Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Owning Washington

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utsalady Bay
    Posts
    5,062

    Default Owning Washington

    from Art Thiel:
    Boise and its college are engaged in mainlining the same exotic drug of sports glory that Spokane is getting from Gonzaga's rise to prominence in college basketball.

    The inland cities, always begging for scraps when the rest of the world looks at the Northwest, have found an easy, cheap, pollution-free way to get attention. The best part of the high comes in beating the University of Washington, the one-time regional sports colossus now known as a volleyball school.
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/thiel/330723_thiel07.html
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

    Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    110

    Default Hmmm....

    "We know a scandal, a violation or a major problem can destroy 10 years worth of good work overnight. We want to win as bad as anybody but don't want to cut corners."

    Very odd how the star running back works for one of the biggest Boise State boosters...

    Very odd, indeed.

  3. #3

    Default

    Nah... that's not that uncommon. Lots of boosters the country over are local business owners, and lots of them hire athletes. It's not against the rules as long as the kids actually do work, but sometimes they can get in hot water, like what happened at Oklahoma with Rhett Bomar.

    But really, you can't see that and automatically be suspicious.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    696

    Red face or

    Billy Joe Hobert

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Near Nature, Near Perfect
    Posts
    2,166

    Default

    As much as I'm not a Husky guy, I really can't stomach BJC (Boise Junior College) and their smurffy fetish.

    This weekend I'll be chanting "Go Huskies".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,958

    Default

    Go Broncos. And keep irritating the hell out of the BCS snobs.

    Sorry, spud.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  7. #7
    El Voce Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Go Broncos. And keep irritating the hell out of the BCS snobs.

    Sorry, spud.
    Bob -- I'm telling your brother! No self-respective Vandal-type person could possibly root for the blue and orange. I guarantee you that my friend MT down in Boise will be pulling for UW this weekend.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    W. Richland, WA.
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spudzag View Post
    As much as I'm not a Husky guy, I really can't stomach BJC (Boise Junior College) and their smurffy fetish.

    This weekend I'll be chanting "Go Huskies".
    As a former Vandal, no arguement here. Anybody but Boise.
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utsalady Bay
    Posts
    5,062

    Default

    No self-respective Vandal-type person could possibly root for the blue and orange
    .

    Normally that is true.

    But take it from this Vandal (who owns a BSUcks tee shirt).

    The smurf field is affront to the senses and sensibilities.

    I still think BJC is a high school with ash trays.

    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

    Go Broncos! But just tomorrow.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

    Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    .

    Normally that is true.

    But take it from this Vandal (who owns a BSUcks tee shirt).

    The smurf field is affront to the senses and sensibilities.

    I still think BJC is a high school with ash trays.

    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

    Go Broncos! But just tomorrow.
    I was trying to adjust my darn set while I was watching the game last weekend!!!

    After some comparisons, I of course, discovered it was indeed the field and found it utterly obnoxious.

    This is a toss-up for me - Smurf or Barney??? Don't think I even care this time.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Near Nature, Near Perfect
    Posts
    2,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    .

    Normally that is true.

    But take it from this Vandal (who owns a BSUcks tee shirt).

    The smurf field is affront to the senses and sensibilities.

    I still think BJC is a high school with ash trays.

    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

    Go Broncos! But just tomorrow.
    Sorry no way, I'm no where near that desperate, BCS or not.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,958

    Default

    Can't root for a wine and cheese crowd of elitists and their yachts. Just can't. My brother did his damage to BSU, namely a 31-0 Vandal shutout of the Broncos in Boise, so I'll go with the school that gives the BCS the biggest pain. Go Broncos.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Can't root for a wine and cheese crowd of elitists and their yachts. Just can't. My brother did his damage to BSU, namely a 31-0 Vandal shutout of the Broncos in Boise, so I'll go with the school that gives the BCS the biggest pain. Go Broncos.
    Elitist? UW is a state school, which means I can afford to send my kids there (2 so far). GU is pretty expensive for us middle-class types.

