opener this Friday, Nov. 14, versus Texas Southern to 8 a.m. in order to host the first NCAA Division I basketball game in the 2014-15 season. The game against the 2014 NCAA Tournament participant from the Southwestern Conference was originally scheduled for 6 p.m. Pacific time at Reese Court in Cheney, Wash. It will now be regionally broadcast on SWX TV, as well as via radio on 700-AM ESPN, which airs all Eagle home and away games live.
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
    f∞

Quote Originally Posted by zagzealot View Post
    Another common opponent playing right now vs EWU. I don't think this got enough press. EWU had the 1st college football game of the year and now the 1st basketball game. Pretty cool.

The Eagles, under fourth-year head coach Jim Hayford, moved their men's basketball opener this Friday, Nov. 14, versus Texas Southern to 8 a.m. in order to host the first NCAA Division I basketball game in the 2014-15 season. The game against the 2014 NCAA Tournament participant from the Southwestern Conference was originally scheduled for 6 p.m. Pacific time at Reese Court in Cheney, Wash. It will now be regionally broadcast on SWX TV, as well as via radio on 700-AM ESPN, which airs all Eagle home and away games live.
    That's true. Texas Southern vs EWU. Thanks for that information. That's pretty cool and very interesting.

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

GU nonconference opponents also include UCLA, SE Louisiana, & Texas Southern, whose matchup with Eastern WA is mentioned by zagzealot

Montana St. @ UCLA, 9pm
    SE Louisiana @ Oklahoma St., 5pm

and a couple more WCC games:

SE Missouri St. @ Loyola Marymount, 6pm
    Corncordia (OR) (non D1) @ Portland, 7pm

San Diego vs Boise State
    Long Beach State vs BYU

Both of those should be very good games and kind of unlike most season openers. Hard play right out of the chute.

And to the SMC crowd (the good ones, here), I think we'd like an explanation as to how Bennett manages to find a couple of teams each year from schools that no one previously knew to exist. Are we sure there really is a "Cal State LA" - or is it like the "Washington Generals" teams that suit up and get paid to take up space?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Eags "woke up" & scored 54 in the 2nd half to break open a tight game.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Eags "woke up" & scored 54 in the 2nd half to break open a tight game.
    Yes that was a complete dominating second half. They whopped up on the Texas Southern.

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Anyone know if the LBSU vs BYU game is being televised or fished?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    BYUtv @ 4pm or here (I think it's free): http://www.byutvsports.com/gameday/g...1-063bd9211d64

Wow. Billy Grier against Leon Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by UABZag View Post
    Wow. Billy Grier against Leon Rice.
    Yeah, I'm psyched about this. I'm glad to see they're playing.

It's good to be back! Happy basketball season guys!
    Torerograd '10

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Check out the top of the General Basketball forum; CDC84 has a thread with the TV coverage info. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

One team I wish that we were playing this year is VCU. Getting to go against their "havoc" defense would help our guys toughness level tremendously. And I'd actually like that game right before or after the Arizona game so they're back to back games. You really couldn't simulate March madness any better. And win or lose those games, it'd be a huge help to get past the first week of the tournament

It's extremely early in the season obviously, but USD instantly looks more fluid on offense. I'm trying to temper my excitement.
    Torerograd '10

FYI. Now, Georgia is playing Georgia Tech on ROOT TV. Also on ESPN, Minnesota is going to start at 4.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    FYI. Now, Georgia is playing Georgia Tech on ROOT TV. Also on ESPN, Minnesota is going to start at 4.
    Minnesota Louisville started late. That Georgia game was awful. I'm glad the Louisville game finally started.
    Bring back the OCC

Arizona looked bad most of the first half, a late 12-0 run pushed them to a 40-25 lead. Most of it was off of steals and dunks. 3 point shooting and FT shooting were terrible. Defense has a ways to go to be at last year's level. Brandon Ashley looked good, leading the way with 12 points.

Not college, but KO led Boston with 21 pts 6 reb in a 1 point loss to Cleveland.

Arizona struggled for a good chunk of the 2nd half as well, but went on another run, again mostly fueled by TO's and easy transition buckets. Final was 78-55. Hollis-Jefferson had probably 5 dunks. Ashley finished w/ 21. Much ballyhooed Stanley Johnson really struggled. Team went 4-16 from 3 and 12-25 from the FT line, but shot 57% overall. Lots of dunks helps bring up your FG shooting. It's only 1 game, but I'd say the Zags have a chance in Tucson.

BYU beats Long Beach, 95-90. Haws had 21. BYU bench had 43 points
    Boise State beats San Diego, 81-75, Johnny Dee w/ 25 in the loss
    Pacific beats Western Illinois on the road, 73 - 71, in OT

Santa Clara & Portland enjoying double digit leads in the first half of their games

St Mary's trailing Cal State LA late in the first half
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-14-2014 at 07:48 PM.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

SMU beats Lamar - 93/57

SMC beats UCSLA - 77/67

Every team in the WCC won tonight except USD, who may have had the toughest game.

Pepp with decent win over Fresno State

Pacific over Western Illinois by 2

Santa Clara big over Cal State Fullerton

LMU over SE Mo. State by 10

UP over Concordia

BYU over LBSU by 5

Pacific over Western Illinois by 2
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Last edited by RenoZag; 11-15-2014 at 07:47 AM.

It would have been an excellent opening day if Minnesota, Wazzu and Georgia had won their respective games. But I'm still floating high from watching that whipping the Zags put on last night.

FWIW, St. Joe's lost to Farleigh Freakin' Dickinson @ home. Big Ouch.
    But we don't play nobody.