X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I thought Few would be pissed about the video. I think he feels like Wiltjer broke an unwritten rule.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
      I was there, too.

And, the weird thing was, I don't think it was the loss so much as the way the team looked getting the loss, and I don't think it was so much how they "looked" in terms of play so much as how they looked in the eyes and facial expressions. We looked like the younger, more afraid team on the court.

I have one theory. The team knew darn well it hadn't been playing well. It knew darn well that BYU was red-hot. That combined with feeling like senior night was an absolute must win, put a pit in their stomach from the very beginning. They began the game with a few bad plays, shots that just didn't fall (but weren't far off) and this worry just grew. It grew until the last 4 minutes when it seemed like they just decided to play with reckless abandon - still, they got close more b/c BYU tightened up (missed FTs) than it was they played a lot better.

That's my current feeling.

And, I've got to say, that doesn't bode well for the big tournament. If the pit in the stomach came about b/c of feeling that Senior night was "must win" - how are they going to respond to games that truly are - must win? The hope that I have is that they play so much better in the WCC that they don't go into it worrying about the must win aspect.

That sound right to anyone.
      It certainly did at the time your wrote it. Strong post.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• TheBeast
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

what is this video people are talking about?
        I wear a helmet while internetting.
        sigpic

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TheBeast View Post
          what is this video people are talking about?

Few has made it clear he wasn't too pleased about it. Has said a couple of times since that twitter hit the airwaves that what happens in the locker room is supposed to stay in the locker room., etc.

think the world has moved on. . .
          Last edited by RenoZag; 03-28-2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

All I can say is my favorite team has a chance to go to the final four. Here in Missouri I get a lot of bashing for bein a zags fan ... Tomorrow if we somehow skin the cat, all the years will be worth the pain. Heck it already was. This just gives me some leverage. Let's do this!
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

The Lady Zags vs. Tenn game feels like a slow motion replay of UCLA - GU 2006. . .a large lead frittered away. Now a one point game and the Zags have not gotten a decent trip on the Offensive side for several minutes.

Maybe the Spokane Arena crowd can will them to a victory

I pray to God the men's team did not watch that meltdown. Hate for them to go into their biggest game with all of that bad mojo fresh on their minds.

So sue me.
              Last edited by RenoZag; 03-28-2015, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Note to self: Vodka Collins in the right quantity will get you into useless arguments. . .

Comment

• RenoZag
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

When the Zags won the pre-season NIT we had our first glance of how well they would do on the big stage. I was curious as to whether or not success in that event was a precursor to success the following Spring in the Big Dance. This is what I found:

Since 1985, the Pre-Season NIT Winner has gone on to the National Championship twice (Duke) and advanced to the Final Four five times.

Beat the Blue Devils !

Comment

• RenoZag
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Feeling confident about the Zags chances. Glad the team feels that way too. They will not be intimidated.

Comment

• RenoZag
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

For fans of Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team the final buzzer has sounded and the last box score of the season has been registered. The latest chapter in Gonzaga’s basketball journey ended in Houston at the hands of the Duke Blue Devils who stopped our Zags from reaching the Final Four.

Following the Zags through the pre-season hype and hopes of anticipation through the start of practice, the out of conference schedule, league games, and the not-to-be-taken-for-granted NCAA tournament is my last vestige of youthful exuberance. Now, in my late 50’s, life’s realities, adjustments, and enthusiasms have altered my view of the sporting world landscape. There’s not as much time to devote to fan hood and at times it feels a trivial pursuit when compared to the obligations of family, work, and health. These competing interests demand a chosen pass time that gives the greatest return on time invested and that’s why I follow the Zags.

Thanks to the members of the GUB for sharing their passion for Gonzaga basketball in this forum. Your insights, observations, and opinions shape this fan’s view of a wonderful game played by men who represent the name on the front of the jersey with distinction.

Comment

• former1dog
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                        For fans of Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team the final buzzer has sounded and the last box score of the season has been registered. The latest chapter in Gonzaga’s basketball journey ended in Houston at the hands of the Duke Blue Devils who stopped our Zags from reaching the Final Four.

Following the Zags through the pre-season hype and hopes of anticipation through the start of practice, the out of conference schedule, league games, and the not-to-be-taken-for-granted NCAA tournament is my last vestige of youthful exuberance. Now, in my late 50’s, life’s realities, adjustments, and enthusiasms have altered my view of the sporting world landscape. There’s not as much time to devote to fan hood and at times it feels a trivial pursuit when compared to the obligations of family, work, and health. These competing interests demand a chosen pass time that gives the greatest return on time invested and that’s why I follow the Zags.

Thanks to the members of the GUB for sharing their passion for Gonzaga basketball in this forum. Your insights, observations, and opinions shape this fan’s view of a wonderful game played by men who represent the name on the front of the jersey with distinction.
                        Today is my 45th birthday and I consider your fine post to be a very nice gift. Thanks!

now, I'm going to go chase a little white ball around a great big pasture.

God bless.

Comment

• RenoZag
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                          Today is my 45th birthday and I consider your fine post to be a very nice gift. Thanks!

now, I'm going to go chase a little white ball around a great big pasture.

God bless.
                          Hit 'em long and straight. And Happy @#! birthday!

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2013

I posted this on my facebook this morning, and thought I would share it with some of you.

Kentucky is about to win its 9th Championship and go undefeated, Duke has its millionth Final Four since I have been alive, Izzo brings magic to the table every year in the Big Dance.... and yet NOTHING compares to the journey of Gonzaga basketball. Being the Hunted every night, putting consecutive win streaks on the line, keeping tournament hopes on the line, where one loss damages your seeding to the point you wanna pull out your hair, and all your conference foes want to do is beat GONZAGA. People say escaping those teams makes you look bad. Its all about winning, especially when nobody wants to do anything except beat you. Gonzaga has overcame all of this to make it back to the Elite Eight. Over the past 4 seasons we have had seasons of 26 wins, 32 wins, 29 wins, and 35 wins. And there isn't a school I would rather be associated with. Putting everything on the line every single night. Schools like Kansas (8 Losses) and Carolina (10 losses) can all lose a bunch and still have a high seed. That's not fun to me. Fun is having to only lose 2-3 games to get a high seed. Fun is having to sustain excellence on the court to ensure that a common goal is reached. Fun is Gonzaga Basketball.
                            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• former1dog
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Hit 'em long and straight.

Well, I hit one long and straight. At the end of the day, I enjoyed myself.

And Happy @#! birthday!

You remembered my special birthday greeting!!!

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                                You remembered my special birthday greeting!!!
                                Happy !#$*%^ birthday, f1!

We're the same age, brother. We should sip beers. Get your fanny up to Spokane. Almost patio season at Phish's abode.
                                Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

Working...
                                X