Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Gonzaga game you have ever been to

Default Best Gonzaga game you have ever been to

We all know this upcoming season has the potential to be one of the greatest Gonzaga teams we have ever seen. I am trying to go to the UCLA game this year and it got me thinking, what is the best Gonzaga game you have ever been to? I know there was a post for the top 3 greatest Zag games, but I think being there makes it more special.

My favorite game I went to was in 2006 Gonzaga vs UW in the Kennel. Being from California, I had no idea the rivalry with Washington and that all changed during the week that led up to the game. The Heytvelt alley-oop to open the game had everyone on their feet and was the start of a nice 20 point butt whooping against the #13 team in the nation. My favorite part, which is also my favorite part ever in a Gonzaga game, was when P-Mac hit a 3 pointer and when Washington was coming down the floor, he stole the ball and dunked it. The Kennel erupted and that was the loudest place I have ever been too. The atmosphere during the whole game was something I will never forget and to top off the last rivalry game with a 20 point blowout was a perfect ending.

What is your favorite game you have ever been too?

Zags vs. Tar Heels in MSG. Hansborough got his lunch handed to him by Josh and barely played the second half. The looks of disgust and frustration on the face of UNC fans as we left the Garden decked out in Zag gear was friggin' priceless.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Sweet 16 game in Phoenix in '99 against Florida, hands down. I saw "The Runner" live from a few rows back (poached seats) with the fellas from class of '89. There was nothing like it. Launched us into the Elite Eight. Casey Calvary became immortal that day.

1) UW in the Kennel, Bouldin's freshman year
    2) Ammo's bank shot winner against Oklahoma State in the Key Arena
    Go Zags!!!

#22 Zags (Bouldin, Sacre, Harris) at Illinois

Scary game, but wow, what a finish.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...illinois_N.htm
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    #22 Zags (Bouldin, Sacre, Harris) at Illinois

Scary game, but wow, what a finish.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...illinois_N.htm
    Let me clarify though. That's the best GAME I have been to. The most amazing game and experience was easily St. Mary's at Gonzaga. Man oh man...nothing like seeing (and being IN!! WOOT WOOT!) the Kennel Club. That was 4 and a half years ago, and I STILL get chills thinking about it.

vs. Stanford in 2006 - I believe it was an ESPN game day. Morrison was awesome at the end of that game. Many of the Adam Morrison games that year were so much fun to be at.

I was at that last UW game too. That was a ton of fun also. The Kennel Club was on it's game with the Spencer Hawes and Appleby taunts. I had drank quite heavily before the game started and I lost a lot of energy by the second half. What a first half that was though. I recorded the game on my computer and made dvds for all of my Western Washington family. I still have a couple floating around my house somewhere.
    Bring back the OCC

Hard to say, probably the double OT against Arizona, but it is the best game I have NEVER been to! Haven't been able to get to a single one. Living in Spokane it would seem that at some time I could have made one, but living 25 miles north and as a small business owner, it isn't as easy to re-arrange time...plus, TV always has the best angles, replays etc.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION-

What is the best game that you have never been to, that hasn't yet taken place?

Zags vs Oklahoma State, New Year's Eve 2012. Bell hit the dagger after a perfect screen from Mike Hart.

Afterwards, my son had his picture taken with most of the team.

Wow... good thread.

one that comes to mind first is the Zags at Santa Clara.

Brody Angley (sp) fouls, actually tackles, Steven Gray on an inbound last second play. He sinks two free throws..it goes to OT. Then Austin Daye blows up to take down the Broncos.

Very nice to see all the Rough Riders in shock. Zag smiles were ear to ear after that one.

Go Zags!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

UGH!

As much as I am one of the truer of true Diehard Zag Fans, I have never been to a game. Just cannot afford to drive longer than STL or Columbia. Really sucks. I missed my chance when they played the Billikens in STL when I was younger, but my dad wouldn't take me.

Go Zags!
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

The E8 game in 2014/2015 that put GU into the Final Four.
    It will be great!
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Florida in the '99 Sweet 16
    Missouri (OT) in the Battle in Seattle
    Stanford in the 2nd round of '99 tournament
    Last UW game in the Kennel
    3 or 4 games at UW
    Stanford in the 1994 NIT at Stanford
    1983 two point over Santa Clara and future NBA player Nick Vanos in Kennedy after being down huge at halftime
    The Brody Angley SCU game (most improbable win in Zag history)
    Triple overtime win over Idaho State and nation's leading scorer Lawrence Butler in 1978 in Kennedy
    99 WCC championship win over SCU at SCU
    December '99 game over UW at Key Arena (Santangelo 180 dunk on breakaway)
    '77 win over Weber State in Kennedy on a Scott Finne last second 25' jumper
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Florida in the '99 Sweet 16
    Missouri (OT) in the Battle in Seattle
    Stanford in the 2nd round of '99 tournament
    Last UW game in the Kennel
    3 or 4 games at UW
    Stanford in the 1994 NIT at Stanford
    1983 two point over Santa Clara and future NBA player Nick Vanos in Kennedy after being down huge at halftime
    The Brody Angley SCU game (most improbable win in Zag history)
    Triple overtime win over Idaho State and nation's leading scorer Lawrence Butler in 1978 in Kennedy
    99 WCC championship win over SCU at SCU
    December '99 game over UW at Key Arena (Santangelo 180 dunk on breakaway)
    '77 win over Weber State in Kennedy on a Scott Finne last second 25' jumper
    Show-off

