Page 180 of 181 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181 LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 4518

Thread: Reno's Place

Well, hell, I guess we're going to find out if the Zags have enough gas in the tank for the 2nd half against the Dons. Wooly, Corey, and Joel need to step up.

Dons up 43 - 35. 20 minutes to play some D and make some buckets. . .

Token post pad

There are a lot of reasons to think society is going downhill, but the fact that "Paranormal On Camera" is a show on cable is probably right up there.

UFOs, of course, are totally rationale and fine - according to the U.S. gov - but ghosts and dudes walking on 4 legs are ridiculous.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

On ABC News yesterday, a story was aired regarding a young athlete from Stratford, OK, who was saved by a heart rate alert from his Apple Watch. Some of the story's footage included snapshots of the young man in various athletic uniforms. I thought the Bulldog logo on the uniforms (and cheerleader unis) looked familiar. . .

The school website: https://www.stratford.k12.ok.us/

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

I should turn off twitter, facebook, and MSNBC for Lent. Nothing but PBS and sports for 40 days. Who's with me ?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I should turn off twitter, facebook, and MSNBC for Lent. Nothing but PBS and sports for 40 days. Who's with me ?
    Fox, CNN and the alphabet channels are no better. The newspapers don't even try to hide their preferred political agendas anymore. Sports and old movies for me this Lenten season.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Fox, CNN and the alphabet channels are no better. The newspapers don't even try to hide their preferred political agendas anymore. Sports and old movies for me this Lenten season.
    If you have a Netflix account, I highly recommend "Bathtubs Over Broadway." Quirky, fun, unexpected. . .one of the best documentary films in the last 10 years.

Old movies rock.

Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Decided not to give up anything for Lent. I'm a lapsed Catholic so I don't see the point of honoring a tradition the nuns drilled into me from 1963 to 1971.

If you have a Netflix account, I highly recommend "Bathtubs Over Broadway." Quirky, fun, unexpected. . .one of the best documentary films in the last 10 years.

Old movies rock.
    Almost tuned out after first few minutes but something kept drawing me in. Talk about under the radar. Immensely talented people whose work rarely saw the light of day. The production costs of these Industrial Musicals dwarfing Broadway Musicals was the most startling thing to me.

When you get right down to it, there are millions of people that have done incredible things that are basically anonymous. Reminds me of Ecclesiastes.

Decided not to give up anything for Lent. I'm a lapsed Catholic so I don't see the point of honoring a tradition the nuns drilled into me from 1963 to 1971.
    You're always welcome back into the fold. Lost sheep doncha know. Haha.

There are forces loose on the OCC that make me want to hurl puppies & kittens into the nearest wood chipper. . .

and there's nothing wrong with the OCC being a rip-roarin' partisan-filled bit--hfest. That's what it's there for !

But I pray that some of the latest arrivals to the GUB will keep poking the hornet's nest in forums other than the MBB.

As for your humble correspondent: The unexamined life isn't worth living hence I dive into pop culture, politics, music, films, and other stuff here in a post padding place where I can pretty much rule the roost. I suppose I ought to do my own blog, but that bus left the station a few years ago.

I like the GUB, enjoy "helping" out whenever I can, and have banned my fair share of spammers. I have only banned or suspended a few posters in my time. . .I have been lucky to put faces with some of the screen names and hope to do more of that in the months & years to come.

I'm a Zag not so much because I'm a hoops fan but instead for the impact attending Gonzaga ( on a ROTC ride ! Me ! A dirty old liberal ! ) University.
    The basketball team's success is the icing on the dessert; the cake was those four years on campus. . .

We now return you to our regularly scheduled post padding. . .
    A note that has aged pretty well. . .from September 2008.

Default A Leap Year Story: February 29, 2008

Thanks to BobZag, I had a ticket to the March 1, 2008, Zags vs. Saint Mary's game. It would be my first GU game on campus since 1979.

I caught an early flight from Reno on Friday, 2/29, happy to get away from work for a day. I worked for a company that manufactured weather-resistant barriers for the construction industry; window flashings, house wraps, flooring underlayments were our stock in trade. The housing bubble had burst and business was terrible. A private, family owned company, we were bleeding cash and the spending habits of the housing boom era -- 2005 to 2006 -- hadn't abated soon enough. There were whispers of a possible sale. I was the GM of one of five manufacturing plants, the newest facility in the arsenal. We broke ground in November 1993 and opened in September 1994.

