Page 180 of 180 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180
Results 4,476 to 4,485 of 4485

Thread: Reno's Place

I visited the Rock n Roll HOF in 2002 for a college field trip. Honestly, I've been disenchanted with it ever since because their big main floor exhibit at the time was MTV (but the main focus was clothing from music videos). It was very very heavy on things from the more recent past of MTV; Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Boy Bands. I didn't go all the way to Cleveland to see things my fellow high schoolers had been talking about the year before.
    I guess I'm of the opinion that if they display (and I mean it's sadly only going to be a matter of time before they induct them too) the really saccharine pop "rock" groups then I don't have an issue with hip hop or rap being included.

A former GUB poster commented on BobZag's passing this way ( via FB)

"I hope God has him standing tall and employing all the faculties heaven allows. IMO, he's earned a spot where those who really suffered throughout their lives are made whole. I hope it exists. And Bob is its leader. RIP."

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    A former GUB poster commented on BobZag's passing this way ( via FB)

"I hope God has him standing tall and employing all the faculties heaven allows. IMO, he's earned a spot where those who really suffered throughout their lives are made whole. I hope it exists. And Bob is its leader. RIP."
    Thank you for sharing that.

I never got to meet him.

I saw him at games, but never felt it my place to just go introduce myself.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default 1/26/2020

The sudden tragic loss of cultural icons hits us in ways that are hard to verbalize. Some of those icons transcend their fields of endeavor and their passing takes on a bookmark for the generations most affected by the news.

Folks of my vintage -- born in the late 1950's -- absorbed the news of 11/22/63 differently than our parents or grandparents. People born in the late 80's and 90's undoubtedly have a different view from mine of the world. That younger, different reaction to this latest instance of greatness passing too soon is informed by a world view as valid as any. 1/26/20 will become a cultural bookmark in a similar fashion.

When I learned the news yesterday, my mind flashed to where I was when I learned of the Challenger explosion. Others might have been reminded of Buddy Holley, Patsy Cline, Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, Thurman Munson, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Sadly, the list of names we've said farewell to via tragic, unexpected departures from the floodlights is a long one. Time gives these disruptions to us at random. They chip away at our well-being, unsettling our lives' equilibrium in ways others cannot truly fathom. We share our grief collectively while wearing our individual sorrow.

If you're a parent, your heart aches for fathers and mothers left behind. If you're a sibling, you mourn for brothers and sisters robbed by cruel fate of the chance once again to say you love them, to give them a hug, or to play games together. If you're a friend you wish for one more chance to feel their presence. If you're a fan, you celebrate the good feelings, lasting impressions, and joyful moments brought by their performances.

May the victims rest in peace.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-27-2020 at 04:18 PM.

On my walk this afternoon I saw a little boy run from the front porch to the driveway. He was happy and excited, smiling like he’d been promised ice cream.

From a parked pick-up truck, a man emerged and was only two strides towards the boy when the little one shouted “Daddy, Daddy” before jumping into his father’s embrace. Dad carried his chattering son up the driveway into the house as I walked by.

Half a block later, coming down a slight incline, was a toddler walking with the bravery of his first well-executed sock-footed walk. His smile showed his momentum while his eyes reflected amazement. He was providing his own narration, a lilting tone that recalled a “vroom, vroom” caption from a Sunday comic. Behind was a laughing grandmother who looked slightly surprised her young ward was doing so well and hadn’t face planted on his self-propelled foray on the neighborhood sidewalk.

Two moments of clarity away from the noise.

Well, hell, I guess we're going to find out if the Zags have enough gas in the tank for the 2nd half against the Dons. Wooly, Corey, and Joel need to step up.

Dons up 43 - 35. 20 minutes to play some D and make some buckets. . .

Token post pad

There are a lot of reasons to think society is going downhill, but the fact that "Paranormal On Camera" is a show on cable is probably right up there.

UFOs, of course, are totally rationale and fine - according to the U.S. gov - but ghosts and dudes walking on 4 legs are ridiculous.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

On ABC News yesterday, a story was aired regarding a young athlete from Stratford, OK, who was saved by a heart rate alert from his Apple Watch. Some of the story's footage included snapshots of the young man in various athletic uniforms. I thought the Bulldog logo on the uniforms (and cheerleader unis) looked familiar. . .

The school website: https://www.stratford.k12.ok.us/

Default Other Games - Sunday - 02. 23 . 20

Top 25 / OOC Foes / Notables

9:00am

#9 Penn State @ Indiana . FS1

10:00am

Wichita State @ Cincinnati . ESPN
    Rutgers @ Wisconsin . BTN
    Milwaukee @ Detroit Mercy

11:00am

St. John's @ #16 Seton Hall . CBS
    Southern Illinois @ Northern Iowa . ESPNU

1:00pm

#7 Maryland @ #25 Ohio State . CBS
    #21 Butler @ #15 Creighton . FS1
    New Mexico @ Boise State . CBSSN

3:00pm

USC @ Utah . ESPNU
    Mimi @ Notre Dame . ACCN

5:00pm

Stanford @ Washington State . ESPNU

Full Slate: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...00223/group/50
    Last edited by RenoZag; Today at 03:59 PM.