Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: USA Soccer compared to Zag Basketball

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default USA Soccer compared to Zag Basketball

    I wonder if anyone was listening to ESPN radio at about 6:15 CDT this morning. Colin Cowherd joined Mike & Mike to discuss yesterday's blowout in the World Cup. The conversation turned to where USA Soccer, and where they fit in the overall scheme of things. Colin chimed in with (paraphrased) "USA Soccer is not that far behind the elite soccer powers. They're like Gonzaga basketball: good coach with a good system. Get them a star like Kentucky has, and they'll win a national championship."

    Hmmm...Wiltjer?

    The conversation continued: Brazil = Kentucky, Argentina = Duke, etc. I'm one that pays attention to soccer only during the WC, but the outlook for USA Soccer is bright. Klinsman was a part of the group that transformed the German program, and millions of kids play soccer today.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I wonder if anyone was listening to ESPN radio at about 6:15 CDT this morning. Colin Cowherd joined Mike & Mike to discuss yesterday's blowout in the World Cup. The conversation turned to where USA Soccer, and where they fit in the overall scheme of things. Colin chimed in with (paraphrased) "USA Soccer is not that far behind the elite soccer powers. They're like Gonzaga basketball: good coach with a good system. Get them a star like Kentucky has, and they'll win a national championship."



    Hmmm...Wiltjer?

    The conversation continued: Brazil = Kentucky, Argentina = Duke, etc. I'm one that pays attention to soccer only during the WC, but the outlook for USA Soccer is bright. Klinsman was a part of the group that transformed the German program, and millions of kids play soccer today.
    Before the World Cup again I think it was the Wall Street Journal that assigned a different college basketball team to every country. Maybe it was ESPN. All that empty spaces Is hard to fill.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Or more like, "a star like Kentucky HAD".

    Kyle Wiltjer is, I believe, our first Burger Boy, even though he did not come here straight away. But I believe he will have a season like Olynyk's breakout season, minus the 3 game suspension to start the season of course. With Shem, Gary and Kevin being seasoned veterans, this team will be REALLY good.

    Another 30 wins? Another #1 ranking? Final four? All possible with this team coming up and we have only 4 more months to wait!
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spokannnnnnnnnnne
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Andy Glockner (SI cb/soccer writer) made that same comparison after the loss to Belgium.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Wasn't Micah Downs a Burger Boy?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    414

    Default

    MD was McD AA--you're right UABZag

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Not sure why anyone is excited to be compared to USA soccer. They are clearly a tier 3 or 4 team (at best) and have a long way to go to be truly competitive.
    This is team with a losing record in the World Cup that was thoroughly dominated in the round of 16 by a country of 3M people in Belgium.

    It would be more apt to compare Gonzaga to a country like Belgium that is punching well above its weight-class. Team USA should be compared to a school that has massive reasources but is mediocre at best - UW?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Gonzaga is far closer to winning a championship than the USA is to winning the World Cup.

    Talent wise this year, the Zags SHOULD be able to play with anybody. The USA isn't even close to having the technical ability of the big boys, which makes our run this year even more impressive IMO.

    This is coming from a big US fan by the way. My brother was at US-Ghana, says Johnny Brooks' goal was the best sports moment of his life.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,998

    Default

    Back in the 80's, my club team was playing in one of those weekend tourneys somewhere in southern Oregon where you play three games on Saturday and two on Sunday. Teams travel in from Portland and the Bay area, Eugene and nor Cal, so everybody goes to one bar Sat nite.

    There was talk about the state of the American game, and a British coach said, "today's players will never be world class, but their sons will". Seemed reasonable at the time, but 30 yrs later it hasn't worked out that way. Someone on another board recently explained it pretty well imo: "Kids in other countries start kicking a ball when they can walk. American kids start when mom drives them to their first practice in first grade. Too late".

    Belgium totally outclassed the US team. With a mere mortal in goal, that game is likely something like 4-0. One superstar on the US side really wouldn't matter, without another half dozen world class talents around him. It's not like basketball where you can iso Jordan or Kobe and let them go one on one. I don't think Cowherd or the Mikes are really qualified to give any opinions about soccer. The US team is like AA baseball if the Germans are the Yankees. They're not that close, and I think the analogy to GU basketball is kind of disrespectful to GU. Just sports babble.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    Gonzaga is far closer to winning a NCAA championship than USA soccer a world cup. I don't even feel like that's a bold statement even given our luck in the tournament.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    14,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Back in the 80's, my club team was playing in one of those weekend tourneys somewhere in southern Oregon where you play three games on Saturday and two on Sunday. Teams travel in from Portland and the Bay area, Eugene and nor Cal, so everybody goes to one bar Sat nite.

    There was talk about the state of the American game, and a British coach said, "today's players will never be world class, but their sons will". Seemed reasonable at the time, but 30 yrs later it hasn't worked out that way. Someone on another board recently explained it pretty well imo: "Kids in other countries start kicking a ball when they can walk. American kids start when mom drives them to their first practice in first grade. Too late".