Rumors of chaos on the executive team included reports of a deep rift between the owner of the company who was also Chairman & CEO and the President & COO. The CEO and President's fathers had built the company a generation before. Their roots ran deep. Both were strong-willed, stubborn, and arrogant at times. Who knew when the powder keg of egos would explode ? I reported to the COO. I tried to put this drama out of mind as I headed from GEG towards campus.

I arranged to meet-up with a group of GUB members for lunch at the Viking. It was the second time "usernames" transitioned to real names (and faces) in my GUB experience. Our lunch included a few pitchers and lasted nearly three hours. El Voce, hondo, Section 116, 94zagoldwomanasherdsman, JLGutrocks, Bocco, and TheZagPhish made me feel welcome as we traded details, talked Zags, and broke the ice. It was time to check in to my hotel.

I was booked at the Red Lion River Inn. It was a sentimental choice: my wedding reception was held there on May 18, 1991, following a Jesuit House ceremony officiated by Fr. Frank Costello, SJ.

As I was leaving The Viking, my cellphone pinged four times. A glance at the screen revealed I had missed repeated calls from the CEO. There were two voicemails, also from the Big Boss. The Verizon signal hadn't worked while inside the tavern. I felt a rush of blood to my cheeks and an immediate knot in my stomach. The warmth of engaging with fellow Zags disappeared like a Paris pick-pocket working the crowd in front of Cleopatra's Needle. I drove the few blocks from the watering hole to the hotel wondering if I would still have a job when I returned home. After checking in, I left the registration desk, went outside, lit a cigarette, and called Stuart, our CEO.

"I'm so sorry I missed your calls. I'm on vacation in Spokane for a Zags game tomorrow."

"Good for you. You deserve to get away."

"Before we get too far: I met up with some fellow Zag fans for lunch and we enjoyed a few brewskis while we were shooting the breeze. I'm a little buzzed."

"Hey, you're on vacation. You're supposed to have a good time." The knot in my stomach loosened a little. "So, Stu, what's up ?"

"I wanted to tell you personally that we've decided to change the direction of the company. " He paused, then said the name of my boss, the COO, followed by ". . .no longer works for the company."

A feeling of relief transitioned to uncertainty. A lyric snippet from Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue" ( 'One day the axe just fell' ) crossed my mind as Stu outlined other organizational changes, ticking off other details from a script he'd prepared. Our call ended with him wishing me a good time in Spokane and a safe trip home.

"Go Zags," he said.

"Go Zags," I echoed.

As for the game:

Before the 5:00pm game, I had a brief chat with BobZag. I walked the concourse, taking pictures, soaking it all in. The Kennel Club was rocking, the music was pounding. The pep band was blaring. I watched from a seat high up in Section 116. For a few hours, I was a 50 year-old freshman, back on campus for game night. I joined the crowd in lusty boos when Omar Samhan was introduced with the other starters.

Gonzaga's starters included Sacre, Gray, Pendo, Pargo, and Bouldin. Coming off the bench: Kuso, Daye, Heytvelt, and Downs. The Gaels starting five: O'Leary, Simpson, Samhan, Golden, and Patty Mills. SMC had beaten the Zags four weeks earlier at McKeon Pavilion in an 89-85 OT thriller.

The Zags held a 2 point lead at the half, 38-36, then outscored the Gaels 50 - 40 in the second stanza to win, 88 - 76. Pargo scored 18 points in the second half after not taking a shot it the 1st half, including a thundering dunk with just under 13 minutes to play that brought the house down, putting the Zags up by 10, 58 - 48.

The wave of an exhilarating win stayed with me the rest of the weekend. It faded a bit on Sunday night as I unpacked my bag.

When I arrived at work on Monday morning, the thrill was gone.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-29-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: sp

Navigating this world can be tricky sometimes.

On New Year's Eve a few years back, my wife and I planned a day trip to Yosemite. We also decided to book a hotel in Mariposa to just cool out for a night.

