Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Gonzaga game you have ever been to

DDD vs Pep, Slim Gym, WCC title. 27 points in second half.

Best game: GU-Arizona, NCAA tournament 2003 in SLC.

Most fun game: GU@SMC, 2013 in a 17 point beat-down in front of a completely packed house.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Wins: Beating UW twice in the MAC
    Losses: LMU beat the Zags 90-80 in the early 90's in the Kennel. LMU used a 10 second shot clock. One of the McPhees scored 44 or 45 points for GU.
    The Memphis-GU game in the Spokane Arena when Hytvelt was suspended. The Zags almost pulled out the "W." That was the loudest game I've ever been to.

New Year's Eve 2001
    Zags beat St.Joe's 83-80. Dickau hit a 3-pointer with 3.6 seconds remaining.
    Dickau was HOT on that cold night in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Florida in the '99 Sweet 16
    Missouri (OT) in the Battle in Seattle
    Stanford in the 2nd round of '99 tournament
    Last UW game in the Kennel
    3 or 4 games at UW
    Stanford in the 1994 NIT at Stanford
    1983 two point over Santa Clara and future NBA player Nick Vanos in Kennedy after being down huge at halftime
    The Brody Angley SCU game (most improbable win in Zag history)
    Triple overtime win over Idaho State and nation's leading scorer Lawrence Butler in 1978 in Kennedy
    99 WCC championship win over SCU at SCU
    December '99 game over UW at Key Arena (Santangelo 180 dunk on breakaway)
    '77 win over Weber State in Kennedy on a Scott Finne last second 25' jumper

Whoa whoa whoa. THIS is not fair. MODS, Angelo is posting WAY too many awesome games here. The thread instructions CLEARLY indicate that ONE game is allowed. He posted like 9. Delete? Ban?

Where is that 'report' post button again?
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Default MSG

The first Duke-GU game in the Garden. Long flight, first time to NYC, and a good game even in loss. . Pargo played a gem, but the offense sputtered and only scored 54 points. Plus, it validified my disdain for Duke and their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. THIS is not fair. MODS, Angelo is posting WAY too many awesome games here. The thread instructions CLEARLY indicate that ONE game is allowed. He posted like 9. Delete? Ban?

Better punishment: forced viewing of a compilation video of Adrian Buoncristiani's antics during his coaching career at GU. It would be great if we could get Reed Schifferman to provide analysis.

Default 2012 NCAA Tournament

WVU: nice to see the Zags take them to the woodshed right in their own backyard.
    Ohio St: even though they lost, they hung in there. I don't know if it was noticeable on TV, but it was pretty cool in the final minutes when the Zags went on a run and Big Rob motioned for the Zag fans to stand, even though the vast majority of the crowd were Buckeye fans it was neat seeing just how many Zags fans were all over the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post

Ban him mods, ban yourself mod or I want my money back!

Anarchy cannot stand.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Three way tie for me.

Pepp in SD in 2001.
    Okie St with the banked 3 at the Key
    Missouri (I think ranked third) at the Key

Honorable mention for the game at HEC ED where the Huskies had about an 8 point lead in the first half, and proceeded to miss 22 or 23 straight when the Zags went zone.

MSG vs North Carolina: We celebrated my grand-mother-in-law's 90th birthday in New York that year (she passed away last week at age 97). That game was awesome and was the highlight of the week.

OKC game winning bank-shot in Seattle. That was a great game too.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

It must have been about 4,5 years ago in Spokane Arena, everyone in the house got a small white hand towel, Memphis was ranked above us, and the place was wild.
    only bad thing is we lost by one point, but it was a thrilling game to be part of

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    It must have been about 4,5 years ago in Spokane Arena, everyone in the house got a small white hand towel, Memphis was ranked above us, and the place was wild.
    only bad thing is we lost by one point, but it was a thrilling game to be part of
    Best win, OK state in Key Arena, Morrison's bank
    Best loss, @ Butler, the shove to Kelly and the bucket for the win. Hinkle magic, great environment and great people in the Hoop state.

BIS OT win vs. Quinn's Mizzou with some fearless frosh named Adam.

Best portion of a game was DD vs UP purposely dribbling over to the student section and launching 3's while they were yelling inches from his ears.