    * braces for the inevitable rep bombs *

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,727

    Default

    I think BZ is thinking of the perception of most UW fans that they are elite.
    Seem like this spills over to those fancy boats on the East end of the stadium the TV cams always show......wine, cheese and who knows what else!! You know the "life is just a breeze group". Thise images tend to sully all of UW I think. Only takes a few of those pix and the whole place gets mud on its skirts.

    State schools usually are affordable, middle tuition types with great educations to be had if kids pursue the possibilities. Unfortuately, the media portrayals sort of ignore the education aspect and emphasize the "elite" concept. I don't we'll ever see that crowd of conspicuous consumption being imaged in Spokane during Zag games. And yet, the Zags outperform 95% or more of the BCS schools.

    It might be the "work ethic" here at GU that seems SO attractive to the rest of the country because they're like the Zags. No elite pretense......just performance on and off the court. I think that's like things should be. Sound fundamentals seem to win in the end IMO...not the "yacht" or the "you can have it all" culture glorified by the media. I do agree though, the tuition at GU is rapidly approaching the "off scale" level for most people.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern Spokanistan
    Posts
    2,074

    Default MD I'm glad you said it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I think BZ is thinking of the perception of most UW fans that they are elite.
    Seem like this spills over to those fancy boats on the East end of the stadium the TV cams always show......wine, cheese and who knows what else!! You know the "life is just a breeze group". Thise images tend to sully all of UW I think. Only takes a few of those pix and the whole place gets mud on its skirts.

    State schools usually are affordable, middle tuition types with great educations to be had if kids pursue the possibilities. Unfortuately, the media portrayals sort of ignore the education aspect and emphasize the "elite" concept. I don't we'll ever see that crowd of conspicuous consumption being imaged in Spokane during Zag games. And yet, the Zags outperform 95% or more of the BCS schools.

    It might be the "work ethic" here at GU that seems SO attractive to the rest of the country because they're like the Zags. No elite pretense......just performance on and off the court. I think that's like things should be. Sound fundamentals seem to win in the end IMO...not the "yacht" or the "you can have it all" culture glorified by the media. I do agree though, the tuition at GU is rapidly approaching the "off scale" level for most people.
    GU's tuition is approaching ridiculous! I know, cost are higher, etc but I would like to see the endowments and scholarships pushed as much as possible (and I'm an alum, so I see the attempts at fundraising) so that local kids and local Spokane/North Idaho families can get their kids in there as much as possible for as long as possible, from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds. Gonzaga has been very much a Spokane institution for a very long time.
    How to ride a horse:
    Step One - Mount the horse.
    Step Two - Stay mounted ...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 94zagoldwomanasherdsmen View Post
    GU's tuition is approaching ridiculous! I know, cost are higher, etc but I would like to see the endowments and scholarships pushed as much as possible (and I'm an alum, so I see the attempts at fundraising) so that local kids and local Spokane/North Idaho families can get their kids in there as much as possible for as long as possible, from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds. Gonzaga has been very much a Spokane institution for a very long time.

    The wife and I are determined to get our young daughter enrolled at Gonzaga a few years from now. We may get a little sticker shock along the way, but we still plan on it.
    I miss Mike Hart

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane WA.
    Posts
    2,129

    Default Without a Doubt!

    Go Boise State! Anyone but the Fuskies!
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

  18. #18
    hondo46 Guest

    Default Did today

    Zags over Washington 2-1 in a men's soccer match that was not nearly that close. Just for BobZag an East Valley grad scored the winning goal.
    Last edited by hondo46; 09-07-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: addition

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,727

    Default

    Interesting theory, Doc, but I don't buy it. You mean to tell me there's no pretentiousness in K2, an arena paid for and filled with folks with a lot more money to blow on wine and cheese and than I'll ever have. I think it's GU's underdog story (real or imagined) on the court that appeals to the masses, rather than any comparison made between students/fans at one school or another. My guess is that every school (except Chico State) has its share of snobs, overachievers and just plain hard workers.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greater Tacoma
    Posts
    5,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hondo46 View Post
    Zags over Washington 2-1 in a men's soccer match that was not nearly that close.