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Show-off
    Blessed.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Oklahoma State Battle in Seattle "Here comes the All-American"
    Western Kentucky NCAA tournament game. "Meech saves the day"
    Not a Zag win but my freshman year watching Steve Nash drop 40 on the Zags was one I will always remember.

Ill just post my favorite games that I have seen on TV: Hahaha

Favorite Wins:

Gonzaga vs. Washington State 2012 - Pangos with 2.2 - First 9-0 Start in GU History.
    Gonzaga vs Illinois in Chicago
    Gonzaga vs Wisconsin and Cincinnati in the Maui Inviatational.
    Gonzaga kills Oklahoma in the Old Spice Classic
    Gonzaga beats UNC In MSG
    Gonzaga beats Florida State in the NCAA Tournament
    Gonzaga vs Akron and Western Kentucky NCAA Tournament

Respectable losses:

Butler in 2013
    @Michigan State, vs. Michigan State Maui Invitational
    Arizona '99
    UCONN NCAA Tournament E8 game.

Make me angry for awhile games:

Wake Forest at home
    Portland State @ Home
    Portland @ Portland this past season
    Arizona in the Battle in Seattle
    The consecutive years we spent messing around @ USF

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Dec 19 2004 ---against Georgia Tech-- watching our Zags take down the #3 team in the nation in Las Vegas.

It happened to be a double header at the Thomas Mack ---- Oklahoma State was there also-- we were scheduled to play them a week later.

After we beat Georgia Tech -- the Oklahoma State fans just laughed and said the Zags would have no shot against them at their place.

Needless to say we met our 2nd #3 team in the nation just over a week later at their place and beat them also-- I guess we can "get lucky" twice in a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Dec 19 2004 ---against Georgia Tech-- watching our Zags take down the #3 team in the nation in Las Vegas.

It happened to be a double header at the Thomas Mack ---- Oklahoma State was there also-- we were scheduled to play them a week later.

After we beat Georgia Tech -- the Oklahoma State fans just laughed and said the Zags would have no shot against them at their place.

Needless to say we met our 2nd #3 team in the nation just over a week later at their place and beat them also-- I guess we can "get lucky" twice in a season.
    YES! Those games were very awesome too!

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

#1 - vs. Florida in 1999
    #2 - vs. Mich. St. in Maui 2005
    #3 - vs. Georgia Tech in Vegas 2004

Great thread....hope the following doesn't derail it too much.

My two favorite non-Zags games:

NC game 1989 - Michigan (Coach Steve Fischer with Glenn Rice and Rumeal Robison) vs. Seton Hall (Coach PJ Carlisimo with the Australian Andrew Gaze). UM won in OT.
    New Year's Eve 2005 - Arizona at UW. B. Roy's coming out party in a loss against Hot Sauce Hasan Adams.
    Go Zags!!!

The Bo Kimble/Hank Gathers Show, Jan 1990.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default 2000 NCAA

Gonzaga defeated Denny Crum Louisville in Tucson in the NCAA. A memorable sequence where Richie Frahm comes out of nowhere to block a breakaway, gets the ball and hits a "3" at the other end.

For me it is not even close:

1999 2nd round win against Stanford - 2 seed. Everyone was just thrilled to be in the second round but there was also just a lingering thought, they maybe can hang with Stanford. Stanford had Madsen, so strong, so strong, and our skinny guys were such pests, such pests. The entire crowd, other than the GU fans and other than the one small section of Stanford fans (most Stanford fans were probably lining up S 16 tix) were just normal Seattle people or fans of other schools and 90% of the arena was pulling for Gonzaga.

I remember reading an account of the game and with 3 minutes remaining, a long time referee ran up the court following a basket and by the press area nd looked over to them, smiled and said "wow, we've got a game here"

My brother, a SCU alum cheering for GU, was beside me. When there was 20 seconds or so left and we were up for good I turned to him and said, "Gonzaga's going to the Sweet Sixteen" and he just rolled his head back like "I can't believe it!" - which, to be fair, no one could.

I think I like it more than the FLA game b/c I wasn't at the FLA game.

Distant Second; WCC Championship, Dickau all American year, against Pepp. He could hit nothing in the first half, nothing. Could not miss in the second when we were on the ropes. Slim gym, 90% Zags, 1000 miles from home.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.