X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hondo
    Zag for Life
    • May 2009

Most Zag fans still have pretty good feelings toward Kelly. I would hate to see him screw that up.

Comment

• sylean
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by spudzag View Post
      Taking assistants is pretty common places, and expected as much when they didn't show at the press conference. Stealing players who have signed letters is well beneath my expectation of him.
      I think coaching is not the play nice job that people usually think.......its always about moving up and on....and taking assistants is very much the normal, sadly......the only thing that confuses me and worries me is the fact that the "rumor" started several weeks ago which means this coaching change has been in the works for some time IMO.....it was low class for the other assistants not to go to Lisa's indroduction.......afterall, all these folks praised the Gonzaga "family" etc etc for all their time there.....did that suddenly dissappear?.....if our LOI recruits are stolen, then we're all going to have to pull up our big girl/big boy pants and understand that perhaps the program and the school did not mean as much to some as we all were told all these years.....just saying.......we only had one recruit last year....just one....that means unless we get transfers we're going to have one lonely senior class in a few years.....thank God we've got some commits coming but we really do need the ones already committed.....its the same school....the same fans...the same nucleus of a great team and probably the same coach that recruited them.....the table is set for a great, great year....

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

You guys speculate away. Kelly has done nothing to hurt Gonzaga, he hasn't raided our coaches or recruits. Lisa and Jodie worked things out before the interviews and neither would stay and be the #2 behind the other. Powell was never going to be here longterm, and Vivian helped gather scouting film.

Now Lisa earns 2-3 times more than ever, Kelly gave her her first job... Same with Jodie. Same with Viv. The GU program was a D3 joke when Kelly arrived and now it's a top-25 program. We're getting every recruit. Bando is the only one having second thoughts, and that's only because she's a Eugene girl. Cornelius will decide if she wants to rehab her knee in Holland or at Gonzaga, it's totally up to her. But we'll still take her whenever she wants to come.

And yet some let their speculation be truth. Well, there's the JFK conspiracy to solve too. Better get on it.
        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• sylean
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2010

Vivian is gone too?.....

anyway, how are we supposed to know that Lisa and Jody had an agreement?....we're not privy to it...the other coaches didn't show up to Lisa's introduction and as far as we know, there was not a public congratulations....

I went to some of those first games so I do know how the Lady Zag program was.....KG has built it up nicely......we can thank him for that.....but, fans paid money and made donations and came to games and go to Las Vegas for the tourney and yes, there is a set of us who go almost exclusively to follow the girls games....and KG has been paid very handsomely has he not?....

point is...he was a good fit for us, and we for him.....

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Why would any other coaches attend? Once the choice was made, they split. Everybody is happy for everybody. Now Lisa gets to establish her very own staff, in her own image, so to speak. Kelly took those who wanted to follow him, but he could've brought in completely different assistants with all his connections. But Lisa has her own connections and I know of two of her assistants and we'll all be very happy with them.

Kelly was a great fit at GU, he put in 14 years and built it up ground zero. Now he'll put in about 14 years max at UO and retire, he'll be 65. He told me today this is his last job. And he thinks Lisa will do terrific.

Bando is the one recruit who might decommit. Kelly is not in touch with her and Lisa is on her, but 80% recruits choose a school based on the coach who recruited them. It happens.

But Lisa will have a loaded team to start her career with. Kelly made sure of that.

Comment

• spudzag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

As I mentioned before I have no problem with Graves taking the staff with him, I think it's for the best. Lisa needs everyone supporting her not reminding her of what Kelly would do.

I read from your post that you talked with Kelly directly and are relaying part of you conversation. I appreciate that perspective. The way things went down it does have the feeling of being prearranged which tends to lead to speculation, right or wrong, or maybe just a different perspective.

But whatever, I'm behind Lisa, want her to be successful and have a staff she selects and are behind her 100%. End of story.

You appear to be saying Jill Barta is on board, which I hope is the case. With all due respect Lisa should be saying that publicly. Positive press releases during the transition are important. I'm also fine if Lexi Bando wants to back out of her LOI. The only thing I'm not okay with is seeing her on the Oregon roster without sitting out a year.

I'm excited to see Lisa and her new team announced and get after it.

(By the way are you saying there was a second gun on the grassy nole?)

Comment

• ZaGranny
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2013

Who knew?

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                You guys speculate away. Kelly has done nothing to hurt Gonzaga, he hasn't raided our coaches or recruits. Lisa and Jodie worked things out before the interviews and neither would stay and be the #2 behind the other. Powell was never going to be here longterm, and Vivian helped gather scouting film.

Now Lisa earns 2-3 times more than ever, Kelly gave her her first job... Same with Jodie. Same with Viv. The GU program was a D3 joke when Kelly arrived and now it's a top-25 program. We're getting every recruit. Bando is the only one having second thoughts, and that's only because she's a Eugene girl. Cornelius will decide if she wants to rehab her knee in Holland or at Gonzaga, it's totally up to her. But we'll still take her whenever she wants to come.

And yet some let their speculation be truth. Well, there's the JFK conspiracy to solve too. Better get on it.
                BobZag--the voice of reason!

Thanks BZ.

ZaGranny
                Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

Comment

• Zaglaw
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Yes, thanks BZ. I have complete confidence in Lisa and can't wait to learn who the new assistants are. I look forward to an energized, fresh approach to take us to the next level.

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

The things about the two assistants I know about are both are young, full of energy, good-looking, and real go-getters. They won't be outhustled or outworked.

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

1. Jill Barta is a Zag and will continue to be a Zag. I have 3 sources on this. Wolfram + Barta will be a great frontcourt for 4 years, and Shelby and Sunny are back for a year or two, too.

2. Yes, Lisa would've followed Kelly. Lisa and Craig have made two moves already, once due to a job opening for Craig, once for a job for Lisa. To Colorado, back to Spokane.

I understand there will be hard feelings, suspicions and all the rest. We've all seen athletes and coaches give big chunks of their lives to schools, clubs or teams, and get booed if they leave. It happens. I get it. That's life. So there is no good reason for me to post on this anymore. I'm not going to convince anybody differently from what they already have set in their minds. And that's fine too.

I do think y'all will be very happy with the new assistants. I, too, wish they'd hurry and announce them, though.

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Relax folks. This ain't as complicated as NASA.
                        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• bigblahla
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Thanks BZ...for this Zag fan Barta is the key player in the incoming class.

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
                          "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                            Thanks BZ...for this Zag fan Barta is the key player in the incoming class.

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
                            Me too.

Comment

• spudzag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Bando parts ways with Gonzaga, chooses Oregon.

Comment

• a13coach
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Disappointing, but good luck Lexi.
                                There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
                                Those who understand binary and those who do not.
                                "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO
                                sigpic
                                E .· ` ' / ·. F
                                The FOO fuels me.

Comment

Working...
                                X