Page 103 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 4714

Thread: Reno's Place

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Back from 4 days in the woods. Catching up on the news re: celebrity obituaries.

Billy Mayes. Farah. Michael. Quite the pop culture trifecta.
    It appears you didn't miss much.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

The Reno Campsite @ Silver Creek

The Million Dollar view for 15 bucks a night. . .
    Last edited by RenoZag; 06-04-2010 at 09:59 AM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Good stuff, Reno!

Your camp is better appointed than some of my friends' kitchens. And the view...

So which is more difficult - the day before or the day after vacation?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Good stuff, Reno!

Your camp is better appointed than some of my friends' kitchens. And the view...

So which is more difficult - the day before or the day after vacation?
    The Day after is more difficult; On the Day Before at least at that point in time you have something to look forward to. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Default Another Vacation Photo

From the North Grove Trail at Calaveras Big Trees State Park:

nice pix. looks like a good spot to relax. lothar is pretty sure that you also wish you were still on vacation.
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

fwiw, lothar's view while eating lunch last wednesday:

youtube - "The Runner"

I do wish I were on vacation, Lothar, but at least this is only a 4 day work week.

OTOH: The rest of the Hqs personnel are moving in from Reno over the next two days. The peace & quiet will be gone forever.

There's a slight problem in the White House garden

So what is sludge, really? A stinking, sticky, dark-grey to black paste, it's everything homeowners, hospitals and industries put down their toilets and drains. Every material-turned-waste that our society produces (including prescription drugs and the sweepings of slaughterhouses), and that wastewater treatment plants are capable of removing from sewage, becomes sludge. The end product is a concentrated mass of heavy metals and carcinogenic, teratogenic, and hormone-disrupting chemicals, replete with antibiotic-resistant bacteria. There are some 80,000 to 90,000 industrial chemicals, including a host of dioxin-like deadly substances, which are allowed to be present in sludge under current EPA rules. What's worse, there's no way of knowing which toxic chemicals and heavy metals are entering the wastewater stream at any given time or in what concentrations. Sludge is always an unknown quantity, and therefore, assessing whether sludge is safe to use for growing food, is -- in practice -- impossible.
    Recently the National Park Service discovered that the White House lawn, where the garden was planted, contains highly elevated levels of lead -- 93 parts per million. It's enough lead for anyone planning to have children pick vegetables in that garden or eat produce from it to reconsider their plans: lead is highly toxic to children's developing organs and brain functions -- however, it's below the 400 ppm the EPA suggests is a threat to human health.

What caused this alarming contamination of the White House lawn? Some news outlets speculated that residue from lead paint might have caused the toxicity. However an article running on Mother Jones online has a more probable explanation. During the 1990s, the Clintons agreed to have the South Lawn of the White House "fertilized" with ComPRO, a commercially available "compost made from a nearby wastewater plant's solid effluent, a.k.a. sewage sludge."
    Looks like ore s--- to blame on Bill & Hilary
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-03-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Smile A Girl From Homer, AK, Weighs in on Sarah

I have said Sarah Palin's political ambition combined with her intellect is like putting a jet engine on a golf cart; lots of horse power and no steering capabilities. Today she proved it.

Alaskans pride ourselves on our frontier spirit, but this isn't what we meant. There is much work ahead to put the drama behind us and carry on to the betterment of our state.

That's just how "mavericky" we are.
    Story Link

So we're not going to have Sarah Palin to kick around any more !?!

Damn!

She'll rack up millions in speaker's fees, she'll write a "tell all" book, she may even land a spot on Faux News.

But at the end of the day, she is what she is: a hillbilly from Alaska. A one-time sportscaster with a telegenic face, a nice pair of gams, and the intellectual acumen of a box of rocks who did amazing things with a teleprompter, a wink, and an upscale 5th Avenue wardrobe.

She should slink back to Wasilla, put her kid on the short bus to school every day, put in her miles on the treadmill, and count her blessings that no one will ever take her seriously again.

Sarah Palin has had her "15 minutes" in the spotlight. Like Susan Boyle, she was a one-trick pony who shriveled under the blaze of the media spotlight. History will judge her political career as an aberration, a case of "local gal strikes out in the big show."
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-04-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Talking

I agree.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

No Reno it is Fox News not Faux News. Just a simply spelling mistake, you must of been in a hurry .
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-04-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofZagineer View Post
    No Reno it is Fox News not Faux News. Just a simply spelling mistake, you must of been in a hurry .
    Whoops ! Hit the edit button instead of the quote button. . .

Thanks for your service to the Nation, SOZ. Mine was so long ago it probably doesn't count any more.

1st AD, 1st Cav. . .the rest was REMF desk work

Have a good 4th of July

youtube - "The Runner"

That's a 5 STAR link, Lothar. Great subtlety and clever film-making. Thank you.

Reno heads to Valdosta, GA, this week for work. Monday / Thursday are the travel days. . .there are no easy ways to get to Valdosta from Reno. Will have to make connection in Chicago (MDW) on the way out and in Las Vegas on the way back. . .

On Monday, I leave Reno at 9:15am PDST; I will arrive at my hotel in Valdosta at 1:00am EDST on Tuesday morning. . .long day of travel.

Last edited by RenoZag; 07-11-2009 at 09:57 AM.

The current version of the Mission Mountain Wood Band will be playing in Reno a week from today as part of a benefit for the Northern Nevada Food Bank.

LINK

Default What I'm listening to. . .