• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bocco
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

(sonclusion

Twenty-five years ago, in England, six or eight wine glasses stood grouped by each person's plate at a dinner party, and they were used, not left idle and empty; to-day there are but three or four in the group, and the average guest sparingly uses about two of them. We have not adopted this new fashion yet, but we shall do it presently. We shall not think it out; we shall merely conform, and let it go at that. We get our notions and habits and opinions from outside influences; we do not have to study them out.

Our table manners, and company manners, and street manners change from time to time, but the changes are not reasoned out; we merely notice and conform. We are creatures of outside influences; as a rule we do not think, we only imitate. We cannot invent standards that will stick; what we mistake for standards are only fashions, and perishable. We may continue to admire them, but we drop the use of them. We notice this in literature. Shakespeare is a standard, and fifty years ago we used to write tragedies which we couldn't tell from -- from somebody else's; but we don't do it any more, now. Our prose standard, three quarters of a century ago, was ornate and diffuse; some authority or other changed it in the direction of compactness and simplicity, and conformity followed, without argument. The historical novel starts up suddenly, and sweeps the land. Everybody writes one, and the nation is glad. We had historical novels before; but nobody read them, and the rest of us conformed -- without reasoning it out. We are conforming in the other way, now, because it is another case of everybody.

The outside influences are always pouring in upon us, and we are always obeying their orders and accepting their verdicts. The Smiths like the new play; the Joneses go to see it, and they copy the Smith verdict. Morals, religions, politics, get their following from surrounding influences and atmospheres, almost entirely; not from study, not from thinking. A man must and will have his own approval first of all, in each and every moment and circumstance of his life -- even if he must repent of a self-approved act the moment after its commission, in order to get his self-approval again: but, speaking in general terms, a man's self-approval in the large concerns of life has its source in the approval of the peoples about him, and not in a searching personal examination of the matter. Mohammedans are Mohammedans because they are born and reared among that sect, not because they have thought it out and can furnish sound reasons for being Mohammedans; we know why Catholics are Catholics; why Presbyterians are Presbyterians; why Baptists are Baptists; why Mormons are Mormons; why thieves are thieves; why monarchists are monarchists; why Republicans are Republicans and Democrats, Democrats. We know it is a matter of association and sympathy, not reasoning and examination; that hardly a man in the world has an opinion upon morals, politics, or religion which he got otherwise than through his associations and sympathies. Broadly speaking, there are none but corn-pone opinions. And broadly speaking, corn-pone stands for self-approval. Self-approval is acquired mainly from the approval of other people. The result is conformity. Sometimes conformity has a sordid business interest -- the bread-and-butter interest -- but not in most cases, I think. I think that in the majority of cases it is unconscious and not calculated; that it is born of the human being's natural yearning to stand well with his fellows and have their inspiring approval and praise -- a yearning which is commonly so strong and so insistent that it cannot be effectually resisted, and must have its way. A political emergency brings out the corn-pone opinion in fine force in its two chief varieties -- the pocketbook variety, which has its origin in self-interest, and the bigger variety, the sentimental variety -- the one which can't bear to be outside the pale; can't bear to be in disfavor; can't endure the averted face and the cold shoulder; wants to stand well with his friends, wants to be smiled upon, wants to be welcome, wants to hear the precious words, "He's on the right track!" Uttered, perhaps by an ass, but still an ass of high degree, an ass whose approval is gold and diamonds to a smaller ass, and confers glory and honor and happiness, and membership in the herd. For these gauds many a man will dump his life-long principles into the street, and his conscience along with them. We have seen it happen. In some millions of instances.

Men think they think upon great political questions, and they do; but they think with their party, not independently; they read its literature, but not that of the other side; they arrive at convictions, but they are drawn from a partial view of the matter in hand and are of no particular value. They swarm with their party, they feel with their party, they are happy in their party's approval; and where the party leads they will follow, whether for right and honor, or through blood and dirt and a mush of mutilated morals.

