Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If not next year... When?

Default If not next year... When?

Next year is the first time since the 2008-09 season in which Gonzaga has had multiple high level contributors who are either seniors or juniors, and they got quite the talented class coming in on top of that. Really kind of a unique make up relative to any other Zag team, since a high level transfer is joining to boot. This really does have all the makings of a pretty special season. Yet, I think even a sweet sixteen is something of a disappoint if that's how it ends. Yeah, it'll be good to see this group get to that level. But it'd be great to ass another Elite Eight or more. Assuming they go Few32 again, when's the next nebulous season looking like the Zags would have another shot at Tourney greatness? 3 years when these frosh turn seniors? The season after next with further development?

Lots of 4th year players next year.
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

The 08-09 team you referenced only got to the Sweet 16, and was fairly lucky to get that far. In my mind still easily the most talent the Zags have ever had on hand. I'm not holding my breath for an Elite 8 or beyond. Seems like a lot of the optimism for next year is counting on immediate big impacts from Wiltjer and Sabonis and probably one of the other freshman or a quantum leap by somebody like Dranginis or Nunez or ?

I think the optimism revolves around a healthy KP, an improved KD (which seems likely based on his continued upward trend), and bench help from the freshman. We all count on Wiltjer but I think optimism has been fairly tempered, he doesn't need to be Olynyk but a solid 16 & 7 would be huge. I'm not ready to make the "if not now, when" remark only because we never know how new players will do (including KW). Also, we continue to have solid recruiting classes when we need them. I have high hopes for next year, but if not then it will be soon enough. It's only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, it's not just the talent alone, it is the experienced talent. Fourth year players everywhere you look, deep, and high rated incoming players.

It is the type of team that should schedule tough away games like two years ago when scheduled Ok State and Butler for true away games. Play the big name teams early with our experienced group against a (hopefully) less experienced team. Get a win or two that will look very good at the end of the year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Next year is the first time since the 2008-09 season in which Gonzaga has had multiple high level contributors who are either seniors or juniors, and they got quite the talented class coming in on top of that. Really kind of a unique make up relative to any other Zag team, since a high level transfer is joining to boot. This really does have all the makings of a pretty special season. Yet, I think even a sweet sixteen is something of a disappoint if that's how it ends. Yeah, it'll be good to see this group get to that level. But it'd be great to ass another Elite Eight or more. Assuming they go Few32 again, when's the next nebulous season looking like the Zags would have another shot at Tourney greatness? 3 years when these frosh turn seniors? The season after next with further development?

Perk, Melson/KD, KW, Dom and Shem in 15-16 ain't bad. Edwards and Nunez off bench.

We also have Meilke and the walkons that I think are going to be more productive than many think.

NEVER...

Pangos, KW, GB Jr., Shem, KD, GC et al should give us the personnel to make the dream Final4 run we missed on when we lost to WSU.

The key here is simple and it also should be the mentality of the fan base. Final4 or bust! Few needs to steal a few Ollieism's.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...4.photogallery

We need to implement the NASH DRILL immediately! We need to BELIEVE that this year the Final4 will chase us and we will NOT chase the Final4!

We need a coach that is driven to WIN IT ALL! That preaches his belief that winning it all is a reality. UConn had zero McDonald's AA's. What they had was a coach that believed and had FAITH in GREATNESS. DAMMIT its our turn NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do this! I have seen it up close. WE can do it to!

BobZag and I WILL salsa to Indy!! xo

PS: I know how hated I am on this board by almost everyone from the season before last. I just believe that's all. I love U all unconditionally even if you cast stones at me!

The opportunity came and went.
    Harris, Hart, and KO left.

That was their best opportunity and the Morrison team that lost to UCLA was their second best opportunity (although I doubt they would have gotten by Memphis to reach the final four) and they would certainly have been crushed by Florida had they reached the final.

The WSU shockers shot out of their minds against the Zags as evidenced by their piss poor shooting against Pitt in round one. They got hot.

That KO team could have beaten Ohio State and reached the final four. They certainly were more equipped to face Louisville than the Morrison team was to face Florida. Nope...last year was their best chance and I doubt they replicate it in the near future. Those kind of teams (with <5 losses and a very high seed) only come along about once a decade.
    I miss Mike Hart

At this time last year, was anyone out there--anyone--putting up posts on the UConn board asking: if not next year, when?

I have no idea what year it will be. I just know it is going to happen sooner or later and I believe the best Gonzaga team that will go the deepest in March is one we have not yet seen.

I believe KW will have an Adam Morrison type of year. If Few starts Kyle at the 3...which he should...theres NOBODY in the WCC who can even guard him. We will have a solid PG....a very solid SG's (GBJ and KD)....Sabonis is very fundamentally sound and a great passer....and PK in the middle. How much confidence do I have in Wiltjer? I'd take him over Doug McDermitt...that's how much I like Wiltjer. I think Kyle can do more damage than KO did...that's how much. Kyle W can shoot the 3.....he can take it to the hole....he can pass...and he can block shots also....he's a guard in a big mans body..just like KO....except hes more skilled than KO. Go watch the video's again.....the guy can ball....all he needs is the ball and a little help. He's also bigger,quicker..and longer than Morrison....and KW can also create shots.....not to mention he's gonna have a great cast to work with. I think FEW gives this guy the GREEN light.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    At this time last year, was anyone out there--anyone--putting up posts on the UConn board asking: if not next year, when?

I have no idea what year it will be. I just know it is going to happen sooner or later and I believe the best Gonzaga team that will go the deepest in March is one we have not yet seen.
    It's up to the team to think like this much more than for us wistful fans.
    For me it's enough for them to have a great year despite the results of the NCAA crapshoot. Next season should be much more fun than the angst ridden season we've just been through, although I'm yet amazed by the Zag's grit at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    We also have Meilke and the walkons that I think are going to be more productive than many think.
    They are going get more PT for sure!

Wrong again Mick.

Couldn't agree more Jim. Wiltjer is the real deal. Also a very underrated passer. I truly believe he's an all American next season.

Man I hope not! No offense to those kids but something is going terribly wrong if they're playing over any of the top 12.

PK was double teamed by Arizona....next year he comes in even stronger. So strong that 95% of college BB teams will have to double him to keep him off the hoop. Now we have DS (Sabonis..not Stockton) who can burn you if left alone. But, that's not gonna be the big problem....the bigger problem will be who is gonna guard our 6'10" scoring machine KW....whose the size of most team's center. Do you double him? Do teams now dare Pangos to shoot? Good luck with that...and the bench ain't too shabby either. Chemistry won't be a problem either why? Because KP is not a selfish player....neither is GBJ....Sabonis isn't either....and PK will also pass to the open man. KW will score a lot....but he also will pass as needed. Ijust don't think many teams have the talent to cover us next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    I believe KW will have an Adam Morrison type of year. If Few starts Kyle at the 3...which he should...theres NOBODY in the WCC who can even guard him. We will have a solid PG....a very solid SG's (GBJ and KD)....Sabonis is very fundamentally sound and a great passer....and PK in the middle. How much confidence do I have in Wiltjer? I'd take him over Doug McDermitt...that's how much I like Wiltjer. I think Kyle can do more damage than KO did...that's how much. Kyle W can shoot the 3.....he can take it to the hole....he can pass...and he can block shots also....he's a guard in a big mans body..just like KO....except hes more skilled than KO. Go watch the video's again.....the guy can ball....all he needs is the ball and a little help. He's also bigger,quicker..and longer than Morrison....and KW can also create shots.....not to mention he's gonna have a great cast to work with. I think FEW gives this guy the GREEN light.
    In the Wiltjer highlights I do not see him making his own shots like Adam did a half dozen times per game. I also do not see the fire, but very few players could match Ammo's fire anyway. I suppose kyle w. and adam m. are equally porous as defenders.

IF NOT next year when? To me that is obvious. I would not be surprised to see the 15-16 bb team a better team than the 14-15 team, and especially so if Kevin still has turf toe. The super talent of Sabonis, Perkins and Melson as sophomores, coupled with the seasoned talent of karno (hopefully) and Wiltjer could be a phenomenal year for our zags.

Any " lose and you are out" tourney , including the NCAA, is a krap shoot... at this point a " sweet sixteen " is just a expression.... you have to beat some very good teams to get there and it is all about matchups and who is hot and who is not...

I never let my expectations get past the first game , after that, all the teams are very good and anyone can win...a seven and a eight seed played for the championship last year.

You can argue all you want that they were under seeded, I don't think so. They got hot at the right time.

As long as Few is here, Gonzaga will have a chance and for that, I am grateful. Getting to the second (third) round is a remarkable achievement.
    Last edited by bartruff1; 04-19-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    They are going get more PT for sure!
    because of blowouts?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Any " lose and you are out" tourney , including the NCAA, is a krap shoot... at this point a " sweet sixteen " is just a expression.... you have to beat some very good teams to get there and it is all about matchups and who is hot and who is not...

I never let my expectations get past the first game , after that, all the teams are very good and anyone can win...a seven and a eight seed played for the championship last year.

You can argue all you want that they were under seeded, I don't think so. They got hot at the right time.

As long as Few is here, Gonzaga will have a chance and for that, I am grateful. Getting to the second (third) round is a remarkable achievement.
    Darn practical approach for this place bart. Makes to much sense.

The OOC will be a challenge, the WCC conference race is Gonzaga's for the taking, NCAA Tournament Match-ups will decide when the season ends, as they always do.

Go!! Zags!!!

The whole "NCAA is a crap shoot" is a cop out. Gonzaga is probably the only school in a America whose fan base allows it's coach an easy way out of not winning in March. Sorry but we have been in the tournament way to often to not advance to the second weekend at least a few times. "Match ups" don't even really come into play until the sweet 16. Superior teams, more often than not, win their first 2 games.
    Last edited by cggonzaga; 04-19-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Statistics notwithstanding.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    The whole "NCAA is a crap shoot" is a cop out. Gonzaga is probably the only school in a America whose fan base allows it's coach an easy way out of not winning in March. Sorry but we have been in the tournament way to often to not advance to the second weekend at least a few times. "Match ups" don't even really come into play until the sweet 16. Superior teams, more often than not, win their first 2 games.
    Gotta agree. Few, with his otherwise great resume, has never led a team past the sweet 16. He just seems to be completely out of his element when it comes to the NCAA tournament. He knows how to get a couple decent wins in the non-conf and consistently lead the team to the top of the WCC, but anything beyond that just doesn't seem to be high on the priority list. You can see the fans adjusting to this mentality because tournament success is less and less of a priority to them every year also.

If Kanicevic doesn't foul out, St Joe's beats UCONN in the first round imo (like my bracket said). Anything can happen any year. That's why it's a crap shoot. I'd call it a crap shoot if I had never heard of Gonzaga, because that's what it is, esp with the 3 pt line so short. Nothing to do with low expectations or giving Few a "pass".

I do think Few's teams, in general, tend to reflect his personality and get tight at tourney time. Everybody has flaws, yet some people expect perfection from their teams' coaches.

That's why Duke, Syracuse, Florida, North Carolina, Kentucky, Arizona and Kansas win it every year-- because they have the majority of the top recruits and it makes it difficult for the rest of the teams to compete.........oh wait they did not win it again this year with all of the that talent--- I just don't understand why Few can't do at least as well as these schools (yes that is sarcasm).

At some point reality needs to be added into the equation for some of these "Few not doing enough to keep this fan happy" arguments to hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Well gee...if that is the way you feel, don't give him a break... that is entirely up to you.