Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Polls

Default Preseason Polls

Zags #13 in USA Today Preseason Coaches Poll:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa...s-poll/2014/1/

Non Conf Opponents: Arizona #2, SMU #22, Memphis #31, Minnesota #32, UCLA #33, Saint Mary's #48

St. Mary's with 1 vote. Barf. Wonder which coach put them on his list...
    In an ideal world, I would have all 10 fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

I am so tired of seeing Wichita's name above ours. Hope they implode this season. Yes I have venom for that team. Was so happy to see them lose to Kentucky. Just or not I enjoyed it.

Had UK picked over them last year. One of my most confident picks. We'll be above them soon enough, this team has so much more potential than just #13, just gotta put it together!

until everyone plays their first game, I think we're pretty well where we should be. Top ten, sure, but I couldnt tell you which two or three or fours teams to kick out to put us there.

I'm not saying we deserve it right now, just that I believe we have the talent to be top 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ebay View Post
    I love to hate Saint Mary's... In the end this is very good for our conference to have them receiving votes. They picked up a couple of graduate transfers that could make them competitive this year. Gonzaga has owned them ever since they borrowed the WCC crown from us for a season.
    The one thing that makes it difficult for Gonzaga to recruit is our conference. The fact that teams like BYU and SMC are getting national attention is very good for us. Bring it on...

GO ZAGS

WCC with exactly the same number of teams in the top 25 as the Pac 12. Interesting. San Diego St. has become fairly much a fixture in the top 25. Syracuse seems kinda low for a program that's often in the top 10 and I don't think they're in total rebuild mode. Preseason polls are good conversation starters but otherwise fairly worthless. Let's start playing some games and see for real how good teams are!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebay View Post
    Randy Bennett

Every team ahead of Gonzaga has a very good team, and all of the teams behind us in the top 25 have very good teams this year. I'm quite happy to be where we are right now. It's a good place to start.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I agree. Looking at the teams ahead of us, I'd be hard pressed to move us up......although.......TX should be behind us. We prove ourselves on the court. We win, we rise. We lose, we don't rise. SImple.
    I am thinking that if Kyle Wiltjer and Sabonis really step it up ( Few's got high hopes for Domas and he thinks Domas is a very high end player), we'll be top 10 soon. We'll know more when the OOC is completed. I'm thinking the guard core is so amazing this year, the only issue is getting these kids to play with each other as a team. I think this will be a spectacular team.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Every team ahead of Gonzaga has a very good team, and all of the teams behind us in the top 25 have very good teams this year. I'm quite happy to be where we are right now. It's a good place to start.
    Agree 100%. A ranking isn't a measure of the quality of a team in a vacuum, but rather how a team compares to the other 300+ teams across the nation. There are some very high quality squads out there this year, and while this is one of the most loaded Zag teams in a while, there will be plenty of competition for the top spots. Most important, IMO, is to be one of the top 16 teams as judged by the committee and get a top 4 seed come March.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    I love to hate Saint Mary's... In the end this is very good for our conference to have them receiving votes. They picked up a couple of graduate transfers that could make them competitive this year. Gonzaga has owned them ever since they borrowed the WCC crown from us for a season.
    The one thing that makes it difficult for Gonzaga to recruit is our conference. The fact that teams like BYU and SMC are getting national attention is very good for us. Bring it on...

GO ZAGS
    Agree with everything but the first sentence. I actually like them and root for them almost every time they aren't playing the Zags. Their guard play, year after year, is a treat to watch.

I can't hate them because they're like the annoying little brother that's just good enough to beat you on occasion. I prefer to hate the likes of Kentucky, i.e. the big business approach to basketball.

Angry Can you say "punch drunk"?

If UCLA is somewhere near the 33rd best team, and if we really are somewhere near the 13th best team, it would be absolutely intolerable to lose to the Spewin's. One giant wound would reopen, spilling Kiddwell's blood and guts anew all over the living room carpet.

We better pound those punks silly. Grrr.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Agree with everything but the first sentence. I actually like them and root for them almost every time they aren't playing the Zags. Their guard play, year after year, is a treat to watch.

I can't hate them because they're like the annoying little brother that's just good enough to beat you on occasion. I prefer to hate the likes of Kentucky, i.e. the big business approach to basketball.
    I think we're on the same page.... I love to "hate" them the same way I would "hate" a younger, annoying sibling. One of my favorite players ever from the WCC (not wearing GU jersey) was Dellavadova! Before him was Patty Mills - but for a broken wrist, he may have led the Gaels to a WCC title. In any event.... it's a great rivalry and I want the to do well every time they aren't playing Gonzaga.