In our late canvass half of the nation passionately believed that in silver lay salvation, the other half as passionately believed that that way lay destruction. Do you believe that a tenth part of the people, on either side, had any rational excuse for having an opinion about the matter at all? I studied that mighty question to the bottom -- came out empty. Half of our people passionately believe in high tariff, the other half believe otherwise. Does this mean study and examination, or only feeling? The latter, I think. I have deeply studied that question, too -- and didn't arrive. We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking. And out of it we get an aggregation which we consider a boon. Its name is Public Opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles everything. Some think it the Voice of God.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Comment

• Reno - I haven't kept up on FOO much lately, so I am tardy with my condolences about Cooper. I am a dog guy who very, very much understands the pain you are going through. Our oldest Golden (sweet, sweet Indy) is now 13 1/2 years old, and has slowed way down.

Each time we have had to put a dog down, we think "Never again!" But the joy and unconditional love a dog gives us overcomes the pain of losing a dog, and we keep adopting. I am sure that, in time, another dog needing a good home will steal your heart.

Peace! Dick

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Thanks for those good thoughts, El Voce.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• TerpZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Comment

• GPGUgrad
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Why did the Europeans dislike George W Bush?

His accent?

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Mrs. RenoZag suffered a hemorrhagic stroke and underwent successful emergency surgery to deal with a hematoma "the size of a sausage" to quote her surgeon. He didn't say if it was a brat or ballpark frank. . .

Add her to your prayer lists. . .this was a pretty serious deal. Sole heir is coping well and I'm trying to stay in control. . .

Check in with 'y'all as conditions allow or warrant.

Reno
              Last edited by RenoZag; 10-12-2014, 10:16 AM.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• TerpZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                Mrs. RenoZag suffered a hemorrhagic stroke and underwent successful emrgency surgery to deal with a hematoma "the size of a sausage" to quote her surgeon. He didn't say if it was a brat or ballpark frank. . .

Add her to your prayer lists. . .this was a pretty serious deal. Sole heir is coping well and I'm trying to stay in control. . .

Check in with 'y'all as conditions allow or warrant.

Reno
                Reno, our thoughts and prayers this evening are with Mrs. RenoZag. The entire extended RenoZag family are in our thoughts as well. May God bless your wife and your family.

Comment

• Rangerzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Reno, prayers for Mrs RZ.
                  Your plate i overflowing. Prayers for your coping skills also. This is getting to be remarkably more than fair!
                  And a few more prayers to boot.

May you find peace soon.
                  rz
                  "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                  "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                  I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• TheBeast
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Many good vibes and mental-guy-hugs being sent out into the universe, Reno.
                    I wear a helmet while internetting.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Bocco
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

you and mrs reno are in all of our prayers.
                      The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Comment

• GPGUgrad
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Reno sounds like you've been having some tough times lately.

My prayers and best wishes to you and your family.

Comment

• RenoZag
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Thanks for the support, PM's, etc.

This has been a Job-like string of patience (and sanity) testing events and the sole heir and I will take all the well-wishes and prayers we can get to help us and Mrs. RZ get through this.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Good health, blessings and peace to you all.
                            Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

No new developments today. Mrs RZ is being kept in a fairly sedated state and her caregivers are monitoring closely a slight post-op fever. MRI indicates 95% of the hematoma was excised by the surgery. No indications yet of movement on her left side. She's still in ICU and on a ventilator.

Quick note to all: If you're not familiar with the symptoms of stroke, check this LINK some time.

The Mrs. was only complaining of a headache; the other outward signs (droopy cheek, couldn't smile, difficulty looking straight ahead)were my observations. . knowing a few of the warning signs compelled me to get her to the Emergency Room and within reach of the professionals (and diagnostic tools) that saved her life.

Peace,

Comment

• Rangerzag
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Continued prayers for you and yours.
                                "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                                "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                                I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

Working...
                                X