One of the best was GU over Wazzu in Bohler Gymnaium in 1966. Wazzu was good back then 2nd only to UCLA in the Pac. We went down and there and paid them back for our loss in Kennedy. I'm pretty sure Hondo made that trip in one of the busses. The best was probably over OSU in Stillwater 12/31/12.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Any number of pick up games on the southern court of the Martin
    Centre......circa '97.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    UGH!

As much as I am one of the truer of true Diehard Zag Fans, I have never been to a game. Just cannot afford to drive longer than STL or Columbia. Really sucks. I missed my chance when they played the Billikens in STL when I was younger, but my dad wouldn't take me.

Go Zags!

I am sure you will have a chance in the future! It gives you something to look forward to!

My favorite game(s) was going to the 2012 Old Spice Classic. The seating is general seating so if you get there early you can sit about 10 feet from the court. And we won all of our games!

Birddog, I was there. In the very first game in Kennedy Pavilion WSU ruined our building opener by a 106-78 score. Gary Lechman had broken his arm in practice a few weeks before and did not play. On Jan. 29th, with a healthy Lechman the Zags travel to Pullman and stunned a very good Coug team 97-82. It would be hard to express the intensity of our disdain for the Cougs or our joy after kicking their butts.

gu vs. Oklahoma state, battle in seattle.
    my seat put me right in line with Morrison's last second 3 point shot.
    as soon as it went up I could see it was off line
    but I then said to myself....maybe...maybe
    then screaming MAYBE BABY!!!

3 That I have been to that were amazing were:
    1. vs Mich ST in Maui
    2. vs OKST in Seattle
    3. vs Missouri in Seattle

I have never seen GU play in the kennel or in the wcc tourny. But this season I am going to go to Vegas. Not sure when I will get to see them in the kennel, hopefully in the next couple of years.

1. GU vs Ok State in the Battle in Seattle. What a shot. The place went crazy for five minutes.

2. GU vs WSU in K2 ion 2011. Pangos freshman year. May have been his first home game. He hit like 7 threes and scored 30+ pts I think. It was sooooooooo cool because we were all waiting to see how good this Canadian kid was. We were NOT disappointed.

3. My first time in K2. I can't even remember who the Zags were playing. It was Morrison' Junior year (I think). I went to see Adam play but I could not take my eyes off the Kennel Club. I was SOOOO impressed with them. I had read about them, and they may be as notorious as Adam Morrison is. And they never let me down. I was so impressed. And that song that comes on before the game begins, and the student body rises up to their feet and stomps through the whole song, was just phenominal. If you have not been to K2 it's a must for every Zag fan. There is a reason no one wants to play Gonzaga in K2.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

1.The Oklahoma state game for me at Key Arena. 2. The Memphis game at the Spokane Arena in 2007 (we lost by 1 point in OT). 3. Gonzaga beating no. 3 Georgia Tech in 2004 at Las Vegas. 4. Gonzaga vs Texas in 2006 at Phoenix

Don't know if it was the best, but the ending in 2004, when Adam hit a shot with essentially no time left against San Fran in the Kennel. The worst: Memphis in the arena (2009), ESPN College Gameday.. I couldn't give away my free black t-shirt fast enough.

The best Gonzaga game I've ever been to…………. is the game in which the Zags achieved their best finish in the NCAA tourney!

March 20, 1999 Phoenix Arizona Elite eight

Gonzaga University Bulldogs vs University of Connecticut Huskies

I'll never forget sitting and looking up at the scoreboard at halftime (GU 32 Uconn 31) and saying we are 20 minutes from the Final Four in St Petersburg Florida!

Hall hit a 3 with 35 sec to move the zags to within 1 at 63-62 and I believed we had the momentum……… but we lost a close one that could have gone either way in the end.

Even though we lost……………. that game and our team will always live in a very special place never to be forgotten for that tourney game and run.

I was at Sweet 16 Florida win which was fun and exciting…………….. but the Elite Eight had the Final Four as the reward and imo that is the Holy Grail of Sports.

Casey my favorite all-time Zag Warrior not giving in even in defeat! That type of competitive attitude is what fuels teams to overachieve.

Like they say show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser! Casey is not a good loser and I loved him for that attitude and I've always wished more Zags had that attitude.

No excuses tough as nails get it done or get outta the way player!

"They just beat the best team in the tournament," said a bitter Bulldogs center Casey Calvary. "It was at the 30-second point when it changed. I really felt confident until the six-second point. That was the first time I felt we were going to lose. I felt confident until then we'd win."