We arrived in the park around nine am and were both surprised to see almost no traffic. It had snowed the night before and there was this perfect white blanket covering the valley floor, unsullied by humans. Upon entering Yosemite Valley, the road turns into a one way loop skirting the iconic scenes that come to mind when people all over the world picture the park. One of the first stops on this road is a trailhead to Bridalveil Falls. It's a short walk from the parking lot to the base of the falls so we decided to visit as sort of a warmup. The air was as clean and as sharp as a knife. Our breath billowing out in front of us, we started up the trail. To try to describe the beauty of the day and the magnificence of the surroundings is a fool's errand. We slipped, slid and fell on the icy path, laughing and totally baffled that we were the only ones experiencing a walk in the woods in the dead of winter to one of the most breathtaking of God's creations. We reached the base of the falls and watched the mist from the waterfall turn to snow, forming a drift covering granite boulders looking like albino humps on kneeling camels. After lingering for a while, we started back down the trail looking forward to the rest of the day. A perfect rest of the day.

Then the phone rang.

My father was in a rehab facility for the second time. The first time, he recovered nicely but this time wasn't progressing as well. As soon as I heard my sister's voice I knew the world had reset. She asked where I was. Ninety minutes from the hospital. Forever.
    Down the trail, to the car. A blur.

My father. Indestructible. Lying in a hospital bed. He couldn't speak, but he could hear me and acknowledge me. I didn't know what to say so I started describing what my wife and I had seen and done that morning. He nodded his head from time to time. All I was hoping for was for him to have some peace.

What do you do after your father passes? I guess everybody deals with it in their own way. My wife and I decided to go back up the hill and spend the night in the hotel room in Mariposa. The fireworks started around nine pm. People celebrating the coming new year. It struck me as odd that the world was celebrating and had no idea that my father passed away earlier that day. I was wondering how that could be. I wasn't angry that they were enjoying themselves, it just seemed strange.

The next morning I woke up. A new day. A new day in a New Year. With all the ups and downs that were to come. Just as it ever was.

Very poignant, MB1. Thanks for sharing that snapshot in time.

Driving to Vegas on Thursday 3/5. Coming back Tuesday 3/10 in time to watch the WCC Championship game. With any luck, I won't have to deal with jackwagon BYU fans. Not staying at a Marriott property this trip. . .

For weeks, the well-paid and wanna-be well-paid pundits of college basketball have been describing the 19-20 season as "crazy."

What if the craziness gets overwhelmed by mass hysteria due to the COVID-19 outbreak ? Could the NCAA tournament (CBI, NIT also) be cancelled as a matter of public health concern ? Might the games be played anyway without the crowds ?

The scenarios are mind-numbing.

"We're doing this for the greater good out of an abundance of caution. . .blah blah blah."

March Madness indeed.

For weeks, the well-paid and wanna-be well-paid pundits of college basketball have been describing the 19-20 season as "crazy."

What if the craziness gets overwhelmed by mass hysteria due to the COVID-19 outbreak ? Could the NCAA tournament (CBI, NIT also) be cancelled as a matter of public health concern ? Might the games be played anyway without the crowds ?

The scenarios are mind-numbing.

"We're doing this for the greater good out of an abundance of caution. . .blah blah blah."

March Madness indeed.
    I was wondering the same thing and half expected a thread on the mbb
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I was wondering the same thing and half expected a thread on the mbb
    There's a thread (that started at the MBB) in the General Basketball forum

There's a thread (that started at the MBB) in the General Basketball forum
    oh ok, I will check that out.
    Bring back the OCC

Safely in Vegas. Damn, that's a boring drive

The Orleans Arena now offers over-priced beers and cocktails.

I suspect Gonzaga fans will pump up the volume on Monday & Tuesday.

The Orleans Arena now offers over-priced beers and cocktails.

I suspect Gonzaga fans will pump up the volume on Monday & Tuesday.
    What's the over / under for fake IDs being used on Monday?
    So many brackets, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Akzag View Post
    What's the over / under for fake IDs being used on Monday?
    How many current students are actually able to make it to the tournament? Having never attended myself, I've always assumed this was more the wine and cheese alumni crowd.