GO ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I agree. Looking at the teams ahead of us, I'd be hard pressed to move us up......although.......TX should be behind us. We prove ourselves on the court. We win, we rise. We lose, we don't rise. SImple.
    I am thinking that if Kyle Wiltjer and Sabonis really step it up ( Few's got high hopes for Domas and he thinks Domas is a very high end player), we'll be top 10 soon. We'll know more when the OOC is completed. I'm thinking the guard core is so amazing this year, the only issue is getting these kids to play with each other as a team. I think this will be a spectacular team.
    Yeah! There really isn't any hurry. It's a long season. The important thing is to finish in the top 10 by the end of the year. The important thing is to play well. And don't lose to teams we should beat.

Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbbok: (got my copy Friday)

Zags #9

Arizona #2

Texas #12

SMU #19

Oklahoma #25

Tyler Haws 3rd team AA, Kevin Pangos 4th team AA.

"We're really deep, that's for sure," Few said. "We've got 2 guys, at a minimum, at every spot, and that's a good thing-2 guys that can play."

"Gosh, we've got size, we've got experience in the backcourt," Few said. "We have skilled guys. We've got guys that can shoot it. We've added a couple of athletes...The sky's the limit, especially if we could absolutely max out our potential like last year's team."
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbbok: (got my copy Friday)

Zags #9

Arizona #2

Texas #12

SMU #19

Oklahoma #25

Tyler Haws 3rd team AA, Kevin Pangos 4th team AA.

"We're really deep, that's for sure," Few said. "We've got 2 guys, at a minimum, at every spot, and that's a good thing-2 guys that can play."

"Gosh, we've got size, we've got experience in the backcourt," Few said. "We have skilled guys. We've got guys that can shoot it. We've added a couple of athletes...The sky's the limit, especially if we could absolutely max out our potential like last year's team."
    "The sky's the limit..."

Okay who is this Mark Few imposter and where is the real Few? This year he really seems to be out on a thin limb with all this aggressively positive talk. This is very unlike his typical measured and conservative comments leading up to seasons past. If I didn't know better, I would think his motive for doing this is to intentionally put a ton of pressure on both the coaches and players to really ramp up their collective efforts this season (i.e., psychological word games?). Or, alternatively maybe, just maybe, he genuinely believes this is his best team ever (contrary to his past statements of denial to the press) and presents the best chance in years (past, present or future) to make some huge noise in the tournament. Very interesting to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    "The sky's the limit..."

Okay who is this Mark Few imposter and where is the real Few? This year he really seems to be out on a thin limb with all this aggressively positive talk. This is very unlike his typical measured and conservative comments leading up to seasons past. If I didn't know better, I would think his motive for doing this is to intentionally put a ton of pressure on both the coaches and players to really ramp up their collective efforts this season (i.e., psychological word games?). Or, alternatively maybe, just maybe, he genuinely believes this is his best team ever (contrary to his past statements of denial to the press) and presents the best chance in years (past, present or future) to make some huge noise in the tournament. Very interesting to say the least!
    I've always seen Few as pretty straightforward in his comments. Most Zag teams have had limitations somewhere (lack of scoring at the 1 or 3, lack of size/athleticism on the wing defensively etc), and his comments reflect that. He's never before had a roster with this combination of size, skill, athleticism and passing and shooting ability, and I think his comments simply reflect that. I don't think he's big on psychological word games.

An example of why I think he just says what he thinks comes from the Fresno game a decade ago when they had a couple of NBA caliber bigs, and someone told him he needed to slow it down to have a chance. He said something like, "what are you talking about? We're gonna run it right down their throats." (Zags won 87-77) Hardly measured and cautious in that instance.

I think what we are seeing with this is growth in Few. I'm sure he has realized it will take a different effort to get to the next level. In previous years he was conservative as that was the best odds, this year he sees and opening and is going for it. I applaud his thinking and back him 100%.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Zags at 9 to start off the season is much closer to the truth. This is a top 5 team all season long.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    An example of why I think he just says what he thinks comes from the Fresno game a decade ago when they had a couple of NBA caliber bigs, and someone told him he needed to slow it down to have a chance. He said something like, "what are you talking about? We're gonna run it right down their throats." (Zags won 87-77) Hardly measured and cautious in that instance.
    I remember Few making that statement like it was yesterday. I also remember the great game our bigs had as well (Violet and Mallon). Mallon was incredibly good against Fresno and his long flowing hair was quite a sight as well. Even Tarkanian had big words of praise for both Violet and Mallon after that game.

Few's words certainly bring hope, and lots of it.