    I Love It.

    For Zag soccer that is very good.
    .
    .
    .
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    .
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    .
    I am monitoring the price of a donut
    .

  21. #21

    Default

    Ran a college tuition calculator on what it will cost my daughter to fund 4 years at ZagU beginning in 2025.....try $300 plus G's. Love to do it, but just may send her to state college and invest the rest in blue chips so she can afford to buy her dad season tickets in 2029.
    montanazag88
    P....A....TIENCE!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,864

    Default

    I guess I have to chine in, given all of the above. I'm a UW grad, but have not been a flaming Husky guy for quite a few years, given that I live in Spokane, and get a little sick of the "Seattle thing."

    East Valley HS was mentioned above (Ben Funkhouser), and I have followed their football team for the last few years. They had a playoff game against number one Ferndale a couple of years ago in Bellingham, and I drove through snow to see it. Ferndale was awesome, and won, and I came to respect their incredible quarterback, Jake Locker. Great player, great kid - now the potential "Husky savior/program resurrector." Like I said, a kid of good character.

    I have rooted for Boise State the last few years, given their ability to pull off Gonzaga-like feats. The Oklahoma game was incredible. What a thrill!

    So, what to do now? Well, I think I have to pull for the Ferndale kid. Unless the freshman from Prosser (yea for Eastern Washington) gets in the game for BSU, I have to root for UW to "pull an upset." Man, that seems weird to say.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    Interesting theory, Doc, but I don't buy it. You mean to tell me there's no pretentiousness in K2, an arena paid for and filled with folks with a lot more money to blow on wine and cheese and than I'll ever have. I think it's GU's underdog story (real or imagined) on the court that appeals to the masses, rather than any comparison made between students/fans at one school or another. My guess is that every school (except Chico State) has its share of snobs, overachievers and just plain hard workers.
    Might be some pretentiousness Fu.....it's not on yachts or pictured on TV though. Sure some have lots of money to blow on wine, cheese and the like........but its's not shown anywhere.

    If GU's underdog story isn't real ( ie imagined) go back and review the origins of this present decade of good work. Small recruiting budgets, a high school sized gym, very little in the way of travel budgets, etc.

    Travel a bit around the country and you'll soon see why GU is a National favorite. Among many reasons is the surprising run by a small school without the BCS amenities. If fans reflect the school, I can't remember ANY flaunting of wealth or riches. Sure, it might be harder in a smaller basketball venue than an ourdoor BCS stadium......but that notwithstanding..it just ain't there for the nation or region to see.

    And some schools do have snobs.........but this doesn't have much to do with the preception of THIS school. I doubt you'll ever see, yachts, booze, babes or the so called "finer" things in life surrounding a GU basketball game. Hard work is the perception of GU......unless, of course, one cares to alter the perception. Some would like to see GU as a place full of monied, spoiled brats with all sorts of things that usually accompany big money. Seen much of it? I'm on campus twice weekly and I don't.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Gee, I like wine and cheese, does that make me pretentious?

    I have season tickets, does that make me rich?

    Nope and nope.

    In fact I will be missing a few games this year in order to get a nursing degree while I work full time during the day.

    Why go back to school at 46? So I can continue to afford my tickets among other reasons.

    It really annoys me when people assume that those of us with enough Zag love to sacrifice monetarily are painted with an elitist brush.

    And for those people who are quite able to afford those great season tickets without much sacrifice - congratulations!!!

    I hope to be there someday. You have my respect for wealth gained honestly.

    I'm sure you have worked hard to get where you are and I am not the least bit envious or resentful of your prosperity.

    That kind of attitude is for losers. I'm sure it will be met on this board again, though certainly not well met.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,727

    Default

    Yeah Mendi......but what about the Yacht?
    Last edited by MDABE80; 09-08-2007 at 12:33 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •