Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for sci-fi novels

Default Recommendations for sci-fi novels

I need a good sci-fi book. Any recommendations?

Oh wow!

Its been awhile since I read a scifi book.

Let see what other Foosters can recommend.
    Do Foosters read?

Dune (Frank Herbert)

Star Wars was the best sci fi of all times!
    I mean the movie.
    Last edited by GPGUgrad; 09-21-2014 at 06:18 PM.

I concur with GPGU's choice of Dune.

some others to consider:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
    Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep? - Phillip K Dick
    Foundation (trilogy) - Isaac Asimov
    Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C Clark

My two favorites are Dune and Enders game.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Anything Heinlein.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Bocco View Post
    Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep? - Phillip K Dick
    Oh man, I'm a huge PKD fan!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

In honor of our big guy in the middle Karno,
    "The Cyberiad" by Stanislaw Lem.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have always loved Dune and the Heinlein novels. I plan it pick up Enders Game and Electric Sheep for my next road trip.

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell.

Angelo recommended it a while ago and I really enjoyed it.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Bump. Any new recommendations?

Any Congressional Budget Office report. . .

Under The Dome by S. King was a pretty good sci-fi novel. A lot of his stuff fits more into that genre than horror.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-30-2015 at 06:12 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Oh man ... if you enjoyed that, I would recommend the sequel, Children Of God ...
    So many brackets, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

I picked up The Sparrow on Christmas Eve and just finished it. That was an amazing spiritual read. It reminded me why I had once contemplated the priesthood. I have not read a better novel in the last decade.

Thanks for that suggestion. I wish I had jumped on that a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Akzag View Post
    Oh man ... if you enjoyed that, I would recommend the sequel, Children Of God ...
    I did indeed read that. Great series.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Any Congressional Budget Office report. . .

Under The Dome by S. King was a pretty good sci-fi novel. A lot of his stuff fits more into that genre than horror.
    Speaking of Mr. King I'd recommend 11/22/63. Definitely fits the sci-fi bill.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    Not the 'normal' Stephen King book, but I loved 11/22/63. Couldn't put the thing down. It was one of those books that, when I had finished, I was seriously depressed for 2-3 days because I didn't want it to be over! It's easily in my top 2-3 favorite books of all time. Not too mention, James Franco plays the books main character in an upcoming TV mini-series based on this book. It airs within just a couple months too. I REALLY hope they do the book justice (unlikely, I know). I'm really excited.

I'm currently reading "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. I'm still relatively early in the book, but I really like it so far.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    In case you didn't know yet about the tv series...check this page out. I actually think it looks promising!!! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2879552/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I've long been a fan of sci fi movies but only recently started exploring the written form of the genre. I'll add a couple more. "Old Man's War" by Robert Scalzi and the Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown. The first 2 are already published and the last one comes out in the next month or so.

I liked Ender's Game. There are several more books about Ender, but even better is a series about a secondary character, Bean, the Shadow series. Starts with Ender's Shadow and goes from there. Couldn't put those books down once I started.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I've long been a fan of sci fi movies but only recently started exploring the written form of the genre. I'll add a couple more. "Old Man's War" by Robert Scalzi and the Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown. The first 2 are already published and the last one comes out in the next month or so.
    John Scalzi He's good easy reading, and a funny dude.

Since I read probably about 150+ novels a year (mostly SFF) here's some to start off with - most of these are starts or parts of a series, since I prefer more expansive world building.

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie Excellent space opera, deals with nature of consciousness and tea service
    Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey The series that the SF series "The Expanse" is based on. Big kitchen sink space opera.
    Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson (10 books starting with "Gardens of the Moon") Nearly 9000 epic pages of epic fantasy. An emotional and intellectual rollercoaster. Just got done with a re-read over several months.
    Cast in Shadow - Michelle Sagara One of my favorite series, high "urban" fantasy
    The Thousand Names - Django Wexler. Flintlock Fantasy
    Promise of Blood - Brian McClellan More Flintlock Fantasy
    Daggerspell - Katherine Kerr Epic fantasy involving multiple re-incarnations over multiple timelines
    Cold Magic - Kate Elliott Steampunk with dinosaur lawyers.
    The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie The "leading light" of grim dark fantasy
    Colours in the Steel - KJ Parker Grimdark not grimdark enough? Up your game here.
    The Lost Fleet: Dauntless - Jack Campbell Probably some of the better "military SF" I've read in a while (is that damning with faint praise?)
    Dust - Elizabeth Bear relatively hard SF, dark and claustrophobic
    The Martian - Andy Wier Great movie, great book.
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet - Becky Chambers Scratches that "Firefly" itch
    Blindsight - Peter Watts Vampires in space
    The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin Millenia ago, humanity cracked reality and made magic real... technically SF, feels like fantasy
    Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence Thousands of years ago, Clarke's law kicked in and there was an techno-apocalypse. Technically post-apocalyptic SF, feels like fantasy

Currently reading "The Outskirter's Secret" - Rosemary Kirstein. Second in a fantasy series.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    John Scalzi He's good easy reading, and a funny dude.

Since I read probably about 150+ novels a year (mostly SFF) here's some to start off with - most of these are starts or parts of a series, since I prefer more expansive world building.