    Belgium totally outclassed the US team. With a mere mortal in goal, that game is likely something like 4-0. One superstar on the US side really wouldn't matter, without another half dozen world class talents around him. It's not like basketball where you can iso Jordan or Kobe and let them go one on one. I don't think Cowherd or the Mikes are really qualified to give any opinions about soccer. The US team is like AA baseball if the Germans are the Yankees. They're not that close, and I think the analogy to GU basketball is kind of disrespectful to GU. Just sports babble.
    Most clubs on Long Island start at U4... way before 1st grade.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Gonzaga is far closer to winning a NCAA championship than USA soccer a world cup. I don't even feel like that's a bold statement even given our luck in the tournament.
    Talk to me when we've reached a FF at least.

    I don't think the analogy is that far off.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    14,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    ..This is team with a losing record in the World Cup that was thoroughly dominated in the round of 16 by a country of 3M people in Belgium...
    What does soccer compete with in Belgium? Oh, that's right, pretty much nothing. There is no baseball, football, lacrosse, etc. If you are basically the only sport in town... you get kids hooked early.

    Volume of people isn't the solution. Sometimes at a higher level it is a hindrance in that the physical size makes it difficult for top players to play with each other on a more regular basis.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    What does soccer compete with in Belgium? Oh, that's right, pretty much nothing. There is no baseball, football, lacrosse, etc. If you are basically the only sport in town... you get kids hooked early.

    Volume of people isn't the solution. Sometimes at a higher level it is a hindrance in that the physical size makes it difficult for top players to play with each other on a more regular basis.
    Cycling is huge in Belgium as are motor sports. Tennis and golf big too.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Cycling is huge in Belgium as are motor sports. Tennis and golf big too.
    I think LongIslandZagfan would be suprised to learn that football (soccer) is not the most watched sport on TV in Belgium.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    I think LongIslandZagfan would be suprised to learn that football (soccer) is not the most watched sport on TV in Belgium.
    It is on Long Island

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Cycling is huge in Belgium as are motor sports. Tennis and golf big too.
    Individual sports, though. What athlete in those sports would make good soccer players? Maybe a tennis player or cyclist? Basketball and (American) football gobble up all the very best athletes USA has. Lance Armstrong, Andy Roddick, Greg LeMond, Mario Andretti, John McEnroe, Pete Sampras, Dale Earnhardt, Tiger Woods, Bubba Watson... Who would be a good soccer player?

    If size of country matters, Australia, Russia and China should be dominating. Instead, tiny countries like Holland, Belgium, Serbia, England, Croatia, Costa Rica, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Chile, Paraguay, Bosnia, Japan, South Korea, Portugal, New Zealand and little African countries have done well in this or past World Cups.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UABZag View Post
    Wasn't Micah Downs a Burger Boy?
    Yes you are right! My bad, I didn't think long enough before I posted that. Micah was great for Gonzaga, but I really think Wiltjer will have a huge season.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Uruguay also a tiny country, at least population wise. 3.4 million people, or roughly the same population of the Saint Louis metro area.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,249

    Default

    Let's hope the Zags are Die Mannschaft this year.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Let's hope the Zags are Die Mannschaft this year.
    Agree.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    Not sure why anyone is excited to be compared to USA soccer. They are clearly a tier 3 or 4 team (at best) and have a long way to go to be truly competitive.
    This is team with a losing record in the World Cup that was thoroughly dominated in the round of 16 by a country of 3M people in Belgium.

    It would be more apt to compare Gonzaga to a country like Belgium that is punching well above its weight-class. Team USA should be compared to a school that has massive reasources but is mediocre at best - UW?

    This is such an ill informed comment. I literally don't know where to begin.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Most clubs on Long Island start at U4... way before 1st grade.
    Do the U4 kids wear those special "pull ups" for shorts, you know, the ones with elastic around the legs, too?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Let's hope the Zags are Die Mannschaft this year.
    Wilcher gets my vote for the Thomas Muller role, i.e. leading scorer.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    171

    Default

    The National team was one injury in Jozy Altidore away from potentially getting to the quarterfinals and beyond. The team is ranked in the top 15 in the world, with football & basketball consistently taking some of our best athletes. Put our best NFL athletes into soccer from birth, like you get in the top countries in the world who don't have a competing sport, see how we do then.

    All things being equal, we lost to Germany 1-0, how did Brazil do against them? In the Klinsmann era the US has consistently been competitive against the world's best. FIFA ranks the US at #13, we draw to #4 Portugal in the last second, lose 1-0 to #2 Germany, beat a Ghana team we should beat, and give away the game to #11 Belgium, sounds very Gonzaga-like to me. I just don't see how those most recent results make us "AA baseball". What AA baseball team is getting those type of results?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •