Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Offers Thread

Default This just might work.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I'd just tell 'em if they don't make the sweet 16 this year, they'll be living in a van down by the river.

Default Iziahiah Sweeney finally finds a home. ( little OT )

2014 Iziahiah Sweeney who had high interest in Gonzaga finally finds a home. Sweeney was on the original 16 open offers last year.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...16-Open-offers

http://verbalcommits.com/players/iziahiah-sweeney

Portland State is getting a nice 3 star player.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I'd just tell 'em if they don't make the sweet 16 this year, they'll be living in a van down by the river.
    What kind of punishment is that? The river is right by the Kennel parking lot!@#$%^
    But we don't play nobody.

Default Define Smurf size please.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    So the era of the Smurf is really over?
    How tall does a guard need to get to not be considered a Smurf?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    How tall does a guard need to get to not be considered a Smurf?

A lot taller than the last half dozen or so guards GU has had.

Default 6' 3" or taller?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    A lot taller than the last half dozen or so guards GU has had.
    Pangos is listed 6'2"
    Bell is listed 6'2"
    David Stockton was listed 5'11"
    Kyle Dranginis is listed 6'5"
    Josh Perkins is listed as 6'3"
    Silas Melson is listed as 6'3"
    Bryan Alberts is listed as 6'5"

Do you consider 6'3" a Smurf?

Its the combination. Average for the three 6-3 min, maybe 6-4. If you have someone small (no matter how much a "baller") you need some longer guys, particularly for defemse. JMO

Default Rose City Showcase Champions.

Stephen Thompson, JeremyHemsley and Kendall Small led SuperiorAthletes to a championship in Portland.

Superior Athletes 68, Northwest Express 55 in the Championship at Rose City Showcase (Portland, OR)

Default Derrik Smits Update

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Future150.com ‏@Future150
    Grassroots Indiana C Derrik Smits claims offers from Butler, Clemson & Xavier. Interest coming from Gonzaga and Purdue.
    https://twitter.com/Future150/status/468820564644077568

Zags still holding interest from this report in January:
    Derrik Smits, a 3-star 7-feet, 220-pound center in the class of 2015 who is the son of Rik Smits, recently had an unofficial visit (along with his dad) to Auburn. Smits reportedly holds offers from Xavier and Clemson, in which he has an interest, and from Butler, regarding which he does not have an interest. ( http://247sports.com/Player/Derrik-Smits-20911 ). 247 Sports reports Gonzaga and Purdue are in "hot pursuit" of Smits, and that Smits has an interest in both schools as well as Xavier, Clemson and Auburn, but while Smits has taken 2 unofficial visits to Purdue, he hasn't visited GU and to date GU hasn't offered.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Default Don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Derrik Smits, a 3-star 7-feet, 220-pound center in the class of 2015 who is the son of Rik Smits, recently had an unofficial visit (along with his dad) to Auburn. Smits reportedly holds offers from Xavier and Clemson, in which he has an interest, and from Butler, regarding which he does not have an interest. ( http://247sports.com/Player/Derrik-Smits-20911 ). 247 Sports reports Gonzaga and Purdue are in "hot pursuit" of Smits, and that Smits has an interest in both schools as well as Xavier, Clemson and Auburn, but while Smits has taken 2 unofficial visits to Purdue, he hasn't visited GU and to date GU hasn't offered.
    Derrik Smits isn't going to be a Zag.

Default Does anyone have a subscription for this link?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Here you go...
    Gardena (Calif.) Bishop Montgomery shooting guard Stephen Thompson has had a highly productive travel season to date playing for Superior Athletes. This past weekend at the Rose City Showcase, the four-star prospect averaged more than 20 points per game playing against some of the top travel teams on the West Coast.

It's that type of production that has some of the top college basketball programs in the region heavily recruiting Thompson.

"San Diego State, Arizona State, Stanford, Gonzaga, Boston College, USC, California and Connecticut are the main ones I've talked to lately," Thompson said.

Thompson recently made the six-hour drive north to visit Stanford.

"I took an unofficial visit to Stanford in April. It went pretty well. I liked it up there. They have a really nice campus. The coaching staff is nice. They made a good run this past season."

The 6-foot-3 shooting guard also made the short trip over to the University of Southern California not too long ago to get a closer look at the Trojans program.

"I went to USC a while ago too. I liked it as well. The coaching staff there is nice. I get along with them really well. Coach [Andy] Enfield is very friendly and energetic about what he does."

While he's yet to see Arizona State's campus, the Sun Devils have a made a strong impression on Thompson.

"I like Arizona State a lot. I haven't been out there on a visit yet, but I'm looking forward to getting out there pretty soon. I talk to Coach [Stan] Johnson and Coach [Herb] Sendek a lot. I like them. They came over to the house for a home visit in April and it went well."

Thompson made the trip to San Diego State in January to take in a game. The Aztec coaching staff returned the favor in April and visited with Thompson and his family at their home during the contact period.

"I really like San Diego State too. Most of their coaching staff came over for a home visit too. We had a good time. They have been talking about how sometimes they get overlooked with academics, but they are getting better and better. With more and more people applying there, they are taking better students."

With his junior year behind him and his senior year rapidly approaching, Thompson has a plan for how his recruitment will play out in the upcoming months.

"I'm still open to all schools. I'm looking at cutting my list down soon here, probably after July. I'll probably take all my official visits and then decide in November."
    - See more at: https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.....M0lC2Lr8.dpuf

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Here you go...
    Thank you ZagNative.

Default Per Josh Gershon

Josh Gershon
    ‏@JoshGershon

Oregon State has to be considered leader. RT @Matteo_Miguel: @JoshGershon any chance you see Thompson Jr landing at Gonzaga?

https://twitter.com/JoshGershon/stat...63044413161473

Stephen Thompson to Oregon State???

Default Report: Wayne Tinkle to add Stephen Thompson to Oregon State coaching staff

With Kerry Rupp and Gregg Gottlieb on board, new Oregon State head coach Wayne Tinkle had one assistant coaching position to fill on his staff. And according to a report from Connor Letorneau of The Oregonian, Tinkle has found his man and the decision could potentially prove fruitful on the recruiting trail.

According to the report Tinkle is expected to hire former Cal-State Los Angeles head coach Stephen Thompson, and that name is probably familiar to older college basketball fans given the fact that Thompson played his college basketball for Jim Boeheim at Syracuse. Thompson spent the last nine seasons as the head coach at CSULA, posting a record of 126-120. He was replaced by Dieter Horton this spring.

However those who follow recruiting closely will pay attention to this hire for another reason: Thompson’s son Stephen Jr., who attended Bishop Montgomery HS, is a 6-foot-3 guard considered to be a Top 100 prospect by many of the major scouting services. The elder Thompson’s reported hiring at Oregon State would mean that two members of the staff have sons who are rated as Top 100 prospects, with Tinkle’s son Tres being the other.

Obviously the fact that Tinkle and Thompson are coaching at Oregon State doesn’t guarantee that their sons will put on an OSU jersey. But the possibility is something to be considered, and it’s something that is sure to get Oregon State fans thinking of what could be.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...oaching-staff/

Blech.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Interesting model being implemented in Corvallis.
    Only so many assistant coaching positions available, though.

Default Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    Coach Tinkle could have Oregon State on the fast track to March Madness in the near future. Great hire for the Beavers.

Default Zoinks!!

Ruh-roh, Raggy!

Thompson and Tinkle would make a nice pair for the Beavers.

Default 2015 ESPN 100

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    Long and less than glorious if not cynical tradition in CBB dating back to at least Danny Manning at KU.

Default Jerry Meyer changes his prediction.

Jerry Meyer Dir. of Basketball Scouting had Stephen Thompson going to GU, now picking Oregon State.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions

http://247sports.com/Player/Stephen-Thompson-30165

Default There could be a new HS basketball power rising in Corvallis.

With Beavers coach Wayne Tinkle hiring Stephen Thompson Jr.'s father as an assistant, four-star recruit could be headed to Corvallis for senior season.

More at this link.
    http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...medium=twitter

Tres Tinkle, Stephen Thompson Jr and his brother Ethan Thompson all on the same high school basketball team would be crazy good.

Will be ok in 2015. With Perkins/Melson/Alberts/Dranginis/Nunez and possibly another transfer coming in. If we don't nab someone of high caliber in 2015 I really hope we land Jermaine Haley in 2016. Haley is a guy I can see coming in right away and having a huge impact.

Im sure behind the scenes we have more going on than we realize, it almost is never what it seems.
    America's Team!

Apparently, I have not followed this thread long enough to keep tally.

How many open scholarship offers do we still have out there as of today, June 12?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few