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie Excellent space opera, deals with nature of consciousness and tea service
    Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey The series that the SF series "The Expanse" is based on. Big kitchen sink space opera.
    Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson (10 books starting with "Gardens of the Moon") Nearly 9000 epic pages of epic fantasy. An emotional and intellectual rollercoaster. Just got done with a re-read over several months.
    Cast in Shadow - Michelle Sagara One of my favorite series, high "urban" fantasy
    The Thousand Names - Django Wexler. Flintlock Fantasy
    Promise of Blood - Brian McClellan More Flintlock Fantasy
    Daggerspell - Katherine Kerr Epic fantasy involving multiple re-incarnations over multiple timelines
    Cold Magic - Kate Elliott Steampunk with dinosaur lawyers.
    The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie The "leading light" of grim dark fantasy
    Colours in the Steel - KJ Parker Grimdark not grimdark enough? Up your game here.
    The Lost Fleet: Dauntless - Jack Campbell Probably some of the better "military SF" I've read in a while (is that damning with faint praise?)
    Dust - Elizabeth Bear relatively hard SF, dark and claustrophobic
    The Martian - Andy Wier Great movie, great book.
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet - Becky Chambers Scratches that "Firefly" itch
    Blindsight - Peter Watts Vampires in space
    The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin Millenia ago, humanity cracked reality and made magic real... technically SF, feels like fantasy
    Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence Thousands of years ago, Clarke's law kicked in and there was an techno-apocalypse. Technically post-apocalyptic SF, feels like fantasy

Currently reading "The Outskirter's Secret" - Rosemary Kirstein. Second in a fantasy series.

Holy smokes! How is that possible? It takes me a month to finish a book...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Holy smokes! How is that possible? It takes me a month to finish a book...
    I read really, REALLY fast, and I try to get in an hour or two reading each night after kiddos are in bed. That's usually good for 200-400 pages at the rate I read, depending on the complexity of the material.

I mean, that's just the tip of the iceberg, just looking over at my bookshelves here... that's not even mentioning Brandon Sanderson, Neal Stephenson, Terry Pratchett, Robin Hobb, Lois McMaster Bujold, Connie Willis, CJ Cherryh, Gene Wolfe, Sam Sykes, Steven Brust, Anthony Burgess, Kim Stanley Robinson, Steven Baxter, Sergei Lukyanenko... yeah.

Jeez, I can't believe I got the author's name wrong. Thanks for the correction!

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    I read really, REALLY fast, and I try to get in an hour or two reading each night after kiddos are in bed. That's usually good for 200-400 pages at the rate I read, depending on the complexity of the material.

I mean, that's just the tip of the iceberg, just looking over at my bookshelves here... that's not even mentioning Brandon Sanderson, Neal Stephenson, Terry Pratchett, Robin Hobb, Lois McMaster Bujold, Connie Willis, CJ Cherryh, Gene Wolfe, Sam Sykes, Steven Brust, Anthony Burgess, Kim Stanley Robinson, Steven Baxter, Sergei Lukyanenko... yeah.

That's so cool....

I'd be interested to know what book you would recommend I read after I finish "The Forever War". Looking at the list you gave, I'm not sure any of them fit the bill...I don't know that I could read one that's over 400 pages....I know I physically COULD, but I don't think I'd have time. Working full time....in school full time (these are the 2 biggest factors...as I am often doing homework or studying 2-3 hours every night)...

But anyway, I prefer something fairly short (sub 400 pages), and I'm not good at novels that switch back and forth between characters. I also don't like TOO much sci-fi. If it's TOO out there, I get lost. My #1 topic is time travel...I really enjoy those. All in all...it would need to follow 1 character, not terribly long, and an 'easy' read... Got anything?

Have you read 11.22.63? Man oh man. Loved that book...I can't say it enough.

That's so cool....

I'd be interested to know what book you would recommend I read after I finish "The Forever War". Looking at the list you gave, I'm not sure any of them fit the bill...I don't know that I could read one that's over 400 pages....I know I physically COULD, but I don't think I'd have time. Working full time....in school full time (these are the 2 biggest factors...as I am often doing homework or studying 2-3 hours every night)...

But anyway, I prefer something fairly short (sub 400 pages), and I'm not good at novels that switch back and forth between characters. I also don't like TOO much sci-fi. If it's TOO out there, I get lost. My #1 topic is time travel...I really enjoy those. All in all...it would need to follow 1 character, not terribly long, and an 'easy' read... Got anything?

Have you read 11.22.63? Man oh man. Loved that book...I can't say it enough.
    "The Forever War" is a classic. And, if you like the Military SF-ness a common follow-up suggestion would be John Scalzi's "Old Man's War", and I'd also throw in the Jack Campbell as being a super-easy to read series as well.

For time-travelly stuff I bend more hard SF, like Steven Baxter's "Exultant", but that has several protagonists and is a little more difficult.

While it's longer (and fantasy, rather than SF) maybe Pat Rothfuss's "The Name of the Wind," a fast read, with a compelling main character.

All that being said? "The Martian"

Awesome. Thanks for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Jeez, I can't believe I got the author's name wrong. Thanks for the correction!
    Since he gets compared to Robert Heinlein a lot, I can see where the conflation may come in.

His blog though is great, and I've met him several times at conventions and he's never been less than gracious, and has a dry sense of humor that matches well to mine.

Awesome. Thanks for the info!!
    No worries - you may also want to check out Schlock Mercenary - it's a SF web comic that has run daily for for over 15 years. The art starts off sort of primitive, but it has serious hard SF going on.

Highly recommended.